Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
As a reminder, I'm still looking to see if anyone's interested in Raid School. I've had quite a few people volunteer to teach, but only a couple of people who are keen on learning Extreme and Savage content. It's fun (at least until you hit Guardian) and most of us don't bite, honest! If you want to learn the basics of raid-type stuff, and maybe get some shiny gear to lord over your lessers peers in Duty Finder, yell at me here or in Catgirl Bargains, or shoot me a Discord message at Estelle, Wandering Dramaturge#4324.

school is always in session. ALWAYS.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've just been doing whatever the dungeon closest to my level is (after the day's roulette), which is fortunately very fast as a tank (usually no more than a 2 minute or so wait).

I just unlocked the ability to give items to my Grand Company for seals, which was a good way to clear some equipment out of my inventory, and I'm now a Sergeant First Class.

Yep, grand company turn-ins are a really handy way to get something useful out of old gear. If you just greed on everything in dungeons and turn in the stuff you don't need, you'll be drowning in seals really quick. I don't know exactly what level you're at, but you can use those seals to get some very good gear from level 20-ish all the way up to 50, as well as Ventures for retainers, glamour prisms, and a ton of (mostly useless) crafting ingredients.

Tashilicious posted:

I really loving wish FATE attunement for quests or dungeons were over already.

One hour waiting for a specific FATE to pop is not fun.

IIRC, they're finally getting rid of those before 4.4 hits, at least for the old Crystal Tower raid series. You'll (presumably) still get the joy of angry red chocobos if you're unlocking Ridorana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Them being removed for 4.4 does not help me with my crystal tower attunement right loving now loving does it gently caress

Another hour long wait for a fate to pop in Nathalan now ;_;

At least two of them were basically up as soon as I got to the zone.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who just leveled machinist, it just feels bad to play if you try to force order on it. I tried to make the buttons make sense while leveling it and it never felt good. Now when you’re like level 65+, everything feels loving cool.

The class is still, overall, poorly designed, especially if you plan to raid with it. But as someone who just wants to push buttons and spin around in the air while firing a gun, I can do that.

None of this is very true and the class's main rotation is mostly done by level 60 when you get ricochet. The only bad part is that heat control in 52-62 is awkward because you just take the gauss barrel off instead of ever overheating.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No. You don't take the barrel off, you just let it ride. Get used to reapplying it after crashes now, rather than later. After all, it's a 20% damage buff while it's overheating.

But yes, trying to impose order on MCH at any point before level 70 is an exercise in futility.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Them being removed for 4.4 does not help me with my crystal tower attunement right loving now loving does it gently caress

Another hour long wait for a fate to pop in Nathalan now ;_;

At least two of them were basically up as soon as I got to the zone.

You could always wait?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and be like level 70 when I get there? No thanks.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Aaaaah, the logging out animation in an Inn. :allears:

Aaaah, the logging in animation when you're at an Inn. :allears:

Aaaaagh, give me your Triple Triad cards Mother Miounne. :argh:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

and be like level 70 when I get there? No thanks.

And miss out on what? You can do the raids and story at 70, and there are easier to unlock raids at 60 and 70.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Aaaaah, the logging out animation in an Inn. :allears:

Aaaah, the logging in animation when you're at an Inn. :allears:

I've only just started the TT road. Dungeons are going to give you cards, too, so check your inventory from time to time and you may have a few two or three star cards.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

oh no blimp issue posted:

You could always wait?

FATES actually respawn fairly quick but there can only be a certain number of them up per zone and per area of the zone. The one for Crystal Tower spawns down in that spot as well one other one in that same area. If there are already a bunch of fates up in the zone and nothing/the other fate in that area then just bite the bullet and do them. That way you have a better chance of the game giving you the correct FATE in the correct AREA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Safeword posted:

Oh, you're collecting cards.

