Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
but don't you realize how closed-minded and evil you're being by ostracizing the people who want us and you to be dead, instead of devoting your life to gently attempting to change their minds :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if I was her I'd go, and if she saw me I'd say something like "I'm here to show my support, since I knew people were going to come to protest"

which is all of true, not outing you, and also really loving passive aggressively directly targeted at the shitbag friend that she seems hellbent on keeping for some stupid reason

In a best case scenario, she realizes her parent’s beliefs are incongruent with her friend and reality and becomes better for it.

In the worst case, it just reinforces those beliefs.

In the fun scenario, she just starts repeating the last thing she said over and over and then smoke comes out of her ears.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awwww poor nervous dude

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

YeahTubaMike posted:

i think that being friends with people who have way WAY different personal beliefs than you might be a white people thing

as a black person i can't be friends with trump supporters or blue lives matter people or anything like that

Maybe, but being friends with people who think your very existence is an affront to God is a spineless people thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

God is a spineless people thing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nessa posted:

A dirty house can really kill any motivation to keep yourself clean. It can kill motivation to do anything at all and is a huge source of stress and depression.

I grew up in a hoarder house and had terrible hygiene. When everything around you is dirty and smelly, you don't see much point in getting clean. Most of the time, I had no idea how bad I smelled. I had to have it pointed out to me by the school councillor after numerous complaints about me by both students and teachers. It was one of the most embarrassing days of my life!

Sometimes I get paranoid that I smell bad but no one will tell me, just avoid me. I can ask my wife, but what if she just doesn't smell it anymore?

I try to live by the rule that if you can smell yourself, even a little bit, you smell a lot to other people. There really should be some kind of service you can go to, though.

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

Sometimes I get paranoid that I smell bad but no one will tell me, just avoid me. I can ask my wife, but what if she just doesn't smell it anymore?

I try to live by the rule that if you can smell yourself, even a little bit, you smell a lot to other people. There really should be some kind of service you can go to, though.

do your genitals smell is really all that matters.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
if you shower and put on clean clothes before leaving the house you shouldn't smell bad unless like you have some sort of medial condition. It's not really a difficult thing to achieve.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

La Brea Carpet posted:

Recently invited a girl over and it went terrible, please help

The random Capitalization is making me think of the otter guy, I Don't remember his Name.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
From /r/legaladvice we have peak Florida Man!

[FL] My neighbor has basically booby trapped his front yard, what can I legally do about it?

quote:

So I live in a house in a south Florida suburb where the streets are wide enough to allow street parking (legally) for guests as most houses only have a small driveway to fit a couple cars tops. This has never been an issue in the 3 years I've lived here but lately my neighbor has gotten really obsessed about people driving "up his lawn" and scuffing his grass when they park and this week decided to do something about it.

His grass goes all the way to the street and when people turn in to park they sometimes drive maybe a foot onto his grass if they're really careless. I've always told my guests to park away from his house because I know how angry he gets about it and I don't want the hassle. However said neighbor has now placed several rebar posts with the tops sharpened to tips right at the edge of his grass and they're low enough in that they're hard to spot if you're driving by or unfamiliar with the street. I asked the neighbor about it when I was walking my dog and he said that if people are gonna be dicks and drive on his lawn they deserve to get their tires punctured.

I have to assume that there is no way this is legal, but what exactly can I do about it? Is this something I should call the city about or is it a police matter?

EDIT: I've called the police non-emergency line from work and they said they would send out someone to take a look and talk to the neighbor if need be. I'll update when something happens.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

YeahTubaMike posted:

i think that being friends with people who have way WAY different personal beliefs than you might be a white people thing

as a black person i can't be friends with trump supporters or blue lives matter people or anything like that

It's an extremely white thing. Viewing "political differences" as some minor academic issue is something that takes enormous privilege, to be so insulated from politics that it's all just not worth ruining a friendship over. I mean everyone's entitled to their views and it's wrong to fall out over that, if you decide not to hang out with people based on something so minor as politics you're clearly only comfortable in a political echo chamber.

