Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

silicone thrills posted:

Protesting is about all that's left I guess. :\

Anything short of a human chain blocking the building is going to do gently caress all tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

whomupclicklike posted:

Anything short of a human chain blocking the building is going to do gently caress all tho
drat, Mao was right again.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

can someone (kirsten harris talley? nikkita?) please run against and replace bruce in 2019?

https://twitter.com/dbeekman/status/1006252732817104897?s=21

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

can someone (kirsten harris talley? nikkita?) please run against and replace bruce in 2019?

https://twitter.com/dbeekman/status/1006252732817104897?s=21

He is the loving worst, and the Stranger endorses him every loving election for some unknown loving reason.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Thanatosian posted:

He is the loving worst, and the Stranger endorses him every loving election for some unknown loving reason.

It looks like everyone but Mosqueda and Kshama signed on to a letter saying they will vote to repeal the tax.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Last week a woman paid in quarters at an Egyptian food cart, and the food cart owner got really upset, used the n-word, and threw things at the woman http://www.wweek.com/restaurants/2018/06/06/owner-of-downtown-food-cart-arrested-for-assaulting-customer-with-gatorade-bottle-and-sriracha/ http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/06/portland_food_cart_owner_relea.html

Since then, people have been harassing a completely different Egyptian food cart http://www.wweek.com/restaurants/2018/06/11/angry-portlanders-are-harassing-the-wrong-egyptian-food-cart/

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

DevNull posted:

It looks like everyone but Mosqueda and Kshama signed on to a letter saying they will vote to repeal the tax.

The paid signature collectors were out in force about this. If we can't get this through, imagine the poo poo fest an income tax would generate.

friendlyfire fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 12, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Good old trial by media succeeds again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I'm sure it was nice while it lasted. https://twitter.com/AP/status/1006647050920976384

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

That is super hosed up

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Big business: "Homelessness isn't that bad, we will hire a consultant to prove it!"

Consulant: "it will cost $400m to fix homelessness."

Big business: "poo poo. We can't afford that..."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Big business: "Homelessness isn't that bad, we will hire a consultant to prove it!"

Consulant: "it will cost $400m to fix homelessness."

Big business: "poo poo. We can't afford that..."

Let's not forget that Amazon et al pulled this off by hiring a bunch of signature gatherers, and the city council didn't even make them fight, just loving gave up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think even if Seattle City Council had held their ground, Amazon would have won just from sheer money, apparent goodwill as being a "job creator" and the Seattle Times constantly :qq:ing about it.

That's not to say they shouldn't have held their ground (they absolutely should, spineless cowards), but it's hard to see a winning strategy when Amazon cheats.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I think even if Seattle City Council had held their ground, Amazon would have won just from sheer money, apparent goodwill as being a "job creator" and the Seattle Times constantly :qq:ing about it.

That's not to say they shouldn't have held their ground (they absolutely should, spineless cowards), but it's hard to see a winning strategy when Amazon cheats.

I think Amazon probably would have won the battle, but I think it would have been a really bad look for them, PR-wise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The cyberpunk dystopia corporate rule we're living in is a hell of a lot more boring than we were promised.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't know. The Trump era is many things but I wouldn't call it boring.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't know. The Trump era is many things but I wouldn't call it boring.

Sure it is, Trump can’t even hire a proper cyberpunk ninja assassin, you’d just get Mike Flynn Jr. firing rounds out of a knockoff Desert Eagle while wearing stunner shades or whatever

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Aside from the big business opposition, it doesn't seem to be very popular, a poll on the head tax a month ago had people opposed 54-38: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/exclusive-kiro-7-strategies-360-poll-on-seattle-head-tax/749118634

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

How did Amazon cheat?
Paid signature gathering isn't against the law.
The anti gun initiative is using them see:

http://komonews.com/news/local/gun-measures-face-tight-deadline-to-qualify-for-ballot

“A significant portion of that will be accomplished by paid signature gatherers,” said i-1639 campaign chairman Stephen Paolini.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I thought using paid signature gatherers was pretty standard for initiatives in general.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you want to gather enough signatures it is, yeah.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IDyLk_EYdE&hd=1

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DrNutt posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia corporate rule we're living in is a hell of a lot more boring than we were promised.

