Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want a chocobo knight tank job that wields lances one handed and can equip shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I just hope the new jobs start from level 1 this time, I miss the low-level dungeons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azerban posted:

I just hope the new jobs start from level 1 this time

Jesus Christ no

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Skaw posted:

Allagans also had a huge hard on for chimera and other hybridizations. The Ixal are a walking, sqwuaking, thriving product of theirs. And 11s incarnation of Blue Mages were people who got pumped full of monster blood infusions.

As I recall the RDM storyline in this game had some plot points I thought lined up with the BLU storyline in XI. Seemed like one of the NPCs might have been heading in that direction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Azerban posted:

I just hope the new jobs start from level 1 this time, I miss the low-level dungeons.

Why would you wish this evil upon us? I was frustrated enough leveling the HW jobs from 30.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Azerban posted:

slow down, satan

No one wants to run Toto Rak for the 100th time ever.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Uh excuse me, it's called the thousand maws of Toto-Rak for a reason.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Azerban posted:

Also they have to be unlocked through Eureka

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

And you have to finish the MSQ up to the expansion's start.

wait...

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Azerban posted:

The great thing about level sync is that you don't have to be low level to do low level dungeons!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I would be okay with the new classes starting at 1 if and only if all the 1-49 leveling dungeons got an overhaul in the process to bring them up to par with the kind of dungeon design we have now. Toto-Rak is loving horrible and I never want to endure that tedious pile of bullshit ever again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Haukke is the only dungeon before Praetorium that I liked. Sastasha has a neat aesthetic, though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MechaCrash posted:

I would be okay with the new classes starting at 1 if and only if all the 1-49 leveling dungeons got an overhaul in the process to bring them up to par with the kind of dungeon design we have now. Toto-Rak is loving horrible and I never want to endure that tedious pile of bullshit ever again.

Isn't Thousand Maws one of the dungeons that are literally from 1.0? So it makes sense it's one of the single shittiest dungeons in the game. Aurum Vale is one too, iirc

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, Toto-Rak and Aurum Vale are remnants of the version of the game so lovely they blew it up by dropping a moon full of angry dragon god on it. It really shows, too. I think there's a third dungeon from that era, but those are the ones that immediately stick out as being completely horrible.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cutter's Cry and Dzaemel Darkhold are the other two 1.X dungeons. Not surprisingly they are both also awful.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Give me a new class that starts at level 1 because it means so many more class quests for them and I want as much blue mage lore as I can get

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aurum Vale isn't so bad beyond the first room. It just happens to be a dungeon that requires you to continually interact with items on the ground, which breaks the flow of the fight.

Also, you're synced to 49 instead of 50.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Cutter's Cry and Dzaemel Darkhold are the other two 1.X dungeons. Not surprisingly they are both also awful.

I don't actually dislike dismal dorkhold that much, but cutters can gently caress off and die.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, Cutter's Cry, Dzemael Darkhold, and Aurum Vale.
All of them got chunks blocked off to make them more linear, and whatever boss remixing was necessary.
The original versions had a bunch of requirements to get all possible treasure chests upon beating the final boss, including speedrunning, opening all chests, killing certain mobs, and such.

Generally you can figure out where they made their cuts. Toto-Rak had different end-bosses depending on how you ran it (they were all Graffias variants, but Shaula would summon mini-boss adds that would summon more adds when they were at half life, so she was the hard one)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 19, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What's the gil limit for the free trial?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
300,000 gil.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

If you teleport to Ceruleum Processing Plant you can see it being vented by the machinery around the outpost.

Unfortunately the exact color is up for debate as half of the people that view the exhaust swear it's blue and the other half swear that it's gold.

There are giant puddles of it in Cutter's Cry, they like to suddenly explode in blue flames.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, Ceruleum is basically oil if oil was magic

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Drizvolta posted:

There are giant puddles of it in Cutter's Cry, they like to suddenly explode in blue flames.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thedress-what-color-is-this-dress

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

come to mt. rushmore in next 20 minutes if u want an rear end kicking

Also, when and where is Form Shift used besides boss invuln phases? It just seems like a button to skip a GCD, which sounds less than useful at first glance, but I’m guessing there’s more to it than that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, when and where is Form Shift used besides boss invuln phases? It just seems like a button to skip a GCD, which sounds less than useful at first glance, but I’m guessing there’s more to it than that.

Invuln phases and as part of your opener. Form shift to coeurl stance before a fight, first attack get you a stack of greased lightning. The top deeps rotations change it up a bit but that's pretty much the basics of it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Hitting level 20, pretty set on subbing. Some more new player questions for you guys, since you've been so accommodating about answering them so far:

What's up with Leves? Do you just do them all when you unlock an area with them, or save them for maybe levelling other jobs?

Other jobs. Do you roll alts when you want to make another class, or do you just unlock the job for your main and level it up?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Leves are almost entirely just for doing on crafter classes, and you can and should do everything on one character without any real penalty or restrictions.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any need for third party mods for playing healer (like I remember there being in WoW)? Or can you do it okay with the interface the game provides? Is it just a matter of clicking the party member's name and then casting the spell?

