Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Thursday Next posted:

He got 9 million from the monthly “telethons” that they still do, as well as from whales buying /pukeblood emotes and snowman dances. Their financials are available. We don’t know exactly how much cash was infused by other investors (Travian, Black Sun, etc).

The financial data shows they’re making $2,000 / day on cash ship items, and $250,000 / quarter on begging telethons. These do not appear to cover their operating expenses, however.

quoting myself to add to this:

Richard "Lord British" Garriott is estimated to have a personal worth of at least half a BILLION dollars.

* When he went to space, his Fun Space Adventure Ticket cost him around thirty million united states dollars.
* He has not been shown to have invested a single dollar into this amazing game.
* Reddit is a bunch of idiot boychildren who apparently think Hillary Clinton funded this game? What?

Gynovore posted:

Okay, there's definitely something not kosher going on. For a hundredth of what they raised, they could have hired three Full Sail grads as 3D modelers, texture artists, playtesters, whatever. They had more than enough money and time to make a quality game, but chose not to.

exactly

Where the dick did the money gooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Right Sized"

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/20/shroud-of-the-avatar-suffers-layoffs-saying-right-sizing-is-needed-ahead-of-episode-2/

There's a special place in hell for whoever came up with that euphemism.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's an episode 1?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Those comments

“This game is just too good for WoW babies,” I insist, lifting one meaty leg from the couch. The effort comes close to exhausting me. “It’s literal perfection. Many gamers are afraid of that.” I begin to fart.

“If you don’t pledge to this game, if you haven’t already bought in for at least ten kay, you’re an obvious child. Go back to Call of Duty, you WoW baby.”

I can feel the gas end, deep in my digestion, and the solid begin. A fist-sized turd slides down my leg. My pants, moisture soaking in, start to cling. My abused anus puckers amidst wet fabric. I keep my expression carefully neutral as I dip a finger into into the waistband of my cargo jorts. The fetid anal sweat excites me. I remove my hand and draw a line across the cloth map I always have to hand. My leg trembles with the effort of remaining upright.

It will be worth it. It’s coming.

“WoW... babies!!”

The final expulsion sees the canvas in front of me covered. Runnels of dark brown streak the white landscape. Filtered by my pants, the bulk of the solid has been caught. But there is plenty of liquid that has come from my anus.

I am glad; anything less would be an insult, unworthy of Garriott.

I lower my leg, the event over.

“SotA,” I murmur.

I fart again.

“Or was it Razor?”

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 20, 2018

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
My favorite part was how the guy defending the game and claiming its great doesnt play either.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Apparently they let go like 15 people. That’s nearly half the company. Truly we will be playing SOTA for years and years to come!

Garriott better squeeze everything he can out of this IP now while he still has anyone on the hook at all. That’s funny about his contract. “If someone is gonna utterly destroy the name Lord British, by god I’ll do it myself!”

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
15? Isn't that kind of a lot of people to have browsing the Unity store for assets to download?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

You see, now that all those assets are downloaded it will only take half the team to recolor them for Episode 2.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Yes, definitely all game studios lay people off when they're about to start work on a new batch of content. **

** haha just kidding it's more recycled assets.

edit: as of 15 minutes ago the maximum concurrent steam users was still 603. I have no idea how many non-steam accounts they have playing.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 21, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If SOTA is an elaborate tax scam and/or money laundering operation with the Russian Mafia everything will make sense.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

"Darkstarr posted:

You will be a big part of our preparations for Episode 2 as we relaunch the Stretch Goal Store! You will get to vote on some of the Episode 2 features by purchasing rare items related to Mounts, Flexible Lot Placement, the Elven Playable Race, and Pack Animals. Stay tuned for more information soon!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Lmbo, just wow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The online servers and company will probably shut down early next year.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Do MMOs with cash shops shut down these days? I thought they would just limp along on life support for a long, long time while bilking the few players who are too financially committed to stop logging in until the end of days. Like Wildstar.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Wildstar is publisher supported by NCSoft. Shroud of the Avatar has no such sugar daddy.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CM8tTG9Yig

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Do MMOs with cash shops shut down these days? I thought they would just limp along on life support for a long, long time while bilking the few players who are too financially committed to stop logging in until the end of days. Like Wildstar.

