Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

frankenfreak posted:

I very much remember girls playing with their Tamagochi in class.

I was so serious about mine. I had like five, and I always named them after my crushes. I would use empty Altoid tins as "beds" for them. Ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I remember the day I got my tamagotchi, it was transparent orange and I was so excited to show my friend. I ran over to his house and dropped it on the floor and broke it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Frankston posted:

I remember the day I got my tamagotchi, it was transparent orange and I was so excited to show my friend. I ran over to his house and dropped it on the floor and broke it.

I never had one myself but I remember being so drat desperate to get one during that fad. I doubt they cost anymore then 20bucks or so but never had the cash as a kid I suppose. In retrospect kids get so drat obsessed over the most ridiculous poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Arernt certain kinds of tamigachi crazy valuable right now because of how rare they are?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I had the r2d2 one growing up. It was great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had a yellow one I got on clearance for like $3 after the fad passed

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

They released them recently. You can get them at like FYE for like.... 20 bucks, I think?

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Levitate posted:

not really the "most 90's thing" exactly but every once in awhile I remember how much Primus sucks and go on a listening binge and goddamn Les Claypool is both weird and loving fantastic

Les is bastard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captainsalami posted:

I had the r2d2 one growing up. It was great.

I had Yoda and a rancor and a mummy. I also had a second generation digimon at one point

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I had a GigaPet :downs:.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My grandma brought me back this bootleg tamagotchi when she visited Hawaii

I'll always remember you Raku Raku Dino Kun :bubblewoop:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Last night my local PBS played some old documentary program from the 90's. It was (partly) about a couple local microbreweries, Long Trail and Magic Hat, and the narrator was wondering if they would stick around, or if this whole micro/craft brewery thing was "just a phase that will pass quickly."

They also did some interviews with people on the street asking them about beer (and no one knew anything because it was the 90's and even here in VT all most people knew were things about macrobrew American Pilsers) and this guy here is basically peak 90's:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He just needs a drug rug hoodie to complete the look.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did they wear sweatshirts inside out where you guys were? That was definitely a thing when I was in middle school, so ~'92-'94

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

twistedmentat posted:

Oh I just got a big ol pang on nostalgia

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

They sell those at Dollywood!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

There'sa store in the mall near me that sells those, over by the incense and the porciline dragons, across the store from the swords.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

Did they wear sweatshirts inside out where you guys were? That was definitely a thing when I was in middle school, so ~'92-'94
Yep

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man those were great. They were super comfy and most of them smelled like weed.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Croatoan posted:

Yep

Oh man those were great. They were super comfy and most of them smelled like weed.

I thought they just came from the factory with weed smell already baked in?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neito posted:

There'sa store in the mall near me that sells those, over by the incense and the porciline dragons, across the store from the swords.

That's their natural habitat.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

When my Tamagotchi broke I had a funeral for it and buried it in the garden :saddowns:

I miss those electronic toys from the 90s that probably are just apps now.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Collecting Tamagotchi and other virtual pet toys is my dumb nerdy hobby!!

You may be pleased to learn that they're still making the drat things. The modern (Japan-only, lol) releases are in full colour and use NFC for communication between the toys and with smart devices. The ones in Walmarts right now are actually a rerelease of the Mini version from 2005, rather than the 90s ones.

Raku Raku Dino-kun is actually a great pet and was frequently knocked off, itself! The genuine ones sell for pretty good prices online.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

HOLY gently caress posted:

When my Tamagotchi broke I had a funeral for it and buried it in the garden :saddowns:

I miss those electronic toys from the 90s that probably are just apps now.

There is an app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.tamagothiclassicus

Its probably on iOS too.

I had one that I kept alive for like a week, and then when it died I didn't bother with it again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

Man your mall needs to be more efficient. We have the incense, swords, dragons, and "glass pipes" all in the same store.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

twistedmentat posted:

Please don’t doxx my dad tia

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

That whole Chris Gaines thing would have probably been seen as way less alienating years later.

People didn't know what the hell to make of it at the time, it was a bit of a joke, I think even with Brooks' crossover success in non-country scenes people question his motivations. It was all apparently supposed to have been tied into a movie that never got made and I wonder if that was the fatal flaw of the whole project. Had the movie come out first I think people would have been a lot more accepting of the whole thing as just a film soundtrack with a bit of a gimmick than confused and angry over him changing looks, name, and style.
In 1998 Garth Brooks hosted Saturday Night Live, with musical guest Chris Gaines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Len posted:

Man your mall needs to be more efficient. We have the incense, swords, dragons, and "glass pipes" all in the same store.

Glass Pipes *

*for tobacco use only (Hahahahahah)

Talking about smoking in the 80s thread reminded me that there was an uptick of smoking in movies and tv, it became shorthand to "this character is cooooool and sophisticated". I remember watching Mullholland Falls (not the Lynch one, the one with Nick Nolte) and that movie is just smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke constantly.

