Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i recently finished working on a hardware project that was so many years delayed that we were paying $45 for an 800mhz soc with 256mb of ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sweeper posted:

don’t people embed lua into applications a lot? I think the wow ui is all lua

1 indexing is disgusting and wrong

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

not really

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm bad with numbers and thinking about ranges and inclusiveness and that kind of thing so i just always write tests around code that is sensitive to errors like that because my brain is gonna gently caress it up

as a result it's not really an issue for me and i dont care

or i use HOFs over iterators like the good lord intended.

the real horror is forcing users to manually iterate over things like it's the 80s. imo HLLs/scripting languages are loving up if your users have to think about array indexing very muchl

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea iteration is righteous

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ratbert90 posted:

If your budget is > 15$ per board, there's no excuse to not run embedded Linux these days. That price point get's you 1Ghz+, 512Mb of ram, and 8GB of eMMC.

At that point, choose whatever language you drat well please.

It's more like >15$ per SoC, plus there's the power consumption too, along with PSU requirements. And maybe even more importantly the slower SoCs tend to have a lot more integrated peripherals like SPI, UART, I2C, S-D ADCs, high-speed GPIO, tight clocks etc.

Actually there's a lot of reasons. What you commonly see (and the company I work at uses) is one beefier chip for "application logic" with high-speed communication buses to subsidiary SoCs taking care of the more tightly coupled things.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 25, 2018

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there are many good reasons not to run embedded Linux and random languages. like if you're doing literally anything realtime

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

If your budget is > 15$ per board, there's no excuse to not run embedded Linux these days. That price point get's you 1Ghz+, 512Mb of ram, and 8GB of eMMC.

At that point, choose whatever language you drat well please.

i worked for a manufacturer of scientific instruments selling at €50k who didn't run embedded linux, but had en entire division building and programming embedded boards.

it was madness

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

there are many good reasons not to run embedded Linux and random languages. like if you're doing literally anything realtime

*kworkers interrupts you*
*building explodes*

Linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Maximum Leader posted:

it’s even better in embedded lua when the bits implemented in c index from 0 but anything implemented in lua indexes from 1, so you constantly have to guess which any given call will expect. yes I’m looking at you wireshark

another thing I enjoy in lua is how there’s no way to get the size of a table - the fundamental data type of the language - other than iterating over it and incrementing a variable as you go

it is not a wonderful language

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
isn't #table how you get the size of a table in lua? it's dumb but you can do it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

isn't #table how you get the size of a table in lua? it's dumb but you can do it.

no, that’s a trap. it will ignore any keys that aren’t numbers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh, huh. apparently the # operator is flat out undefined for non-sequences. fun.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

lua's community is way too non-critical of the language, which is annoying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
whaaaa a programming language that fits in a thimble cuts some semantic corners??

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Toady posted:

lua's community is way too non-critical of the language, which is annoying

case in point

Gazpacho posted:

whaaaa a programming language that fits in a thimble cuts some semantic corners??

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't use lua, that's a language for programming internet swords right?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

one of lua's developers responded to criticism of silent nil from non-existent keys by essentially shrugging their shoulders and saying they were used to it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just wasted two days building a single-use tool in rust :hellyeah:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
yeah, there's no excuse not to ship every electronic product with a massively overspecced SoC running a heaped-together pile of off-the-shelf software mostly written by volunteers and never audited by anyone ever

on an unrelated note, my light bulbs are turning themselves on and off, my shower head seems to be transmitting nude photos of me to a cryptic chinese website, and my front door refuses to unlock unless i feed it bitcoins

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Internet Janitor posted:

yeah, there's no excuse not to ship every electronic product with a massively overspecced SoC running a heaped-together pile of off-the-shelf software mostly written by volunteers and never audited by anyone ever

on an unrelated note, my light bulbs are turning themselves on and off, my shower head seems to be transmitting nude photos of me to a cryptic chinese website, and my front door refuses to unlock unless i feed it bitcoins

and this way you can program the UI in electron and the embedded web server in node he’ll yeah

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

lmbo look at this poo poo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Internet Janitor posted:

my shower head seems to be transmitting nude photos of me to a cryptic chinese website
whoa, I wonder what the website did to piss off the hackers

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no really, thinking you need a full-blown OS just to manage a wifi stack is ridiculous

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

no really, thinking you need a full-blown OS just to manage a wifi stack is ridiculous

I deal primarily with larger scale projects.
sorry I didn’t want to create my own networking stack, sip library, media libraries, crypto libraries, etc etc.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

sorry I didn’t want to create my own networking stack, sip library, media libraries, crypto libraries, etc etc.

