Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sundae posted:

*babies screaming in the background*
*dog barks*
"Sorry, someone stepped into my office for a second. Could you repeat that last part?"
I work from home and repeatedly tell both my wife and parents (who have been known to briefly occasionally stop by unannounced) that my daily stand-up is at 11:30. Every Monday through Friday. Most of the time its only 5 minutes.

At least once a week, between 11:30-11:35 one of the following occurs:
  • Wife opens the door and starts asking me a question.
  • Parents stop by to drop off something or ask a question.
  • Mail comes with a delivery that needs to be signed.
  • Random caller on my cell.
  • Random solicitor at the door
At least once a month, one of these interruptions occur exactly at the time when I'm giving my status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

VanguardFelix posted:

Man where do people work where metal detectors and armed guards are considered useful? Plus can be afforded?

We don't do anything nearly important enough to merit a metal detector and five extra security staff. Some guy (not an employee) supposedly holed up in a nearby strip mall with a gun a few months back and management thought it would be prudent to beef up security. In reality our CEO/C-suite is just worried about a disgruntled employee lighting then up. There's only one detector and it's located at the employee entrance which is tucked in the back of the building and features a long sidewalk clearly visible from several places in the building. Meanwhile the front door at the executive parking lot, which is way easier for a rando to drive up to and enter, has no such detector. Our CEO is also a confirmed and open MAGA-chud so none of this surprises me.

Yes I'm trying to leave. Been trying for almost a year and it's super demoralizing to not be out of here yet!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I used to work at a place that was a typical suburban office building until you got to the top floor, then there was this high security glass and reinforced doors and all this badge access and metal detectors that didn't exist anywhere else. Top floor was of course reserved for executives and important client meetings.

So the regular employees would have to act like they were going through TSA every time they wanted to meet with an executive. It was also a fireable offense to talk about security on the top floor, it was in the NDA. This was for a very boring company that managed some boring real estate things.

In a way they were ahead of their time, I imagine all companies will be like that in 30 years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Renegret posted:

I hope you checked their IDs to make sure they weren't piggy backing.

Renegret posted:

That was supposed to be a joke but in hindsight it wasn't very funny.

Just because it was morbid doesn't mean I didn't get a chuckle out of it on the train this morning. :v:

Also for what it's worth I was holding the door open for them to leave the building, so that was a bit better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pryor on Fire posted:

This was for a very boring company that managed some boring real estate things.

In a way they were ahead of their time, I imagine all companies will be like that in 30 years.

There's an unmarked building around here that is locked the gently caress down. Gated parking lot requiring a badge just to access the lot, armed security guards patrolling outside. The lobby is glass so you can see in and see metal detectors by the entrance. Security cameras covering every inch of the property.

One day I looked up what the building was, and it turns out it's just corporate HQ for some perfume company. Gotta protect your nice smell formulas I guess.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sydin posted:

Just because it was morbid doesn't mean I didn't get a chuckle out of it on the train this morning. :v:

Also for what it's worth I was holding the door open for them to leave the building, so that was a bit better.

I honestly wasn't making a cops = pigs joke.

Just, in my head, I'm imagining some squirrelly paper pusher trying to ID a bunch of heavily armed dudes, like he's really going to be able to stop them from getting in if they really wanted to.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I know, but I made the comparison in my head. I love how in all the compliance training they always tell you to never hold a door for someone but in reality who is going to shut a door in a coworkers face and go "papers, please?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did it, once.

It was some exec coming in for a meeting with my VP. I recognized him as important but had no idea who he actually was. It was a few days after we had some unspecified security breach so I decided to make my VP look good by having security conscious employees or something.

e: it worked, for some reason.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 26, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know, but I made the comparison in my head. I love how in all the compliance training they always tell you to never hold a door for someone but in reality who is going to shut a door in a coworkers face and go "papers, please?"