Like I've just stopped hanging out with some friends because they got huge into Jordan Peterson, "race realism", and steer every possible subject into a rant about "those loving SJW's". When I mention that to some people they're extremely shocked, like how could I let something as minor as politics get in the way of hanging out with someone I otherwise find fun???

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I imagine the cost of the lawsuits would move him out of that neighborhood at some point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In regards to Pride, do people really protest that stuff? I mean, it's been ages since I went to pride myself, but it covers several streets and it's in a huge City Park, so I guess there could be protesters but most people would never notice them.

I remember, almost 20 years ago, when I wasn't entirely sure I was gay or not, I was at college, and saw some flyer for a gay-straight Alliance Club. I decided to check it out, but while I was waiting in the hallway about 10 minutes before the meeting started, I saw a girl I knew from several of my classes. I internally panicked, especially when she came over, also looking somewhat unsure, and we shot the poo poo for a few minutes before she finally asked what I was doing there, in this big empty hallway. I made up something like, oh I'm here because I don't think gay people should be treated the way they are and they should be able to get married and all. Her face lit up, and then she too said yeah I'm here for the gay meeting but none of my friends or family know.

As for politics, I find it pretty easy to cut people out, if they say they admire president Trump or Mike Pence, even after I asked them about the whole gay conversion thing, or the abortion thing etc. People who tell me that they love the sinner but hate the sin, can go die in a fire. I don't want to be in a political Echo chamber, but nor do I have to surround myself with people that wouldn't piss on a fire to put me out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pride is corporate af

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

In regards to Pride, do people really protest that stuff? I mean, it's been ages since I went to pride myself, but it covers several streets and it's in a huge City Park, so I guess there could be protesters but most people would never notice them.
Sometimes. Pride in Milwaukee usually has a small, sad group of people protesting it, although there's also usually a larger, less sad group of PFLAG people counter-protesting. But it's also shoved in the festival park, so there's an obvious entrance to protest by.

Pick posted:

Pride is corporate af
This is still true though. It can be fun but people shouldn't go under the illusion that it's anything but an excuse to get drunk and gawk at half-naked people.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

dudeness posted:

The random Capitalization is making me think of the otter guy, I Don't remember his Name.

Enhydra Lutis, I think. IIRC it was just an Avshalom alt which really just convinced that everything beautiful in this world is a lie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was Avshalom but she owns, she’s like the best writer on the forums

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I know but I wanted it to be real very much

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s real Avshalom

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (30F) boyfriend (28M) inadvertently said something to my dad which caused my dad (63M) to commit suicide. I am not sure how to comfort him, or how to deal with this at all.

So my mom died from a heart attack earlier this year, completely out of the blue. Obviously me and my dad were distraught. My dad moved into the town I live in and we sort of reignited our friendship after not talking much the past 5 years. He also became really good friends with my boyfriend, who he liked a lot.

One night, my boyfriend and my dad and me all went to a bar and we just hung out, then we went back to my apartment and I fell asleep. Apparently my dad and my boyfriend got into some deep discussion about life and stuff. My dad prompted the conversation. The conversation apparently went towards how my dad was supposed to live a normal life after my mom died, and my boyfriend in an attempt to comfort him said that his dad died as well and his mom lived a normal happy life after, even if it wasn't entirely the same. Apparently my dad started asking what her life was like and my boyfriend just said she spends most of her time alone with her hobbies and her job and that she has a few friends. My bf said my dad looked sad after that, then he left. He took his car and drove about 4 miles away to the side of the road, and shot himself. He wrote a suicide note on his phone for us to read about how he could not stand the idea of just living by himself without his wife. He said that he tried to stay happy and alive but that he recently has thought about what his life might be like, alone in the future, and it scared him too much. In the note, he apparently said a few things which were similar to what my bf described his mother as being like, and he described how he didn't want to be like that, and that it wasn't worth it. Apparently the gunshot was heard at around 12:05, meaning he shot himself only 30 minutes after leaving our apartment. The note was written at 11:59.

