Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've realized that I can overcome my problem of not having enough comfortably accessible keybinds to play MCH if I set aside a button for use as a toggle between different action bars.

I may be in the process of making a huge mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cabbit posted:

I've realized that I can overcome my problem of not having enough comfortably accessible keybinds to play MCH if I set aside a button for use as a toggle between different action bars.

Assuming you're on controller, are you using expanded cross hotbars and W cross hotbars? You should have plenty of space

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Mechanist may be annoying to play, but gently caress me if their glamour options aren't on point.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming you're on controller, are you using expanded cross hotbars and W cross hotbars? You should have plenty of space

I'm not using a controller. I just threw a macro on my ~ key to swap over to a different bar, and another macro on that bar in the same slot to jump back to bar 1. It's probably weird as Hell, but after some practice it seems to be working extremely well.

Edit: I should also probably mention that I only bind and use the 1 to 4 keys plus ~, R, and F, with various alt and shift modifiers for actions. My poo poo is very hosed up and nonstandard.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 13, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Philonius posted:

Mechanist may be annoying to play, but gently caress me if their glamour options aren't on point.

That and the animations were all the reason I needed to level it. I wish it didn't feel so awkward, but at least you get to look cool while being bad.

Cabbit posted:

Edit: I should also probably mention that I only bind and use the 1 to 4 keys plus ~, R, and F, with various alt and shift modifiers for actions. My poo poo is very hosed up and nonstandard.

Welcome to mmos

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This game is pretty drat fun. I've only just finished the first Instance (the Summerford Farms one where you fight the thing with the cat lady) but this feels about like what a "modern" MMO should

Are there plugins and whatnot I should look into?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

This game is pretty drat fun. I've only just finished the first Instance (the Summerford Farms one where you fight the thing with the cat lady) but this feels about like what a "modern" MMO should

Are there plugins and whatnot I should look into?

Nah, there are some plugins but they're mostly for raiding or hunts. The game's TOS forbids third party tools but they actually operate on a "well unless you make it blatantly obvious, or you're explicitly cheating, we don't care" policy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The major plugin that people use is something called Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT), which is used to track performance in terms of damage/healing and similar metrics. You're allowed to install and use it, but you can't ever mention it in game or they'll ding you. It's not really necessary, but it's useful to have if you're curious about your own performance and like tracking it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cabbit posted:

I'm not using a controller. I just threw a macro on my ~ key to swap over to a different bar, and another macro on that bar in the same slot to jump back to bar 1. It's probably weird as Hell, but after some practice it seems to be working extremely well.

I think most people click rarely-pushed buttons but I play on controller so I dunno for sure

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The keys I use on PC for actions are, in no particular order: Space, Q, E, R, F, C, V, X, Z, T, G, ~, 1-5, M4, with Shift modifiers for the majority of them and CTRL modifiers for two of them. The trick is to plan your button layout so that your most frequently used actions - especially actions which are commonly used together - are in a sensible reach and order for your fingers to be able to press, while your less commonly-used actions (especially longer cooldowns) are on harder-to-reach buttons. I think people neglect the bottom row a lot more than they ought to, especially; Z, X, C, and V are all easy for your fingers to move down to with a standard WASD setup.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i just use my number keys and the mouse, game's got a long enough GCD to allow it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I found Haru's uwu stream very distracting because of his hotbar layout

why are true thrust and vorpal thrust not next to each other

why are the two combos not in the same arrangement as each other

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I found Haru's uwu stream very distracting because of his hotbar layout

why are true thrust and vorpal thrust not next to each other

why are the two combos not in the same arrangement as each other

It's possibly because they play multiple jobs and set up the specific hotkey layout for whatever their most frequently played/first played job is. My AST hotbar looks perfectly sensible, while my PLD hotbar looks like a hellish mess.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Combinations of Shift, Ctrl, and Alt are also possible in this game if anyone can find it useful. So you can do Shift+Ctrl+1.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I think most people click rarely-pushed buttons but I play on controller so I dunno for sure

Use Q, E, etc in addition to the small number keys and have extra bars with shift+, alt+, Ctrl+, whatever+ all the same keys you normally comfortably use. Bonus points if your mouse has a couple extra buttons for those shift/alt/etc keys so you can just do that and not contort your keyboard hand. Never click. NEVER ClICK

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My friend just let his abilities fall where they lay as he leveled up

He switches from keyboard to clicking mid combo

He still cleared O8S within a reasonable amount of time so I guess it isn't too much of a handicap

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The pod mount is perfection

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So how do I go about gearing my crafters?

