Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've heard that some people in the so-called "third world" own refrigerators!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

Aren’t you living in Japan though? Honestly your son will probably face none of the issues those guys talk about due to his half white privilege, he’ll probably end up on an episode of terrace house or something.

At least once he’s an adult, I imagine the childhood bullying for him there may be quite bad

we're gonna be between Japan and Hawaii for the next decade or so I guess, I've heard bad things about childhood bullying in Japan but everyone where we are now is unbelievably kind and welcoming so far. who knows.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Great Autismo! posted:

we're gonna be between Japan and Hawaii for the next decade or so I guess, I've heard bad things about childhood bullying in Japan but everyone where we are now is unbelievably kind and welcoming so far. who knows.

lol you think childhood bullying in japan is bad god help mixed kids if you send them to any wealthy or military school districts in hawaii

if you send them to any other schools they'll be using textbooks from the 1950s but at least we treated each other like human goddamn beings

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

The Great Autismo! posted:

[Sunday late morning, goes on Twitter, tweets]

"Every day America is moving more toward A Handmaid's Tale...unbelievably shocking how far this country is falling...a true third world nation compared to all those other beautiful countries out there...thinking about moving to Canada, can't deal with this."

*goes to brunch, has a Bloody Mary, watches the early NFL game, leaves a 19% tip for the waiter, chats with friends all day*

"oh hey you guys my tweet about moving to Canada got 22k likes, I dunno, I'm like...really thinking about it? America sucks, you know? I just...I don't know. Anyone wanna get an uber and head over to Harley's Pub for drinks? Oh God, you don't have UberLUX? God, how poor are you, Becky?"

This but literally as evidence of why the United States is turning into a third world country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

nickmeister posted:

Well, america is well on it's way to full on 3rd world status. Maybe they'll go easy on us then haha

America is doing some kind of experiment where the blue states have to march ahead on their own, while the red states are yes turning increasingly into capitalist versions of the late east bloc.
We're gonna be living in a land of differing living standards that will make our present ones look positively minor. Which will make us kind of like a BRIC country I guess yeah.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

Even third world countries have people with disposable income and lives of leisure. What's your point?

Are corporatocracies even countries? :thunk:

I think the point is that people who are actually able to effect positive change, or at least give it momentum, are all talk, and no action.

The hypocrisy is a given

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

lol you think childhood bullying in japan is bad god help mixed kids if you send them to any wealthy or military school districts in hawaii

if you send them to any other schools they'll be using textbooks from the 1950s but at least we treated each other like human goddamn beings

This seems weird as poo poo as I would presume there’s plenty of mixed kids in Hawaii wealthy schools but no?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1022361836132487169

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Holy poo poo

Piss

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LimburgLimbo posted:

This seems weird as poo poo as I would presume there’s plenty of mixed kids in Hawaii wealthy schools but no?

Schools in rich districts no, they're all rich first-generation kids or from dynasty-style families who never married into the local populace. Poor schools everybody. Don't let Obama's fantastical tales of Punahou decieve you.

But if you end up in like Waianae then you're gonna get your rear end whupped, not because you're mixed or white or whatever, but because that's just the neighborhood. At my public school I once got concussed because some punk took a cheap shot at me from behind because he thought I was someone else. good luck

not intentional. just someone cycling past with a 10m-long plastic bag full of natural gas

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 26, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

evil_bunnY posted:

I work in tech and hate their tech coverage. Wife is a scientist and curses their science coverage. HTH

Well poo poo. Did she see that article in the Scientific American last week about how Chinese Scientists somehow magically found a secret trick to quantum computing a month after their supercomputers were laughed off the stage?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The White Dragon posted:

Schools in rich districts no, they're all rich first-generation kids or from dynasty-style families who never married into the local populace. Poor schools everybody. Don't let Obama's fantastical tales of Punahou decieve you.

But if you end up in like Waianae then you're gonna get your rear end whupped, not because you're mixed or white or whatever, but because that's just the neighborhood. At my public school I once got concussed because some punk took a cheap shot at me from behind because he thought I was someone else. good luck

not intentional. just someone cycling past with a 10m-long plastic bag full of natural gas

alternative not intentional: industrial accident caused by neglect.

Pro PRC Laowai
Jun 14, 2018

Boiled Water posted:

alternative not intentional: industrial accident caused by neglect.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/26/us-embassy-blast-beijing-china

Suicide bomber apparently

Edit: they updated it with a lot more info, apparently not suicide bomber, just a dude with a really crappy firecracker bomb?

