Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Can't wait to steal a ring from a 10 year old orphan.

... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Silver Falcon posted:

WHY did these numbskull devs feel the need to muck with that?

We can ask this question about every single design decision.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

And if they didn't, then he doesn't have anything significant against them.
So? Neither does Fern.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Can only speculate just what we have to do in regards to the badge. Given this game's track record so far, it'll probably involve a ridiculous sidequest of some kind. Do like the theory that the ring is related.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway, new year, new LP, new four job fiesta, still running Omniscient out of MP.

Updates are hard.

Yuck, Geomancer. Always one of my least favorite jobs to get.

I should do a fiesta myself since it's been a few years, but I also have an unfinished "challenge' run that I need to take care of in the game as well.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Quantum Toast posted:

So? Neither does Fern.

Yeah, but Fern is the worst character in the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSystemError posted:

Can only speculate just what we have to do in regards to the badge. Given this game's track record so far, it'll probably involve a ridiculous sidequest of some kind. Do like the theory that the ring is related.
I'm guessing we just straight up don't get it. Anything requiring a certain number of badges pretends his gym doesn't exist when counting.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SirSystemError posted:

Alternatively, it's hidden under a rock that looks virtually indistinguishable from the background

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Here's my (new) guess for what's going to happen: The daughter is going to find her father's body before Raven does, and will still be there when Raven gets there. As Raven approaches the body to get the badge off of it, the daughter takes the badge and runs off, then a scream comes from off screen. Reach the next screen, and there's the daughter getting captured by Team Meteor, who then torture her until she gives them the ring. Raven never ends up getting the badge.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, because that just hurt to type.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I will say we aren't going to have to search his body for the badge or fight someone who did such.

None of you have guessed what actually happens because it's something that normal people won't even consider a possibility. It's really loving absurd.

Anyway, new year, new LP, new four job fiesta, still running Omniscient out of MP.

Updates are hard.

Gaia isn’t magic

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My guess is that we flat out never get the badge. This will not stop the devs from locking optional crap behind this specific Gym badge, simply out of spite. I'm amazed they were "kind" enough to put the ten-level badge before the non-badge Gym instead of after it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I wonder what they're going to do to make this whole plot thread EVEN WORSE once they see our reactions. Because we all know it won't lead to any kind of moment of self-awareness and realisation that this is loving horrible and so are they, oh no. They'll somehow find a way to escalate it out of sheer spite. I have no idea how, since I'm not broken on a fundamental level the way they are, but if anyone can find a way they can.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I remembered seeing the stat screen in here before, and there being others without a level increase, so I went to check. Pretty sure this gym just straight up doesn't count as one, because the third badge does increase the level cap apparently. Looks like the 10th gym is the first one that gives a badge that doesn't increase the level cap at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm still betting that they've locked something behind a badge that doesn't exist and is "given out" by a Gym that doesn't count as a Gym, because I'm not putting anything beneath their level of spite and terrible game design decisions any more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well I might have something very interesting for this thread, all depending on how OFS feels about releasing it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh no.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Actually, it's decidedly not terrible.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh what a relief.
Also godddamn I can't get over how bad this game is. I've just tried to relay to my friends some of the horrible decisions that have been included into this and I've went "BUT WAIT IT GETS WORSE" literally 6 times. What a horrible trainwreck, can't wait for more updates.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

Not terrible by Reborn standards, or actually not terrible and a very welcome relief to us all?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Not terrible by Reborn standards, or actually not terrible and a very welcome relief to us all?

Long story short, I decided that it was kinda lovely to ascribe reasonings behind decisions to the devs without, ya know... asking them... so I did.

https://pastebin.com/2ahMj4ZW

This is an interview I conducted just today with Amethyst, the head developer on Reborn, it is full of massive, Massive spoilers. I am not joking, if you want this experience to be unsullied, do not click this link. However, It was a rather pleasant conversation and I got a lot of insight into why Reborn was done the way it was. Mind you, I still don't agree with it, but now I at least know why things were dumb.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Onmi posted:

Long story short, I decided that it was kinda lovely to ascribe reasonings behind decisions to the devs without, ya know... asking them... so I did.

This is an interview I conducted just today with Amethyst, the head developer on Reborn, it is full of massive, Massive spoilers. I am not joking, if you want this experience to be unsullied, do not click this link. However, It was a rather pleasant conversation and I got a lot of insight into why Reborn was done the way it was. Mind you, I still don't agree with it, but now I at least know why things were dumb.

