Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

Of course the thirsty Gardevoir was a moderator. :allears: It's great seeing how many people are apparently shocked and/or disturbed by this. (Maybe I'm just jaded to the ways of the Internet.)

I mean, granted, I'm playing up my shock for the sake of humor on the internet comedy forum, but it's still really, really gross, and it was definitely a curve ball compared to the situation I'd initially assumed of the Gardevoir just being some creep's pretend waifu who was not actually played by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yapping Eevee posted:

Of course the thirsty Gardevoir was a moderator. :allears: It's great seeing how many people are apparently shocked and/or disturbed by this. (Maybe I'm just jaded to the ways of the Internet.)

Cumulative damage. Nothing here is particularly shocking or disturbing in a vacuum (except the suicide thing, maybe), but added all together, at some point the brain's protective walls just crumble under the pressure of this tidal wave of sewage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Materant posted:

I wish I could unlearn this.

Nope, you're stuck in an early gen pokemon where you can't unlearn HMs... Horrible Materials.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Black Robe posted:

Cumulative damage. Nothing here is particularly shocking or disturbing in a vacuum (except the suicide thing, maybe), but added all together, at some point the brain's protective walls just crumble under the pressure of this tidal wave of sewage.
Okay, I'll give you that one. Reborn as a whole is certainly a uniquely awful experience, and the suicide in particular has been discussed at length as a particular standout moment in this garbage fire of a game.

EclecticTastes posted:

it's still really, really gross, and it was definitely a curve ball compared to the situation I'd initially assumed of the Gardevoir just being some creep's pretend waifu who was not actually played by anyone.
...You say that like people roleplaying as pokemon (digimon, ponies, furries, all sorts of fictional creatures) is an uncommon occurrence on the internet. :v: I'm honestly more surprised that apparently they were the one person playing a pokemon amongst all the human characters in the Reborn community.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yapping Eevee posted:

:aatrek:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yapping Eevee posted:

...You say that like people roleplaying as pokemon (digimon, ponies, furries, all sorts of fictional creatures) is an uncommon occurrence on the internet. :v: I'm honestly more surprised that apparently they were the one person playing a pokemon amongst all the human characters in the Reborn community.

True, but context is a thing, ya know? If I was for some reason reading a pokephilia fanfic, then fair enough. But outside that specific community, in a game theoretically meant to appeal to the whole fandom (except the filthy casuals who don't want to spend hours planning for a single fight, of course) and not just the perverts, it doesn't work.

Then again, I suppose it was remiss to think Reborn would miss out a single opportunity to be creepy somehow. I would say I want to see how this particular storyline ends, but I've learned that I never want to know how any storylines in this game end because it's always worse than I can imagine.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I hate every single character in this whenever they talk.
Ugh.
Allthough I suppose Shelly's alright for that same reason, also murder Yanmega.

Also why doesnt the game even give you a chance to pokemonbattle the rear end in a top hat electivire doctor?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DeafNote posted:

Also why doesnt the game even give you a chance to pokemonbattle the rear end in a top hat electivire doctor?

Because that would resolve a subplot.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because that would resolve a subplot.

...this concerns me more than almost anything. For some reason, I have a desire to see this subplot resolved. I'm getting invested in this game. Somebody help me. :stonklol:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
More importantly, it'd let the player character defeat an OC NPC in a way that was actually injurious to their plans, and we can't have that, can we?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MightyPretenders posted:

...Seriously? You think that deserves an allbuttons? A five second pause is three seconds too long to act surprised about it.

Amethyst doesn't come off well here, certainly. Her self-insert could have solved the plot herself, what with the direct communication line to her the PC stumbles across. But that would involve her doing something noteworthy past the first hour of the game, and she can't let herself be a main character or anything.

The gang's retreat doesn't make any sense, of course. It would have been simpler to just wait for the police to arrive and then immediately expose the crazy doctor's crimes to them. And if the police decide to ignore that and be bad guys, then they can be dealt with the same way as other bad guys.

