Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seems like a good place to stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ah, cool. Elon is throwing in everyone's favorite South African theft deterrent at no extra charge!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Moto42 posted:

In the US there are requirements for overtime exemption beyond 'is on salary', otherwise almost every lovely min-wage job now would be "min-wage X 40/week" salary, 80 hours a week.
So, yea, if you know someone getting hosed like that, tellem to talk to whoever handles wage-theft in their state.

Oh yeah, just take it up with the labor board that hasn't been fully staffed in 6 years, and when it will be fully staffed it'll be with people picked primarily based on their loyalty to trump.

They'll get back to you in 6-8 years

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah really.

I bet some posters here would be surprised that the FDA hasn't visited some manufacturers in 3+ years and in some cases has never even seen a facility. They just accept FDA registrations that anyone can make and never do inspections.

I'm sure on paper it sounds like your food or vitamins or pharmaceuticals are being strictly regulated but they aren't.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 17, 2018

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

That flame was jetting out the side like a sealed unit full of pyrophoric chemicals was breached or faulty.

:thunk:

Brake fluid leaking, looks like. Add the hoses melting and you have enough to call the fire department over.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mistle posted:

Brake fluid leaking, looks like. Add the hoses melting and you have enough to call the fire department over.

I really doubt it. Brake fluid ignites at 650°C. I seriously don't know where you'd find temperatures that high in a car that has no exhaust. Also, every single drop of brake fluid in a large modern car equals about 800-1200mL.

Doesn't look as bad in the video. It's not flowing, it's not a thick layer and it's not a downhill slope, all of which I initially assumed.

https://i.imgur.com/npB8CTm.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

He's got hot snakes, but does he have bubble gut as well?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah really.

I bet some posters here would be surprised that the FDA hasn't visited some manufacturers in 3+ years and in some cases has never even seen a facility. They just accept FDA registrations that anyone can make and never do inspections.

I'm sure on paper it sounds like your food or vitamins or pharmaceuticals are being strictly regulated but they aren't.

Most of it's actually handled by private businesses. If you don't have HACCP certification or equivalent then it's perfectly legal for you to manufacture food but nobody's going to buy it off you. (Minimum audit frequency to maintain HACCP certification is annually, and they're here for about 2-3 days)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Most of it's actually handled by private businesses. If you don't have HACCP certification or equivalent then it's perfectly legal for you to manufacture food but nobody's going to buy it off you. (Minimum audit frequency to maintain HACCP certification is annually, and they're here for about 2-3 days)

How do you address conflicts of interest with private auditing, and not get something like the for-profit post-secondary education system or banking industry?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is from my place of work

if you screw it in it arcs and trips the breaker so we are using it as-is :perfect:

also those aren't the scorch marks, just the ones that wouldn't wash off. at least the fire marshal was here a few days before this started so we're in the clear on that front

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"Came for this
Train for this, gently caress
Made for this, pray they miss, duck
Duck gray duck gets up and running
Rest fall back like a bridge in London
Brand new brakes I never touch em"

I realize that this post is over a month old but I’m catching up and have to say that this Dessa line brightened up my day today :allears:

Anyway back to 749 for me! :wave:
Ty OSHA thread for continuing to remind me that I only have to risk sanity in my line of work and not life and/or limb(s)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Non subscription locked link from the ABC.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/beloved-terrier-eaten-by-a-crocodile-it-had-taunted-for-a-decade/9840026

(Uh... oh gently caress, it has a link to a facebook vid)
:stare:

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

Biking response.

Just let him be. I find life is much easier if your not trying to bring people up to speed.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, just take it up with the labor board that hasn't been fully staffed in 6 years, and when it will be fully staffed it'll be with people picked primarily based on their loyalty to trump.

They'll get back to you in 6-8 years

Exactly. And that's if what they're doing isn't technically legal because the minimum wage is stupid low.

I'm in Minnesota and our minimum wage is $7.87/hr. There hasn't been much push to change it because low unemployment means that hourly rate for most jobs is well above minimum, but there's a whole seedy underbelly of salaried jobs that look decent on paper but end up being minimum wage jobs because of hellish hours, but are technically legal because of our low minimum wage.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Cable Guy posted:

Non subscription locked link from the ABC.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/beloved-terrier-eaten-by-a-crocodile-it-had-taunted-for-a-decade/9840026

(Uh... oh gently caress, it has a link to a facebook vid)
:stare:

I am ok with this.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Saw a story in the papers here in Sweden about a guy who was killed a work when the trench he was working in collapsed. They included a picture he took before the accident. Shoring is important folks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
NM, didn’t see I was 12 pages behind.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 17, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's getting hit by a train, and then there's getting hit by a train.

quote:

According to West Japan Rail, no abnormality other than exterior damage was apparent at Kokura Station, which is why the driver continued to the mainland. Following the grim discovery, however, officials believe that the train came into contact with a person who entered the tracks inside a tunnel between Hakata and Kokura stations in Fukuoka Prefecture. Fukuoka Prefectural Police later confirmed that multiple human body parts were found near the Ishisaka tunnel in the prefecture’s Yahata Nishi Ward.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Phanatic posted:

That's absolutely false. A few years ago I hit a coyote at highway speed. There was a car behind me and a car which I was passing in the lane to my right. a coyote jumped over the jersey barrier right into my path. Taking no action and plowing straight into it was absolutely, 100% the correct call. Well, given the time involved it was also the only thing possible, but even if my reaction time was measured in microseconds rather than tenths of a second, it'd still have been the right call.