A rather pleasant conversation, perhaps, but kind of tripping a fair number of red flags I've dealt with from people in the past. I'm hoping I'm only projecting my worries because if I'm not then the sole writer/dev of this is kind of.... :catstare: do not approach :catstare:.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"Terra, can you te--"
"RAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRR!!!!!!"
"Um, yes, but can yo--"
"Hi, how you doin', everybody-- No, wait, lemme do that again! Hey, baby, how YOU doin'? Unh, unh! WHAZZUP REBORN?!!!!!!!!! "
"I hardly think that this makes for appro--"
"I'LL TELL YOU WAZZUP. WAZZUP IS ME, TERRAIN' YO NATES ALL DAY LONG."
"Terra! Do contain yourself! Please do not pelvic thrust the camera!"
"That's not what YO MOMMA said last night!!!"
"My-- What? Are you really--"
"RAWWRRRRRRRR! THOU SHALTED BE SMITEDEST WITH THE MALLET OF ETERNAL DOOM. TERRAAAAA.... SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAA----"
*%@*#(!@%&% ...... ................................... ...................................
"We're sorry, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties."

I...

I agree.

Ost: Reborn- Lapis.mp3

Hey, a bike shop!

Just kidding, you get a bike voucher much later in an entirely unrelated incident.

This is just past North Obsidia. It's where Corey fell.

So people wondered why the thread title wasn't a pun on Trubbish.

Because it was a direct quote.

"Shade. There once was a challenger of the league whose real name has since been forgotten. This person was a fierce battler, without a doubt. He had already acquired several badges when he made his first challenge to Shade. He lost. This is not uncommon, as any Reborn Gym Leader is sure to put up a fight. So, they had a rematch. He lost again. And again. Although the reason should not be presumed, the more he fought and lost to Shade, the more hysteric he seemed to become. He would stumble out of the gym, gasping for air between bouts of unceasing laughter. As his failure continued, so did his madness. It was during this time that the locals began calling the frantic soul "Savage". Laughter soon turned to silence. Silence turned to a creeping smirk. That smirk turned into a pale grin, seething with violence. And he never spoke after that, Except sparingly, in the form of cryptic riddles. Just like Shade himself. Whatever the truth or reason behind this story is, we might never know. But I assure you, every word of it is true. As for the Savage... He did eventually beat Shade. But even his victory did not restore his twisted personality to as it was before. I am not sure whatever became of him. It's possible he's still facing down the League even now. But whatever the case, he is, and likely always will be, more Shade than man."

In front of a building called Dr. Connal's Orphanage is a woman with gradient hair muttering:

"You can finally escape. Be strong, sister. Vengeance will be ours."

She notices we're witnessing her muttering and leaves. Hm.

Corey didn't exactly pick an isolated spot to land.

Um, no, flower shop lady.

...We get the pail long before we see any berry-planting soil, the opposite of Uranium.

Another tile puzzle. You have barely-detailed corner tiles to rotate until it fits too!

For it, we get a Spritzee.

First shop has Spritzee's evolution item, another weird-rear end item, and Honey.

You actually need a lot of honey. Hours from now.

And Oricorio's nectar.

Oricorio is hours from now.

A guy teaches pledge moves to starters. It's 80 power, a helpful boost to pretty much any of them.

Oh, yeah, I guess the main attraction, the dead body.

A revelation between updates, about Corey's suicide, is that it's based on real events.

Onmi posted:

SO! Want to know the fun part about the Corey suicide? Well the person who created the character of Corey in their little RP circle, he actually did kill himself. So they thought it would be the best way to honour their friend by writing his suicide into their fan game. I've been clenching my teeth the entire time since people brought up characters dying.

So suddenly the part where we're going to rubberneck is extra skeevy!

shut the gently caress up nerd

Our good buddy Victoria is here with us, witnessing... a dead body.

There's an alternate version of this line if we haven't gotten Kriketot and thus haven't met Shelly, where she's listed as ???. This game has attention to detail in the oddest places.

Also she's staring at a dead body.

"Shelly, honey, step away from there."
"W-why did... I--"
"Oh, goodness, no, don't cry. It's gonna be okay. Let's get you inside."
"I- I can't-- breathe... Isn't-- Isn't t-that..."
"It doesn't matter, honey. Come on."

And we begin the saga of Shelly's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Aster and Eclipse, the arbitrarily special Meteor grunts from that factory, show up to also look at a dead body. They also confirm Corey was working with Meteor if, like me, you missed cops.