A ton of cash shop MMOs have shut down.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

jabro posted:

You will be a big part of our preparations for Episode 2 as we relaunch the Stretch Goal Store! You will get to vote on some of the Episode 2 features by purchasing rare items related to Mounts, Flexible Lot Placement, the Elven Playable Race, and Pack Animals. Stay tuned for more information soon!

So does this basically mean "if you shovel money at the cash store for more recolored junk then you get to vote on which recolored junk we'll release next"?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

Those comments

“This game is just too good for WoW babies,” I insist, lifting one meaty leg from the couch. The effort comes close to exhausting me. “It’s literal perfection. Many gamers are afraid of that.” I begin to fart.

“If you don’t pledge to this game, if you haven’t already bought in for at least ten kay, you’re an obvious child. Go back to Call of Duty, you WoW baby.”

“WoW... babies!!”

I am always surprised when people criticize people for playing WoW, which I would assume almost every MMO player has tried or played for some time. There happens to be a reason it is successful and still in business. Turns out being wildly un-intuitive and grindy like these old school folks pretend to like kills games dead. Your game needs more than Lethality and his 5 followers to survive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Old school MMORPGs still have their playerbases and survive. Shroud of the Avatar won't because it's ran by incompetent idiots that got super greedy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One of these days I'm going to have to play WoW simply so I can "get" a lot of the talk around it.

Not in a rush though.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

One of these days I'm going to have to play WoW simply so I can "get" a lot of the talk around it.

Not in a rush though.
They are taking the game back to a more "hardcore" vision of itself, which I strongly disagree with. I played for almost 13 years straight, but quit last year. The current director of the game used to be my old raid leader from EJ, and I'm not really on board with his idea for what WoW is.

That said, it's still pretty fun! There's enough content to get yourself completely lost in; for all the cries of "it's just a theme park!" a lot of the set pieces are pretty neat, as the art direction (especially after the first expansion) has been pretty on point. Just going through the questlines as a semi-single player experience would probably take you months and months at this point.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I haven't played WoW in years and never got anywhere near cap, but to give DancingShade an idea:

Warcraft did (and does) a lot of things that make the genre more accessible and show a lot of growth since 1998 or the height of Ye Olde Poopsocker MMOs.

Like experience through questing. It used to be there were enemy spawns just hanging out in the world and you would go find something appropriate to your level and powers and ability and kill them. That's how you levelled up. So you would go kill bear cubs for 8 hours, then kill young bears for 16 hours, then kill adult bears for 24 hours, then grizzled bears for 48 hours. And that's it. That was literally the only way to gain experience points and progress your character. It was also the only thing to really do besides hanging around bullshitting. There would be an occasional quest here and there for things like a class weapon, but otherwise you'd hang out in the designated zone for your level and kill poo poo. If you wanted to progress faster, you needed to find a group, and you'd go hang in a much higher level area and kill poo poo with them. The upside was you'd get more XP. The downside was you'd all die if someone hosed up, and in those days that meant experience loss and losing all your poo poo unless you managed to recover it.

So it was entirely POSSIBLE that you could log in for a session, pick the wrong group, gently caress things up, and you'd actually lose progress as well as money and items.

So WoW comes out and there's lots of questing and a semblance of a storyline. Most of the quests are still old school "Go here and kill 10 bears", but you had a sense of progression and a thin candy shell of purpose. Likewise, the death penalty wasn't nearly as harsh and you didn't lose all your poo poo when you died. And there were other things, too. In classic EverQuest, soloing as any class but a handful just wasn't worth it. You HAD to group up to make progress. In Warcraft, you could solo all the way to the cap (and they've been making it a lot easier over the years). In the old school MMOs, there was little in the way of guidance. You'd spawn somewhere and have to figure everything out yourself, and you'd still suffer consequences like experience loss while you did. Like there was a city in classic Everquest up in trees but with no guard rails, so you could (and would, given everyone was on dialup) fall to your death, then lose XP and have to go recover your body, even if you were level 1. Warcraft gave you something resembling a tutorial. Or nightvision. See, Everquest was based on text MUDs which were based on DnD, so there were races with night vision. And a day night cycle. If you picked a race without night vision, the screen was basically black during the night unless you carried a torch or got a special item. How would you know that? FIGURE IT OUT, NOOB. Some races and classes would also have stat or EXP penalties (because of the roots in DnD), so you could come in unknowingly and make a lovely character and not even know it because if you were lucky it might be documented on one or two fansites or it might just be player lore that "it sure seems weird that these guys don't progress nearly as fast as these other guys."