Yeah this struck me as weird. Why... are we running from the cops? We're in a creepy orphanage where the supposed doctor tortures children when they're naughty. The cops could make a 30 second sweep of the place, find the torture chamber and the jail cells and traumatized children and the orderlies who would probably be willing to sing like birds to avoid sharing the fate of their sicko boss. There is no way the protags would be indicted at all.

But then that would require the writers to be capable of writing their characters to act like some semblance of real human beings, and we have already seen that they are not capable of that even a little.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This almost looks sad. Don't make me feel bad for the thirsty cabbage!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leraika posted:

More importantly, it'd let the player character defeat an OC NPC in a way that was actually injurious to their plans, and we can't have that, can we?

Yeah, like, aside from like the PULSE Tangrowth fight, have we actually accomplished anything in the plot? I'm sure there's probably something but a lot of it just sorta melts together in a big ol' pile of Awful. It feels like most of the plot is just endless dialogue and watching NPCs do things, which are usually varying kinds of awful because it's childishly edgy "dark" or whatever.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What plot? :confused:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't forget that we've beaten several gyms and every single one has done or said something to undercut our victory and make us feel bad.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tenebrais posted:

I somehow have more sympathy for the rejected fairy than the kids who are being tortured. Okay she's dumb to air it on TV, and I definitely don't want her trainer to get with her. It's just purely the thing where she loves someone and they don't love her back which I can sympathise with.

This weird plot detail could have been better if they weren't dead set on making the protagonist silent. Instead you could meet Gardevoir where she'd privately ask you if she should tell her trainer about her feelings and you'd get the yes, no or "I'll talk to him" dialogue options. Then if she does it'd make the relationship between her and her trainer weird and he'd offer for you to be her trainer else he's putting her in a box. She can then be sad until you buy her the ice cream and there'd be bonus dialogue if you beat his gym using her.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 22, 2018

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Black Robe posted:

What plot? :confused:

I have truly given up on anything resembling a plot many updates ago, and I’m just here to see how bad poo poo can get. Nothing thus far has been more shocking than the game’s treatment of suicide.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Don't worry. The game can't dig much deeper in terms of awfulness, surely. It'll come out the other side of the world before too long.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Montegoraon posted:

Don't worry. The game can't dig much deeper in terms of awfulness, surely. It'll come out the other side of the world before too long.

This game has already come in one hole and out the other a long while back. Were at the point where it festers in the sewers after flushing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My mind is caught up on 'jonesing for cigs so she can just use one to cigarette burn the creepy doctor' because it's kind of funny and also I can't help but read those lines in a Dominique from If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device.

'I need my sandpaper cigarettes! Warblerabblerabblerow!'

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Yapping Eevee posted:

I don't think that someone playing as a Pokemon is why everyone is upset. What's upsetting is that the player is clearly trying to make sexual advances on someone else in the group, and the Gardevior player is a moderator, meaning that they have a position of power over the person they are coming on to. This brings up some worrying consent issues, making it even worse than just being someone who is at the same level of power as them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

My mind is caught up on 'jonesing for cigs so she can just use one to cigarette burn the creepy doctor' because it's kind of funny and also I can't help but read those lines in a Dominique from If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device.

'I need my sandpaper cigarettes! Warblerabblerabblerow!'

Yeah for me this is the stupidest loving thing that happened in that update, cause of all the "we can't do that" setup. I mean gently caress, we're already breaking into a storage to get the Pokemon so we can't grab a pack of cigs on our way out? I'd figure this would be cause the girl (whose name escapes me - all these OC are so unique they just roll into one entity) is so loving disturbed if she sees fire, she's gonna burn this whole place to the ground in an instant or whatnot. But to have the cigs recieve so much attention only for that completely unecessary edgy scene is baffling for me. I can let stupid edginess slide, but this is plain bad writing and I am not okay with it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In a better written game, someone putting their cigarette out on their torturer would be a cathartic 'gently caress you', but given how unnecessarily edgy the whole plotline is, how little it holds up on a cursory examination, and none of the characters are memorable, it just looks like a little kid trying to be cool.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tenebrais posted:

Gardevoir, despite their appearance, have nothing to do with either humans or cabbage. They're in the Amorphous egg group, so they're much more biologically similar to bells, candles, piles of sewage, or a ghost possessing a washing machine.