Obviously I was devastated for days after. I didn't know my dad very well really, he wasn't around for the first 20 years of my life because he was in and out of jail (organized crime and what not) and even after that I only spent a tiny bit of a time with him. Then we got into a big fight over something and I sort of cut off most communication until my mom died. But the past few months I got to know him better than all of the years past combined. I realized I knew such a small amount about his life really, I knew he was an emigrant from northern Ireland and lived through the troubles but he never talked about that much. I learned he was a hardline marxist, something I also never knew. It was interesting really talking to him more for the first time in my life. Regardless, my own mourning over this is not the topic of the post.

My boyfriend is insanely distraught over this. When he found out he locked himself in the bathroom and didn't speak for like an hour. Then he told me the conversation he had with my dad, and I realized why he was so unbelievably horrified at this. He feels like he caused this. He read the suicide note, and how much it correlated with his own story of how he described his mom. He just emotionally burst out into tears and left our apartment and didn't come back for hours.

Its been 5 days since. He hasn't really gotten better. But he told me he doesn't want to focus on himself because it was my dad, not his dad. But I could literally see in his face how hard this is for him, I don't even know how I would feel in this case. That would devastate me to know what I said caused a man to commit suicide. I saw his hands literally shaking while he was eating dinner and then he randomly got up and went to his room without saying a word. He then took two days off of work to stay in the house all day.

I told him he should go to therapy, he said he can't afford it, and that he is fine, and that I should be the one upset, and that he is just being a baby and that he will get over it. I told him, please do not downplay how terrible this is just because it was my dad and not yours. I would be absolutely loving torn apart if my words accidentally lead to someone commiting suicide.

I told him it isn't his fault, and that he likely was suicidal beforehand. But he cried again and mentioned in the suicide note he says he was 'happy and was coming to terms' before a 'recent revelation' made him realize how lonely he was going to be without his wife. He said that made him horrified, and confirmed it was his words that lead my dad to suicide. I wasn't even sure what to say. He was right. Even if he was trying to cheer up my dad, its obvious that what he said was the catalyst that lead to him killing himself. I didn't tell him that, but still. My boyfriend kind of broke down and said "I feel like I loving killed him" and I just told him no, no, no you didn't do that at all. He said he knows, but he cant help but feel that way.

What do I do? How do I deal with this? I just... idk, I feel terrible. I am sad about my dad but to be honest I barely even knew the man that well, and the times I did see him were mostly negative encounters growing up. I almost feel like he is way more broken up about this entire situation than me.

TL;DR - - my boyfriend said something to my dad which became the catalyst which resulted in my dad killing himself. My boyfriend is absolutely destroyed by this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That would fuckin' destroy me too but I'd also have buried it deep inside and put on a fantastic act comforting my girlfriend whose father died.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LadyPictureShow posted:

They pull that poo poo even in the worst restaurants. My first job was a summer job at an Italian restaurant. I found out the place was failing and nobody gave a poo poo about the job anymore.

We refused to comp just about everything. And if somebody demanded to talk to the manager, whoever they said that to just so happened to be the manager. A guy yelled at me because I wouldn’t take his meal off the bill. I just shrugged and said ‘well, you shouldn’t have said everything was fine and eaten the whole thing if it was awful’.

Content:
I (32 m) am in a school with a classmate (30s m) that believes in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and I'm Jewish.

Problem is that this is a small school and I feel he'll be ostracized and by himself if I do that.

Good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Downers like that should get a fuckin’ week probe.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

chitoryu12 posted:

Should I (25F) talk to my transgender girlfriend (28F) about her wig?

They've somehow spent two years mutually pretending that he doesn't know about her wig, without a single comical mishap where he accidentally pulls it off?

This is actually a very :3: problem. Thank you for posting it. I hope there is an update where the OP tells her fiancée how awful she feels that the fiancée feels the need to hide something so superficial when she loves her no matter what. And the fiancée is happy and relieved and they live happily ever after, always being considerate of eachothers emotions.