So a lot of the saltiness is that kind of thing, old timers that fondly remember hanging out for 6 hours grinding XP and not realizing the only reason people did that is they were teenagers with free time and there was literally no other option, whereas nowadays a lot of us are older and aren't going to play a game that's a constant kick in the balls. And you did have to "earn" knowledge of how the game worked and git gud through lots of kicks in the balls.

And then there was a big MMO boom right around then. For a while, you could get away with what Shroud of the Avatar and a lot of these old school reboots did: Get the game to something resembling playable, kick it out the door, then frantically make it good because people would play a new MMO just for the novelty or because they didn't have much selection. At one point Everquest patches could keep the servers down for days or weeks, but your alternative was UO and that would mean you'd have to drive to the physical store and buy a physical copy, then install it and wait for it to download patches (which could also be days!), and then you'd be a naked baby with a stick in a new world. Now you're pushing out a broken MMO that's the 21st iteration of OLD SCHOOL HARDCORE FANTASY but you're competing against a mature game like Warcraft that has a ton of content and expansions and usually works, so you can't get away with half-assing something, making GBS threads it out, and then collecting subscription fees to actually finish it. Now I can go "Okay, World of Poopsockers 3 is janky but there's 30 other lovely fantasy MMOs I can play". So the barrier isn't my apathy regarding running down to CompUSA to buy a box, it's "Why would I play this lovely game when I could play the game I already play with all my friends and tons of things to do?"

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 24, 2018

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

And then there was a big MMO boom right around then. For a while, you could get away with what Shroud of the Avatar and a lot of these old school reboots did: Get the game to something resembling playable, kick it out the door, then frantically make it good because people would play a new MMO just for the novelty or because they didn't have much selection. At one point Everquest patches could keep the servers down for days or weeks, but your alternative was UO and that would mean you'd have to drive to the physical store and buy a physical copy, then install it and wait for it to download patches (which could also be days!), and then you'd be a naked baby with a stick in a new world. Now you're pushing out a broken MMO that's the 21st iteration of OLD SCHOOL HARDCORE FANTASY but you're competing against a mature game like Warcraft that has a ton of content and expansions and usually works, so you can't get away with half-assing something, making GBS threads it out, and then collecting subscription fees to actually finish it. Now I can go "Okay, World of Poopsockers 3 is janky but there's 30 other lovely fantasy MMOs I can play". So the barrier isn't my apathy regarding running down to CompUSA to buy a box, it's "Why would I play this lovely game when I could play the game I already play with all my friends and tons of things to do?"

This isn't limited to mmorpgs either I have a pet theory that back then if you wanted an online experience or certain experiences period you were limited to mmorpgs or one specific mmorpg in particular. The people that were attracted to world building and exploring started playing games like minecraft instead. The I love pvping and small group based pvp types switched to battle royales or if they loved high skill cap games and came from a more RTS background switched to mobas. Basically now instead of everyone funneling into mmorpgs because that was the only option for what they wanted they have a dozen other options that also lets them ignore the content they don't really care about. This massive splintering does come with the unfortunate side effect of smaller player bases and a lot of developer struggles though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the grindiness of old mmos sucked but eq felt like a "world" while wow feels like a theme park and that is lovely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't like a lot of the older established MMORPGs anymore, like Everquest 1 & 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and World of Warcraft because they are overloaded with expansion packs and content. It gets to be super overwhelming. I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for this reason because the game is frozen at a level cap of 50 and hasn't had new content updates in years. It's been refreshing to play a more simple MMORPG.

