Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so is there a specialty agency you go to for crisis actors or do the big ones just carry some in house
When I did it they just posted the event and a call for actors and paid everyone with a free lunch. I hear the specially guys can make pretty decent money doing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sadr has made an alliance with Abadi... while keeping his previously made alliance?

quote:

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and Shia leader Muqtada al-Sadr have announced that their blocs are joining forces in a bid to create a new government after weeks of political tensions following last month's parliamentary elections.

quote:

The joint statement did not mention an alliance al-Sadr formed earlier this month with the pro-Iranian former fighters under Hadi al-Amiri, whose list came second in the election with 47 seats.

There was no immediate reaction from al-Amiri's camp, but al-Abadi said his pact with al-Sadr would not compromise the Shia leader's other alliance.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/iraqi-pm-al-abadi-shia-leader-al-sadr-announce-alliance-180623210258947.html

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think a lot fewer people in Syria would have died if the US had been clear about this sort of thing a long time ago:

https://twitter.com/AbuJamajem/status/1010610652430372868

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is there a syrian airbase close to busra al hariri? Will we see another gas attack as assad and his russian onlydogooders start ramping up their next assault?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/nusr_ett/status/1010782992854405122

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who's that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Salt Bae. Known for sensually pouring salt.

Not kidding.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, steaks covered in salt and forearm hair.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'll try to post a detailed response to your questions later, but meanwhile here is a great article about Erdogan and AKP I liked:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/06/turkey-erdogan-election-kurds/563240/ml

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why does he look like a wax doll.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Polls closed in Turkey, results expected in the next 6 to 7 hours.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The good party doesn't look good at all

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Mans posted:

The good party doesn't look good at all

Yep. Here's a little English language interview where a spokesman explains how there is no war in Syria and it's time to reptariate the invading Syrian refugees for anyone wondering what the "anti-immigration" thing in fspades post means

https://twitter.com/trthaber/status/1009878224766210051?s=19

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The YPG's getting pretty heavy handed in Raqqa, accusing the organizers of protests of being ISIS sleeper cells and using that as a pretext to shut down access to the city and establish a curfew.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pretty stark difference between state run media's declared interim results and the independent fair elections platform

https://twitter.com/bbcturkce/status/1010934692273709056?s=19

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Erdogan only at 53% now. 90% of votes counted. There are reports of "irregularities". Perhaps he needed to cheat to get him over the finish line, though he could still fall below it even in the official tally.

I have no idea about the results for parliament.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kustomkarkommando posted:

Pretty stark difference between state run media's declared interim results and the independent fair elections platform

https://twitter.com/bbcturkce/status/1010934692273709056?s=19

I think Adil Seçim Platformu's numbers are more accurate to how people voted, but Anadolu Ajansı's are more accurate to the election results.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Adil Seçim Platformu's numbers are more accurate to how people voted, but Anadolu Ajansı's are more accurate to the election results.

:v:
Trip report from Adana: People hella pissed.
I go back to Istanbul tomorrow, so I'll be sure to let you all know where the best place to find Cigkofte is during a riot.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Schizotek posted:

:v:
Trip report from Adana: People hella pissed.
I go back to Istanbul tomorrow, so I'll be sure to let you all know where the best place to find Cigkofte is during a riot.

gently caress yes. This guy knows what's good.

Also, that's an easy one, Kurtulush av. In Sisli.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Torrannor posted:

Erdogan only at 53% now. 90% of votes counted. There are reports of "irregularities". Perhaps he needed to cheat to get him over the finish line, though he could still fall below it even in the official tally.

I have no idea about the results for parliament.

From what I'm reading that 90% counted vote is only claimed by state media and not an actual number that any vote counting office has given so who knows really...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

53% is also such a "The voting was honest!" number. :tinfoil:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The opposition backed indpedent agency is now tying p much level pegging to the state agency fyi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kustomkarkommando posted:

The opposition backed indpedent agency is now tying p much level pegging to the state agency fyi

And what does this mean in plain language, because I can't decipher what you're trying to say here. Do the official and independent results now agree with each other or is one election organization loving the other with a strap-on dildo?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And what does this mean in plain language, because I can't decipher what you're trying to say here. Do the official and independent results now agree with each other or is one election organization loving the other with a strap-on dildo?

They pretty much agree now.

Official state media:

Opposition aligned independent reporter:

Neither of these the official High Electoral Council but Adil Seçim was established specifically because of accusations of state media misreporting results

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 24, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Unfortunate, but not surprising.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

wait there was actual belief that Erdogan wouldnt win??

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

LeoMarr posted:

wait there was actual belief that Erdogan wouldnt win??

Lots of people thought he could be forced into a second round, and that a longer campaign could give Ince an advantage.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lots of people thought he could be forced into a second round, and that a longer campaign could give Ince an advantage.

Not with majority turkish news as controlled as russian news.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1011022855038013440

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

LeoMarr posted:

Not with majority turkish news as controlled as russian news.

He only just got over 50%, it was clearly a real possibility.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's pretty large protests all over tehran right now over the value of the rial crashing. Bazaar shopkeepers are on strike which is significant because they are part of the reformists base.

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1011182088974823424?s=19

Even spotted a god bless reza shah chant which is rare in Tehran.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

How long until Trump or Bolton or whoever the gently caress opens his stupid mouth and causes these protests to fizzle out? Place your bets, place your bets...

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/NicolasMaduro/status/1011028789919404037

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Well there goes Trump's plan to privatize the Afghanistan war with mercenaries:
https://twitter.com/meekwire/status/1011267712000159744

quote:

NEW from @ABCinvestigates — Robert Mueller has “total access” to phones, computer of Trump ally, Blackwater founder Erik Prince, whose ties to Russians are being probed
Womp Womp.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The responses to the Tweet (by random people) are all totally insane, but I guess maybe only totally insane people bother directly replying to political tweets? Also they keep calling him "king". I guess there is also the high chance that Turks have no idea that Maduro has utterly ruined his country and is likely measurably the worst 21st century world leader who has not committed genocide (in terms of how his own countrymen have fared under his rule).

Also I am kind of surprised that the vote seems like it was not tampered with? People are really so eager to give Erdogan dictatorship for life, even though they're not in the middle of an economic downturn? God drat. I hope for Turkey's sake, at least, that his eventual successor is less grossly incompetent and malicious than Maduro.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how big of a role they played, but Turkish Syrians pretty universally rallied around Erdogan because of all the anti-refugee rhetoric from the opposition. I'm sure there's some other segments of society that were driven away from the opposition for one reason or another. Erdogan definitely has his cult followers tho.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Part of it is also just that the people who support Erodgan also supported other right religious parties before, and that divide goes pretty much to the fall of the Ottoman Empire. They are never going to vote CHP and IYI seemed more like opportunism.

Basically, Erdogan's strength is from the fact that Turkish society is pretty much permanently divided and therefore has fallen into a stasis where it is very difficult to get rid of him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

gah!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

a pipe smoking dog posted:

He only just got over 50%, it was clearly a real possibility.

Which is version 2 of voter fraud. 53% victory is a lot more believable than 99.999%

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Taliban has just declined an extension of the truce. Sadly the government should have waited before playing that out. Agreed to a second ceasefire later on as to not connect the events. Why would Islamic fundementalists extend a ramaddan truce after ramaddan. Sad