Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Burt Sexual posted:

You’re making poo poo up and hypotheticals that weren’t even brought up by the op. Let it go. And don’t be an rear end.

The thread where it's illegal to air out the highly controversial idea that choice of nicknames could matter, and that they're not all equal, even if for different reasons than what the teacher stated.

And yeah if that's not allowed then cool sorry - I was actually, legit trying to express that take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

whoops lol. okay pretend that i was referring to a self aware VR robot trying to stop the guy from creeping on teenagers

LOL. I looked up VRChat, it seems like some Second Life trash, but this was a suggested image:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

BF [23M] is mad because I [22M] bought a dildo. He thinks it's a threat to our sex life. Should I give in and throw it away? 

Only if by it you mean your jackass boyfriend

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh hey another one:
My Husband[26 M] has recently started kissing, playing with, and groping another girl... in Virtual Reality. I [24 F] can't tell if he's cheating or not.

:stare:

Goddamn girl you got a high bar

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LadyPictureShow posted:

LOL. I looked up VRChat, it seems like some Second Life trash, but this was a suggested image:

It's also where Ugandan Knuckles was (is? no idea) a thing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

BF [23M] is mad because I [22M] bought a dildo. He thinks it's a threat to our sex life. Should I give in and throw it away?

I bought it two weeks ago and have been loving it. We frankly don't have sex often because he works long hours and that's usually when I masturbate and use it. Yesterday he rejected me for sex, I was okay with because he just came from work and was doing his own thing. I went to the bedroom and was doing what I have been doing for the past two weeks now, using my dildo. I finished and left on the bed and went to take a shower. When I came back he was mad, like I cheated on him somehow.

He was all like, how could you, you're replacing me with a toy and ruining your sex drive. Then he was basically interrogating me about how much I use it and that I'll get "addicted" to it because somehow won't be able to satisfy me anymore and it will completely destroy or sex life.

I know I have been initiating sex less because he's working till really late but he was blaming me for everything and then he said he doesn't want me to use it, especially if I love him. I got mad at that, we got into a bigger argument and this morning we didn't talk. He's being unreasonable and I don't know what to do now. Obviously he means more to me than the dildo, so should I throw it away or try and convince him otherwise?

So he works 11a to 11p and expects me to wait till he's back from work to have sex but I sleep because I work early in the morning. We have sex during the weekends though.

Tl;dr Boyfriend of one year is mad that bought a dildo. He thinks I'll get addicted to it and won't be satisfied by him anymore and that it will end up ruining our sex life.

Top boyfriend should just bang his bf if he's just sitting around with a clean rear end in a top hat waiting to get hosed after he gets home from work. Bottoms do all the prep anyway, and if you've got energy to have a big shouting match about a dildo you've got energy to gently caress. Especially at 23, Jesus.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The thread where it's illegal to air out the highly controversial idea that choice of nicknames could matter, and that they're not all equal, even if for different reasons than what the teacher stated.

And yeah if that's not allowed then cool sorry - I was actually, legit trying to express that take

Uh, what kindergartener equates Daffy with stupid? I'm surprised they even know who Daffy Duck is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

[runs into thread excitedly]

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's weird how you can't chime in on this story without first lecturing me to read the post, then calling me always wrong, like is it really that hard to limit yourself to the content of a reddit post, or are you personally offended that I have different opinions than you

The guy who reads the reddit relationships threads incensed that everyone isn't agreeing with him lmao gently caress off

don't sign your posts

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Uh, what kindergartener equates Daffy with stupid? I'm surprised they even know who Daffy Duck is.

I thought daffy just mean silly.

That teacher better crack down when rabbit season starts though...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's weird how you can't chime in on this story without first lecturing me to read the post, then calling me always wrong, like is it really that hard to limit yourself to the content of a reddit post, or are you personally offended that I have different opinions than you

The guy who reads the reddit relationships threads incensed that everyone isn't agreeing with him lmao gently caress off

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hi Quarkjets, let me just take a moment and explain that I find you one of the most pedantic and tedious posters on the site, and when you came in here throwing your physics PHD around w/r/t breastfeeding it all made sense, thank you for explaining the origins of your idiocy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(PS: I'm not a guy. :shrug:)

vvv Definitely are. Daffy: silly; mildly eccentric.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think people are confusing "daffy" with "daft."

