Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Not only is there not the forethought of how to handle further growth, I don't think there's the will to plan for it.
Apparently people want to make buildings out of glued-together sheets of plywood. How's that for a plan http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2018/07/16/plans-for-record-setting-timber-tower-in-downtown-portland-fall-through/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Not only is there not the forethought of how to handle further growth, I don't think there's the will to plan for it.
Hey, this is Seattle's deal, get off our pad.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Thanatosian posted:

Hey, this is Seattle's deal, get off our pad.

The only future growth I want Seattle to plan for is glorious negative growth until things return back to the way they were in the good ol' days.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
What would it even take for Seattle to start shrinking? A tech bubble burst? A massive Earthquake? A revolution?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Collapse of global trade, collapse of the tech industry, or maybe a recession or depression. A couple are very possible.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Collapse of global trade, collapse of the tech industry, or maybe a recession or depression. A couple are very possible.

Even those wouldn't do it. You think I'm moving back to Arizona for any reason, ever? No way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chadderbox posted:

Even those wouldn't do it. You think I'm moving back to Arizona for any reason, ever? No way.

I hear Pittsburgh is cool and good.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Everyone is moving to Minneapolis now so give it time.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Apparently people want to make buildings out of glued-together sheets of plywood. How's that for a plan http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2018/07/16/plans-for-record-setting-timber-tower-in-downtown-portland-fall-through/

CLT is cool and good, all cities should be upzoned to 120 feet so we can use this new material to build dense inexpensive housing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

CongoJack posted:

What would it even take for Seattle to start shrinking? A tech bubble burst? A massive Earthquake? A revolution?

i tell u wat if they keep raising taxes pretty soon the only ones left will be the bums!!!!!111

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KingFisher posted:

CLT is cool and good, all cities should be upzoned to 120 feet so we can use this new material to build dense inexpensive housing.
But first, they'll need to figure out how to make inexpensive housing out of CLT.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CongoJack posted:

I mean, rising sea levels will make it shrink in the literal sense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

i tell u wat if they keep raising taxes pretty soon the only ones left will be the bums!!!!!111

If this keeps up I might have to sell my million dollar home and move to California :qq:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Got my Washington voters information packet in the mail.

It's glorious. One of the senate candidates scribbled down a manifesto that reads like Charlie from It's Always Sunny wrote it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

It's glorious. One of the senate candidates scribbled down a manifesto that reads like Charlie from It's Always Sunny wrote it.

And I'd still vote for that guy over 95% of the incumbents.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Thanatosian posted:

And I'd still vote for that guy over 95% of the incumbents.

It's *sigh* Cantwell, a few token Law and Order Cut Taxes Shrink Washington GOP fuckers, and then just a cornucopia of absolute madness. One guy used the education prompt to rant for a paragraph.

Oh and of course Joey Gibson.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

It's *sigh* Cantwell, a few token Law and Order Cut Taxes Shrink Washington GOP fuckers, and then just a cornucopia of absolute madness. One guy used the education prompt to rant for a paragraph.

Oh and of course Joey Gibson.
If there's really no one on there who's an improvement, I'll probably write in Nikkita Oliver.

But gently caress the Democratic party in this state.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I got my packet yesterday but haven’t looked at it yet. What is Goodspaceguy running for this time?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tk posted:

I got my packet yesterday but haven’t looked at it yet. What is Goodspaceguy running for this time?

Senate iirc

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pander posted:

Goodspaceguy?

Edit: Already mentioned, I see.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There's a dude here named "Biome" who runs for random positions at the county level at every opportunity. With that name you'd expect him to be full-on hippy, plastic ban, no GMO, etc, right?

nope! :godwin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pander posted:

It's *sigh* Cantwell

Is she just a blue seatwarmer rather than a real good senator? I never really hear about her

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Is she just a blue seatwarmer rather than a real good senator? I never really hear about her

She and Patty Murray are basically blue noise generators. The good senators are one state south.

I'm in the 3rd CD so I'm praying for a miracle that Dave McDevitt beats Jaime Herrera Beutler. Pretty loving unlikley, but he's a better candidate than the last two cycles produced, with an actual progressive platform (single payer, >$15 min wage, free college, etc.) so it'd be great if he could ride a wave.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pander posted:

She and Patty Murray are basically blue noise generators. The good senators are one state south.

Well, a blue seatwarmer who actually votes D consistently is hardly the worst we can do for a senator at least

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, a blue seatwarmer who actually votes D consistently is hardly the worst we can do for a senator at least
Better than Feinstein, but I'm expecting more from our senators, dammit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cantwell is the Boeing pocket senator and my internal monologue puts her in the same category as Schumer and Pelosi. We need younger blood.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Cantwell votes against progressive platforms somewhat regularly

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/spekulation/status/1019634962796953601

George
Nov 27, 2004

Yep, that's about right.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RuanGacho posted:

Cantwell is the Boeing pocket senator and my internal monologue puts her in the same category as Schumer and Pelosi. We need younger blood.

I mean thats pretty much a tradition for at least one of the Senator from Washington to also be the Senator from Boeing. *cough* Scoop Jackson *cough*

Young blood just means they will be the Senator from Amazon.

Also as someone who got re-districted into Reichert's district the year before I turned 18 I am happy to now have a chance to flip a seat blue. Also on the Strangers site it was amusing seeing Adam Smith advertising on the page that was endorsing his DSA primary opponent.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 19, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Do we get anything useful for having Murray being in the Senate leadership?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

I feel like calling what the Democrats practice "leadership" is being way too generous.

George
Nov 27, 2004

"A greater share in the Democrats' negligence".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

You get her working with Paul Ryan for "bipartisan policymaking".

Is anyone opposing Cantwell this year, or is her position pretty much a lock?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Freakazoid_ posted:

You get her working with Paul Ryan for "bipartisan policymaking".

Have you been following politics at all for the last six years? Bipartisan policymaking is the dirty word it always should have been at this point. Joe Lieberman penned an op-ed the other day and was laughed into hell.

Also Paul Ryan isn’t a senator.

No on credible is opposing Cantwell. Too bad.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Freakazoid_ posted:

Vote Good Space Guy.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Is it finally time to?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jack2142 posted:

Vote Good Space Guy.

He opposes the state's new minimum wage tho.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao I just got an email from Rep. Derek Kilmer with the subject line "Imagine if you couldn't use Facebook." I mean, I kind of wish I didn't have to use it, Derek. He's generally a pretty good solid Dem despite being bland as hell but that was a little :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
if you are desperate enough to protest cantwell’s milquetoast center-left positions to vote for a loving right-wing libertarian named goodspaceguy then knock yourself out, I guess