Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I really wish Abbott would say upfront that we need America to defend us against the Chinese and lay out his explanation for why they would invade as opposed to maintaining the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not sure that the Chinese are benign, but the Vietnamese have never lost a war thanks to being ballers so they're our best defence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unless they cut a deal this time then we're double hosed.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Unless they cut a deal this time then we're double hosed.

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted posting personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground iphone caves

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lid posted:

"America can't be expected to fight harder for its Australian ally than we would be prepared to fight for ourselves or to do more for Australia than we would already do for ourselves," he said.

How many pointless wars do we need to follow the States into

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Let's say we increase our spending by 1% of GDP (so an extra 17 billion a year). Does Abbott really think that would save us if China actually went on the offensive against Australia?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

How many pointless wars do we need to follow the States into

"All of them" - Tony Abbott

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Meet Australia's professional full-time part-timers

Australia is increasingly working part-time, full-time, as the number of professionals working two jobs surges.

I’m doing this. Full time 40-44 hours, then 16-32 hours part time. It’s not by loving choice - life in Melbourne is expensive, and I’m attempting (poorly) to save a deposit for a house that I’ll likely never actually be able to afford.

Senor Tron posted:

Let's say we increase our spending by 1% of GDP (so an extra 17 billion a year). Does Abbott really think that would save us if China actually went on the offensive against Australia?

Hey cobber, you seem to have forgotten about THE ANZAC SPIRIT, which allows our fighting diggers the ability to overcome any obstacle.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Good OP

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m doing this. Full time 40-44 hours, then 16-32 hours part time. It’s not by loving choice - life in Melbourne is expensive, and I’m attempting (poorly) to save a deposit for a house that I’ll likely never actually be able to afford.

Hey cobber, you seem to have forgotten about THE ANZAC SPIRIT, which allows our fighting diggers the ability to overcome any obstacle.

mate just get a better paying job

(jk that must suck. I could not deal with f/t and p/t jobs at the same time. you are obviously a very hard worker so good on you, just wish it wasn't necessary just to afford a loving house)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

I mean I understand bell-jar's point but at the same time not respecting authority is a case of playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes. Like you're not going to win anything good by not standing and its just a customary gesture to acknowledge you are in a house of judgement and in the presence of the eyes and ears of the law.
I have to laugh at the whole situation because the 'victim' is doing it deliberately for publicity and perceived martyrdom. The courts ignoring it would actually have been the smart play. Why are so few sovereign citizens Muslim women? These are the important questions, under admiralty law.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Im taking the Trump humanitarian approach on this and hope our government is going to send a bill for services rendered. Also this is another case of putting other countries peoples welfare before our own. There is no room for sentiment as Trump has shown when a nation gives and receives nothing in return.If was Trump was running this rescue he would have embedded clauses about revenues from the up coming movie to be made to cover costs our country can ill afford.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Jeez, that sucks. :(

I worked full time + part time for a little while, but even though I was super young at the time I recognised how insanely unsustainable it was. I hink I lasted about three months before I quit one of the jobs.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

snoremac posted:

Im taking the Trump humanitarian approach on this and hope our government is going to send a bill for services rendered. Also this is another case of putting other countries peoples welfare before our own. There is no room for sentiment as Trump has shown when a nation gives and receives nothing in return.If was Trump was running this rescue he would have embedded clauses about revenues from the up coming movie to be made to cover costs our country can ill afford.

I don't think you're in the right thread buddy but also, you sound like you should gently caress off in general.

Also Abbott has almost definitely been approached by a military industrial lobbyist, and asked to please do the needful. It won't work, because he's a pathetic operator suffering from Relevance Deprivation Syndrome, but eh.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
That was boltcomments.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

I don't think you're in the right thread buddy but also, you sound like you should gently caress off in general.

Chill out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Source your loving quotes, idiot.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I am already sourcing my quotes from the trashcan of ideaology every day

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Don Dongington posted:

Source your loving quotes, idiot.

don’t sign your posts, moron

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm not sure that the Chinese are benign, but the Vietnamese have never lost a war thanks to being ballers so they're our best defence.

They’re an autocratic superpower so they’re obviously not benign but what would they gain out of declaring war on Australia? There are a staggering number of downsides and the only tangible benefit I can see - if they successfully invade which is no sure bet - would be cheaper access to our primary resources, noting that demand for resources like iron in China is trending down.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Just a side note, Australia will find it difficult to ramp up military spending without the requisite increase in sustained ADF personnel, and when the whole force is voluntary enlistment, without a current major war they won’t have a chance in hell of bumping that up significantly.