ACT for damage parsing so you can be proud about about how much DPS you're doing and complain about how the other healer is doing no DPS at all. :black101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A friend of mine just finished Ultima Weapon tonight. Praetorium is so looooooong, you guys. :shepicide:

Also, he made a dark-skinned Monk catgirl whose Guardian deity is Rhalgr. I don't think he even intended for her to be Ala Mhigan, but that's about as Ala Mhigan as it gets.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Other jobs. Do you roll alts when you want to make another class, or do you just unlock the job for your main and level it up?

Leveling new classes and jobs on the same character is both more efficient and convenient then rolling a new character, for one you do get stages of exp bonuses(armory bonus) for lower level classes as you progress ur main.
Meanwhile an alt character would require you to unlock everything again, be it mounts, main story progress, dungeons, fast travel, riding speed etc.

There is many ways to level up alt classes, the first 15ish levels are the "slowest" since its easiest to just solo FATEs, do hunt logs, class quests etc. Once you are at the level of dungeons then running the daily leveling roulette is best exp/h, then once the daily is done the highest level dungeon available to that class, there is also PotD (range for it best for lvls 25-50), squadron dungeons(unlocks later with your grand company) or pvp for those that like that (lvl30 and up).

Best suggestion is to stick with a main class you feel is fun until at least level 50 where more and more options for levels and bonus exp opens up. Leveling up any class until level 10-12 is quick and takes about 1h or so tops if you want to check out others, but keep in mind most classes don't get their real stuff until level 30 or 40 and can be misleading as how they would play at higher levels(honestly the low level experience is garbage for most classes and should be reworked).

Only reason to ever roll an alt char is if you need a character to play with friends on another server and don't want to transfer, or if you want to play another race without changing ur main by using fantasia.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Resubbed and want to do warrior, what's a good route for gearing up a warrior last played around the launch of stormblood?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

please knock Mom! posted:

Resubbed and want to do warrior, what's a good route for gearing up a warrior last played around the launch of stormblood?
Are you at 70 with WAR yet

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah. I didn't do any new ex fights though. I did those with mch

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
In various order: Creation tomes, Mendacity tomes (capped until 4.4), after you have ilvls for it Sigmascape and Eureka for your AF3 gear. Last one is insanely frontloaded but once you get past that it's not too hard to get set(s) done.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

please knock Mom! posted:

You can :

-Run dungeons for uncapped gear up to i345
-Run sigmascape normals for uncapped parts you trade in for i350 gear
-Farm weekly capped mendacity tomestones for i360 gear which upgrades to i370
-Run Ridorana Lighthouse 24 player raid for i360 gear that's capped to 1 gear drop per week
-Run EX primals for uncapped weapons/gear up to i365.
-Do stuff with Eureka for i355 weapons and gear or something idk
-Farm Heaven on High for i365 weapon
-Buy i350 crafted gear/weapons off the MB and upgrade it to i360 for uncapped creation tomestones

After that its the current end-game raid set and ultimate.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Goon discord is also p. awesome for asking questions and getting help, either with running a dungeon or just general "I am a loving moron what do I do"

I never knew how much having a mount was great until I rerolled on Excalibur and had to walk/sprint everywhere for like 15/20 levels.

I had picked up the game like, a year or so ago, pre-Stormblood, and leveled for a bit during my free month, then dropped it. Recently picked it back up after GuildWars pissed me off a few months ago with their bullshit (Lemme tell you, buying Heart of Thorns and the other expac, then seeing you still had to pay *more money* to unlock core story event contents, then seeing that the game which you could basically just solo around in for 50 levels suddenly decides that you need groups for world "questing" to make it managable, pissed me off quite a bit before the whole firing kerfuffle) and I haven't really regretted it. I did take a short break recently when I got a Lancer on another server to 63-64 ish, since I basically ground that out in about a month, month and a half, then the guild I was in collapsed.

Friend from here told me to just make a new character on Excalibur, so I did. I am, however, leveling All Stupid Like. Decided I wanted a DPS of some kind for doing MSQ, and a WHM for dungeons. The split XP is sometimes a pain, but it's not TOO horrible since there's a fair few things to do to get levels (WHM is easiest, as I can just dungeon a few times and get pretty easy level ups).

The only thing I don't enjoy to date is some DPS in dungeons. Thinking about starting letting them die if they go ahead of the tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A friend of mine just finished Ultima Weapon tonight. Praetorium is so looooooong, you guys. :shepicide:

Also, he made a dark-skinned Monk catgirl whose Guardian deity is Rhalgr. I don't think he even intended for her to be Ala Mhigan, but that's about as Ala Mhigan as it gets.

Did he also name the catgirl M'something so he can meet Mommy and Daddy once he gets to 4.0?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
M'ommy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Besides being a highlander. :v:

Tashilicious posted:

The only thing I don't enjoy to date is some DPS in dungeons. Thinking about starting letting them die if they go ahead of the tank.

Sometimes letting a player die is the kindest thing. Had a godawful garuda hard a couple days ago where the mt kept getting the dps cleaved and then decided to leave garuda in the middle of the arena during the second half. I stopped healing them just so the ot could finally take aggro and move her out of aoe hell.