They have to put that language in to cover their asses in the event of unauthorized entry but nobody who sets up a straight badge-to-enter system is actually deluded enough to think people will police it. If your company actually cared about it, they'd pay to have guards at entry points checking ID. My mom works at the HQ of a major multi-national bank and despite having worked at her current location for going on 8 years she still gets ID'd every time enters the building. Meanwhile at my last job nothing was done despite several incidents of people tailgating in and stealing wallets/phones/etc from bags, but then once a laptop with ~proprietary data~ was stolen suddenly we got cameras and a lobby guard and training on security awareness. Tell us what you really value, fuckers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It varies by institution. Some places, especially, for example, research hospitals, have enough entrances that stationing guards isn't possible. Proper card control access is genuinely enforced, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Renegret posted:

There's an unmarked building around here that is locked the gently caress down. Gated parking lot requiring a badge just to access the lot, armed security guards patrolling outside. The lobby is glass so you can see in and see metal detectors by the entrance. Security cameras covering every inch of the property.

One day I looked up what the building was, and it turns out it's just corporate HQ for some perfume company.

As far as you and Google know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It varies by institution. Some places, especially, for example, research hospitals, have enough entrances that stationing guards isn't possible. Proper card control access is genuinely enforced, though.

Data centers are like this (good one, at least). They are absolutely watching you on cameras as you badge through doors and will threaten to yank your access if you let someone through a door without them badging - it's fine to hold it open, but they need to badge also. Especially when going through sally ports.

It's a normal and accepted thing because it's know to be enforced. Nobody get bent out of shape about it and the societal norms of door holding adapted.

If companies really wanted to enforce this everyone would adjust fine based on that experience. They just don't really care because it's normally security theater.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Renegret posted:

One day I looked up what the building was, and it turns out it's just corporate HQ for some perfume company. Gotta protect your nice smell formulas I guess.

I worked at a big tech company R&D lab that didn't have the metal detectors but was otherwise like this. Unmarked and what not.

...unfortunately that big corp's marked security vehicles which patroled other marked building in the area also roamed through there kinda blowing the cover.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0VYKtJisw

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Cheesus posted:

I work from home and repeatedly tell both my wife and parents (who have been known to briefly occasionally stop by unannounced) that my daily stand-up is at 11:30. Every Monday through Friday. Most of the time its only 5 minutes.

At least once a week, between 11:30-11:35 one of the following occurs:
  • Wife opens the door and starts asking me a question.
  • Parents stop by to drop off something or ask a question.
  • Mail comes with a delivery that needs to be signed.
  • Random caller on my cell.
  • Random solicitor at the door
At least once a month, one of these interruptions occur exactly at the time when I'm giving my status.

Don't be such a pushover

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm a glorified content/tech writer being asked to setup an intra-company platform for a multi-million dollar project that needs to:
- Share change control info and documentation.
- Act as a wiki/teaching resource for new hires regarding the progression of the project.

I'm out of my depth. Does anyone have experience running project management software, intranets, or knowledge management for intracompany consumption? Or could point me where to start with such a thing?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CURSE THIS loving MAN

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

VanguardFelix posted:

Lol if there’s an active shooter in my office I’m getting wasted by a coworker. Three overcompensating chuckleheads carry daily and always talk a big game about using them if bad things ever happen.

I lucked out and only had one gun nut at a prior job - wasn't completely nuts but would occasionally delve into conspiracy theories and ended up losing his job when he got caught wearing his pistol in a holster under his jacket at work. The building we were in had signs all over the loving place clearly stating guns weren't permitted on the premises but this chucklefuck argued with our bosses AND the police about how those signs "don't carry any weight and aren't legal because I'm a CC permit holder!!"

