Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Retarded Goatee posted:

is it the authoritarian strongman appeal?

Volkerball posted:

Well he's alive for starters.

I was perfectly willing to leave it open for amusing responses along the line of the first one, but it's the second one. :v:

not that I'm not on board with Zombie Mossadegh, mind you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about stop dude. The most sectarian and hateful bigots you will ever meet in life are middle easterners like Talib whom view themselves as superior to the rest of the "Rats" around them. They make Trump look inclusive.

....?? Was this aimed at Squalid? Because you're agreeing with me.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I missed this earlier, Lindsey Graham actually visited US troops in Syria:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-07-03/graham-s-surprise-visit-to-manbij-video
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/republican-senator-in-syria-terrible-if-american-troops-leave-1.6242127
He also vised Iraq, Turkey and a couple other places, but pictures and videos of the Syria visit are suspiciously absent from his official twitter account.

Also, some good and pleasant news for a change:
https://twitter.com/murad_ismael/status/1009898684975321088

quote:

Today was the first wedding in Shingal (Sinjar) with music play after 4 years of the #Genocide.. our people suffered greatly, but they will never give up to tyranny and evil.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/martinpatience/status/1015204113917898752

All the people displaced from the regimes advance. A quarter million to 300,000 is where most estimates have it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are there any reports on people returning to the "liberated" areas of Syria?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

OPCW FFM just published its interim report on the Douma attack, confirming the presence of chlorine at the two impact sites. https://www.opcw.org/news/article/o...tarrab-in-2016/

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Brown Moses posted:

OPCW FFM just published its interim report on the Douma attack, confirming the presence of chlorine at the two impact sites. https://www.opcw.org/news/article/o...tarrab-in-2016/

Jeez, I'm seeing people on Reddit saying that the report proves there wasn't a Chemical attack:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/8wml0b/just_released_opcw_report_finds_no_evidence_of/

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Jeez, I'm seeing people on Reddit saying that the report proves there wasn't a Chemical attack:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/8wml0b/just_released_opcw_report_finds_no_evidence_of/

The syrian civil war subreddit has been completly taken over, to the point that even TOW videos are downvoted until they are deleted to hide the notion that the SAA is less than competent.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

....?? Was this aimed at Squalid? Because you're agreeing with me.

I also was super confused reading his reply to your post since he said literally the same thing you said.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/huseyinbozan/status/1014420681545707520

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Didn't take them for irridentist Spaniards tbh.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Syrian Opposition are a bunch of useless frauds. FRAUDS.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Frond posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Frond posted:

FRONDS.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Another round of mass firings in Turkey, supposedly the last before the state of emergency is lifted.

quote:

Turkey sacks 18,500 state employees over alleged 'terror' links

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/turkey-sacks-18500-state-employees-alleged-terrorism-links-180708065111639.html

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So in total, how many people has Erdogan fired? And how does he still have a functioning state left after this?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Orange Devil posted:

So in total, how many people has Erdogan fired? And how does he still have a functioning state left after this?

...define functioning.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

The last time I made statistics for everyone who had been purged, fired, or even arrested since the failed coup, the sum exceeded 1‰ of the Turkish population (or 0.1% if you prefer). I wouldn't be surprised if it reached 1.5‰ now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

The last time I made statistics for everyone who had been purged, fired, or even arrested since the failed coup, the sum exceeded 1‰ of the Turkish population (or 0.1% if you prefer). I wouldn't be surprised if it reached 1.5‰ now.

I didn't know what that symbol meant. Now I wonder why anyone uses it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's also ‱.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Count Roland posted:

It's used when % is too big unit.
Blood alcohol level is the most common use case.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

That's a pretty impressive map in the background, its really rare that the computer both forms the HRE while keeping a hold of Rome

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Count Roland posted:

You've never heard of something being measured in parts per thousand or million?? It's used for the same reason you have centimetres and meters and kilometers.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

you have centimetres and meters and kilometers.

Ha Ha Ha funny. But seriously folks, I would walk a thousand miles and I would walk a thousand more,

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd be much more interested in the percentage of public employees he's purged, fired or arrested.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

khwarezm posted:

I've also heard the same sentiment from some Russian friends, so I'm trying to get it right, before I start arguing with them. It says

quote:

The results show that no organophosphorous nerve agents or their degradation products were detected in the environmental samples or in the plasma samples taken from alleged casualties.