Prepare to get angry at Final Fantasy XIV.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

FATES actually respawn fairly quick but there can only be a certain number of them up per zone and per area of the zone. The one for Crystal Tower spawns down in that spot as well one other one in that same area. If there are already a bunch of fates up in the zone and nothing/the other fate in that area then just bite the bullet and do them. That way you have a better chance of the game giving you the correct FATE in the correct AREA.

I meant wait until 4.4

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I go out triple triad card collecting here and there. I just wish they had a better display for them, like just bigger in general and more album like and use some of their rad concept art instead of really bad fuzzy in game images.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
ARR's sightseeing log is awful. I have a screenshot guide open, a video guide open, and for some reason even though I'm standing in the right place at the right time and with the right weather it simply refuses to accept I'm in the right place, at the right time and with the right weather.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just making sure: Are you doing the correct emote too? Most of them work with /lookout, but some require /pray eg.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 30, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
TT was the main reason I played Ff8 for so long. I will weather a lot of tedium and punishment to fill up my gallery of jpegs!

I assume there's no reason to stay a gladiator now I've unlocked paladin?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

None at all

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Gimmick situations where you want those extra role actions but really not. And even those role actions are coming to jobs in 4.4

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you get that rock you don't go back.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Safeword posted:

TT was the main reason I played Ff8 for so long. I will weather a lot of tedium and punishment to fill up my gallery of jpegs!

Queue as gladiator for 70 dungeons and raids to piss people off. (Don’t do this)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

orcane posted:

Just making sure: Are you doing the correct emote too? Most of them work with /lookout, but some require /pray eg.

There are some of them that I'm in as near a perfect version of the screenshot in a guide as I can get and it's not even saying 'you're at a vista'

There's nothing that indicates to me where I should be and it's driving me mad.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Sion posted:

There are some of them that I'm in as near a perfect version of the screenshot in a guide as I can get and it's not even saying 'you're at a vista'

There's nothing that indicates to me where I should be and it's driving me mad.

Just a thought but I’m pretty sure they unlock in tiers. Like you have to do 1-20 before the others unlock. So if you were trying to do 55 but you still haven’t done 16 then you won’t get a prompt I think. Pretty sure they all work after doing 1-20 though.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 30, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

As a reminder, I'm still looking to see if anyone's interested in Raid School. I've had quite a few people volunteer to teach, but only a couple of people who are keen on learning Extreme and Savage content. It's fun (at least until you hit Guardian) and most of us don't bite, honest! If you want to learn the basics of raid-type stuff, and maybe get some shiny gear to lord over your lessers peers in Duty Finder, yell at me here or in Catgirl Bargains, or shoot me a Discord message at Estelle, Wandering Dramaturge#4324.

school is always in session. ALWAYS.

How much of a commitment do you think school would be? I'd love to learn extremes and such but it's hard to commit for a regularly scheduled thing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Safeword posted:

One reason, that is going away in.... eight days.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It is?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jobs will be able to take 10 actions in the next patch

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Finally, healers might stop forgetting to take Esuna in raids that need it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
"its not on my bar lol"

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
I'm still not casting protect.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
At this point, I just have Esuna and Protect equipped at all times. I'm too lazy to write a macro to swap them for me, too casual to need E4E or whatever else I'd take instead, and everybody freaks out if they don't have their tiny defense buff active 24/7. Protect needs to get reworked into the PVP version or something already.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I did notice that people tend to get pissy if you don't cast Protect in the beginning of dungeons. I just cast it so it makes them feel better, but it makes me wish I could have a better role action in that slot instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

M.c.P posted:

I feel like you’re meant to lean on Dark Passenger at low levels as DRK. They get the soul eater combo fairly early, but the self heal really just doesn’t count for much. Abyssal Drain at... 54? that’s the first part of DRK’s scaling tankiness versus large groups.

Speaking of Abyssal Drain, I was looking at future skill/spell descriptions and it sounds like a flat-out better version of Unleash. Is Unleash only used if the ranged pull skill (forget its name) procs?

edit: As an unrelated thing, I finally looked up where to spend achievement points, and found that I had enough to get 2 mounts (with some left over). I got the goofy claw that drags you around and held off on spending the rest for the time being.