Pro PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 26, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
who managed to hurt only his own loving hand lol

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

anyone who doesn't regularly shittalk their own country is probably an rear end in a top hat tbh
Keeping some distance from yourself, your country, and the things you love is healthy. If you can't make a joke at your own expense and laugh at your own shortcomings, you're probably a broken person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always was fairly critical of the US in my American history course, both for appropriateness (Vietnam, for example) and to show my Chinese students it's fine to critically evaluate your own country.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Fojar38 posted:

anyone who doesn't regularly shittalk their own country is probably an rear end in a top hat tbh

Collateral Damage posted:

Keeping some distance from yourself, your country, and the things you love is healthy. If you can't make a joke at your own expense and laugh at your own shortcomings, you're probably a broken person.

Smart turds ITT

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LimburgLimbo posted:

Look at how haier turned out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GoutPatrol posted:

Look at how haier turned out.

Hey, at least he's not an incel.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Doesn't present much of anything new but I thought this video was well presented, it's part of a multi-part series on Hong Kong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyxG4vTyZ8

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DnD is hot garbage. It's full of screaming cannibals running around on fire trying to get on the one high horse between them. I hate it more every time it leaks.

You have people defending ethnic cleansing, institutional oppression, murder, unmolested while you get probed for making a gaff. I had a 3 page derail when I used "unfortunate" in regards to someone's death. Apparently this wasn't enough Press X to Pay Respects and when I asked them what I should have said instead I never got an answer. Shortly after that I got out, mostly, with the odd incursions, each as foolish as the last.

Healthy people poo poo talk their own country and have a laugh. We gently caress sheep here but if you are looking for a more polygynous relationship go with cows as they out number sheep by a fair margin.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

DnD is hot garbage. It's full of screaming cannibals running around on fire trying to get on the one high horse between them. I hate it more every time it leaks.

You have people defending ethnic cleansing, institutional oppression, murder, unmolested while you get probed for making a gaff. I had a 3 page derail when I used "unfortunate" in regards to someone's death. Apparently this wasn't enough Press X to Pay Respects and when I asked them what I should have said instead I never got an answer. Shortly after that I got out, mostly, with the odd incursions, each as foolish as the last.

Healthy people poo poo talk their own country and have a laugh. We gently caress sheep here but if you are looking for a more polygynous relationship go with cows as they out number sheep by a fair margin.

Sir, this is a McDonald’s drive thrPOST THE SUIT

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

oohhboy posted:

D&D threads vary in quality real widely. Unfortunately the China thread is one of the really bad ones yeah.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

is there such a thing as a men's wearhouse drive through

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Pirate Radar posted:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
Uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/xiaoxuyvr/status/1021796804105449472?s=19

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Er

https://twitter.com/phila_siu/status/1022470892582924288?s=19

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Degree in Foreigner Management
https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1022420609794330624?s=19

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Too soon?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

No

I’m sorry you actually seem halfway decent

There’s some real turds floating around this thread though, you know who you are

I'm a sinking turd so he's not talking about me :haw:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
A woman gets abducted by police in broad daylight for sharing video of the explosion outside the American embassy.

https://twitter.com/rebeccaludavis/status/1022402175849250816?s=19

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in what universe has it ever been appropriate for a country to have a drat national day over something they had no involvement in

it's like if france had a national day remembering the trail of tears. it's not just absurd, from a lot of perspectives it's incredibly insulting to the countries actually involved.

of course in the CCP's world anything pushing the 'oh poor downtrodden china' angle is probably good so

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

A woman gets abducted by police in broad daylight for sharing video of the explosion outside the American embassy.
is there a followup to that because i am not seeing the hauling off portion here

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Coolguye posted:

in what universe has it ever been appropriate for a country to have a drat national day over something they had no involvement in

it's like if france had a national day remembering the trail of tears. it's not just absurd, from a lot of perspectives it's incredibly insulting to the countries actually involved.

of course in the CCP's world anything pushing the 'oh poor downtrodden china' angle is probably good so

On Waygook.org (a big site for foreign teachers in Korea), I once saw a thread that was something like, "Korean people are so disrespectful for not respecting Remembrance Day*. How dare they make us come to school on that day? Blah blah" and I laughed so hard that I scared my neighbor.

*Based on the date, the OP was from somewhere in the Commonwealth.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

On Waygook.org (a big site for foreign teachers in Korea)

"gook" is a common korean syllable, right, no connection to the slur? serious question

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coolguye posted:

is there a followup to that because i am not seeing the hauling off portion here

u had to click a single link, then a play button :smith:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaludavis/status/1022413181816209408

its plainclothes officers claiming to be her family hauling her off then the uniformed police show up and tell everybody to move along

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sure, as long as they also thrown in a Tienanmen Square Day

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Counter-proposal: Nanjing Massacre Celebration Day

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

u had to click a single link, then a play button :smith:

its plainclothes officers claiming to be her family hauling her off then the uniformed police show up and tell everybody to move along

oh sheesh thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

World War Mammories posted:

"gook" is a common korean syllable, right, no connection to the slur? serious question

No connection. It just means "person" in Korean.

• Locked thread