If I understand correctly, the agent is used in, among other things, sarin, the gas that was widely reported to be used in those attacks (some of them?). So people tend to stop reading at this point, I suppose. What's not clear to me right now is what it means in relation to reporting on the attacks. Who got it wrong first, how, and why?

Further down the report also says that

quote:

various chlorinated organic chemicals were found in samples from two sites, for which there is full chain of custody.
Chlorine, and I may be completely wrong here, wasn't as heavily reported on compared to sarin, so maybe people just don't understand that the presence of 'chlorinated organic chemicals' still can mean chemical weapons (if they don't just argue in bad faith).

I also want to understand the following part, however

quote:

Work by the team to establish the significance of these results is on-going.
Does this mean it may not be chlorine (or at least it wasn't used specifically as a chemical weapon), or are they just trying to establish the exact compound used or something?

Would it be fair to say that the report is not conclusive, and definitively saying that chemical weapons were or were not used is not possible at the moment?

E: in the comments on that reddit posts someone also quotes this

quote:

Based on the equipment and chemicals observed during the two on-site visits to the warehouse and the facility suspected by the authorities of the Syrian Arab Republic of producing chemical weapons, there was no indication of either facility being involved in the production of chemical warfare agents.
Can this still mean that chemical weapons were stored there?

E2: Oh, and the most important thing, of course, is that the report doesn't contradict previous reports on Gouta, for example, where sarin was used conclusively. People seem to think that this report somehow claims that sarin never was used in Syria full stop, which, as far as I can tell, is not true.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 10, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

You've never heard of something being measured in parts per thousand or million?? It's used for the same reason you have centimetres and meters and kilometers.

Changing units every multiple of 10 is dumb. Instead it should be multiples of 1000.

There's also decameters and hectameters and all kinds of units that we don't generally use because they're too obscure. I am a goon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

I'd be much more interested in the percentage of public employees he's purged, fired or arrested.

http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=21579

quote:

According to data gathered by The Ministry of Finance, total public sector employment realized as 3 million 569 thousand persons with 1.7% percentage point increase in the third quarter of 2016 compared to the same period of the previous year.

So approximately 3%?

Count Roland posted:

Changing units every multiple of 10 is dumb. Instead it should be multiples of 1000.

There's also decameters and hectameters and all kinds of units that we don't generally use because they're too obscure. I am a goon.

Yeah but since the prefixes are regular, if you stumble upon a length measured as "5 decameters" you'll be able to convert it to "50 meters" without having to consult Wikipedia for help.

There's also a question of implied precision. If you say "ten kilometers" you're not expecting this measure to be extremely precise. "10 000 meters" already implies a greater accuracy in the measure. "10 000 000 millimeters" even more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

That's why per mille, rather than per cent, should be the default measure for fractions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

There's also a question of implied precision. If you say "ten kilometers" you're not expecting this measure to be extremely precise. "10 000 meters" already implies a greater accuracy in the measure. "10 000 000 millimeters" even more.

Only sometimes. Altitude is one of those things that's measured in small units, even at low precision (ie flying at 10 000m). I feel significant digits is a bit of a scam honestly, though I understand its utility.

steinrokkan posted:

That's why per mille, rather than per cent, should be the default measure for fractions.

Hail satan.

fake edit: man this is the ME thread? Slow few days.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Chlorine, and I may be completely wrong here, wasn't as heavily reported on compared to sarin, so maybe people just don't understand that the presence of 'chlorinated organic chemicals' still can mean chemical weapons (if they don't just argue in bad faith).

IIRC using chlorine as a weapon is legally considered chemical weapons use, but it doesn't rile people up too much since no one is ever going to ban chlorine so you kind of just have to accept it as a fact of life. So yes maybe chlorine gas counts as chemical weapon use, but it's nowhere near as shocking (or deadly) as, say, sarin, since one of them is something any idiot can make in five minutes from off-the-shelf goods in any hardware store on the planet. IIRC don't even tear gas and mace count legally as chemical weapons? Out of all the atrocious things Assad has done, the semi-regular use of chlorine bombs doesn't really tip my rage-o-meter very far, and presumably the same is true for the general public.

That said I'm not a chemist and don't know if 'chlorinated organic chemicals' can reasonably imply things besides chlorine gas.

