Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I have a low tolerance for anime weirdness, will I still like it?

Yes. There’s not much cheesecake beyond Lupin being a mild womanizer, and the fights are more cartoonish than big dumb “anime” fights, and it’s a pretty straightforward story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

Most people I've talked to that did not like TLJ say they really enjoyed Solo. Piqued my interest since the trailers really did nothing for me.

It's not amazing but I thought it was a hell of a lot better than TLJ. It was at least entertaining instead of making me want to doze off.

The kid that plays Han Solo actually does a good job too. He was just doomed out of the gate, because the character is pretty much entirely defined by Harrison Ford. He got 1000% more crap about it than he deserved. No one could have filled that role and made people happy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
New Matt Groening animated series hitting Netflix in August. Dare we hope for Futurama levels of quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV8vTGcv5Jc

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Dare we hope for Futurama levels of quality?

Somehow I doubt it. The Comedy Central seasons were incredibly uneven, even if we did occasionally get something great like The Late Philip J Fry or the series finale. I like the announced cast for this new show, but the animation looks really rough and cheap and I just can't be bothered to muster up enthusiasm for it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

It's not amazing but I thought it was a hell of a lot better than TLJ. It was at least entertaining instead of making me want to doze off.

The kid that plays Han Solo actually does a good job too. He was just doomed out of the gate, because the character is pretty much entirely defined by Harrison Ford. He got 1000% more crap about it than he deserved. No one could have filled that role and made people happy.

The problem is the trailers made his one liners look really bad, but in the context of the scenes they are in they actually were really well acted. He did a great job for having to go through the poo poo that production went through.

Also I’m excited to see what the other two trilogies announced do because they are suppose to have nothing to do with the current storyline.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sup guys and gals. Check "alex truelove" out. It goes through some of the cliches of romantic teen comedies and leans a litle bit on nostalgia from the 80's/90s but theres a good twist and focus to it,the suporting cast is hilarious and the soundtrack is not bad.its a fun little movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

3) Specifically with The Last Jedi, they just didn't get the movie. Most of the criticisms I've seen about the movie revolved around the fact that the different storylines seemed to lead nowhere. But the whole point of the movie was to subvert expectations of what it means to be a Star Wars movie, and to flip the heroic saga on its head. It spells that out from the very first five minutes of the movie.

that doesnt make for a good movie though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stairmaster posted:

that doesnt make for a good movie though.

sure it could

the problem is instead of doing that, the movie takes the teeniest tiniest step towards "maybe we'll do something interesting" and then runs back to safety giggling, and then concludes with "don't worry, people will still be playing with star wars toys for generations to come"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked The Last Jedi in theater but it's a film that really needs some editing. Rewatching it on Netflix made me like it a lot more because it allowed me to watch it in two sittings. It honestly could have been two movies, especially if the whole Finn/Rose/Benicio adventure had been longer since it was the best part of the movie outside of Luke wiping dust off his shoulder

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i do actually like The Last Jedi better than the movies that preceded it, but I'm harsh on it because I think Rian Johnson could have done a lot better

i am also not entirely sure if the failing is his or just the inevitable result of it being a Disney production

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

Finn/Rose/Benicio adventure ... was the best part of the movie

What

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goons have differing opinions on Star Wars, it's shocking I know.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Nailed It! season 2 came out and it's still very funny. Jon Gabrus is in the first episode.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GLOW s2 is out, no word on if there are any pissing sound scenes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm on ep 3 and it's even better than season 1. Goddamn it's a good show. It helps that I grew up watching 80s wrasslin'. It's also good that it's hella gay, considering how many scantily clad women there are in it lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

The only part about TLJ that bothered me was How the whole movie takes place over 18 - 24 "real time" hours, but Rey is clearly on Luke's planet for significantly longer than that. I understand that the day/night cycles are different from planet to planet. It just didn't add up for me.

Otherwise it's great and everyone should watch it.

You don’t know how long it’s been between the end of the last movie and the start of this one. Rey’s story could start way before the other story and end right at the time she catches up with the rest of the cast.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Nailed It! season 2 came out and it's still very funny. Jon Gabrus is in the first episode.

I with Ron Ben-Israel still had his own show, he's so great.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

business hammocks posted:

You don’t know how long it’s been between the end of the last movie and the start of this one. Rey’s story could start way before the other story and end right at the time she catches up with the rest of the cast.

It still fucks up the pacing of the b-plot. It doesn't feel like a chase at all because time is passing so quickly in Rey's story.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I realize there are few places in the internet to discuss your opinions on Star Wars. Any chance we could pump the brakes on Star Wars Opinion Chat? There is plenty of other stuff to watch on streaming services, and I sincerely doubt we're coming up with novel takes here.

I loved I, Tonya. Great performances, although I think the Scorsese-style needle-drop score is lazy filmmaking. There were a couple times where she was a dead ringer for Tonya, too. Nuts!

Someone up thread mentioned The Most Hated Woman in America. The anticlimactic ending is pretty much how she disappeared. She was such a hilarious figure in my teen years. Although the film was a bit cheesy and melodramatic, it got me. Atheists sure aren’t as fun anymore. She sued the federal government because Frank Borman read Genesis on Apollo 8. That’s loving hilarious, and I can’t believe they didn’t include that. Also good to see Pete Campbell working.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Only my own so far, when I'm watching from the bathroom next to my TV, but so far it's good. Although I think Marc Marons character is skirting the line between lovable pos and regular pos.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Amazon Prime just got 21 Jump Street.