Sorry if this is a double post. I'm on my phone and obviously several pages behind.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I call bullshit on Dad’s note. No one goes from “perfectly content” to “immediate suicide” over the course of one conversation.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Haifisch posted:

I [19/F] want to go to Pride this year, but I'm worried about seeing my friend [20/F] there

Now kiss

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I call bullshit on Dad’s note. No one goes from “perfectly content” to “immediate suicide” over the course of one conversation.

It's certainly in the realm of the possible. He was likely feeling suicidal for awhile and then an introspective conversation made up his mind

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

It's certainly in the realm of the possible. He was likely feeling suicidal for awhile and then an introspective conversation made up his mind

That’s what I mean though, he would have already been in the realm.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (30F) boyfriend (28M) inadvertently said something to my dad which caused my dad (63M) to commit suicide. I am not sure how to comfort him, or how to deal with this at all.

So my mom died from a heart attack earlier this year, completely out of the blue. Obviously me and my dad were distraught. My dad moved into the town I live in and we sort of reignited our friendship after not talking much the past 5 years. He also became really good friends with my boyfriend, who he liked a lot.

One night, my boyfriend and my dad and me all went to a bar and we just hung out, then we went back to my apartment and I fell asleep. Apparently my dad and my boyfriend got into some deep discussion about life and stuff. My dad prompted the conversation. The conversation apparently went towards how my dad was supposed to live a normal life after my mom died, and my boyfriend in an attempt to comfort him said that his dad died as well and his mom lived a normal happy life after, even if it wasn't entirely the same. Apparently my dad started asking what her life was like and my boyfriend just said she spends most of her time alone with her hobbies and her job and that she has a few friends. My bf said my dad looked sad after that, then he left. He took his car and drove about 4 miles away to the side of the road, and shot himself. He wrote a suicide note on his phone for us to read about how he could not stand the idea of just living by himself without his wife. He said that he tried to stay happy and alive but that he recently has thought about what his life might be like, alone in the future, and it scared him too much. In the note, he apparently said a few things which were similar to what my bf described his mother as being like, and he described how he didn't want to be like that, and that it wasn't worth it. Apparently the gunshot was heard at around 12:05, meaning he shot himself only 30 minutes after leaving our apartment. The note was written at 11:59.

Obviously I was devastated for days after. I didn't know my dad very well really, he wasn't around for the first 20 years of my life because he was in and out of jail (organized crime and what not) and even after that I only spent a tiny bit of a time with him. Then we got into a big fight over something and I sort of cut off most communication until my mom died. But the past few months I got to know him better than all of the years past combined. I realized I knew such a small amount about his life really, I knew he was an emigrant from northern Ireland and lived through the troubles but he never talked about that much. I learned he was a hardline marxist, something I also never knew. It was interesting really talking to him more for the first time in my life. Regardless, my own mourning over this is not the topic of the post.

My boyfriend is insanely distraught over this. When he found out he locked himself in the bathroom and didn't speak for like an hour. Then he told me the conversation he had with my dad, and I realized why he was so unbelievably horrified at this. He feels like he caused this. He read the suicide note, and how much it correlated with his own story of how he described his mom. He just emotionally burst out into tears and left our apartment and didn't come back for hours.

Its been 5 days since. He hasn't really gotten better. But he told me he doesn't want to focus on himself because it was my dad, not his dad. But I could literally see in his face how hard this is for him, I don't even know how I would feel in this case. That would devastate me to know what I said caused a man to commit suicide. I saw his hands literally shaking while he was eating dinner and then he randomly got up and went to his room without saying a word. He then took two days off of work to stay in the house all day.

I told him he should go to therapy, he said he can't afford it, and that he is fine, and that I should be the one upset, and that he is just being a baby and that he will get over it. I told him, please do not downplay how terrible this is just because it was my dad and not yours. I would be absolutely loving torn apart if my words accidentally lead to someone commiting suicide.