"H-huh? Team Meteor? Don't tell me you guys did this!"
"As if! That was OUR--"
"Aster, shush. Listen here, girly. It's best for everyone if you keep your nose out of Meteor's business. Come on, Aster. We confirmed the subject. Mission clear."
"Right! They'll need us at the stairway."
"The stairway... No way! Team Meteor was behind the explosion at the Grand Stairway too?"
"Nooo, a Sunkern did it. Of course it was us!"
"Tell them everything, why don't you?"
"Uh... Okay. Apparently, underneath the staircase there's a--"

But he understands the concept, since he just used it?

They leave since they get to do cool things like jump across rooftops. I wanted a Starly but no, I can't jump across rooftops.

"Let's just go inside, calm down, and-- Aah! When did he get there?!

She's referring to the ghost there, hovering above the blood stains.

The Reborn league has a creepypasta character as a gym leader!

And he takes the body with him for his own inscrutable purposes!

If you can believe it, no one guessed that would happen.

The building we've been next to is the gym. I'm going to get a drat badge somehow!

drat. Turns out that when the literal child witnesses a suicide, it kind of puts her in a bad mood.

"As soon as we were ready to battle, we saw through the window a man falling off of Beryl Bridge."

"Nobody should ever have to see that. And now she just seems so distant... Raven, something's going on. First the stairway blows up, and now Team Meteor comes to look at a dead man? Was the person who died an agent of Team Meteor? I don't know, but... I'm going to find out. They said Team Meteor is doing something at the Grand Stairway. I'm going to go there and see what's up. Maybe you could come too? Shelly, I'm going to take off for a little while, okay? Is there anything I can get for you?"
"N-no... I'm sorry."
"Why are you sorry?"
"For making you worry..."
"Oh, no, please. I know I don't even really know you, I just want to do whatever I can to help. Look, I'll be back soon, okay? Take it easy."

Victoria leaves, and gives us our next objective: maybe look at that whole in the stairs more than not at all.

Shelly and Heather are BFFs. Seeing your friend's dad landing outside?

Must suck.

Anyway let's bother the Crips.

We have the option to join the Bloods or the Crips. Er. Magma Gang or Aqua Gang. The major differences are that we'll be fighting the other one, two gift Pokemon, and a few other things.

After consulting my board of advisers, I went with the Aqua Gang because Archie wanted to wrestle a whale.

As expected, the Crips use a lot of water Pokemon. Nothing there really stops Emoltionalga and Flower Boy.

Now that we've survived the initiation ritual (a double battle), the members have their names plastered on screen. They have really one-note personalities, at best. Mannie says bro a lot. Razzie speaks in a bad understanding of slang.

This alley is like most others in that it has random encounters.

This is a shiny Alolan Ratatta. Most Alolan forms are just in different spots than the regular ones, but I guess since this takes place in one city and the nearby environs, there's not much else you can do.

The boss, Archer (geddit (though honestly Archie was kind of a weirdly casual name for the leader of ecoterrorists (I understand the change))) welcomes Raven as a new recruit, even if our only Water pokemon is a Bibarel.

Does DeFacto even have a personality?

The Crips used to be on top, champions of the downtrodden unti-

You already used that loving joke christ

He invites us to join in on some crime, but I drag my feet on it.

After all, a new dungeon means like seventy new wild Pokemon and three new gameplay concepts.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 9
Acts of terrorism: 5
Acts of torture: 1
Bad guys escape somehow: 2
Absols: 2

TODAY's RANDOM SHINY:

This disguise would never work because Ultra Balls are super loving scarce.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 21, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Small wonder noone guessed what would happen. This is so loving absurd.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Re: Onmi's interview

Not good enough. It does explain some of the totally not spiteful at all honest decisions and updates, somewhat, but trying to force players to play the way you want them to will just make them hate you; people like choices. As for all the heavier stuff, not that there is anything whatsoever that could make it acceptable but that didn't come close as far as I'm concerned. Self deluding rationalisation, I think. (And the things spoiled for later are just... I have no words.)

