Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Affi posted:

Trying to find a good documentary, anyone have a recommendation for Netflix?

Wormwood was loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Affi posted:

Get Me Roger Stone, Planet Earth/Planet Earth II, Blue Planet

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There are a lot of nova documentaries on netflix. I really wish they would consolidate them into one big nova show page.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dark Tourist is really entertaining. It's by the guy who did Tickled and he pretty much just goes around and visits macabre settings and quips over everything. I can't help but feel that he seems like a bit of a poor man's Louis Theroux though.

Also, where the gently caress can I watch Ghost Stories, dude who posted about it? Really want to watch that today and I can't even find it as a paid rental.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's on the HBO catalogue and I finally checked it out last night. I thought It was incredibly good, more of a coming of age story than a straight up horror movie. Bill Skarsgård was great, incredibly threatening performance backed up with some great creepy visuals. It was definitely one of the better horror movies I've seen in a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Wolf Pack on Netflix is a really great documentary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alterian posted:

There are a lot of nova documentaries on netflix. I really wish they would consolidate them into one big nova show page.

They should group all the nova/BBC Earth/PBS stuff together into one big playlist called "stuff I fall asleep to"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

It's on the HBO catalogue and I finally checked it out last night. I thought It was incredibly good, more of a coming of age story than a straight up horror movie. Bill Skarsgård was great, incredibly threatening performance backed up with some great creepy visuals. It was definitely one of the better horror movies I've seen in a while.

Is this outside of the US? Can't find it on there.

Edit: I thought you "it" as in responding to my question :doh: nevermind

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 21, 2018

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

They should group all the nova/BBC Earth/PBS stuff together into one big playlist called "stuff I fall asleep to"

Yes this.
When I cant find anything of that sort on Netflix or Prime I usually just go to YouTube and put on a Bettany Hughes-hosted documentary and fall asleep stoned

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Wolf Pack on Netflix is a really great documentary.

This slipped under my radar and I'm watching it now. It's already some :stare: stuff

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

precision posted:

Its true. I like taking a nap/ laying on the couch not doing anything after lunch for about an hour and they are perfect. I'm pregnant, not lazy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Affi posted:

I just watched The Last Laugh and it was pretty decent. The holocaust and humor around it with a bunch of Jewish comedians and holocaust survivors.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Affi posted:

Wild Wild Country it you haven’t yet.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What Takashi Miike movie to watch on Prime? There's a lot!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is Zebraman 2 on there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

married but discreet posted:

This inspired me to look up Miike on Netflix, which led me to discover that Sion Sono's Tag is on Netflix, and everyone needs to watch that right the gently caress now. It's one of his best and that's saying a lot.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

married but discreet posted:

There’s one called Dead Or Alive that’s very Miike or 13 Assassins on Netflix is one of my all time favorites. I think Yakuza Apocalypse might still be on one or the other.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Dark Tourist on Netflix is really good. It's by David Farrier, the guy from Tickled, the documentary about the dark underground world of male competitive endurance tickling.

Dark Tourist follows David as he goes to tourist destinations that are famous for death, like going on a guided tour lead by Pablo Escobar's lead assassin as he takes people to where he murdered his victims, and even demonstrates how it went down. Or follow David as he meets with a religious group of people in Cambodia who believe that people are merely resting when they die, and will periodically pull their corpses out of their tomb to visit with them, put them in new clothes, and take selfies with their dear grandmother who died 12 years ago.

David's New Zealand cheekiness is what really sells the show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Izo and Gozu are my two favorite Miike movies. They're bizarre as hell and seeing them when I was like 15 hosed me up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dead or Alive is certainly something!