I used to wonder why people in dystopian fiction just accepted the status quo, and now I'm living in it and accepting the status quo. I am incredibly saddened, and frustrated, and feel without recourse. And then I turn on my teevee and suddenly I don't feel anything anymore.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Nobody in history ever thought that the enlightened middle could be the cause of our suffering even in fiction.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Nobody in history ever thought that the enlightened middle could be the cause of our suffering even in fiction.

Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in Letter from the Birmingham Jail posted:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

"In spite of my shattered dreams of the past, I came to Birmingham with the hope that the white religious leadership of this community would see the justice of our cause, and with deep moral concern, serve as the channel through which our just grievances would get to the power structure. I had hoped that each of you would understand. But again I have been disappointed. I have heard numerous religious leaders of the South call upon their worshippers to comply with a desegregation decision because it is the law, but I have longed to hear white ministers say, "follow this decree because integration is morally right and the Negro is your brother." In the midst of blatant injustices inflicted upon the Negro, I have watched white churches stand on the sideline and merely mouth pious irrelevancies and sanctimonious trivialities. In the midst of a mighty struggle to rid our nation of racial and economic injustice, I have heard so many ministers say, "those are social issues with which the gospel has no real concern.", and I have watched so many churches commit themselves to a completely other-worldly religion which made a strange distinction between body and soul, the sacred and the secular.

So here we are moving toward the exit of the twentieth century with a religious community largely adjusted to the status quo, standing as a tail-light behind other community agencies rather than a headlight leading men to higher levels of justice."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KingFisher posted:

How did Amazon cheat?
Paid signature gathering isn't against the law.
The anti gun initiative is using them see:

http://komonews.com/news/local/gun-measures-face-tight-deadline-to-qualify-for-ballot

“A significant portion of that will be accomplished by paid signature gatherers,” said i-1639 campaign chairman Stephen Paolini.

It's a figure of speech. Yes I know Amazon didn't do anything illegal. But they have endless amount of cash to throw around more or less amounts to them being able to easily tip the scales in their favor.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

seiferguy posted:

It's a figure of speech. Yes I know Amazon didn't do anything illegal. But they have endless amount of cash to throw around more or less amounts to them being able to easily tip the scales in their favor.

The day we decided spending money was protected speech, we decided we didn't really want to live in a just and democratic society.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unless you're a supreme court member I don't think "we" is appropriate there

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless you're a supreme court member I don't think "we" is appropriate there

You're not the justice of me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's the best Credit Union for a savings account in Portland?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the best Credit Union for a savings account in Portland?

Gamestop

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/truedoomsayer/status/1007696925733384192

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Should I know/care who that random okcupid person is?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I bet his dilz is all jacked up. Steer clear.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

Should I know/care who that random okcupid person is?
If you aren't going to read the words in the first picture attached to that tweet, then you're probably not going to read the words in this link either https://idioteq.com/true-identity-breaks-up-vocalist-jim-hesketh-ex-champion-accused/

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

anthonypants posted:

If you aren't going to read the words in the first picture attached to that tweet, then you're probably not going to read the words in this link either https://idioteq.com/true-identity-breaks-up-vocalist-jim-hesketh-ex-champion-accused/

The image preview did not make it immediately apparent that there were words to read.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

The image preview did not make it immediately apparent that there were words to read.

Right.

Twitter is stupid and makes you click through twice to actually pull up the image, which is more effort than tweets are generally worth.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

If you can't be bothered to write more than zero words explaining why anyone should care about what your posting, I don't see why you would expect anyone to bother clicking the links you've offered no reason to read.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

twodot posted:

If you can't be bothered to write more than zero words explaining why anyone should care about what your posting, I don't see why you would expect anyone to bother clicking the links you've offered no reason to read.

In other words,

Roki B posted:

Posting Twitter links instead of content is the modern low effort post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

I'm sorry if I don't treat you like you're a tiny child who needs to be explained everything first. This was my mistake, and I will do better.