I just recently got my crafting classes (other than CUL) up to 70 and was all ready to starting gathering ingredients for new gear and poo poo when I got my first couple Master VI tomes. I then looked at the requirements for the latest 340 set and realized that the minimum required craftsmanship/control numbers were only slightly lower than what the set actually grants, and way above what my NQ 290 stuff has.

So am I expected to progressively craft every previous level 70 crafter set and overmeld it to hell in order to craft the next set? Because that sounds awful. Am I supposed to get yellow scrip gear or something? I have no idea where to go from here.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Automated Posting posted:

I just recently got my crafting classes (other than CUL) up to 70 and was all ready to starting gathering ingredients for new gear and poo poo when I got my first couple Master VI tomes. I then looked at the requirements for the latest 340 set and realized that the minimum required craftsmanship/control numbers were only slightly lower than what the set actually grants, and way above what my NQ 290 stuff has.

So am I expected to progressively craft every previous level 70 crafter set and overmeld it to hell in order to craft the next set? Because that sounds awful. Am I supposed to get yellow scrip gear or something? I have no idea where to go from here.

You work your way up or you buy it(ask one of us to make it). The script gear is for catching up but it is not better than the crafted things. I have no idea what script mats are going for right now since I took a craft break after spending 14 mil on fully gearing and melding but it may be more money efficient to buy craft mats to sell and then have gear made with that money vs buying the script stuff.

If you want a foot in the door and don't care about 3.5 star crafts normal quality gear is cheap usually and will work fine for anything not cutting edge.

Make 100% sure you do the crafting quests all the way to 70.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 14, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Automated Posting posted:

Sorta, but honestly it's not too bad.

The linear plan is HQ Twinsilk -> meld till you can HQ Ala Mhigan tier -> meld to 1500/1350/476 for crafters and ~1300/~1300/~650 for gatherers (more is better) -> HQ Onishi/Yamashi tier. That changes dramatically if you have a crafter friend/you're part of a goon guild, which would allow you to just gather mats for Onishi/Yamashi. It'll still take a lot of time/gil/Creation tomes.

Gatherer gear is in a weird place at the moment - it's the easiest to acquire because there's only 3 classes and farming Yellow/Red Gatherers Scrips is faster/cheaper than farming Crafters Scrips, but it's also not nearly as dependent on melding. Properly-melded gatherer gear is still superior to Yellow Scrips gear, but the blue stuff is generally viable (especially the Augmented main/offhands and belt).

No matter what path you do, I recommend doing custom deliveries with M'Naago and Kurenai every week, going for crafter scripts rather than gatherer ones.

Lagniappe: progression & macro guides for 4.2 and 4.3.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
One of my squadron members is named Careless Whisper. Someone did that on purpose, didn't they?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

One of my squadron members is named Careless Whisper. Someone did that on purpose, didn't they?

Koji Fox has been, and remains, a menace.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually kinda proud of my dragoon hotbars

All GCDs are on face buttons, every CD is visible on the main page (except pots which I'll probably swap with diversion if I ever do bleeding edge content) and I can have L+R go to the same place as R+L

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Schneider Heim posted:

Pay attention to the names of any Fates you happen across.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Should I start a crafting class as soon as I'm able or?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you want to gently caress around with it, go for it, crafting in this game is conceptually pretty fun and a lot more involved than something like WoW tradeskills. You aren't gonna make anything remotely worthwhile without a lot of investment of time and gil though. That includes leveling up every single crafting job, because the nature of the cross class skills means you can't focus on just one.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

In the long run? Yes, if nothing else but to take advantage of cheap, easy XP from weekly challenge logs and (later) daily beast tribe quests.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

if you don't find it fun it's completely ignorable, it's a big time investment in a game that's already huge as poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

That depends entirely on how deep you want to go into the crafting system. Let me explain.