I am looking forward to World of Warcraft classic for this reason. The level cap will be 60 and I like that a lot.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Aaod posted:

This isn't limited to mmorpgs either I have a pet theory that back then if you wanted an online experience or certain experiences period you were limited to mmorpgs or one specific mmorpg in particular.

Yeah I mean I was attracted to "playing games with other people" where I liked having them running around in the world with me and having a chatroom to shoot the poo poo, but I was pretty happy soloing. So now pretty much every game is like that, I don't stick around, I dunno, DAOC because it's the only thing like that.

And there's so many more entertainment options, too. I mean when the old school was at its apex (say 1999-2004 or so?), you didn't even have DVRs everywhere, much less digital games everywhere (Steam came out in 2003). If you bought a game and sucked, there had to be something better at CompUSA or wherever you shopped, and it may not be open. Oh no, EverQuest is down and it's Sunday, guess I better...not be able to do anything about it until the stores open up. Maybe something's on TV on a Sunday afternoon?

So now if a game is laggy and bad, there are 200 games in my backlog I could play instead, thousands I could play for free, Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Twitch, 8000 digital channels, OnDemand TV, etc. etc. I might've put up with Anarchy Online having a ping over 1000 and a skill design that's "Oh yeah we don't actually have vehicles in the game. Respec? lol." back in the day, but now it's not likely.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 24, 2018

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

I really don't like a lot of the older established MMORPGs anymore, like Everquest 1 & 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and World of Warcraft because they are overloaded with expansion packs and content. It gets to be super overwhelming. I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for this reason because the game is frozen at a level cap of 50 and hasn't had new content updates in years. It's been refreshing to play a more simple MMORPG.

I am looking forward to World of Warcraft classic for this reason. The level cap will be 60 and I like that a lot.

I think about people saying 'bring back wow classic' and I think 'are you mentally deranged?'

There will be like 1 pve and 1 pvp server per region. There will be at best 2 raid guilds worth of black lotus per week. Tuber hunting has been mapped out and timed so having enough tubers will be a nightmare. backpack and bank size will be tiny but you will need multiple sets of resist gear. All the bad old mods like discord action bars, healbot ect will be mandatory. loving dispelling everything every fight. No dual specs. No druid tanking, priest or shaman dps, paladin anything but standing out of combat and ressing. 5 minute blessings. Spell consumables. World bosses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I haven't played WoW in years and never got anywhere near cap, but to give DancingShade an idea:

Warcraft did (and does) a lot of things that make the genre more accessible and show a lot of growth since 1998 or the height of Ye Olde Poopsocker MMOs.

Like experience through questing. It used to be there were enemy spawns just hanging out in the world and you would go find something appropriate to your level and powers and ability and kill them. That's how you levelled up. So you would go kill bear cubs for 8 hours, then kill young bears for 16 hours, then kill adult bears for 24 hours, then grizzled bears for 48 hours. And that's it. That was literally the only way to gain experience points and progress your character. It was also the only thing to really do besides hanging around bullshitting. There would be an occasional quest here and there for things like a class weapon, but otherwise you'd hang out in the designated zone for your level and kill poo poo. If you wanted to progress faster, you needed to find a group, and you'd go hang in a much higher level area and kill poo poo with them. The upside was you'd get more XP. The downside was you'd all die if someone hosed up, and in those days that meant experience loss and losing all your poo poo unless you managed to recover it.

So it was entirely POSSIBLE that you could log in for a session, pick the wrong group, gently caress things up, and you'd actually lose progress as well as money and items.