I told him it isn't his fault, and that he likely was suicidal beforehand. But he cried again and mentioned in the suicide note he says he was 'happy and was coming to terms' before a 'recent revelation' made him realize how lonely he was going to be without his wife. He said that made him horrified, and confirmed it was his words that lead my dad to suicide. I wasn't even sure what to say. He was right. Even if he was trying to cheer up my dad, its obvious that what he said was the catalyst that lead to him killing himself. I didn't tell him that, but still. My boyfriend kind of broke down and said "I feel like I loving killed him" and I just told him no, no, no you didn't do that at all. He said he knows, but he cant help but feel that way.

What do I do? How do I deal with this? I just... idk, I feel terrible. I am sad about my dad but to be honest I barely even knew the man that well, and the times I did see him were mostly negative encounters growing up. I almost feel like he is way more broken up about this entire situation than me.

TL;DR - - my boyfriend said something to my dad which became the catalyst which resulted in my dad killing himself. My boyfriend is absolutely destroyed by this.

The ultimate own

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dunno, seemed to happen to Anthony Bourdain

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Nobody ever really knows what’s going through other people’s minds. We all put on a mask every morning and mouth platitudes and smile and so forth, but inside all hell can be breaking loose.

I think about suicide every single day of my life, but pretty much everyone who knows me would think I was a cheerful guy, only my GF and my best friend know otherwise, and I only tell them a small portion of my real feelings. The recent spate of famous celebrities and musicians taking their own lives makes me think I’m not the only one who does this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

somebody mentioned they were watching Parts Unknown and Bourdain 'joked' a lot about suicide. things like that aren't actionable by themselves but it's not impossible he kinda faked being in a good mood for the cameras, friends, and family

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

That was also very jarring to me as well. Ah you described retired life to me, wait, nobody said it was boring :rip:

and something about the bf locking himself in the bathroom for an hour was weird too idk

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

In a best case scenario, she realizes her parent’s beliefs are incongruent with her friend and reality and becomes better for it.

I've known quite a few people this happened to. They were super homophobic until they learned that a close friend of theirs was gay, and realized that gay people aren't like their preacher (and often, parents) describe them to be. Actually meeting and getting to know minorities does a lot to dispel those attitudes.

Though it's not guaranteed, of course.

I say go for it and find out which kind of person the friend is.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Can I just ask that if you're posting a giant rear end wall of text and its some wretched story with no advice to give where a family takes turn suiciding over pokemon or w/eva , that maybe as a courtesy toss some kind of heads up somewhere for those who find those stories dull, namaste

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I’m (23 M) starting to feel put off by my girlfriends (23 F) sexual desires (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

Me and my GF have been together officially for about 2 months now. But we were basically living as a couple being together nearly 24/7 for 6 months now. Before that, we were best friends for 3 years.
Our relationship has been amazing for the most part. We have been extremely open, honest, and understanding of each other. We really are in love with each other.

Over the last two weeks though, things have changed. She has expressed a strong passion towards me being a dom and having a daddy/daughter type of thing. We have had rough sex in the past, but she really wants to take it to the next level.

So over the last two weeks, our dynamic has changed. She acts extra fussy randomly and expects me to correct her or even punish her. And sex always has to be demanding and really forcing myself onto her.

While I can be rough and dominant at times, this is something that I’m really not enjoying every single time we have sex. And she wants it multiple times a day. It’s going as far as taking an emotional toll on me. I really do love her and I have a hard time being aggressive with her, even when faking it. It doesn’t feel right to me and it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I’ve expressed to her that I don’t feel comfortable and I don’t feel like I’m doing it good, but she insists that it’s good and that I’ll get more comfortable but I need to do it more.

I’d just like to hear some advice on what to do regarding this?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My GF wanted to have sex with a stranger for money. I wanted to have a threesome. Which is worse?

u/BritOnTheEdge

quote:

So my GF and I had a minor fight. We've previously discussed having threesomes. I'm not wholly against either 2 guys or 2 girls, though we did discuss that 2 girls would mean I would still only have actual sex with her, which was fine.