Gozu is next

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Just finished Under the Skin and I'm not sure if there's anything obvious to the ending that I'm missing:

As the biker is menacingly tracking her down, the woman delves deep into a forest, presumably for solitude and protection. She has been becoming more and more human, but tragically she can never truly experience the whole physicality of being human - eating and enjoying sex in particular - because her human anatomy doesn't extend past her dermis. In the woods she runs into a sex pest who tries to rape her but ruptures her skin in the process and dashes off. As she sheds her skin, the expressions on her human skin face and alien face show that she's shed all the rest of her humanity with it. Then the perv lights her on fire and she dies, and we finally understand that the biker's motive was to protect her, not to eliminate her.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's been on Amazon for a while now, but The Rover popped up on Netflix and you should check it out if you haven't already. A low-key post-apocalyptic western with Robert Pattinson and Guy Pearce. It's the kind of movie where the characters wear ratty sneakers and t-shirts as opposed to boots and leather jackets.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nihonniboku posted:

Dark Tourist on Netflix is really good. It's by David Farrier, the guy from Tickled, the documentary about the dark underground world of male competitive endurance tickling.

Dark Tourist follows David as he goes to tourist destinations that are famous for death, like going on a guided tour lead by Pablo Escobar's lead assassin as he takes people to where he murdered his victims, and even demonstrates how it went down. Or follow David as he meets with a religious group of people in Cambodia who believe that people are merely resting when they die, and will periodically pull their corpses out of their tomb to visit with them, put them in new clothes, and take selfies with their dear grandmother who died 12 years ago.

David's New Zealand cheekiness is what really sells the show.

I kinda like it,I skipped straight to England, you can tell he made poo poo awkward and really pissed off some people in the reenactment thing in a battle between the Wermacht and U.S Forces, he kept on messing up and calling the guys nazis when asked politely to call them German and was baffled by the guys playing as the Germans were doing the catering for everybody. It's like going to a Civil War reenactment and asking people playing on the confederate side if they were cool with playing as the south.

He's smarter than this, he has to be, right? It's like he's looking for trouble.

I'm still going to watch it though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Huh Orange is the New Black new season hits Friday

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I kinda like it,I skipped straight to England, you can tell he made poo poo awkward and really pissed off some people in the reenactment thing in a battle between the Wermacht and U.S Forces, he kept on messing up and calling the guys nazis when asked politely to call them German and was baffled by the guys playing as the Germans were doing the catering for everybody. It's like going to a Civil War reenactment and asking people playing on the confederate side if they were cool with playing as the south.

He's smarter than this, he has to be, right?

I mean, he raised a really good point. The fact that a journalist and documentarian was asking mildly tough questions on these reenactors should be kind of expected. They were reenacting a World War 2 battle, using actual guns from the era, there were guys walking around in completely accurate SS nazi uniforms, and he was being asked to not say the word nazi? For a reenactment that was in so many ways going for authenticity, pretending that the nazis weren't involved is kind of ludicrous.

quote:

It's like he's looking for trouble.

Well, yeah. He tried sneaking into restricted areas in a couple of episodes, and was arrested a couple of times while filming the show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Filthy Hans posted:

Just finished Under the Skin and I'm not sure if there's anything obvious to the ending that I'm missing:

As the biker is menacingly tracking her down, the woman delves deep into a forest, presumably for solitude and protection. She has been becoming more and more human, but tragically she can never truly experience the whole physicality of being human - eating and enjoying sex in particular - because her human anatomy doesn't extend past her dermis. In the woods she runs into a sex pest who tries to rape her but ruptures her skin in the process and dashes off. As she sheds her skin, the expressions on her human skin face and alien face show that she's shed all the rest of her humanity with it. Then the perv lights her on fire and she dies, and we finally understand that the biker's motive was to protect her, not to eliminate her.
I never got any kind of protector vibe from the bikers. She goes off script when she lets the deformed fellow go and the bikers probably want to find her fast before she causes even more trouble and screws up whatever their operation is.

I don’t think it’s her that sheds their humanity at the end either. At the beginning of the movie she’s very outgoing and friendly when she’s “hunting” but that’s just a skin deep illusion over a completely dispassionate, ruthless machine. Interestingly as she rejects that role and discovers that maybe these creature’s lives are worth something she seems to shed all of her fake charisma. The logger at the end responds in the basest way possible to something he doesn’t understand - he just destroys it.

