Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mal era
Jun 12, 2013

Caganer posted:

If anyone does want to see... it's like, really bad. "Intentional infliction of emotional distress" level bad if you're sending it to the family :smith:

I don't think you should send it unsolicited even though it does make you want to slow down

this is her before:

And this is her after (EXTREMELY GOREY PICTURE WARNING)

:nms::nms::nms::nms::nms:
http://www.bestgore.com/road-accidents/porsche-girl-nikki-catsouras-carcrash-photos/attachment/nikki-catsouras-porsche-girl-car-accident-07/
:nms::nms::nms::nms::nms:

Related, and I guess this is unnerving in its own right…

I have followed this thread for a long time and always hoped to contribute, but maybe not in this way.

De-lurking for the first time in years to respond to this general subject (and not the poster personally) about the abuse of police scene photographs:

I remember seeing the picture of that girl on 4chan as a teenager. It was, in fact, the most memorable reason I stopped chasing the edgier asscracks of the internet as a teenager and resigned myself to myspace, neopets, livejournal, and poo poo.

I never knew her story, or what people then did to her family, only that she was mocked for being a rich kid who got her poo poo pushed in ‘by fate’, but holy gently caress. That image haunted me.

My eldest brother was killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street one evening in 1994. He died upon impact, according to the coroner. Massive head injury after his body was bounced off the front of the Volvo. He was sixteen.

I won’t go into the weird politics of the death beyond saying that the driver was a teacher at the local high school and formerly married into law enforcement. The eventual settlement covered funeral expenses only. The woman who killed him walked free after that, in spite of being a known alcoholic. Her companion, who fled the scene on foot and was not her husband, was never identified. And the woman herself was not sobriety tested until hours after the collision, because the responding officer was a friend.

What I can say on the topic of cops misusing dead people pictures is this:

My brother was not drunk or driving that night (in fact, he’d just gotten his license and returned my mom’s lovely Oldsmobile hours prior, per his brand new vehicle curfew), but when the police came to photograph his corpse, at least one of the officers decided it was worthwhile to use as a shocking image for Driver’s Ed students.

My family was unaware of this fact. My mother, who was just recently widowed (1990), was never consulted. There was no consent given. We found out years later only because my middle brother inevitably took Driver’s Ed in high school, in the same area, and was greeted with the image of his dead brother smeared across the road, whom he recognized by the grunge band t-shirt and the shoes.

What happened after that is a longish story that wrecked my family for years, but even then, I am thankful that it was before the internet became widely used. I cannot begin to imagine the horror that family has suffered for a few vicious laughs from trolls. And while I imagine his pictures have probably been leaked somewhere, at some point, into the internet, I prefer to pretend that’s not the reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hell yeah I saw the word neopets

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm sorry all that happened to you and your family, mal era.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Forums poster Sid Vicious calls for civility and decorum

Tbf sid is one of the nicest and most sincere dudes to ever post on this site so I will not accept defamations of him

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Jun 30, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although to also be fair he’s posting up a manic storm and is probably on something because of his broken ribs

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just got a new avatar I only had two days of Tylenol 3s I'm just having a good time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This isn't a debate we need to be having. Enough about the photos, please.

In other news, we're up to fourteen severed feet in Canada.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/americas/dismembered-foot-washes-ashore-canada-trnd/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries

I'm sorry, how many is that in metric?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

I just got a new avatar I only had two days of Tylenol 3s I'm just having a good time.

Ah well please continue

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sorry, how many is that in metric?

4.3 severed meters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Tbf sid is one of the nicest and most sincere dudes to ever post on this site so I will not accept defamations of him

Fair, I was just commenting on his username.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Don't listen I'm real mean grr

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Caganer posted:

if they executed me id save up my farts and toot for a long time and theyd be all smelling it hahahah

You are a repugnant person.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

mal era posted:

Related, and I guess this is unnerving in its own right…

I have followed this thread for a long time and always hoped to contribute, but maybe not in this way.

De-lurking for the first time in years to respond to this general subject (and not the poster personally) about the abuse of police scene photographs:

Thank you for posting that. I'm sorry that loving horrible thing happened to you and your family.
And it's pretty loving disturbing how often a similar story would have played out for other people.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm sorry for your loss and what happened afterwards, mal era. I hope you and your family are doing better these days.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Holy poo poo mal era, that's terrible. I want to give you all the hugs.