E: Also the fact that chlorine gas is so absurdly easy to make and use, including most frequently by idiots accidentally in their own homes, it's also a lot harder to definitively pin it on Assad, even though IMO that is far and away the only possible culprit for Douma. Also IIRC the rebels have fired chlorine gas shells at government-held areas semi-regularly, not that two wrongs make a right, but that it's not going to move anyone's rage-o-meter against Assad very far. Again assuming "chlorinated organic chemicals" just means the chlorine gas that you can make out of things that nearly 100% of posters in this thread could currently produce in their own homes in under 5 minutes.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

So approximately 3%?

I feel like he's fired and imprisoned more than 100K people over the past 3 years, but it's not like I've been keeping count.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think some people think unless the OPCW finds pure CL2 then any other chlorine byproducts can't have anything to do with chlorine being used, not that they're a result of chlorine gas interacting with the environment. It's an interim report, so the final report should be clearer on what was used and where.

As for the use of Sarin or another nerve agent, I think the allegations can be split into two categories. There's one where the severity of symptoms may had lead to local groups believing a nerve agent was used, because there's been a lot of chlorine attacks, but this was one where the victims would have been trapped in a cloud of chlorine gas even after they died, so symptoms including heavy foaming around the nose and mouth that may make people think its Sarin, plus a lot more people died compared to other chlorine attacks. Second, we've no real details about the samples Western states are claiming had signs of Sarin in. Maybe it came from the victims who ended up buried and weren't part of the OPCW FFM report, maybe after the delay with the OPCW gathering samples signs of nerve agents were gone, but I think we'll need to wait for the final OPCW FFM report before that's cleared up. I have to assume the OPCW received those samples, so hopefully they can clarify if they detected anything in them.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Tsurkov has done a big piece of research on attitudes of civilians in opposition areas to armed groups, and with a significant conclusion:

quote:

Across Syria, civilians and combatants alike are tired of the war and many who have previously dared to dream of a different Syria have been broken by seven years of war and deprivation. Many Syrians are willing to submit themselves to Assad’s police state once again in exchange for safety from bombings and the provision of basic services. Damascus is winning the war in Syria not simply by regaining territory, but also by breaking the spirit and willingness to resist the regime in areas under its control and areas still outside of it.

The regime currently requires manpower to retake rebel-held areas, and therefore has the incentive to continue pursuing a policy of ideological engineering by absorbing Sunni population without their rebellious elements. The regime, however, is fully aware that many of those residing under its control resent the regime and may rise up against it once again. As long as the war continues, the regime’s focus is on the battlefield. As the war winds down, the regime may turn to dealing with those disloyal elements.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks, that clears up some things!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Hodeidah, Yemen update from yesterday

quote:

DUBAI (Reuters) - A Saudi-led coalition has made no major gains in its offensive to wrest control of Yemen’s Hodeidah port from the Iran-aligned Houthis, leaving it without the decisive increase in leverage it had sought against the group in U.N.-sponsored peace efforts.

The alliance led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates launched the offensive on the heavily defended Red Sea city on June 12 in the largest battle of the three-year war, which the United Nations fears risks triggering a famine.

The Arab states pledged a swift operation to take over Hodeidah’s air and sea ports, without entering the city center, seeking to minimize civilian casualties and avoid disruption of the port, a lifeline for millions in the impoverished state where 8.4 million are believed to be on the verge of starvation.

But they have made little progress in the campaign which Riyadh and Abu Dhabi say aims to cut off the Houthis’ main supply line and force the group to the negotiating table.

The coalition announced on June 20 that it had seized Hodeidah airport, but local military and aid sources told Reuters that neither side has complete control of the airport and its surrounding area, which spreads over 20 km (12 miles).

“The coalition never took control of the airport,” Houthi leader Mohammed Ali al-Houthi told Reuters.

A pro-coalition Yemeni military source said the Houthis hold the northern outskirts of the area while coalition-backed forces are trying to maintain their positions along the southern edges.

A senior aid official said coalition forces had initially penetrated the perimeter of the airport. “But that was short lived for less than 24 hours and they were pushed out,” the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.

Coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki reiterated that the airport was now under the control of the alliance although Houthi fighters continued to launch “indirect fire” from surrounding areas into the airport.

“The coalition is in full control of the airport. There are no Houthi fighters within the airport perimeter,” he told Reuters on Monday.

A UAE official said Malki’s statement represented both countries.