I think the main success of the movie is that it largely wordlessly makes you feel some sorrow for the demise of this creature that at the beginning of the movie was an utterly heartless killing machine.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Belko Experiment on the HBO streaming catalogue is pretty fun. Don't go in expecting a good movie, it's tasteless and schlocky.

This movie is pure B movie battle royale trash, and if that's what you go in expecting, you'll have a blast. If you're as big a sucker for the battle royale/most dangerous game type setups as I am, you should definitely check it out since it's a very pure battle royale movie unlike a series like hunger games, which focuses less and less on the battle royale gimmick as time goes on.

I'd put it above The Condemned if I was ranking BR movies, but not by a whole lot.

Fair warning, it was written by James Gunn, so if that's an issue for you then steer clear.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Affi posted:

Finders Keepers. Two dudes fighting for custody/ownership of a severed human leg.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Affi posted:

Paris Is Burning, Little Dieter Needs to Fly (or any of Herzog's docs, although I didn't really care for Lo and Behold), Man On Wire, Pumping Iron, The Thin Blue Line (or anything else by Errol Morris). I have no idea what you like, but these are some of my favorites.

I recently added Finding Vivian Maier and Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr to my list too, so I'll probably get around to actually seeing them sometime next year.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Speaking of Herzog, "The Happy People: A Year on the Taiga" is my personal favorite documentary.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love Happy People. So calming.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Affi posted:

Lo and Behold is on Netflix, it's a Werner Herzog musing about the internet age and its effect on humanity. I liked it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
An Education just got put on Netflix. 2009 coming of age movie set in the UK in the early 60's where Carey Mulligan knocks one out of the park and also Peter Sarsgaard also does a very good job. It was incredibly well reviewed, look up some of those because they say it better than I could.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

An Education just got put on Netflix. 2009 coming of age movie set in the UK in the early 60's where Carey Mulligan knocks one out of the park and also Peter Sarsgaard also does a very good job. It was incredibly well reviewed, look up some of those because they say it better than I could.

It was also written by Nick Hornby ( About a Boy and High Fidelity )

It's really good, it's funny to me that his screenplays are better than his novels, even when he's writing a screenplay for his own novel

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

Enemy and Under the Skin are on Netflix now, and were two of the best movies of their respective years.

Okay, I think I'd like a version of Enemy with a little less random surrealness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

It was also written by Nick Hornby ( About a Boy and High Fidelity )

It's really good, it's funny to me that his screenplays are better than his novels, even when he's writing a screenplay for his own novel

That's definitely true.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught two "culty" movies about mysterious religious practices last night.

III The Ritual (Netflix) is a Russian folklore kinda thing about a girl who uses a druidic rite to go into her sick sister's psyche to try and cure her disease. This felt like an old wives tale to me in terms of structure, which is not a criticism by the way. The film reminded me a lot of something like The Cell or Silent Hill mixed with, like... The VVitch or A Dark Song a bit. Unfortunately, it never goes full crazypants like the Cell or Silent Hill. It's spooky, but it takes a long time to get to the spook-em-ups. This was a solid 3/5 star yarn. I would watch more from this crew, but I could use a little more meat on the bones.

The Endless (Amazon Paid Rental) is the latest from the team that brought us hipster Lovecrafty tales Resolution and Spring. The Endless is about two brothers who escape a UFO death cult and decide to revisit ten years later when they find out the cult is still alive. I reeeaallly enjoyed this film. It has a few creepy-rear end set pieces, some genuine emotion, some good comedy, and a really unnerving premise that gets uncovered. In a world where everyone thinks cosmic horror means tentacle demons, The Endless goes a different direction, more Color Out of Space than Call of Cthulhu. I think it's creative and clever and just a real pleasure to watch. 4/5 stars although it's a strong-rear end 4 for me. I think the only thing that would have improved it was a little more cohesion and "soul" connecting the set pieces. Other than that, The Endless is probably the best HPL-inspired film in a very long time for me.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 23, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

I like watching Nova :(

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The Endless is streaming now? gently caress yeah, been waiting for this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The Endless is streaming now? gently caress yeah, been waiting for this one!

Be aware though that it's still a paid rental, so maybe not the best rec for the streaming thread.