Tashilicious posted:

I've only just started the TT road. Dungeons are going to give you cards, too, so check your inventory from time to time and you may have a few two or three star cards.

I've been doing it occasionally since I started playing relatively recently, and I'm up to 46 cards now. I think I can use as many 3*s as I want at 60 cards? That'll buff up my deck a ton. IIRC there's some achievement I'm close to that will give me a 5* Squall card, which will be nice as well (currently I'm using Lahabrea as my highest card).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Abyssal Drain, I was looking at future skill/spell descriptions and it sounds like a flat-out better version of Unleash. Is Unleash only used if the ranged pull skill (forget its name) procs?

edit: As an unrelated thing, I finally looked up where to spend achievement points, and found that I had enough to get 2 mounts (with some left over). I got the goofy claw that drags you around and held off on spending the rest for the time being.

I've been doing it occasionally since I started playing relatively recently, and I'm up to 46 cards now. I think I can use as many 3*s as I want at 60 cards? That'll buff up my deck a ton. IIRC there's some achievement I'm close to that will give me a 5* Squall card, which will be nice as well (currently I'm using Lahabrea as my highest card).

Abyssal Drain costs way more MP, but you're still probably going to be using it most of the time anyway instead of Unleash.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

Unleash is used for grabbing enemies as it generates more hate and is easier to aim since it's centered on you. AD is used for damage once everything is nice and clumped, plus some recovery if you bother Dark Artsing it. So later game big pulls will usually involve you using Unmend and Unleash to grab packs and then spamming AD when you're done pulling.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rainuwastaken posted:

At this point, I just have Esuna and Protect equipped at all times. I'm too lazy to write a macro to swap them for me, too casual to need E4E or whatever else I'd take instead, and everybody freaks out if they don't have their tiny defense buff active 24/7. Protect needs to get reworked into the PVP version or something already.

Erase Protect

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah. Once you get enough cards, you can run a deck with four 3* and one 5*. You get Squall once you've beaten a certain number of NPC's. Doesn't matter how many times you beat them, you can go 1-25 against them, just beat them once so they don't have the ! symbol over their heads. I'm currently at that point where Squall is my top card, there's at least one slightly better 5* in the game, but Squall is the easiest good one to get.

Also, "occasionally" is the best way to play TT. A big part of getting to 60 cards is getting the ones that drop from dungeons & raids (the Crystal Tower ones seem to drop a lot FWIW). Play the game, play NPC's when you see the card over their head, run your roulettes, and buy the cheap boosters if you haven't done that already.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Even if you don't have a really strong deck yet, try to do the biweekly TT tournament when it comes up. There should be one starting tomorrow, actually.

You can queue into the Battle Hall via the Duty Finder where there are more NPCs to play against; you can get an acceptable amount of points for repeatedly beating even the low-ranked NPCs, at least enough for 2 platinum cards (1100+ pts) when the tournament ends. Occasionally you can luck out and pull one of the tournament prize cards from a platinum pack, so you don't have to place in the top 3 to eventually finish your collection (but it sure helps). Those NPCs also have unique cards you can win.

There's also four Challenge Log entries for TT: Play 10 games, Win 10 games, Play 5 games in the Battlehall, and Win 3 games in the Battlehall. That's 18,500 MGP per week if you do them all.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colgate posted:

I did notice that people tend to get pissy if you don't cast Protect in the beginning of dungeons. I just cast it so it makes them feel better, but it makes me wish I could have a better role action in that slot instead.

Yeah a lot of people refuse to even start the dungeon if even one person does not have protect, it's amazing.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They'll probably eventually just have it be cast automatically so it can be replaced by a new ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

The only fix Protect needs is to change the duration to 5 minutes, so we see that sweet animation more often.