But then you saw less and less smoking IRL. Like it was when I first remember seeing restuants that just didn't have smoking sections, but straight up banned it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Len posted:

Rose in a tube? That's what the seedy gas stations would sell.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Len posted:

Do dorky teenagers still do swords and wall scrolls? That was peak 90s for me. I drooled over a Blade sword back then, and had super lame Dragonball Z wall scrolls. I had a friend with a katana set, and another that bought a Zwiehander from Germany over the internet - it cost him easily $1000 plus shipping and we were all blown away by buying things on the internet.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

I love going in those stores, because there is also a bunch of knockoff merchandise, like the owner busted out some Sonic figures in his basement, but wasn't sure what color Sonic is, or if he had shoes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

My Twitter Account posted:

In 1998 Garth Brooks hosted Saturday Night Live, with musical guest Chris Gaines.

Something like that only seems to add to how odd it was for the time.

Some 10+ years later when you have so many things in media doing some sort of variation on that kind 'fake brand' promotion, that's a thing, but in 1998 I don't think his country fanbase or a potential non-country fanbase could figure out what it was.

Probably it wasn't easy at the time, either, for a COUNTRY act to try it. It's around the same time Pat Boone did a bit of a metal thing for a "In A Metal Mood" album that a lot of people saw the whole promotion and gimmick of to be silly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

Glass Pipes *

*for tobacco use only* (Hahahahahah)

Talking about smoking in the 80s thread reminded me that there was an uptick of smoking in movies and tv, it became shorthand to "this character is cooooool and sophisticated". I remember watching Mullholland Falls (not the Lynch one, the one with Nick Nolte) and that movie is just smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke constantly.

But then you saw less and less smoking IRL. Like it was when I first remember seeing restuants that just didn't have smoking sections, but straight up banned it.

*Any reference to drugs and you will be asked to leave the store

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I saw Rent on Sunday, that was very 90s.

Dixville posted:

My grandma brought me back this bootleg tamagotchi when she visited Hawaii

I'll always remember you Raku Raku Dino Kun :bubblewoop:

My parents got me one where the unit was shaped like a dalmatian and I think the pet was also supposed to be a dalmatian. Dalmatians are pretty 90s.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

The Moon Monster posted:

I loved that play when I was in high school, and saw it again fairly recently, and I couldn't even begin to feel the slightest bit sympathetic for a bunch of junkie "artists" who got a huge apartment in NYC for pennies on the dollar because their friend owned the building, and then still didn't want to get real jobs and pay their bills because heroin.

Seriously, gently caress like 90% of the characters in Rent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the main white guy's family is rich

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
E! Television in the 90s used to be so damned good.

I'd tune into their trailer shows, their behind the scenes shows, Talk Soup.

That reminds me of something thinking of Talk Soup that I'm not sure is STILL a fairly frequent occurrence on talk shows (maybe due to something that happened on Jenny Jones). The entire gimmick of, "Your Secret Admirer Wants To Ask You Out." That used to be fairly frequent, and then I think they had the episode of a show where someone involved got killed shortly after taping of the show because of the whole affair.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pseudosavior posted:

I loved that play when I was in high school, and saw it again fairly recently, and I couldn't even begin to feel the slightest bit sympathetic for a bunch of junkie "artists" who got a huge apartment in NYC for pennies on the dollar because their friend owned the building, and then still didn't want to get real jobs and pay their bills because heroin.

Seriously, gently caress like 90% of the characters in Rent.

I took my fiancee to see it last year for the 25th anniversary tour and it was the first time I'd seen it and that was how I felt.

drat near every main character is an unlikable person and I just wanted to know why they wouldn't go get jobs to at least try and pay the rent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Len posted:

I took my fiancee to see it last year for the 25th anniversary tour and it was the first time I'd seen it and that was how I felt.

drat near every main character is an unlikable person and I just wanted to know why they wouldn't go get jobs to at least try and pay the rent.

Because it's the 90s and they are artists and money is bad

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JediTalentAgent posted:

E! Television in the 90s used to be so damned good.

I'd tune into their trailer shows, their behind the scenes shows, Talk Soup.

That reminds me of something thinking of Talk Soup that I'm not sure is STILL a fairly frequent occurrence on talk shows (maybe due to something that happened on Jenny Jones). The entire gimmick of, "Your Secret Admirer Wants To Ask You Out." That used to be fairly frequent, and then I think they had the episode of a show where someone involved got killed shortly after taping of the show because of the whole affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Scott_Amedure is the wikipedia article you seek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

The Moon Monster posted:

My parents got me one where the unit was shaped like a dalmatian and I think the pet was also supposed to be a dalmatian. Dalmatians are pretty 90s.
Well, there was this...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Dalmatians_%281996_film%29?wprov=sfla1

Also on the topic of Rent, there was a pretty good critique of it on YouTube by that girl that used to be "Nostalgia Chick" (Lindsay Ellis)
https://youtu.be/q0qfFbtIj5w

"Look Pretty and do as Little as Possible"

Edit it is more specifically a critique of the 2005 movie adaptation but it also touches on the issues with the original play

Dixville has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jun 23, 2018