Agree with KataraniSword about the red flags, too. :catstare:

Re: latest update

...well, no, we certainly didn't guess that would happen. I can't remember if the previous Reborn LP got this far, I feel like I've seen the 'ghost steals corpse for reasons' thing before but I have no context for the memory. Also what the gently caress is going on, this just got a billion shades stupider. Which is sadly a massive improvement.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

"Terra, can you te--"
"RAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRR!!!!!!"
"Um, yes, but can yo--"
"Hi, how you doin', everybody-- No, wait, lemme do that again! Hey, baby, how YOU doin'? Unh, unh! WHAZZUP REBORN?!!!!!!!!! "
"I hardly think that this makes for appro--"
"I'LL TELL YOU WAZZUP. WAZZUP IS ME, TERRAIN' YO NATES ALL DAY LONG."
"Terra! Do contain yourself! Please do not pelvic thrust the camera!"
"That's not what YO MOMMA said last night!!!"
"My-- What? Are you really--"
"RAWWRRRRRRRR! THOU SHALTED BE SMITEDEST WITH THE MALLET OF ETERNAL DOOM. TERRAAAAA.... SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAA----"
*%@*#(!@%&% ...... ................................... ...................................
"We're sorry, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties."

I think we've found the worst character. Terra is truly awful.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Black Robe posted:

...well, no, we certainly didn't guess that would happen. I can't remember if the previous Reborn LP got this far, I feel like I've seen the 'ghost steals corpse for reasons' thing before but I have no context for the memory. Also what the gently caress is going on, this just got a billion shades stupider. Which is sadly a massive improvement.

The previous LP ended right after Florinia gym leader fight. I've also found a curious link in there: apparently on the Reborn forums someone made a mod to control the weather, which obviously would be more useful if the LP wasn't already recorded :v: But yeah the completionist nature of the LP was obviously it's donwfall, here's the thread, it's not in the archives yet: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822012

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

I think we've found the worst character. Terra is truly awful.

But she's clearly LOLSORANDOM and therefore hilarious! Who could hate that?

:barf:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

quote:

I don't think the NPCs really relate to balance... But idk what to say about them, I actually hate writing NPCs. Feels super pointless, and a lot of the time the point is just to populate an area or get its mood across. They're written pretty haphazardly, especially at the start.

:psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So The Sorrow took a vacation to Reborn and became a gym leader?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I was just talking with a friend of mine and he brought up a really good point. Do Level limits, sure, if you really wanna prevent grinding, but like... prevent pokemon from leveling if you want to do that. And then say... make it like Shadow Pokemon, capped pokemon bank EXP So when you get the next badge, any EXP they would have gained, they gain after.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Did Shade even come up before this update? I'm not sure how we could have guessed "A ghost, not a ghost pokemon, just a ghost, steals ther corpse for Ghost Reasons" without already knowing what happens.

:psyghost:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
He showed up on the train before it blew up. Or maybe it was another ghost, I mean if there's one why not more?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Given that the lead dev neither understands nor enjoys writing and doesn't enjoy most of the central concepts of Pokemon, this game simultaneously makes a lot more and a lot less sense

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I forgot the tally of atrocity (+1 act of terrorism as Meteor claimed responsibility for the staircase explosion) and the random shiny:

Ultra Voltorb.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AND NOW MY GHOST GYM LEADER WILL RESSURECT THE CORPSE OF THE GUY I BASED OFF OF MY FRIEND INTO A ZOMBIE AND WE WILL BE BESTEST FRIENDS AND IT'S LIKE HE NEVER KILLED HIMSELF AT ALL! WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY!?!?

I forgot the tally of atrocity (+1 act of terrorism as Meteor claimed responsibility for the staircase explosion) and the random shiny:

Ultra Voltorb.

...is shiny Electrode a master ball? Because this is kind of funny.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurieg posted:

...is shiny Electrode a master ball? Because this is kind of funny.

Yes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This actually owns a lot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This may be the first time that their shiny version is a notable improvement on what is done in the base game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah that's a lot better than electrode's old "Hue-120" Shiny.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Onmi posted:

That was something, alright. I'm not going to change my opinion about the suicide scene being insensitive but now I think that instead of a tribute it's a way to deal with his suicide and Fern's attitude is probably because Amethyst had to deal with assholes making fun of him since every online community has at least someone insensitive enough to say exactly that . Do I still find this tasteless? Yeah, but now instead of an edgy game I see this as a coping mechanism. Glad to hear that Amethyst is doing fine.

Edit: Oh right, I forgot

quote:

I don't think the NPCs really relate to balance... But idk what to say about them, I actually hate writing NPCs. Feels super pointless, and a lot of the time the point is just to populate an area or get its mood across. They're written pretty haphazardly, especially at the start.
As a Kiseki/Trails fan, this hurts me

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

:psyduck: if you hate writing NPCs, maybe don't set your game in a city, one of the most populous (and therefore NPC-filled) locales imaginable