Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't realize the new music album covers tracks through 4.3. There's basically no way the remainder of Stormblood will have enough new music to justify another album.

Unless we go well past patch 4.5. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

This thread cursed me by talking about failing ifrit normal the other day. I've somehow gotten ifrit normal multiple times this week out of my leveling roulette and had wipes every time.

Again, this is typical if there are new people in the party. Yes, it's an easy boss with only one easy mechanic, but that one easy mechanic is a hard wipe if you don't do it and new people don't realize that until they (literally!) get burned by it. Also, if you're a new person, Ifrit is right after a series of really easy dungeons where people may be telling them to ignore adds/mechanics and just focus down the boss, so they may think Ifrit is the same type of deal.

If you're wiping multiple times in an instance, or if nobody in the group is new, then that's awful and I'm sorry.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

rujasu posted:

Again, this is typical if there are new people in the party. Yes, it's an easy boss with only one easy mechanic, but that one easy mechanic is a hard wipe if you don't do it and new people don't realize that until they (literally!) get burned by it. Also, if you're a new person, Ifrit is right after a series of really easy dungeons where people may be telling them to ignore adds/mechanics and just focus down the boss, so they may think Ifrit is the same type of deal.

If you're wiping multiple times in an instance, or if nobody in the group is new, then that's awful and I'm sorry.

I figured that was the case when it happened but both times the tank was the newbie so I have no idea what the healer/dps were doing by just ignoring the nail and hoping nothing would happen

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

Are early level bosses easy to figure out and learn, or will I have been expected to read up on them beforehand? I mean I'm doing the latter anyway, but folks can be prickly about this in some games.

There is nothing you need to read about ahead of time save like savage raiding. The game is usually really good at informing you what you need to do to solve a mechanic as long as you're paying attention.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Brainamp posted:

There is nothing you need to read about ahead of time save like savage raiding. The game is usually really good at informing you what you need to do to solve a mechanic as long as you're paying attention.

This isn't -entirely- true, there are some mechanics that aren't as well telegraphed as others. I've seen parties in Ramuh leave the healer terrified forever (once wiping because of it).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Worst case scenario, you wipe to a mechanic you don't know about and the party gets all passive-aggressive while telling you what to do. Oh no, a three minute time loss.

I feel bad for the people who feel compelled to watch/read guides for their first cracks at normal-difficulty content, because XIV has a lot of really cool stuff that blew me away when I saw it the first time. Metal Gear Susano: Revengeance was the hypest poo poo when me and all of my friends went in totally blind.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Starting in Heavensward, the devs have done a really great job of standardizing mechanic markers which makes doing stuff blind simple and fun.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah Ramuh is really weird in that its mechanics arent well explained but if anyone knows the fight you can ignore them entirely until you get an entire party of people like that.

I think I said it in my last post but Moggle Mog is the only boss that you really need an explanation before fighting because its incredibly counterintuitive and youll just mysteriously die if its not done right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Ive never used a controller but Ive known some people who switched to it out of curiosity and never came back.

I tried, and while I actually found it was at least as good (and arguably better) for just doing my rotation against a single-target, I frequently found myself loving up targeting or having a brain-fart and holding down the wrong bumper button. I imagine it might be easier for people who are more used to controllers, and I could probably get the muscle memory after a while but I'm too lazy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think theres another boss (levianthan?) that also kills you if you damage it too fast because some of its mechanics are based on % hp lol. Ive only ever seen this happen in unsynced though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Weeping City of Mhach is easy, but that mechanic where Calofisteri pulls you in if you look at her is so poorly explained that I had to look it up. :argh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just remember to split the chains unless they're the ones you don't.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just tanked my way all the way up to level 70 and probably only memorized like half the mechanics i probably should

i only learned like last week that the glowing red arrows means "stack here" and the huge pinkish circles means "get as far away as possible" :v:

it's a wonder i've gotten anywhere in this game

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I generally look up a guide to see it they have a gaze. Otherwise I don't always pay attention to what the boss is doing and get paralyzed or silenced because I didn't look away.

Wipes happen, and if it was something I did I just give a quick "whoops my bad" and we do it again. I don't get too salty until its repeated idiotic wipes in a row. The player base is in general gracious for roulette runs, and if you can keep up some good cheer in the chat things will usually recover and people won't get too nasty. This may be coloured by being a sprout however.

I was always able to just ask "any notable mechanics" and people would answer. Even non-sprouts don't always remember the mechanics of a fight they haven't done in a while.

Admitting to being new and asking questions/trying to learn mechanics is also a good way to farm commendations. Gotta get all the noms.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
to be fair it wasn't till about mid HW that they started to standardized mechanic markers. SB onward theyre pretty intuitive so even when doing a new fight you can figure out whats going on. i also like how they start building on previous mechanics for new ones (gaze+stack, stack-in-a-line, "inverted" markers, etc)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh god, going through HW and something has sunk in my heart: Needing to do all the sidequests so I can fly in each zone, meaning I can't just power through the HW content.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I think theres another boss (levianthan?) that also kills you if you damage it too fast because some of its mechanics are based on % hp lol. Ive only ever seen this happen in unsynced though

With Leviathan it's ranged DPS killing themselves trying to damage the head or tail when it reflects their damage type

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leal posted:

Oh god, going through HW and something has sunk in my heart: Needing to do all the sidequests so I can fly in each zone, meaning I can't just power through the HW content.

At least one in each zone is MSQ-locked, usually given when you're just about done in the area. You can absolutely power through and come back for currents later.

