Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Maybe I'm reading your question wrong and you know this already, but Enochian stays up when you swap between AF & UI when you cast Blizzard 3 & Fire 3. It's only when you gently caress up and drop your timer or gently caress up and hit Fire/Blizzard 1 or 2 while in the wrong element. Transpose is only good if you are on the move and can't cast something or boss invincibility phases.

Yeah, I understood that, but I was wondering how people managed to keep Enochian up during phase changes like you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

as someone who has recently leveled a MCH from 30-40 here is my important contribution to the MCH discussion:

this class is a fuckin mess lol

MCH has one of the roughest leveling curves in the game right now. It was much less of a problem to take to 60 in HW when its tools were spread out better.

It's still my favorite job.

Leal posted:

Playing on my main again, catching up on the MSQ. I'm at 4.3? I think I can predict how this story is gonna work out Tsuyu is going to either become a primal or will summon a primal. The chests that Asahi keeps around are full of crystals. I can see this coming just because Hein emphasizes "the writing of the contract is that we have no primals". Asahi is going to make Tsuyu summon one to nullify the contract

I swear if I'm right...

4.3 is hella good, enjoy! Make sure to share your reactions.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If Split-Slug-Clean are 1-2-3, then the best use of ammo is to go 1-2-1-3-2-3.

holy poo poo doubling back on this MCH chat real quick i never knew you could keep a buff on clean shot and fish for slug

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

holy poo poo doubling back on this MCH chat real quick i never knew you could keep a buff on clean shot and fish for slug

Yep, the Slug/Clean procs stay active for 10s. It's not a traditional 1-2-3 combo job.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It's one of the cooler things about the job. In HW you could stack those procced shots and then use them on the run since the procced versions had no cast time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so for low level stuff i should be looking to:

reload > split shot > slug shot > split shot > clean shot > quick reload > slug shot > clean shot

that sound right? to max out ammo usage when i have both reloads available. with probably wildfire tossed in before i use clean shot. i'm only level 40 so i don't have much available but probably should start learning the most basic idea behind the core rotation lol

probably the thing i hate the most about MCH at the moment is how wordy their abilities are.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

probably the thing i hate the most about MCH at the moment is how wordy their abilities are.

dont play SAM then

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kuvo posted:

dont play SAM then

I see nothing wrong with meikyo shisui, higanbana, hissatsu: kaiten, midare setsugekka, and hissatsu:shinten :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For low-level poo poo, just hit whatever the highest procced button is. It only becomes a real issue inside of Wildfire, where you have five GCDs and have to pack in the most DPA as possible.

That's not a typo, btw. Damage-per-Activation. Which, means, for Wildfire, you're inserting Wildfire in (accounting for circumstances) somewhere in here:

1-2-1-Wildfire-3-2-3-CD-CD.

And then you build the rest of the MCH oGCDs around that core to make it happen. (We do CD-CD at the end, because heated CD + heated CD is higher potency than heated split + heated slug.... assuming you got lucky with procs and poo poo.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You basically just don't want to use Clean Shot with ammo in your pouch because it's a waste of ammo. So 121 3 QR2 3 gives you the same damage as 123-123 but on four bullets instead of five.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So now that I've sat down and actually bothered doing it, what are the pazuzu feathers from eureka used for?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

So now that I've sat down and actually bothered doing it, what are the pazuzu feathers from eureka used for?

You need them to turn your upgraded relic weapon into a sparkly upgraded relic weapon.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
My only issue with the game so far is that mechanist, samurai and red mage are locked into high levels. Red mages look especially fancy and really fun zipping all over.

An incentive to stop faffing at my level though I suppose.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You said you got Stormblood right? SAM and RDM should be available to you as soon as you get to level 50 (and maybe clear Praet too?) though yeah MCH requires you to reach Heavensward content first.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leal posted:

Playing on my main again, catching up on the MSQ. I'm at 4.3? I think I can predict how this story is gonna work out Tsuyu is going to either become a primal or will summon a primal. The chests that Asahi keeps around are full of crystals. I can see this coming just because Hein emphasizes "the writing of the contract is that we have no primals". Asahi is going to make Tsuyu summon one to nullify the contract

I swear if I'm right...

For all of the dev team's attempts to keep the 4.3 Primal secret, it was exceptionally obvious what was about to go down.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For all of the dev team's attempts to keep the 4.3 Primal secret, it was exceptionally obvious what was about to go down.

i'm in the legion of losers who were demanding hien to execute yotsuyu because SHE HAD IT COMING

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Are there any goons playing on Japanese servers?

I play on Tonberry. Quite a lot of English speakers. My FC is composed of SEA/Oceania people.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

My only issue with the game so far is that mechanist, samurai and red mage are locked into high levels. Red mages look especially fancy and really fun zipping all over.

An incentive to stop faffing at my level though I suppose.

Machinist being locked out until HW isn't a bad thing tho, its by far the worst gameplay experience in the game(yes i know some people here still play it, doesn't mean its overall awful and worst designed job) and potentially would scare newbies who pick it as early class far away from the game.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

FactsAreUseless posted:

You basically just don't want to use Clean Shot with ammo in your pouch because it's a waste of ammo. So 121 3 QR2 3 gives you the same damage as 123-123 but on four bullets instead of five.