Crafting classes in FFXIV are a fair bit more complex than in other MMOs, in that crafting is a minigame that involves balancing several variables (Quality, Control, and Durability) in order to complete an item. In most cases, your goal is to try and get Quality and Control to 100% without running out of Durability, as this will ensure that the item you generate is a High Quality (HQ) item that generally has increased stats. Every crafting class shares a set of actions, but each class also has a handful of unique actions that are incredibly valuable for achieving HQ crafts. Moreover, crafting classes often utilize materials created by other crafting classes. This is all to say that the crafting classes synergize well together, and "serious" crafting normally involves getting every crafting class up to max, which takes a rather large amount of dedication.

While it's possible to just level up a single crafting class, you'll run into problems pretty quickly. Certain materials you need to make crafts won't be available to be crafted on that class, meaning you either have to find someone else to craft them or buy them off the AH, and they can run for exorbitant sums (due to the materials not really being used for anything other than leveling crafting). Moreover, depending on which class you level up, you can have significant problems with trying to HQ, and HQing crafts is important for leveling up (since these can be turned in at either your Grand Company or in certain levequests in order to gain more EXP).

If you want to level up just a single crafting class, it's best to wait until level 50. You'll unlock a series of daily quests with one of the Beast Tribes that'll give you some easy tasks to do that'll reward you with crafter EXP after, and you can easily get to 50 off of this over time. The two expansions both have their own version of this Beast Tribe, so you'll be able to get all the way up to 70 with it. The crafting skills they introduced in Heavensward and Stormblood help to mitigate the loss of the other level 50 crafting class skills you're missing (though not completely), so if you want to just level up a single class for your own benefit, this is the best way to do it. It's unlikely you'll make much money off of crafting itself, but you can eventually do some easy weekly crafts for crafting scrips, which you can exchange for materials that can sell decently on the Marketboard.

If you want to go all-in, you have two main options: slow leveling using the Beast Tribes and Grand Company provisioning quests, or fast leveling by buying levekits. The former involves doing the daily quests as per usual, but you also craft and turn in items to your Grand Company, which has a rotating list of desired items that you can submit once per class every day for EXP and company seals. The latter involves buying a series of premade items from a high level crafter and then using them to complete leves to level yourself up pain free; it's fast, but also quite expensive. I'd recommend the former since you're just starting out if you decide you want to go into it. You should also level up Mining/Botany at the same time, as they're critical in gathering the large volume of materials you need for most crafts. You can craft all the components you need and then stuff them in your saddlebags and use them to quickly craft the Grand Company turnins each day, which will earn you a steady bounty of EXP that'll gradually bring your classes up to 50 when combined with the Beast Tribe quests.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vermain posted:

A great post on Crafting

Cheers! Thanks for this!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i want that pod 042 mount so badly

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
when is new potd?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Brainamp posted:

Pay attention to the names of any Fates you happen across.

Yeah they are great, but it's funny that an NPC is a literal song name. Fits with the Roegadyn naming convention too.

(btw I love the Lalafell names, there is a generator somewhere right?)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I had the worst lighthouse group ever today ama

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah they are great, but it's funny that an NPC is a literal song name. Fits with the Roegadyn naming convention too.

I don't know of an actual generator, but all the races have proper naming conventions to follow.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I know of an actual generator, go nuts.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Schneider Heim posted:

The actual generator is the built in name generator in the game.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Eopia posted:

The actual generator is the built in name generator in the game.
I wonder if its actually possible to get Dudude Dude out of it if you reroll enough for desert potatoes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Even if it's not in the generator, it's still lore accurate. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

when is new potd?
4.35 so idk July or late June maybe?