So WoW comes out and there's lots of questing and a semblance of a storyline. Most of the quests are still old school "Go here and kill 10 bears", but you had a sense of progression and a thin candy shell of purpose. Likewise, the death penalty wasn't nearly as harsh and you didn't lose all your poo poo when you died. And there were other things, too. In classic EverQuest, soloing as any class but a handful just wasn't worth it. You HAD to group up to make progress. In Warcraft, you could solo all the way to the cap (and they've been making it a lot easier over the years). In the old school MMOs, there was little in the way of guidance. You'd spawn somewhere and have to figure everything out yourself, and you'd still suffer consequences like experience loss while you did. Like there was a city in classic Everquest up in trees but with no guard rails, so you could (and would, given everyone was on dialup) fall to your death, then lose XP and have to go recover your body, even if you were level 1. Warcraft gave you something resembling a tutorial. Or nightvision. See, Everquest was based on text MUDs which were based on DnD, so there were races with night vision. And a day night cycle. If you picked a race without night vision, the screen was basically black during the night unless you carried a torch or got a special item. How would you know that? FIGURE IT OUT, NOOB. Some races and classes would also have stat or EXP penalties (because of the roots in DnD), so you could come in unknowingly and make a lovely character and not even know it because if you were lucky it might be documented on one or two fansites or it might just be player lore that "it sure seems weird that these guys don't progress nearly as fast as these other guys."

So a lot of the saltiness is that kind of thing, old timers that fondly remember hanging out for 6 hours grinding XP and not realizing the only reason people did that is they were teenagers with free time and there was literally no other option, whereas nowadays a lot of us are older and aren't going to play a game that's a constant kick in the balls. And you did have to "earn" knowledge of how the game worked and git gud through lots of kicks in the balls.

This explains a lot actually, thanks.

Also I agree, in this age of "my Steam library of unplayed games bought on sale is longer than I can remember" if someone gets frustrated with some electronic entertainment finding a new thing to occupy themselves with is far from a challenge.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

I think about people saying 'bring back wow classic' and I think 'are you mentally deranged?'

There will be like 1 pve and 1 pvp server per region. There will be at best 2 raid guilds worth of black lotus per week. Tuber hunting has been mapped out and timed so having enough tubers will be a nightmare. backpack and bank size will be tiny but you will need multiple sets of resist gear. All the bad old mods like discord action bars, healbot ect will be mandatory. loving dispelling everything every fight. No dual specs. No druid tanking, priest or shaman dps, paladin anything but standing out of combat and ressing. 5 minute blessings. Spell consumables. World bosses.
I thought they already brought classic servers back as wildstar

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I thought they already brought classic servers back as wildstar

lol!

I wish Wildstar had turned out better. That could have been such a good MMO.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Battle for Azeroth will be poo poo and I'm thankful that Blizzard made it so easy to cash out and quit.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

lol!

I wish Wildstar had turned out better. That could have been such a good MMO.

Yes, if it were a completely different game it could have been good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If only all the bad games were good games.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the grindiness of old mmos sucked but eq felt like a "world" while wow feels like a theme park and that is lovely.

I've never understood this comment, pre-wow games always felt like barren deserts dotted with random animals to grind; there never was a sense of "world" to them, since the lore never mattered. WoW doesn't technically have the same "open world" that the old games do, but it actually had content and ways to interact with other players besides /shouting at them in the middle of a market or silently ganking them before moving to the next player

when loving EVE went towards WoW's system of NPC-managed mechanics and team-based strategic PvP, it should've been a sign to MMO devs that the old EQ way was project suicide, but it be like it do

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i spent half my time playing eq just exploring because the world they made was pretty cool with cool locales.

what the hell would "lore" have to do with someone feeling like a coherent world?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
"exploring" what, every map was the same field with a couple of animals running around, one humanoid that was a Tough Fight, and the only difference was retextures

again, WoW didn't exactly innovate there, but it gave players something to do besides grind and guess if they were leveled enough to do another fight. "theme parks" actually explain what encounters are likely to require, while they also provided easy ways for quick groups to form up to run those encounters; that removed the need to poopsock a fight and then possibly waste several nights by dying and losing XP/loot. this is before considering how having clearly marked content now allowed long-term guilds to schedule content for their members consistently.

all old-school MMOs had in response to this was "an open world" where everything looked the same anyway but also might randomly take your stuff and XP; it's not a surprise every MMO that had these mechanics either dropped them or died

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i see you didn't play eq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

"exploring" what, every map was the same field with a couple of animals running around, one humanoid that was a Tough Fight, and the only difference was retextures

Did we play the same EverQuest? Because while EQ certainly did have zones that were vast swaths of nothingness they were interspersed with bits of hand crafted content and other landmarks. It also had zones that were jam packed with content. Think North Karana vs Oasis of Mar.