I used to live a couple blocks from a high school, and the school/cops always put a crumpled up vehicle right in front of the school around this time (prom/graduation season) as a warning about drunk driving. Now I'm wondering whose cars those were, and if anyone was traumatized by having to see it for weeks on end. :( I'm hoping it wasn't someone's car that went to that school, or even lived in that neighborhood, and they got the family's consent to use it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My high school would do the same thing except they would get some seniors to act out a drunk driving crash site with co-operation from police and emts. They'd even use the jaws of life to have to cut someone out of the car and take them away in the ambulance.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We didn’t have that. But a few years before I started a student tried to show off on his motorbike outside the school. He lost control and hit a brick wall and died. There was a patch of brickwork on the wall that didn’t match the rest of it. Probably intentional.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

We usually had a mangled car near student parking. We also had a lot of idiot teen drivers get seriously injured and one girl got run over by a bus.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I used to have nightmares about our road safety ads when I was 7 or 8 because they involved like a class of infants being mangled by a flipping car or this one where a bf and gf are walking home from different schools texting each other and it's very cute then your man gets mowed down by a car and you see blood spray out of his mouth. or this other one where a guy doesn't where his seat belt and mortal combat fatalities everyone else in the car with his head. But sure look all my friends say I drive like an old woman so it worked out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1rKHGeMRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXMjaxtE6LI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epTdI-9V6Jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ErxBKo6SU

all these and many other hits!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:stare: Ireland does not fook around with its driving psa's. Those are almost as bad as The Infamous Canadian PSA About Kitchen Safety. (I'll link it if anyone wants, but as someone who works around hot fryer oil every day, it's hard for me to even see the thumbnail without cringing)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm sure this has come up in this thread before, but writer Gay Talese spent a looooooong time in contact with a man who considered himself a pioneer in the sexual research field. How did he do his research and why is it unnerving, you ask?

Why, he owned a motel that had special vents installed so he could peep on the guests, taking a special interest when they were bumping uglies.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a few years ago my coworker's mum got hit and killed by a truck, the driver was texting, i heard from another worker that she was cleanly bisected at the waist

he got three days' compassionate leave and that was granted only begrudgingly (it was almost november! christmas rush!!)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In high school we had a special event where the Drama kids would be recruited to put on an anti-drunk driving demonstration. It was done in the form of a skit on the football field of two actors playing a couple going out to prom, followed by a loud BANG and them pulling the tarp off a wrecked car. Then they'd land a helicopter and fly the one surviving victim to the hospital, which everyone mostly thought was cool as hell.

In my senior year, the paramedics let the actress covered in gore makeup play a prank by stumbling off the helicopter toward the rest of the hospital staff when they landed and scaring them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Where did you live where that was somehow affordable for your HS to put on.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sure this has come up in this thread before, but writer Gay Talese spent a looooooong time in contact with a man who considered himself a pioneer in the sexual research field. How did he do his research and why is it unnerving, you ask?

Why, he owned a motel that had special vents installed so he could peep on the guests, taking a special interest when they were bumping uglies.

Didn’t it come out that Guy made up the story?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Nckdictator posted:

Didn’t it come out that Guy made up the story?

Not exactly. It turned out that the motel owner was an unreliable narrator. There is significant question about the veracity of many of his statements, but Talese didn't invent the story from whole cloth. At first, Talese disavowed his own book when Foos started to look like a liar, but he later went back on that and started backing Foos's story, again.

More disturbing is Gay Talese saying Anthony Rapp should "suck it up" in regards to Spacey molesting him.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
werner herzog also did a road safety ad aimed at getting people to not text and drive.

only of course since he's werner herzog it's 32 minutes long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqFkRwdFZ0

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
In my HS we had the gore films, but the drivers ed teachers were like, "meh, let's have the school mascot dog barrel up and down the aisles trying to eat the student's backpacks every day instead" and didn't show them. I think we had a crumpled up car maybe freshman year? But then one of the beloved A-list seniors hydroplaned and slammed headfirst into a brick mailbox because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt ~~even though she always diiiidddddddd, ooooohhhh wooooww Jesus was calling her hooooommmmmeee~~ :ghost:

You guys ever have that super creepy, religious Columbine girl gym meeting? I remember they talked for like 2 hours about God and prayed to a giant cross and it was sketchy af how they wanted us to all believe she had a vision of her death or something. Think they were selling a book at the end?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

empty sea posted:

In my HS we had the gore films, but the drivers ed teachers were like, "meh, let's have the school mascot dog barrel up and down the aisles trying to eat the student's backpacks every day instead" and didn't show them. I think we had a crumpled up car maybe freshman year? But then one of the beloved A-list seniors hydroplaned and slammed headfirst into a brick mailbox because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt ~~even though she always diiiidddddddd, ooooohhhh wooooww Jesus was calling her hooooommmmmeee~~ :ghost:

You guys ever have that super creepy, religious Columbine girl gym meeting? I remember they talked for like 2 hours about God and prayed to a giant cross and it was sketchy af how they wanted us to all believe she had a vision of her death or something. Think they were selling a book at the end?