The pilot episode is pretty great. You can watch it like a stand alone movie, without committing to watching the whole show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

david_a posted:

In the moment I was actually hoping they would join up and go in a third direction to further kill off the past and bury the simplistic Good/Bad split but yeah that’s not what this franchise is about. I realized after the fact that what I really wanted out of this movie was something that completely destroyed what Star Wars is and turned it into something else which will never ever happen.

That's legit what I wanted to happen too. And for what it's worth, there is an entry in the greater SW canon that does kind of do this in the rpg KOTOR 2 -- a flawed but fantastic game.

But yeah, their tentpole movies are never going to take that kind of risk.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Not sure how long it's been on Netflix, but I just caught Hannah Gadsby: Nanette and holy poo poo that was an experience. It's solid comedy, but what really took me by surprise just how powerfully emotional it got towards the end. Easily one of the best standup routines I've seen on Netflix so far.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Goliath s2 is a huge drop in quality from s1. The core cast is still good, and Billy Bob is still great, but the writing even for the core is weak stuff. All the other new characters are paper-thin and the plot turns are as implausible as you'd expect from the throwaway second season of a prestige show that should have been one-and-done.

The only saving grace is that the seventh episode is completely bugfuck crazy. It's like an episode from a different and superior show broadcast on a different and superior planet in a different and superior universe. Seriously, if you want a good time go into s2e7 blind, it doesn't matter if you watched the first season or not. Don't bother with episode 8, it's as lovely as the first 6.

edit: Goliath is on Prime and the first season is really good, should have started with that

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 1, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just got to the embassy attack of the tet offensive in the Vietnam doc. Hot drat I actually got really disturbed. It's a shame this was never taught in school.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I have a low tolerance for anime weirdness, will I still like it?

Both Miyazaki and Lupin (largely because of Miyazaki's influence on the first season of the TV series) are antidotes for the things about anime that give goons the vapours.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Goliath s2 is a huge drop in quality from s1. The core cast is still good, and Billy Bob is still great, but the writing even for the core is weak stuff. All the other new characters are paper-thin and the plot turns are as implausible as you'd expect from the throwaway second season of a prestige show that should have been one-and-done.

The only saving grace is that the seventh episode is completely bugfuck crazy. It's like an episode from a different and superior show broadcast on a different and superior planet in a different and superior universe. Seriously, if you want a good time go into s2e7 blind, it doesn't matter if you watched the first season or not. Don't bother with episode 8, it's as lovely as the first 6.

edit: Goliath is on Prime and the first season is really good, should have started with that

I actually kind of liked the 2nd season, the characters were utterly ridiculous and I just rolled with it.

Episode 7 was amazing though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Disaster Artist is up on Prime Video. Fantastic movie, even if you haven't watched The Room.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Tau was a very by-the-book "A.I. becomes a real boy" story.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Perestroika posted:

Not sure how long it's been on Netflix, but I just caught Hannah Gadsby: Nanette and holy poo poo that was an experience. It's solid comedy, but what really took me by surprise just how powerfully emotional it got towards the end. Easily one of the best standup routines I've seen on Netflix so far.

You're right. It is brilliant. It should also be noted that she stars in the amazing Australian show Please Like Me.

But people should also understand that the second half of her special is very graphic about her rape, and people should understand what they're walking into.

I really hope she doesn't retire from comedy like she says she will.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Perestroika posted:

Hey yeah people should watch this.
Just be aware that it's not the light hearted laughs style of comedy. There's laughs to be had but Gadsby says early on that she thinks she should quit comedy, and over the course of the show proceeds to pretty much do that, using the jokes and laughs at the start of the show as a reference point for why.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just finished GLOW season 2 and it's superb. Episode 8 is... uh... well you'll see

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just finished GLOW season 2 and it's superb. Episode 8 is... uh... well you'll see

Best episode of TV all year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is it just everyone pissing loudly?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I lost track of some of the characters and names in Glow. Who was the person that died from AIDS? Was it Bash's family butler?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was his personal butler. He was in S1.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone else use crave tv for streaming? I just got it and there seems to be a ton of good stuff on there to stream.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught REVENGE last night (Prime rental). Holy smokes, what a movie! I've been comparing it to You're Next, The Guest, and Drive. It's really beautifully shot, incredibly stylish in a Refnian way at times, and then horrendously gory. It swings from sexy to sleazy to uncomfortable to ultraviolent in a really compelling way, and it's a pitch black comedy to boot. It was just a real blast to watch.

Be warned, there is a rape scene in it and while it's not "full on", it's also not "tastefully" looked away from either. It's gross and unpleasant. But what comes afterwards is... cathartic. :getin:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just finished season 3 of the Expanse and it was one of the most enjoyable seasons of TV I've ever watched. The show has gotten consistently better as time goes on, which is pretty rare. Also has some of the best female characters in any genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just finished season 3 of the Expanse and it was one of the most enjoyable seasons of TV I've ever watched. The show has gotten consistently better as time goes on, which is pretty rare. Also has some of the best female characters in any genre.
Is Season 3 included in prime on Amazon now?