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I think people are confusing "daffy" with "daft."

The teacher in the OP claimed Daffy was an insult to people with mental issues.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The teacher in the OP claimed Daffy was an insult to people with mental issues.

Which just goes to show how daft that teacher truly is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LadyPictureShow posted:

Saw that too late, but that weird thumping you hear when I say MY PIZZA? That was me thumping my chest.

I did the needful. It's probably a letdown.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1pbCYQ4w30P

:five:

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

whoops lol. okay pretend that i was referring to a self aware VR robot trying to stop the guy from creeping on teenagers

VR chat is real people, like second life, no robots to take the bullet :(

If you really want to be sad, look up Kanna from Dragon Maid, as I'm sure that's the character he was talking to. It's not even a "She's really 1000 year old demon so it's not pedo!" lovely cop out, it's just straight up a child character

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My auto-generated name for Xbox Live Gold is "Daffy Gibbon". This is bullshit Microsoft and I'm not going to take your disgusting ableism anymore, see you in court!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Am I (31M), or have I been, too restricting or overreacting to the habits and the way my GF (38F) and her daughter (17F) treat me?

quote:

TL;DR: Moved in with GF after 1 1/2 years of dating, for the last 2 years her and her daughter's habits (dirty restroom, dirty toilet, shower hair, et.c) and the way I'm treated like a child instead of the daughter make me want to move away from both of them. Am I overreacting?

This is going to be looong, but I’ll start off by thanking a lot of you for giving me the courage to finally post my issues / concerns.

My GF and I began dating over 3 ½ years ago, we lived separately, and I didn’t meet her daughter, nor did I hang out at their apartment until 1 year into the relationship. When I did I noticed a few things: the daughter was messy, however I understood, she was 14 at the time and whenever my GF would ask her to help around the apartment (clean her cat’s litter box, take out the trash, etc.) she would comply. I also noticed her daughter would take over an hour in the shower (I’m mentioning this as it will come up later), however I couldn’t say anything because 1) I didn’t live there 2) I wasn’t paying the bills there 3) She wasn’t my child.

Fast forward to another 6 months and now we’re planning on moving in together, which I had no problem with, I was madly in love with my GF and it made sense (we were after all taking trips together on a regular basis and since we worked together we would be saving time and money on the commute).

We finally found a great apartment and as soon as we signed the lease we went out to dinner and I politely brought up a few things:

1. Now that we are living in an apartment that we must pay the utilities on, we all had to be mindful of how we use the water and electricity
2. The chores would be split between all 3 of us as we were moving into an apartment that was 3 times the size of our previous ones, we both lived in studios, and now there would be 2 cats to take care of, theirs and mine

The conversation went smoothly with the daughter only commenting, “Why can’t we live in an apartment where we don’t have to pay for water”, which I thought was a joke as we all sort of laughed it off.

Fast forward now to the first week of us moving in, right off the bat the daughter took a shower that lasted well over an hour, I reminded her that if she could not take so long due to what I had mentioned before. She simply replied with, “Oh, sorry”. It’s either long showers or she’ll wake up, turn on the sink faucet, leave it running, walk away to go to her room and return a few minutes without using the water (I have no idea why she does this). Also, on that same week, while it was bright and sunny outside she had all the lights on in her room, with the blinds open, from early in the A.M. all the way up until the evening, I just assumed she was working on a summer project or summer school HW, I was wrong, she had spent all day on her laptop, again no biggie but I did remind her that if she doesn’t need the light just turn it off, again, “Oh, sorry”. She’ll either do this or leave her T.V. on all night while she’s sleeping, I noticed this occurring when I would wake up to go to the restroom in the early mornings.