EDIT:

Robindaybird posted:

In a better written game, someone putting their cigarette out on their torturer would be a cathartic 'gently caress you', but given how unnecessarily edgy the whole plotline is, how little it holds up on a cursory examination, and none of the characters are memorable, it just looks like a little kid trying to be cool.

I think it's supposed to be physical comedy, given the ridiculously long buildup.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Onmi posted:

Yes, the Gardevoir was even a moderator.
:stonklol: Oh god how does Reborn keep topping itself in horrifying new ways?

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean, granted, I'm playing up my shock for the sake of humor on the internet comedy forum, but it's still really, really gross, and it was definitely a curve ball compared to the situation I'd initially assumed of the Gardevoir just being some creep's pretend waifu who was not actually played by anyone.
This, right here. Before this new info I had assumed the whole plot was just a "me and my pretend waifu, Gardevoir" thing, which is still weird but in a "that dude has weird fantasies" kind of way.

The fact that there's someone portraying the Gardevoir (and a Moderator at that) is what pushes it into really uncomfortable reality. It's no longer just a single person with the equivalent of an anime body pillow, there's two people involved, and one of them has the power to suppress discussion that they don't like.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Saladin Rising posted:

This, right here. Before this new info I had assumed the whole plot was just a "me and my pretend waifu, Gardevoir" thing, which is still weird but in a "that dude has weird fantasies" kind of way.

The fact that there's someone portraying the Gardevoir (and a Moderator at that) is what pushes it into really uncomfortable reality. It's no longer just a single person with the equivalent of an anime body pillow, there's two people involved, and one of them has the power to suppress discussion that they don't like.

What weirds me out more about this is that they're roleplaying the opposite of the actual power dynamic. Even disregarding the interspecies/bestiality aspect (wow what a thing to have to say, what is this thread doing to me), a trainer/pokemon relationship has gross power dynamics and isn't all that different from suggesting a slave can consent to a relationship with their overseer, owner, what have you (or to be less provocative, employees with their bosses and so on, but the amount of power a human could conceivably wield using pokeballs and the suchlike goes beyond that). This is creepy on several different levels simultaneously and I think I can't think of anything more to say than :psyduck:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh man, that reminds me. There was a different RP forum called pokegirls, ehich was just a bunch of creepy nerds fantasizing about literally owning and having sex with waifus, ranging from actual pokémon to various furry poo poo to basically humans.

There's a lot of broken people on the internet mang.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Please let's not bring up other, even worse elements of the Pokemon fandom, I'd rather not see Pokemon re-banned from the LP subforum.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Please let's not bring up other, even worse elements of the Pokemon fandom, I'd rather not see Pokemon re-banned from the LP subforum.

On one hand, this.

On the other hand, we would be spared from atrocities such as this one so there's at least a silver lining.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EclecticTastes posted:

If Pokemon LPs are banned because people who aren't me can't stop posting about garbage, does that still count as fulfilling the toxx?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh neat, I'd get my free time back if Pokemon gets banned. It's a win-win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, no, I'm not slacking on my Stadium LP, Pokemon got banned.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EclecticTastes posted:

The worst elements of Pokemon fandom are what lead to the creation of this monstrosity.

Yeah I am trying REALLY hard here not to repost ivemadeseveralmistakes.jpg again

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I mean if they wanted to make a dark edgy game about the power dynamics of this kind of thing, how about the pokemon which are capable of talking start to ask for citizenship and rights.

Or maybe they already have this?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

David Cage's Pokemon: Our Best Friends

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Reborn city is the perfect place for a David Cage game

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 22, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If Pokemon LPs are banned because people who aren't me can't stop posting about garbage, does that still count as fulfilling the toxx?

Wait, did you toxx yourself into finishing this monstrosity?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toxx stalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Azza Bamboo posted:

I mean if they wanted to make a dark edgy game about the power dynamics of this kind of thing, how about the pokemon which are capable of talking start to ask for citizenship and rights.

Or maybe they already have this?

There is one game that has almost this exact plotline, only it's an official game. It's about as dark and edgy as pokémon gets to be, and it's written by the Pokémon Team instead of some extremely internet people, but it's been done.