Agreed. The sensors, however, are ultrasound, which can (in principle, I'm not making an assertion about the particular sensors on the Model 3) tell the difference between solid and hollow objects. In this case, one of three things happened:

1. The ultrasound sensors did not detect a return from an object that, while clearly a visual obstruction, presented no actual danger upon impact to the car or its inhabitants. If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car didn't see and...no injury or damage would have resulted.
2. The ultrasound sensors registered a return from the object and the control software decided that impacting the object was the safer alternative, the one least likely to cause any damage or injury. You don't panic-stop on a highway and possibly cause a crash because an empty garbage bag blows across the road (and that's a situation in which a human driver *can* recognize that and decide that hitting the empty garbage bag is the right thing to do, so if that's the standard Tesla's supposed to be aiming for the car needs to be able to make that judgement) If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car did see, and no injury or damage would have resulted.
3. The whole system broke and if this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a stopped car at high speed.

The video in no way provides sufficient information to distinguish between the three situations. All of them are compatible with what is shown. It is a dumb
video.

Totally agreed.

The worst part of it, I think, is the notion that an autopilot is okay if the human being is paying alert attention and is ready to intervene. People just don't work that way, you can't maintain a state of passive alertness like that without serious training and conditioning. Even military snipers keeping watch on an objective have a spotter to trade off that duty with on a regular basis.

Phanatic posted:

A cardboard box is opaque, so to your eyes there might be something inside it.

A balloon is not opaque to ultrasound. A car is.

Would you drive through a pile of leaves being blown across the road, or a wave of water being thrown up by a car coming the other way driving through a puddle, or would you slam on your brakes or suddenly swerve? You'd drive through the leaves because you can tell they're not a big solid object that will cause any damage and that just maintaining speed and course is safer than doing literally anything else. That is a decision autopilots will also need to know how to make if they're going to be any good at all; they will need to know the difference between "this thing in the road doesn't warrant taking action for" and "oh poo poo there's something in the road."

Concluding that "since the Tesla plowed into a big car-sized balloon it would have done the same thing in a situation where you replaced the balloon with a car" is unsupported by the video. That's my point. It's a lovely test. It's not a meaningful video. It says nothing about a Tesla operating in real-world conditions.

This does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ml6sjk_8c

I am not defending Tesla's autopilot. I am attacking the dumb video with a lovely test.

OK, I’m sorry because I do realize this post was several pages ago, but please you have to stop spreading the idea that AEB can somehow distinguish between a solid car and a car-shaped object that happens to be a balloon. Because that is totally and utterly wrong, and by the time those ultrasonic sensors are able to detect a car the collision would already have become unavoidable. AEB works by using radar and optical sensors. I have never heard of AEB using ultrasonic, and if you have any proof that’s the case with Tesla or any other OEM then you need to show it.

Go read the NHTSA investigation into the fatal Model S crash in Florida; it goes into detail about exactly which circumstances AEB will work and which ones it won’t; it won’t protect you against cut-ins, cut-outs (which is the case being demoed here) or cars crossing your path.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Great, this again. It's groundhog's day and we're doomed to another 15 pages.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 17, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008
ULTRASOUND!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pretty sure those photographers are on the wrong side of that barrier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

revolther posted:

ULTRASOUND!

the ultrasonic rangefinders in a tesla (which are identical to the ones required by law in every other MY2018 new car) are only used for parking assistance and blind spot object detection, including the emergency swerve maneuver that we've seen a few times when someone moves to cut off a tesla running on autopilot. they're fine for very short-range low-speed "a thing is here" functionality. however, their range, update rate and precision makes them fundamentally and totally unsuitable for forward object detection.

i don't expect phanatic to actually know that though since he thinks they're, fuckin, i don't know, the same kind of medical imaging sensor you see in an obstetrician's office

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, no. There is no yearly certification process or auditing of any kind for any of the food/drug manufacturers I have ever worked at.

I interviewed at a long time GNC supplier last week that has never been audited and doesn't even have paperwork for their production process. I worked at a large amazon based vitamin vendor putting out tens of millions of units from a dirty warehouse that only ever filled out the initial paperwork to receive the technical classification of being "FDA Certified." I worked at two other drug companies that shipped worldwide from multiple plants in the United States and they didn't even know what an FDA audit was like and just improvised their production processes based on what they thought they might get in trouble for, in case they were ever inspected (They weren't.) I've seen companies that vend bulk capsules and tablets operated out of RVs like Breaking Bad.