The problem is these 2 things are still a reoccurring issue even after 2 years of living together. Why are these problems? I’m the one that takes care of 90% of the finances, our water bill is constantly over $130 and our electricity bill is constantly over $70. When we go on our mini-trips where we are away for 5 days at a time the bills dip to $80 and $25. There hasn’t been a month where I haven’t had to talk to both about this and both simply say “Oh, sorry”, but nothing changes.

Do I let this go? Am I overreacting?

Other things that continue to occur:

1. My cat has a urinary tract problem, since my GF’s daughter is home 2 hours before us (her school is a 10-minute walk from our apartment) we asked her if she could clean the litter and fill the cat bowls with fresh water every day for both our cats (my vet advised that a clean litter box and fresh water is crucial, so my cat wouldn’t get sick). My GF and I went on a weekend getaway only to arrive back home to my cat being sick and the litter box was filthy and neither cat had water, this cost me well over $1,000 in vet fees. I’ve told my GF that I would rather be the one in charge of this, but she insists that her daughter take care of it, which she forgets to do at least twice a week
2. My daily routine consists of waking up, showering & preparing not only breakfast but lunch as well for both my GF and I, so I organize everything in the fridge and cabinets so it’s easy for me to find certain things. Every single morning that I wake up the daughter has moved literally everything somewhere else, why? I have no clue. I’ve never said anything about this, I just take the time to reorganize everything as it was before e.g. containers that were in the kitchen cabinets are now under the sink, smashed and bent

Now onto how my GF treats me.

Before moving in together I had a group of close friends (10+ years of friendship) that I would constantly hang out with. After we moved in together I stopped hanging out with them all together, why? Any single time that I would go somewhere and come back home my GF would say something along the lines of the following, “Google maps says the store you went to is 15 minutes away, you took 45 minutes, where were you the other 15 minutes?” This has happened so many times that I just stopped going anywhere, even out with my friends. However, she’ll go out at least once a month with her friends, take my car, and not return until 4 in the morning – have I ever questioned her? Nope. Not once. Because I trust her.

There have been other times also where she’ll tell me, “Don’t place your feet on my lap please, it’s hot” which is understandable, however not 1 minute later her daughter places BOTH feet on her lap and she doesn’t say anything. Similar things like this occur on a weekly basis, “Don’t lay down after eating”, “Don’t place that there”, “Don’t step in the tent with your dirty boots”, only to have her daughter do the exact same thing she told me not to do and she has no reactions to it.

Other things that occur to which I have no clue how to react to:

1. Her daughter does absolutely nothing as a 17-year-old. Yes, she has her chores, clean the litter box and take out the trash, which takes about 5 minutes to do. I’m referring to productive activities, her day consists of sitting in her room on her laptop or to be on her phone, Monday through Sunday. She never goes out with friends, doesn’t partake in sports, doesn’t have any hobbies, nothing. We do sit down and ask her how she’s feeling if she needs anything from us or I try to include her in my hobbies or try to have her go on our hikes, but she always refuses. Is this normal for a 17-year-old? I’m already can’t save any money due to having to take care of every bill around the house, what I’m afraid of is the daughter continuing to live with us after she turns 18, essentially having an adult child live with us.
2. Their restroom is FILTHY. It appears that someone has had constant diarrhea in the toilet for weeks, they never bother to clean it, compared to mine which I clean once a week it's absolutely disgusting, and when I bring it up they get offended and don't bother to clean it up.
3. Hair in the shower: every time the daughter finishes showering she places her hairs all along the shower wall, lines them up and leaves them there, the last time I counted 32 hairs on the shower wall. At this point I don't bother to bring anything up as I've seen absolutely no improvement or change.

Again, am I overreacting? There are a multitude of other examples I could have typed out, but it would just get repetitive. However, I do have to make more posts in Personal Finance, as my GF admitted to me that she’s in heavy debt ($10,000+), and Dead Bedroom, every time we try to have a moment or we’re alone her daughter interrupts that moment with a cough, sneeze, hiccup or stupid question or she bursts into our room.

*sigh* I’m so glad to finally get this off my chest, at this point I just want to leave and never look back, but it's not in me to do that, I can't "hurt" people. I'm so weak...
How do you write an essay like this and not realize you need to leave?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
32 hairs!!!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Stevie Lee posted:

32 hairs!!!!