Also not all of the sidequests, just a select few.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
IME I only notice people get snippy about wipes quickly in 24 mans and they can basically always be ignored or dunked on.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Leal posted:

Or just skip on flying if its an alt character, if any zone needs flying to unlock additional content(barely a handful of dungeons far as i remember) then just have a friend ferry you there on a two seater mount.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rainuwastaken posted:

At least one in each zone is MSQ-locked, usually given when you're just about done in the area. You can absolutely power through and come back for currents later.

Also not all of the sidequests, just a select few.

And those sidequests will have the blue + marker on them. So once you get to that point in a chain (and they're usually early in a chain), you know you can quit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know what's better than getting a lowbie dungeon in Roulette?

Getting a lowbie dungeon with a Healer that does nothing but spam Cure. Even when most of the party has stacking poison debuffs. :shepicide:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Getting a lowbie dungeon with a Healer that does nothing but spam Cure. Even when most of the party has stacking poison debuffs. :shepicide:

At least Cure spam is sufficient to clear low level dungeons, even if it's slow and boring. Fun fact: Medica spam is not actually enough to keep a tank alive vs even some of the earliest bosses, like the demon sub-bosses in Tam Tara.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Lalafell are grumpy little buggers aren't they.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Things get a little weird with running ARR extreme primals unsynced because you can completely break the mechanics.

Leviathan: If you DPS the head/tail too much (including by throwing DOT's on it) and miss the adds or don't do the elemental shield thing right, he will usually one-shot everyone who's not a Lv 70 tank. You can respect the mechanics, or bring 4+ tanks and go HAM.
Ifrit: If you DPS too fast, you'll miss the adds and he'll wipe you, there's no getting around this, you have to slow your DPS and kill the nails
Ramuh: Pretty much same as Ifrit
Titan/Garuda/Shiva/Odin: Just go HAM on the boss
Moggle: I have no idea what you're actually supposed to do in the EX version of this, but every unsynced run I've done ends in like 0:42 whether I'm hitting the right targets or not, so I just hit things, and if I do zero damage I try hitting something else

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wrt mog ex, at the start of the second phase when the king is summoned and all the little guys are in a circle around him, you can just aoe everyone down really quickly and burn king before he does his big attack

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Had to spam Cure last Brayflox I ran because the tank was wearing DoW and DoM gear. Got everyone through without dying but didn't get any comms :suicide:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've never unlocked flying on SB b/c I hate that one giant twisty map in the desert. I'm waiting for them to nerf the locations in the next few yrs or so.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kuvo posted:

wrt mog ex, at the start of the second phase when the king is summoned and all the little guys are in a circle around him, you can just aoe everyone down really quickly and burn king before he does his big attack

His big attack only does about 30k damage, too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've done Moggle Mog regular and EX about 200 times each. I have no clue what the mechanics are. I just know they're different between the two and doing them wrong causes a swift wipe.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You don't have to run Levi at ex to see wipes, because gear sync on normal is bad enough that his whirlpool is random based on party dps.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whenever i get Levi Ex in Khloe's book, i queue as tank. 7 times out of ten, i'm the one who ends up soloing the rest of the fight from 50% onwards.
It's not even hard, really, just takes a few minutes. Make sure to switch to tank stance before the whirlpool, maybe pop one cooldown if you're not at full health, then use HP regen skills for a while until you got a comfortable buffer again.

(2/10 it's me and one or two other tanks beating Levi down after all DPS and healers died to the first/second whirlpool, and 1/10 i fall off or get feared off and watch another tank do the rest of the fight solo)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

I've done Moggle Mog regular and EX about 200 times each. I have no clue what the mechanics are. I just know they're different between the two and doing them wrong causes a swift wipe.

Mog hard does an AOE when his health hits a certain point that is a hard wipe if more than like, 6 of the adds are still alive, unsynced you can get away with only killing about 3 of them but synced it's probably safer to burn them all down before hitting the boss.

Mogex is the easiest to gently caress up, Mog himself is invicible if any of the adds are still allive, but any time one of them dies he will use his health to revive them/fully heal the rest. After the third time one of the adds dies instead of healing them, he just starts a 30 second enrage timer, so the trick is to get them all low before killing one. Or run 8 WHM and just spam holy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

You don't have to run Levi at ex to see wipes, because gear sync on normal is bad enough that his whirlpool is random based on party dps.

Yeah, it blows. Unless you've got someone with incredibly fast fingers positioned right at the converter, it usually takes at least one dry run to see the point at which he'll do his actual phase change dive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

1. Nod your noggle nog
2. Mind your gob

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you Troubador Mage's Ballad on Levi EX, well-geared DPS can also survive the big tidal wave ime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rujasu posted:

Titan/Garuda/Shiva/Odin: Just go HAM on the boss

If you go HAM on Garuda, though, you might force a skip of Suparna and Chirada. By which I mean she still summons them, but you skip the part where you have to kill them.

So she drops twice as many DOT feathers as usual and Aerial Blast is buffed to "gently caress everyone who isn't higher than Level 60" damage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Levi EX is really fun after learning the mechanics. It's like a dance.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

Levi EX is really fun after learning the mechanics. It's like a dance.

a lot of fights are, I'd say. one of the fine folks I raid with once mentioned that he visualizes mechanics like the steps in a drum corps performance, which I thought was evocative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you go HAM on Garuda, though, you might force a skip of Suparna and Chirada. By which I mean she still summons them, but you skip the part where you have to kill them.

So she drops twice as many DOT feathers as usual and Aerial Blast is buffed to "gently caress everyone who isn't higher than Level 60" damage.

I've seen full 70 unsync parties soft skip Suparna/Chirada, where they summon but you don't even get to target them before the phase change.