We nearly had one with a mutual friend, and my GF was drunk and at one point absolutely mad about the idea of my loving this friend. However she also claims now that when sober she's not really into the idea, which is fine, just seems like a change of opinion.

I said the other day that I wouldn't mind having sex with another girl in a threesome as I thought this was a commonly accepted part of the act and not an issue. I wouldn't really mind her loving me and another guy and I wouldn't see it as cheating. But she was very unhappy about this. I feel like I'm basically being called disloyal.

However, she said tonight that she wanted to be "self-destructive" and gently caress a random guy if he paid her for it since she wants money. We live long-distance. She also found it hypocritical and amusing that I'd have an issue with it, since I've previously supported the idea of her camming and the idea of a threesome. She also said she'd gently caress 10 guys tomorrow if they paid.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I can't understanding how wanting to gently caress another girl in a consenting threesome is in any way worse than offering to gently caress 10 guys without passion or love because they'll pay.

Help.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My parents[58f, 59m] are giving me[25f] an ultimatum concerning my fiancee's[23f] leg hair.

quote:

Hi all. I'm facing a bit of a dilemma centering around the upcoming 4th of July weekend.

My fiancee doesn't shave. Besides just plain not wanting to, she has extremely sensitive skin and the process is tortuous for her. She's already tried many products, none of them work for her. She's also a naturally very hairy person; her leg hair is quite dark and noticeable. My parents have expressed their discomfort with her natural hair before, and I just walked out of the conversation because I'm not about to tell her what to do with her body. I don't mind her hair one bit myself.

Here's the issue. A couple months ago, just before Easter, which was the first time she was going to meet the rest of my family, my father brought her hair up to me again. He told me how uncomfortable and embarrassed it made him and my mom, and how it would make the rest of the family uncomfortable too. He told me I should suggest to her that she should shave. I told him I wouldn't tell her what to do with her body, and he gave me something of an ultimatum: either she shaves her legs around our family, or he and my mother will not be attending gatherings with us.

I don't know how true that is. He also framed it as if my fiancee should be doing everything in her power to be accepted by our family because we're gay, and shaving her legs would be a sign of respect and show an attempt to assimilate into our family. The irony of that is that my parents are way more homophobic than my extended family. Before I came out, my dad called around to everyone and told them to watch out for a "big announcement" from me in their emails, and he was certain things were going to go badly. When I announced our engagement, which simultaneously served as my "coming out," I was met with nothing but love and adoration, even from my 92-year-old grandmother. When I brought my fiancee to Easter (she was wearing long pants), everyone was very kind to her. My aunt even gifted us a cute couple picture frame and a congratulations card. So I don't think my fiancee shaving her legs is an effective or necessary way of "showing respect" to the family, but who knows.

Anyway, this issue was avoided when it was cold for Easter, but I know we're going to be invited to my uncle's house for 4th of July celebrations. It's going to be hot and my fiancee is going to want to wear shorts or a skirt. What should I tell her? I'm 99% sure she's not going to shave no matter what, but she's already anxious about being accepted by my whole family due to the homophobia my parents showed her in the past. Telling her that my dad gave us this dumb ultimatum will just upset her more. If we do go to the gathering and my parents make good on their promise not to come with us, how do I deal with feeling like a lovely daughter because of it? What the hell would I tell people when they ask where my parents are?

tl;dr Parents told me if my fiancee doesn't shave her legs, they won't attend any family gatherings with us, and if my fiancee truly respected our family, she would shave her legs. 4th of July family party rapidly approaching.

:shhh: It's not about the leg hair

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CheesyDog posted:

My GF wanted to have sex with a stranger for money. I wanted to have a threesome. Which is worse?

u/BritOnTheEdge

It’s always a good sign when your significant other says “I want to be self-destructive.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s always a good sign when your significant other says “I want to be self-destructive.”

If you imagine his girlfriend as a Voltorb it all makes sense