That's eight less than four tens, and that's terrible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

quote:

Before moving in together I had a group of close friends (10+ years of friendship) that I would constantly hang out with. After we moved in together I stopped hanging out with them all together, why? Any single time that I would go somewhere and come back home my GF would say something along the lines of the following, “Google maps says the store you went to is 15 minutes away, you took 45 minutes, where were you the other 15 minutes?” This has happened so many times that I just stopped going anywhere, even out with my friends.

why the hell's he spending so much time worrying about weirdo daughter and why isn't he focusing more on this hot nonsense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
*smashes through thread door far too late*

More like roly poly

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

why the hell's he spending so much time worrying about weirdo daughter and why isn't he focusing more on this hot nonsense

He probably knows that's the main issue and so is deflecting it on these other problems?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

That sums up 90% of the replies to that, and of course he's focusing on replying to the other 10%.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I (M34) feel tempted to cheat on my fiancee (F44) all the time.

quote:

I love my fiance but younger than me women hit on me all the time including my boss (F3?)... this job. Coworkers are sadly normal.

TL;DR I feel like I will eventually crack but I also feel like these attractive women are pyscho women who I don't want long term but I think changing jobs isn't a guarantee to avoid it either.

I almost feel like I should gently caress my boss even though she throws her cat and sounds like a horrible person to be around if around more than 30 minutes at a time because of money and security.

...what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

...what?

Yes he should totally do that.

What isn't even the correct the response but WTF.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Pretty sure it meant "crazy" in the olden days.

Here, I looked it up.

I thought it came from the word "daft", but the handful of dictionaries I've gone to make no mention of it.

Teacher's an rear end in a top hat.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 25, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

...what?

So like, is the cat throwing consensual and its part of their synchronized skate routine or what?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Change the kids name to road runner and teach him to teach the other kids to go Meep Meep all day every day.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barudak posted:

So like, is the cat throwing consensual and its part of their synchronized skate routine or what?

He made a meme that just said
MY BOSS:
I was taking a hot shower

My cat scratched me so I threw it.

MarcusSA posted:

Yes he should totally do that.

What isn't even the correct the response but WTF.

Well you see...

quote:

Her hip broke, she had surgery.

Her silent pain makes me feel unattractive and not sexual wanted.

Even though her eyes show love and she cuddles me I feel something important to me is missing but I feel selfish even mentioning it.

(I can’t tell if this guy is for real or not, all his other posts appear to be making absolutely lovely memes)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blugu64 posted:

Change the kids name to road runner and teach him to teach the other kids to go Meep Meep all day every day.

Meep meep, motherfucker.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Yeah, nicknames like that really hurt Dizzy and Daffy Dean's careers.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

blugu64 posted:

This is the way to go.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

My brother (42M) wants to marry his half-sister (late 30sF). How do our siblings (39M, 34F, 32F, 28M) and myself (24F) talk him down from this? posted:

This is such a confusing mess right now, but I'll try to make it as concise as possible.

My mom was originally married in NY and had 2 boys with her husband. She found out he was cheating and had multiple children with another woman, so she got a divorce and the boys didn't see their father anymore (this being their father's choice). Jump to a few years later and she meets my dad, and has 4 kids with him. So our family consists of 2 older half-siblings, and four full-siblings.

Late 2016/early 2017, a woman (E) reaches out to my mom saying she is the daughter of ex-husband and wanted to meet her and her half-siblings (oldest 2 boys). (Keep in mind that we live in KS, so far away from where the extramarital kids were known to be) Mom was kind of iffy about it and doesn't really talk to her after that. Cut to 2018, and my oldest siblings are interested in meeting their new-found sibling(s).