thats what we said then surprise

Internet Janitor posted:

turned out to be such an intractably large mess that creating our own everything was better

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

thats what we said then surprise

turned out to be such an intractably large mess that creating our own everything was better

How is your WiFi stack better? Also how was it a mess?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ratbert isn’t really a shades of grey or opinions are different from facts type of person so this is not a shock

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Peeny Cheez posted:

whoa, I wonder what the website did to piss off the hackers

True story, the primary library implementation of ModBus (a fairly common protocol) for Linux has for a long time had a hilarious bug - the translation of which ip address to listen to (from string to binary form) silently failed due to a bug, and it defaulted to 0.0.0.0. Meaning that a not-insignificant portion of IoT devices were wide open to whatever the firewall would allow. The protocol is used for controlling things which include boilers and heavy-duty electrical equipment.

This was fixed in the Git version for quite a while, but nobody bothered updating the "stable" version in the repository. And given how often IoT devices are updated, well, yeah.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 26, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There was a time at one point where you paid for software and you had a support contract and your embedded system was based on VxWorks or QNX and if the vendor hosed poo poo up you had some form of retaliation. Linux and the open-source community has killed that market, replacing a lot of operating system R&D funding with the "lmbo ship it" hacker mentality. Security audits and in-depth architecture design review? What are those

In anybody surprised that underfunded, mission-critical software like bash, Linux, and OpenSSL have giant holes in them, and the general response from the teams about improving their security and fixing their design is a resounding meh? Or, in Linux's case, a giant "How did they noty die as babies, considering
that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?"

Linux is a crowdsourced mess from a security perspective, talented people like Matthew Garret are being harassed for suggesting to improve things.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

yeah i'm not uh, discounting that larger projects exist? you can use a linux without it necessarily being a good idea for smaller scale projects

the current low-end IoT shitshow would largely be avoided if folks could wire up a GPIO to wifi without punting on doing anything and grabbing a linux. there's no reason a lightbulb needs it, no reason a sensor platform needs a file system.

i specifically did not mention video applications, christ how disingenuous

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

JawnV6 posted:

yeah i'm not uh, discounting that larger projects exist? you can use a linux without it necessarily being a good idea for smaller scale projects

the current low-end IoT shitshow would largely be avoided if folks could wire up a GPIO to wifi without punting on doing anything and grabbing a linux. there's no reason a lightbulb needs it, no reason a sensor platform needs a file system.

i specifically did not mention video applications, christ how disingenuous

I don't see how removing Linux is going to improve the security situation of a non updated unsupported device

the correct situation is to have liability for hacking shift to the store and manufacturers jointly and severably so that you end up getting updates or the companies go under

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

I don't see how removing Linux is going to improve the security situation of a non updated unsupported device

smaller attack surface

less stuff is less stuff

Malcolm XML posted:

the correct situation is to have liability for hacking shift to the store and manufacturers jointly and severably so that you end up getting updates or the companies go under

good luck with that, bro

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Private Speech posted:

True story, the primary library implementation of ModBus (a fairly common protocol) for Linux has for a long time had a hilarious bug - the translation of which ip address to listen to (from string to binary form) silently failed due to a bug, and it defaulted to 0.0.0.0. Meaning that a not-insignificant portion of IoT devices were wide open to whatever the firewall would allow. The protocol is used for controlling things which include boilers and heavy-duty electrical equipment.

This was fixed in the Git version for quite a while, but nobody bothered updating the "stable" version in the repository. And given how often IoT devices are updated, well, yeah.
I certainly remember that Mirai's primary vector was stupid internet-enabled pasta grobblers with default passwords and goddamn telnetd running.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

smaller attack surface
This is a valid strategy and also the reason I never had to wear a cup in sports.

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 26, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

There was a time at one point where you paid for software and you had a support contract and your embedded system was based on VxWorks or QNX and if the vendor hosed poo poo up you had some form of retaliation. Linux and the open-source community has killed that market, replacing a lot of operating system R&D funding with the "lmbo ship it" hacker mentality. Security audits and in-depth architecture design review? What are those

are you implying that those vendor-supported embedded systems were not security disasters, because i’m pretty sure they all just mostly died before anyone really paid attention

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

are you implying that those vendor-supported embedded systems were not security disasters

Yes.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

lol there's constant new attacks against components that have kept to that style (industrial automation and plcs and honestly still occasionally qnx)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you know that security code audits are like pure theater right

basically the only useful thing they ever do is to try to run a static analysis tool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Maximum Leader posted:

just fork your Lua to use 0 indexing

what could go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Yeah well fork your Lua too buddy