It would take a change in either the law (via mandatory national service, like a lot of europe) or an increase in pay and benefits or both.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Just make nukes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Chinese troops land in Darwin, seize baby formula warehouse

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Les Affaires posted:

Just a side note, Australia will find it difficult to ramp up military spending without the requisite increase in sustained ADF personnel, and when the whole force is voluntary enlistment, without a current major war they won’t have a chance in hell of bumping that up significantly.

It would take a change in either the law (via mandatory national service, like a lot of europe) or an increase in pay and benefits or both.

It's Abbott, so you know which one he wants it to be.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

Chinese troops land in Darwin, seize baby formula warehouse

Australia will fight to the last breath to protect our vital Blackmores supplies.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

trunkh posted:

Australia will fight to the last breath to protect our vital Blackmores supplies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhewd9fLBGU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The Before Times posted:

mate just get a better paying job

(jk that must suck. I could not deal with f/t and p/t jobs at the same time. you are obviously a very hard worker so good on you, just wish it wasn't necessary just to afford a loving house)

froglet posted:

Jeez, that sucks. :(

I worked full time + part time for a little while, but even though I was super young at the time I recognised how insanely unsustainable it was. I hink I lasted about three months before I quit one of the jobs.

Thanks for the kind words, but I’m really lucky that my part-time employer is super helpful and understanding of my full-time commitments.

I’m hoping I don’t need to do it too much longer, but I’ll keep chipping away until I have enough for a deposit!

Property: it only goes up guys, it’s a sure thing, you’re a fool if you don’t have at least 7 negatively geared properties! I just need to get a foot on that ladder in order to become a tent seeking slumlord. Then I can become full-on class traitor.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

They’re an autocratic superpower so they’re obviously not benign but what would they gain out of declaring war on Australia? There are a staggering number of downsides and the only tangible benefit I can see - if they successfully invade which is no sure bet - would be cheaper access to our primary resources, noting that demand for resources like iron in China is trending down.

You sack or destroy the cities and deny material support to our allies. You don't need to land war us. Rockets are sufficient.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Rent out one of your jobs

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/LeeLinChinSBS/status/969008342331830273

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

You sack or destroy the cities and deny material support to our allies. You don't need to land war us. Rockets are sufficient.

Break every alliance imo. Tell anyone that complains that they are being unaustralian by not living up to the 'She'll be right' philosophy that defines what it means to be Australian.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lee Lin Chin is a national treasure and her twitter game is on point

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

these are written by chris leben, producer of sbs' the feed, and not by lee lin chin, sorry if that shatters anyone in this threads dreams of not everything being run by white men

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Lee Lin Chin is a national treasure and her twitter game is on point

oh look i found one

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lee Lin Chin also appears on live and recorded television being cool. Writers or not who gives a poo poo. She's rad and had adopted a cool persona. I also don't want to shock anyone, but did you know stand up comics at the peak of their powers often use writers. They even edit some bits out of their specials!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Lee Lin Chin also appears on live and recorded television being cool. Writers or not who gives a poo poo. She's rad and had adopted a cool persona. I also don't want to shock anyone, but did you know stand up comics at the peak of their powers often use writers. They even edit some bits out of their specials!

I'd say it's pretty important given that they play it straight and so many people go to suck the dick of her online presence because of it. She hardly uses a phone irl. https://studentedge.org/article/what-is-it-like-writing-for-the-queen-of-aus-twitter-we-asked-chris-leben-lee-lin-chins-manservant

But yeah I'm not surprised that you find nothing wrong with a white guy making an online persona about how one of his colleagues loves to get drilled

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

I'd say it's pretty important given that they play it straight and so many people go to suck the dick of her online presence because of it. She hardly uses a phone irl. https://studentedge.org/article/what-is-it-like-writing-for-the-queen-of-aus-twitter-we-asked-chris-leben-lee-lin-chins-manservant

But yeah I'm not surprised that you find nothing wrong with a white guy making an online persona about how one of his colleagues loves to get drilled

The tweet just says dudes want to drill her, probably true.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't think it was possible, but this thread is more joyless than the PS4 thread.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

The tweet just says dudes want to drill her, probably true.

The article I linked posted:

Leben, a writer on The Feed until September last year, was then tasked with writing up some sketches for Lee Lin (whom he hadn't yet met). So, he went around SBS to ask people about her.

"The first thing that we wrote into [her first sketch] was that she was a massive sex pest," Chris admits to Student Edge, ahead of his talk at TEDxYouth on Wednesday, September 6.

but yeah its just a once off and certainly not a creepy recurring factor in "her" tweets

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't really care if a comedy writer writes the comedy tweets for someone else who makes profile off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lee Lin is being held in the SBS basement while a white man writes jokes. Pizzagate was real. Mobilise the antifa.

• Locked thread