These details are a bit cloudy, as it was all second-hand knowledge. E had reached out on FB again and oldest sibling (K) responds and agrees to meet her at the end of June ’17. Roughly 2 weeks later, and he has moved in across the state with her with his 2 youngest kids. E also has 2 young kids (6 and 8 mo, I believe). Jump to this past weekend and K says on FB that he's married, to the surprise of everyone. My siblings and I were texting back and forth, trying to figure out who he's married to and why, when our mom tells us that K told her-through a text-that he and E are married/going to be married and going on about the world not understanding them. I already asked on LegalAdvice about the legalities of it (hint: it's a Class 10 felony).

I live about an hour from where K is now, so I went to see him and his kids on Sunday to maybe wrap my head around it all. K didn’t want to talk about it at all, just saying that life is crazy right now. I asked him if he was happy, and he said he was, but I didn’t believe him. He was distracted and standoffish, when he's never been like that around me before. I don't understand what the hell is going on in his head that makes him think this is okay? I love my brother, and I want him and the kids to be happy, but not like this. Is there any way to make his see that he could lose his kids doing this?

tl;dr: Oldest brother met lost half-sister, decided he was in love and getting married all within 4 weeks. It's a felony that could land him jail time. Family is confused and wants his head back on straight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do not mock a powerful wizard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well you see...

(I can’t tell if this guy is for real or not, all his other posts appear to be making absolutely lovely memes)

it doesn’t work, but i feel compelled to make this quote fit into a wesley willis song

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
God I hope this person doesn’t ruin that poor woman’s life

I [30M] just proposed to my [30F] girlfriend of 2 years and am having second thoughts about the marriage.

quote:

u/Throwaway921-45730
For the first year the relationship was amazing. We would hang out as much as possible, loved going out or staying in together. I play around 10 golf tournaments a year and we always looked forward to going together where she would be my caddy. I was in love. We went all across the country to different golf courses and would make mini vacations out of them.

This summer we did the same thing, except my girlfriend had clearly become annoyed with the whole deal, and it's hell getting her to come with. I'm about to stop bringing her and figure something else out.

The golf is just one of many aspects of our life together that used to be a lot of fun but has turned into misery for both sides of the party. I'm no longer happy in this relationship, but I feel trapped.

Here's where I always get hung up. Her family has enough wealth that has been promised to my fiance that would realistically enable us to be very secure financially as long as we keep our jobs untill were 50 or so. The lifestyle that this marriage would provide is something I've dreamed about achieving one day.

TL;DR my fiance and I no longer have fun with each other and the passion is long gone. However if this marriage were to happen our lifestyle could afford me to play golf everyday until I die.

My question to reddit is what I should do? Do we try and rekindle the flames and live happily ever after or do I call it off before it becomes legal?

Golf, even warhams is better than Golf.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Milotic posted:

God I hope this person doesn’t ruin that poor woman’s life

I [30M] just proposed to my [30F] girlfriend of 2 years and am having second thoughts about the marriage.

Golf, even warhams is better than Golf.

Golf is a garbage sport played by garbage people. Exhibit A:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Some good ones this morning, there’s some incel nonsense too but I’m not sure I have the patience for that, it’s so cringey. This is fantastic:

My (23f) cat had an ear infection and my sister (19f) tried using organic oils to fix it. Ended up sending my cat to the hospital.

quote:

u/throwaway32382736463
Sorry for the throwaway

My cat had an ear infection. We took him to the vet and got the medicine he needed. We followed the vets instructions closely. Unfortunately, me and my husband had to go out of town for a few days. We put my sister, who is staying with us, in charge of the cat. We taught her the correct way to give Jaspers her medicine.

When me and my husband were out of town, we got a call from my sister. She said that the cat was acting weirdly and seemingly calling out in pain for no reason. We asked if anything could’ve happened to the cat. After a bit of pressing, it turns out that my sister put some kind of “essential” oil into my cats ear! And she put in a fair amount of it too.

My sister always raves about how great essential oils and healing crystals are for the body. We tolerated it for a while but this is way too far! This is ME and MY HUSBAND’S cat. NOT HERS. IMO, she had NO RIGHT to do this!!!