He got fired and was walked out a few minutes later, loving idiot. Then again he's the same kind of guy who complained about "Obama taking my guns" and believed InfoWars and Fox News were "unbiased sources of information."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of my buddies' companies was just bought out by a pharma company known for patenting gene sequences and charging horrendous fees to anyone who dares to test for them. They've announced a $100 severance bonus for people impacted by layoffs.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sundae posted:

One of my buddies' companies was just bought out by a pharma company known for patenting gene sequences and charging horrendous fees to anyone who dares to test for them. They've announced a $100 severance bonus for people impacted by layoffs.

Please explain the gene sequence patenting. Do you mean for things they've created or like a gene sequence responsible for a disorder? Because how is the latter even a thing?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So the lunch I didn't want to go to turned out to be the absolute height of boomer bitching, the absolute showstopper of which was "I bought my first house at 17, I couldn't wait to get a start on my life! I don't know why my kids are still living at home!"

:psypop:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

Please explain the gene sequence patenting. Do you mean for things they've created or like a gene sequence responsible for a disorder? Because how is the latter even a thing?

quote:

Myriad Genetics's intention to patent human genes led to intense controversy.[12][13] Though patenting genes has been an established practice since the beginning of genetic research, it was alleged that because genes occur naturally in every human, patenting them would constitute an obstacle to biomedical research worldwide.[14] It did create obstacles for competing businesses in testing for the gene, but did not interfere with scientists’ ability to study the gene. It was one of the most widely studied genes with more than 10,000 papers.[15]

Secondly, because the discovery of their relevance to breast cancer[16][17] was funded by the public.

Third, because the company was selling its breast cancer diagnostic test for a price many described as "outrageous":[18] $4000, the price of a whole genome sequencing[19] (around 20,000 genes analyzed), when the test only looked at two genes.Some also stated that its price for the breast cancer diagnostic test was "outrageous"[20] ranging from $2,500 to $4,000.

The Supreme Court finally invalidated the process of patenting genes in 2013, but for a good long time, you could literally patent a gene you'd been able to isolate even though it was naturally occurring in the human body. Then, if someone wants to test for that gene, they're using your patented property (the gene) and need to fork up $2500-4000 in order to have permission to look at the gene.

Yep. It's as dumb as it sounds, but it was enough to make several companies magnificently wealthy at the expense of everyone else before it was invalidated. You can now patent genes that you've synthetically created, but not something occurring in the human body naturally. (This is still pretty blah to me, honestly, but it's better than the straight-up insanity of the first one.)

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sundae posted:

Dear lord that’s legitimately bordering on evil. Having genetic disorders sucks already without being exploited as well.

I’m almost certain I’d be less angry with an employer laying me off sans “bonus” compared to that amount.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm a glorified content/tech writer being asked to setup an intra-company platform for a multi-million dollar project that needs to:
- Share change control info and documentation.
- Act as a wiki/teaching resource for new hires regarding the progression of the project.

I'm out of my depth. Does anyone have experience running project management software, intranets, or knowledge management for intracompany consumption? Or could point me where to start with such a thing?

Confluence would handle this easily.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 28, 2018

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Someone else from my team just handed in their notice and my boss is going to use as an excuse to delay my team transfer. The whole reason why I’m transferring is because I don’t do any of the same work as the rest of my team but keep getting pulled into their projects so this will only make it worse :hb:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Want to meet the building designer who thought it was a good idea to only have one urinal in the men's room in my wing of the building, so that I can stick their face in said urinal.

Shugojin posted:

So the lunch I didn't want to go to turned out to be the absolute height of boomer bitching, the absolute showstopper of which was "I bought my first house at 17, I couldn't wait to get a start on my life! I don't know why my kids are still living at home!"

:psypop:

Guillotine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dugong posted:

Someone else from my team just handed in their notice and my boss is going to use as an excuse to delay my team transfer. The whole reason why I’m transferring is because I don’t do any of the same work as the rest of my team but keep getting pulled into their projects so this will only make it worse :hb:

:sever:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

C-Euro posted:

Want to meet the building designer who thought it was a good idea to only have one urinal in the men's room in my wing of the building, so that I can stick their face in said urinal.