DAUNTING CHALLENGE
The situation illustrates the daunting challenge faced by the coalition in seeking to take control of Hodeidah port in the absence of a political solution.

The Houthis, who control the most populated areas of Yemen including the capital Sanaa, are adept at guerrilla warfare. Houthi fighters have been harassing UAE-led forces near the airport and on the coastal road that the coalition uses to resupply its forces from military bases on the western coast.

After the UAE announced a halt in military operations to give U.N. mediation efforts a chance, fighting broke out on Friday and Saturday as coalition-backed forces tried to push Houthi fighters further inland to secure the coastal strip south of Hodeidah.

“It’s hard to see that the Houthis would be swiftly defeated in Hodeidah, even if the coalition activates what it refers to as local resistance,” said Joost Hiltermann, Middle East and North Africa Program Director for International Crisis Group.

The Western-backed alliance intervened in Yemen in 2015 to restore the internationally recognized government in exile, but neither side has made much progress in the conflict, widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and archfoe Iran.

U.N. special envoy Martin Griffiths has been shuttling between the warring parties to avert an all-out assault on Hodeidah that the United Nations fears will exacerbate what is already the world’s most urgent humanitarian crisis.

He held a second round of talks with the Houthis in Sanaa last week and is expected to do the same with ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, currently based in his government’s temporary headquarters in the southern city of Aden.

The Houthis have offered to hand over management of the port to the United Nations as part of an overall ceasefire in Hodeidah province, according to the United Nations, but the coalition has said that the Houthis must quit the western coast.

The Arab states accuse the Houthis of using the port to smuggle Iranian-made weapons, including missiles that have targeted Saudi cities. Tehran and the group deny the accusations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-markets/u-s-stocks-rise-on-earnings-optimism-dollar-gains-idUSKBN1K001A

Not a surprise here but I guess the fog of war is p thick for journalism.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oops

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
This thread has some information on what it's like for some Syrian refugees and their return to Syria

https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1016678612995592192

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Either the Houthis are the hardest motherfuckers on the planet, or the KSA-Emirates just dropped their best and brightest mercenaries in a beehive with absolutely no support whatsoever and in either or possibly both cases I'm in shock.

The Saudis are really gonna have to genocide the civilian population this year, aren't they? If this doesn't work, they have no backup plan. This was the backup plan. Luckily, participants in this thread may be relied upon to apply its indignant outrage agnostically to all noncombatants in all affected nations, and definitely is not rooting for Team Whatever.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

Hodeidah, Yemen update from yesterday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-markets/u-s-stocks-rise-on-earnings-optimism-dollar-gains-idUSKBN1K001A

Not a surprise here but I guess the fog of war is p thick for journalism.

How is it even possible they've made so little progress? Is there heavy fighting going on? Have they been bombing the city?

Though I guess the paucity of information is kinda the point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Count Roland posted:

fake edit: man this is the ME thread? Slow few days.

A lot is still happening in Syria since the SAA is making a bunch of progress against the southern front rebels and has now captured the entirety of the Jordanian border except for the area around our base in Tanf, and the Idlib rebels launched their most successful assault on Latakia in years before being turned back, but honestly now that the general outcome of the war is stabilizing (the southern front rebels were doomed the second the US told them they were on their own), even territorial gains are more expected outcomes than big news.

The big things still left to be determined are the fate of Idlib (under Turkish protection to some extent, but not occupied by them, which seems like a temporary arrangement that can't last, particularly with rebels still launching attacks from that territory), the fate of the area Turkey actually does occupy (my guess is Turkey will basically keep some level of control of most of it pretty much forever under some pretext or another, though likely without annexation for the most part), and what the final shape of the deal the SAA will presumably reach with the YPG will look like once Trump decides to pack up and go home. There have been a LOT of rumors about them coming to terms on a number of issues, but so far they seem to be unconfirmed.

I think the other thing that killed discussion is just that there's not much to argue about anymore. Most posters here are from Western countries, so naturally a lot of the more contentious issues have to do with what role the West is playing in the conflict, but now that role seems to be winding down. Of course some posters are happy about that, and some posters are unhappy about that, but as it becomes an accepted reality it would be kind of pointless to keep calling each other names for months while arguing over a decision that seems to have already been made (until a new contentious conflict arises somewhere else and we all point to the "lessons" of the Syrian civil war when making various arguments about that problem).

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 10, 2018