We told her to take the cat to the vet immediately and we got our first flight home. Luckily, our cat ended up being okay. And when I asked my sister why she did it she played the victim card. Now she refuses to talk to me and is angry with ME. What should I do? I don’t want to kick her out because she has nowhere else to go and little to no money. What advice can you give me?

TLDR; me and husband go out for a weekend and put my sister in charge. My sister puts my cat in dangers with her alternative healing techniques and now acts like the victim and gives me the silent treatment when i get angry about it or try to address it.

Edit: Jaspers is my cat

Edit2: it was the lemongrass essential oil from youngliving, if that makes any difference.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dienes posted:

loving do it. loving report "They call their kid Daffy Doug when they are playing around and watching cartoons" to CPS. The social workers there need a good laugh.
Even for a not substantiated finding (which will have to be rendered regardless of how loving stupid the report is), there will be a shitton of paperwork/documentation/etc., and some poor social worker will have to do it. The machinery of the bureaucracy must be oiled by constant generation and population of the mandated forms. Then again, the social worker who catches the case will probably be relieved that this one won’t end in having to find a bed at 2am for the kid who was just getting the poo poo beat out of him/her by a strung-out father but can’t stop crying because dad’s getting loaded into the back of a cop car. (Yes, I know it usually not the same social worker doing those things but Christ it’s all loving despair in solid form, at least outside looking into the system.)

On a lighter note,

Haifisch posted:

Am I (31M), or have I been, too restricting or overreacting to the habits and the way my GF (38F) and her daughter (17F) treat me?

How do you write an essay like this and not realize you need to leave?
Everything else aside, if you’re so in love with your partner that you want to live together in Holy Bedlock, stop loving referring to your partner’s offspring with whom you now share a life as “her daughter” or “the daughter”, like the kid is the third roommate you don’t like but have to keep around to make rent on a good apartment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milotic posted:

Some good ones this morning, there’s some incel nonsense too but I’m not sure I have the patience for that, it’s so cringey. This is fantastic:

My (23f) cat had an ear infection and my sister (19f) tried using organic oils to fix it. Ended up sending my cat to the hospital.

These essential oil people are dangerous. Any use of essential oil needs to be diluted with almond oil or something safe so you don't risk chemical burns.

That said, sniffing peppermint oil for migraines is legit, based on my sample size of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I’m not going to judge someone for not living together before marriage (I know I’m a thread outlier on this), but still, 6 years and you never discussed what your living arrangements after marriage would be? The guys a recovering alcoholic but still

Wife wants me to move in with her and her parents.

quote:

u/flight_path
My (32M) wife (34F) and I got married within the last year after dating for about six years. We do not and have never lived together. I live by myself in an apartment about a 30-45 minute drive away in a nearby community. She lives in her parent’s basement suite where she has never left the nest. She pays her parents approximately double the rent I pay for my private apartment whereas she lives live in their home. My rent is very inexpensive, effectively because the rent is controlled. She feels very strongly about living with her parents and paying them a high rent as she wants to financially support them. She also runs a small business out of this home as well, however this does not need to be done at their home. Although rent and real estate is very expensive where we live, her parents own a multi-million-dollar home and live in an exceptionally affluent area and live a respective lifestyle. I personally question whether the lifestyle her parents live is within their financial means.

I feel horrible that I do not live with my wife, in fact its very strange that we don’t and I am constantly reminded of this. Understandably, this has become a very difficult issue for both of us. She is pressuring me to move into her parent’s basement with her. I object to this as the costs will go up significantly to live in a smaller home and we will have less privacy/autonomy; plus, we are in our 30s and I think you should not live with your parents at this age beyond special circumstances should you have the financial means to do so (which we do).

My feeling is that she will want to continue to want to financially support her parents forever. I personally do not see how this can change anytime in the future. At this time my preference would be to move into my apartment as it overwhelmingly less expensive from a financial perspective. At a later date in the near future we could use the significant amount of money saved to buy our own home.

I’m at a loss of what to do and how to handle this situation. The reality is this could very well end my marriage.

TLDR: Never lived with my wife, she is pressuring me to move in with her and her parents largely because she is financially supporting them through paying rent.

Six years and this didn’t come up?