I was too old for that, but I read about it in Columbine. When she was falsely believed to have died a martyr by saying she believed in God in front of those evil atheists, her parents went around and formed a practically cult-like worship of her that talked about how she was getting married to Jesus in Heaven. It got to the point where people who tried to say "Um no, she actually died screaming and crying before being shot in the face" got harassed and shamed.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

avshalemon posted:

a few years ago my coworker's mum got hit and killed by a truck, the driver was texting, i heard from another worker that she was cleanly bisected at the waist

he got three days' compassionate leave and that was granted only begrudgingly (it was almost november! christmas rush!!)

What is compassionate leave?

Please, please, please don't say it's paid time off because then I'm gonna ruin your view of the real world

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Drunk Nerds posted:

What is compassionate leave?

Please, please, please don't say it's paid time off because then I'm gonna ruin your view of the real world

There's nothing in law in the US AFAIK that grants bereavement leave, so it's probably used from the time given by the Family Medical Leave Act whichallows employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i am not in america, and compassionate leave is unpaid time off

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The last place I worked had bereavement leave. I was a supervisor and one of my employees took time off for his mom's funeral. I informed the heads of the department that I was issuing bereavement time and they told me to get a funeral program from him as proof. I refused and they eventually backed off on requiring proof for bereavement leave.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Untrustable posted:

they told me to get a funeral program from him as proof.

That's rather generous as people can just print those. Working in insurance, I got screamed at a lot because for proof of death, we required a death certificate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Post poste posted:

That's rather generous as people can just print those. Working in insurance, I got screamed at a lot because for proof of death, we required a death certificate.

I would scream at you too in that situation, honestly

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

The last place I worked had bereavement leave. I was a supervisor and one of my employees took time off for his mom's funeral. I informed the heads of the department that I was issuing bereavement time and they told me to get a funeral program from him as proof. I refused and they eventually backed off on requiring proof for bereavement leave.

When I worked at Barnes and Noble they not only gave me bereavement leave for my grandpas funeral just on my word but also had a... bereavement fern in a planter shipped to us? It was a little confusing but I appreciated the sentiment

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jul 1, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I worked at Barnes and Noble they not only gave me bereavement leave for my grandpas funeral just on my word but also had a... bereavement fern in a planter shipped to us? It was a little confusing but I appreciated the sentiment

You're why they're going out of business. You should have sent them a fern and given them your pay

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
The Right to Kill: Should Brazil keep its Amazon tribes from taking the lives of their children?

quote:

More than a decade ago, Kanhu left the homeland of the Kamayurá, an indigenous tribe with some 600 members on the southern edge of the Brazilian Amazon. She was 7 years old. She never returned. “If I had remained there,” Kanhu, who has progressive muscular dystrophy, told Brazilian lawmakers last year, “I would certainly be dead.”

That’s because her community would likely have killed her, just as, for generations, it has killed other children born with disabilities.

The Kamayurá are among a handful of indigenous peoples in Brazil known to engage in infanticide and the selective killing of older children. Those targeted include the disabled, the children of single mothers, and twins — whom some tribes, including the Kamayurá, see as bad omens. Kanhu’s father, Makau, told me of a 12-year-old boy from his father’s generation whom the tribe buried alive because he “wanted to be a woman.” (Kanhu and Makau, like many Kamayurá, go by only one name.)

The evangelical missionaries who helped Kanhu and her family move to Brasília, the capital of Brazil, have since spearheaded a media and lobbying campaign to crack down on child killing. Their efforts have culminated in a controversial bill aimed at eradicating the practice, which won overwhelming approval in a 2015 vote by the Chamber of Deputies, the lower house of Brazil’s National Congress, and is currently under consideration in the Federal Senate, its upper house.

But what may seem an overdue safeguard has drawn widespread condemnation from academics and indigenous rights groups in the country. The Brazilian Association of Anthropology, in an open letter published on its website, has called the bill an attempt to put indigenous peoples “in the permanent condition of defendants before a tribunal tasked with determining their degree of savagery.”

The controversy over child killing has raised a fundamental question for Brazil — a vast country that is home to hundreds of protected tribes, many living in varying degrees of isolation: To what extent should the state interfere with customs that seem inhumane to the outside world but that indigenous peoples developed long ago as a means to ensure group survival in an unforgiving environment?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It's racist to not let them kill their disabled children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nowhere is safe.