Caveats: if you already have procced slug and clean lined up with ammo ready to go, Clean is the best use of it. It's also not worth delaying quick reload or reload just for better proc lineups; you'll lose DPS in the long run.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kuvo posted:

dont play SAM then

i unlocked it, took one look at the abilities, then never switched back to it

Alakaiser posted:

Caveats: if you already have procced slug and clean lined up with ammo ready to go, Clean is the best use of it. It's also not worth delaying quick reload or reload just for better proc lineups; you'll lose DPS in the long run.

mash buttons blindly, got it

lol but really though thanks for the tips everyone. i ain't plan on doing any high end content for a while and even if i ever did i'd probably tank instead, but it's still interesting to know what the expected flow of a job is

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

mash buttons blindly, got it

tbh this is more or less how you play mch optimally

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

oh no blimp issue posted:

On the flip side it’s hilarious to buy things from the vendor and sell them on the market board

My favorite recent example of this were the flowers released recently, the dimension vase or whatever. They sell for 5000 in gridania and I saw people paying up to 400k for them on the market board on Levi when they first came out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

i unlocked it, took one look at the abilities, then never switched back to it
Honestly SAM's a lot easier than it looks.

Just... get used to recognizing the abilities by the icon rather than the name.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I see nothing wrong with meikyo shisui, higanbana, hissatsu: kaiten, midare setsugekka, and hissatsu:shinten :v:

Isn't Shinten the kid from Earthbound Zero?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find Samurai really easy to play TBH. It has a lot of abilities but most of them have a really coherent place to use them. The biggest challenge to me is adjusting to the huge gap between how it plays at 60 and how it plays at 70 due to the massive increasing in kenkai but even that isn't too bad. I could probably be optimizing harder but I have fun with it without too much stress. I find it more relaxing than Bard I think because it's way less random.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

See, Bard I find super easy most of the time (the only real issues outside of adjusting to very occasionally loving up a song change are remembering to use Straight Shot and Iron Jaws before they fall off), while I'm terrible at using Meikyo Shisui and Hagakure on cooldown and keeping Higanbana up.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I cannot remember to iron jaws to save my life.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Who else is hyped for Moonfire Faire and my life is pretty empty.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm lukewarm on moonfire but am excited to hunt a rathalos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm excited for the glams and goofy mounts I'll get from destroying my soul in Eureka 2: Reek Harder.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I need the loving sunglasses to finish my boho chic glam, but am probably going to disappear for several weeks playing MHW.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Level 49 on my Dark Knight now. So close to 50 (which will give me both the quest, which I'm looking forward to, and my set of cool armor). Just gotta suffer through 1 or 2 (likely 2, since I'm just barely into 49) more dungeons.

I'm happy I decided to try tanking. I'm not amazing at it, but I manage to get by okay and it's a nice variation on the DPS roles I've always played in MMOs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have some bad news and it's that DRK/MCH/AST don't get cool 50 armor.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Karasu Tengu posted:

I'm afraid this cat is right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Karasu Tengu posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed to find that the armor I got wasn't the same armor that my...opponent was wearing during the quest.

That was a cool quest, by the way. Were all the other characters seeing the animated corpse of the person, or what? Other scenes implied that I was just speaking all the lines Fray was saying, but apparently I actually fought stuff with Drillemont and others during this quest.

edit: These guys in the follow-up quest are referring to me murdering knights of the Holy See. What are they talking about?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 1, 2018

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Are there any goons playing on Japanese servers?

I'm on Tonberry, where there is a large english speaking population. Kujata is the english server because Tonberry was perma-locked at one point.

There's no goon FC or linkshells however as far as I'm aware.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed to find that the armor I got wasn't the same armor that my...opponent was wearing during the quest.

That was a cool quest, by the way. Were all the other characters seeing the animated corpse of the person, or what? Other scenes implied that I was just speaking all the lines Fray was saying, but apparently I actually fought stuff with Drillemont and others during this quest.

edit: These guys in the follow-up quest are referring to me murdering knights of the Holy See. What are they talking about?

That set comes from clearing the level 60 quest, so you have something to look forward to at least.

Probably the darkside you possessed the actual corpse of Fray for the last quest, and you murdered a whole lot of Temple Knights in the lv30 quest to rescue a kidnapped woman.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's with this adventurer squadron stuff? I just got Second Lieutenant with Maelstrom and unlocked some squadron thing, but I don't know how to send them on quests or get more. I read that you need at least 4 to send them on quests, and I only have 3, but it's not clear how to get more. Do you just randomly get applications as you do challenge log stuff?

Karasu Tengu posted:

That set comes from clearing the level 60 quest, so you have something to look forward to at least.

Probably the darkside you possessed the actual corpse of Fray for the last quest, and you murdered a whole lot of Temple Knights in the lv30 quest to rescue a kidnapped woman.

I like the quest where you violently slaughter a bunch of Qiqirn's (who are presumably reasonably intelligent/sapient beings) just because they stole some goods.

I'm happy that I'm finally done with the endless dungeons and can get back to the MSQ.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Fray is wearing a crafted lvl 60 set, I think it's called the Chivalry set or something.

Ytlaya posted:

What's with this adventurer squadron stuff? I just got Second Lieutenant with Maelstrom and unlocked some squadron thing, but I don't know how to send them on quests or get more. I read that you need at least 4 to send them on quests, and I only have 3, but it's not clear how to get more. Do you just randomly get applications as you do challenge log stuff?

If you complete your challenge log stuff, there's a chance you'll get new recruits showing up at your barracks. There are specific recruits for different parts of the challenge log but the Gold Saucer challenges can get you any recruit.

Oh yeah, and you can use http://ffxivsquadron.com/ to track your squad and help you figure out what training to send them on and what team comp will let you beat a mission.

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Luckily, there are still tons of good MCH armors at 50, just not any for your class quest.