Previous company i worked for had a grand total of 7 bathrooms for the second floor, which housed some 150 people.

First floor had 6 for 200 people.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Boiled Water posted:

Previous company i worked for had a grand total of 7 bathrooms for the second floor, which housed some 150 people.

First floor had 6 for 200 people.

One government building I worked in had no elevator, no bathrooms on the first floor, and handicap stalls in the bathrooms on the second floor.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp Norway job finally gone tits up. Not enough new work coming in to keep me or another guy around.

Suggested to my boss that they need more money on advertising because the only work we get is people we already know and the "budget" and activity is only about 350 quid a year for AdWords for our own unique company name.

Guy responded that they already spent more than they expected to this year on internal hours preparing conference material.

:derp:

So I'm looking for something new and might actually have to start that freelancing thing. :science:

What does this do for your ability to stay in the country? Were you Schengen / eurozone beforehand, or are you in the race against time for a new job now before you lose your residency status? (

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Enforcing access between allowed areas is also important in places like nuclear power plants and military installations because it also enables the rescue personnel to know where the people are if anything happens.

That said, making it unnecessarily the responsibility of the personnel, not a matter of access control is just being an rear end in a top hat. You *could* have a rotating port, a liaison guardian or something but no, blame it on the people who work at the site the moment it fails because it is cheaper.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Der Kyhe posted:

That said, making it unnecessarily the responsibility of the personnel, not a matter of access control is just being an rear end in a top hat. You *could* have a rotating port, a liaison guardian or something but no, blame it on the people who work at the site the moment it fails because it is cheaper.

You literally cannot physically do that in many of these places. Oversight relies on culture and surveillance because nothing else is possible. Are you going to install a team of 80 guards to cover every access and transfer point in a hospital that's attached to a research lab that's attached to a dental school that's attached to an outpatient center that's attached to an imaging facility?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'd just like to take a moment to complain about one of my newer co-workers, who feels the burning need to wander into the break area and announce every stupid horrible thing our loving president is doing. Motherfucker, people are trying to relax. He knows it's stressful, too. He literally said, "I shouldn't, my blood pressure... but <summarizes trump-related article>."

People, I'm not going to tell you you can't talk about something, ever. But I just need you all to know that politics and religion are both office poison. Be prepared for people to avoid you if you insist on discussing those topics, especially when people are trying to take a break from the stress of work. Especially if they make it clear they would rather not hear about it and you don't respect that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My office is currently in a state of stunned panic because it's a public sector company represented by no less than five public sector unions, and now everybody is scrambling in the wake of today's SCOTUS decision. Two big shots in the technology union sit in my row and have had dozens of people running up to them to ask about the logistics of what the decision means for the union all day, with no sight of slowing down.

I'm just trying to keep my head down and show (actually genuine, FWIW) sympathy over the debacle and make sure as few people as possible catch on that I'm not in any of the unions.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

I'd just like to take a moment to complain about one of my newer co-workers, who feels the burning need to wander into the break area and announce every stupid horrible thing our loving president is doing. Motherfucker, people are trying to relax. He knows it's stressful, too. He literally said, "I shouldn't, my blood pressure... but <summarizes trump-related article>."

Replace 'coworker' with Senior Director and 'break area' with main office floor outside their office, and that was one of my work environments. During the prior presidency.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Higgy posted:

Confluence would handle this easily.

The running joke in our office is that Confluence is write-once read-never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Sydin posted:

My office is currently in a state of stunned panic because it's a public sector company represented by no less than five public sector unions, and now everybody is scrambling in the wake of today's SCOTUS decision. Two big shots in the technology union sit in my row and have had dozens of people running up to them to ask about the logistics of what the decision means for the union all day, with no sight of slowing down.

I'm just trying to keep my head down and show (actually genuine, FWIW) sympathy over the debacle and make sure as few people as possible catch on that I'm not in any of the unions.

What did Trump do now?