I'm sure regular inspections do happen, but they also don't and I'm willing to bet that is the vast majority of cases.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 18, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well, OK. I'm not going to buy ingredients from anyone without a current HACCP certificate or equivalent, and none of the supermarket chains would by from us if we couldn't provide one.
If I did skip the approved supplier bit and someone got sick as a consequence I could face criminal prosecution. Being able to show due diligence is my defence against that.
Maybe it's different in the U.S.?

How conflict-of-interest is handled is above my level, but the system runs on chain-of-trust. The company that audits us gets audited in term by the registrar above them.

Note: the goverment/council audits are a joke. I think we see them for a couple of hours every five years or so?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
If you aren't in the U.S. then that is where we are running into a difference of opinion. I've overseen the production of hundreds of millions of units of vitamins, prescription drugs, and food and I've never even heard of a HACCP certification.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about SQF? That's run by an american company I believe.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, no. No regulatory oversight.

Like i said, huge operations are running out of dirty warehouses. People produce poo poo out of RVs. Raw poultry and hamburger is packaged as "FULLY COOKED" because it costs more money to stop production and properly clean out freezers than it is to just gamble that the occasional raw meat isn't going to be a problem. Metal detectors have their sensitivity turned down if they are finding too much metal in your meat or pills.

I bet if any U.S. companies are actually volunteering for all of this extra inspecting they aren't required to actually have then they are a shockingly small percentage of manufacturers.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

yep that's two broken legs

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah, no. No regulatory oversight.

Like i said, huge operations are running out of dirty warehouses. People produce poo poo out of RVs. Raw poultry and hamburger is packaged as "FULLY COOKED" because it costs more money to stop production and properly clean out freezers than it is to just gamble that the occasional raw meat isn't going to be a problem. Metal detectors have their sensitivity turned down if they are finding too much metal in your meat or pills.

I bet if any U.S. companies are actually volunteering for all of this extra inspecting they aren't required to actually have then they are a shockingly small percentage of manufacturers.

Any kind of poultry is routinely inspected. I know someone who works as a poultry inspector for the FDA and its a pretty regular thing.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, I was a poultry inspector for a year myself. Where do you think I saw all of the raw poultry get packaged as cooked? I got an FDA/USDA certification to be doing constant in-house inspections of a meat facilities production runs. The physical presence of an inspector doesn't mean anything because in the day to day operations an inspector is just an employee and they are outranked by a shift supervisor or line leader making judgement calls which are 100% of the time going to ignore a $20,000 production stoppage because raw meat hit the wrong sector of the facility and are instead going to be "gently caress it."

It's a nice thought that all of this poo poo is regulated and controlled but it isn't. The Food and Drug Administration isn't standing there with a clipboard inspecting every factory, every day. Any complaint I've ever made has received no response and resulted in no action. In ten years I've only ever heard rumors about FDA audits and have never worked in any facility that has actually experienced one.

If you anecdotally know someone who knows someone or have experienced a facility where they go above and beyond the normal to be completely compliant and strictly follow the rules that's fine, but that's the exception not the rule.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 18, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JB50 posted:

Any kind of poultry is routinely inspected. I know someone who works as a poultry inspector for the FDA and its a pretty regular thing.

we just have the lowest loving standards in the world, let them write their own regulations, let them know in advance and all that

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

yep that's two broken legs

Yeah but if you catch it you can keep it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Locator posted:

Unions don't always let the line employees vote on stuff like that. One of my co-workers significant other is a union worker and at the beginning of this year the union agreed to allow the company to mandate 12 hour shifts doing 10-12 days straight then 2 or 3 off, repeating for probably the rest of the year (no end date given or mandated by the union). Every single employee hates it but they have no choice if they want to keep their jobs. The pay is great of course due to the huge amount of overtime, but it's killing the older guys (and gals presumably) and wrecking their quality of life. To add to the misery, the job itself (railroad work) is often 4-8+ hours from home and they have to drive to that location and live in the company paid (rat trap) hotel during the days they are working. The travel time is not paid and therefore comes out of the already far too small 'off' days on both ends.

I'm not a Union guy, but it wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the union bosses who allowed this to be implemented were paid off by the company and happily stuffed their mattresses with money at the cost of the line workers health.
Sounds like your conclusion is correct. Shift time and schedule should be in the contract and all members should vote on the contract and any changes to it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It still has to be at least what the pay would be for minimum wage with overtime for the hours worked afaik
Not if you're FLSA Exempt!

Memento posted:

That flame was jetting out the side like a sealed unit full of pyrophoric chemicals was breached or faulty.

:thunk:
The Tesla Gigafactory has had extremely high defect rates in batteries, and punctured battery assemblies are glued back together and put into production.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My nephew was playing with his new excavator at grandma and grandpa's.

I told him he had to wear his hardhat or THE OSHA would get him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Relentless posted:

Best uncle/aunt right here.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Relentless posted:

No shoes, he’s dead. Sorry for your loss.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You should get a bigassed foam rock and next time he goes outside without a helmet pelt him with it and tell him he died for his foolishness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is he going to shore up that pit he's excavating?

Your nephew is a poo poo foreman, and is going to get one of his crew killed.