Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Drizvolta posted:

If you complete your challenge log stuff, there's a chance you'll get new recruits showing up at your barracks. There are specific recruits for different parts of the challenge log but the Gold Saucer challenges can get you any recruit.

Oh yeah, and you can use http://ffxivsquadron.com/ to track your squad and help you figure out what training to send them on and what team comp will let you beat a mission.

squadrons are a cool concept and command missions are rad for leveling DPS, but man I wish your recruit limit wasn't so low. I don't care that I wouldn't be using any more than 8 at a time anyway, I want a barracks full of weirdos dammit!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Replaying this hasn't reduced my distaste for Minfilia, but it has given me a newfound appreciation for how much I dislike Alphinaud. Not just because he's a fuckup. I mean as a character. He's so loving boring. What are Alphinaud's hobbies? Where does he live? Which other characters does he like? Dislike? He's a weirdly blank slate for someone we spend so much time with. He's just loving bland. Not as bland as Minfilia, but we also see a lot less of Minfilia. He's more a plot point than a person.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Replaying this hasn't reduced my distaste for Minfilia, but it has given me a newfound appreciation for how much I dislike Alphinaud. Not just because he's a fuckup. I mean as a character. He's so loving boring. What are Alphinaud's hobbies? Where does he live? Which other characters does he like? Dislike? He's a weirdly blank slate for someone we spend so much time with. He's just loving bland. Not as bland as Minfilia, but we also see a lot less of Minfilia. He's more a plot point than a person.

he's a dork who cherishes his firewood collecting techniques and got exceptionally good at art in order to impress girls; and also gets teased by pretty much everyone.

it's admittedly been ages since I did ARR MSQ but in HW/SB he's anything but bland. like, he's subdued, but he's still got A Personality

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 1, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dmboogie posted:

he's a dork who cherishes his firewood collecting techniques and got exceptionally good at art in order to impress girls

it's admittedly been ages since I did ARR MSQ but in HW/SB he's anything but bland. like, he's subdued, but he's still got A Personality
I'm sure there are details I missed. Maybe I just don't like him.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

From the sound of it you’re still in ARR, alphanaud gets much more interesting in HW.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oh no blimp issue posted:

From the sound of it you’re still in ARR, alphanaud gets much more interesting in HW.
I'm just past the Sultana waking up in HW. You're right, he does have more personality, I just wish he was a bit more three-dimensional.

Also this is an alt, I played the game to 70 back in 4.0. I just barely remember most of the plot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm just past the Sultana waking up in HW. You're right, he does have more personality, I just wish he was a bit more three-dimensional.

It improves once you get more characters around to make fun of him, who knew him before he became a leader on the world stage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's known about the next expansion?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's known about the next expansion?

Nothing yet, but we’re probably going to Garlemald.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also this is an alt, I played the game to 70 back in 4.0. I just barely remember most of the plot.

Compared to the rest of the Scions he’s a veritable font of personality, they gave Thancred a personalityectomy in HW and SB for some reason

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Compared to the rest of the Scions he’s a veritable font of personality, they gave Thancred a personalityectomy in HW and SB for some reason
Lahabrea stole it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
He was okay before the costume change. Is he like blind in one eye now, though?

By the way, are there any cool tracks you guys like? I've been listening to some of the Heavensward music on Youtube and my favorites are Night in the Brume and the first dungeon boss theme. It seems like Soken gets even better with Stormblood music, too.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 1, 2018

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My favorite tracks are, with the caveat that these include footage of the fights in question so spoiler alerts, the final boss of StormbloodHEAVENSWARD, the Doma Castle theme, and the one for the latest Primal.

Although I should probably do Alexander one of these days just for the music.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 1, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you got that final boss wrong.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah. Also unable to see/use aether at all. It's only stated once or twice, but it's probably one of the reasons he's avoiding doing big scion business and sticking to side espionage stuff instead, since he probably feels like he can't stand with the WOL now.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
It’s hard to know where to even start with the music in this game because so much of it is amazing, but I’ve been listening to this from Stormblood a lot lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhHZ02nYiA. The yanxia night theme is becoming one of my favorite songs in the game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Nope! When he and Krile infiltrate an enemy castrum, he disguises himself as an imperial soldier. At this point, he doesn't wear his patch and neither eye has any discernible alterations. Earlier, right after he rejoins the Scions, talking to him between quests he mentions ladies dig scars, so this makes it even more confusing. It is true that his aether is compromised though, so he is at a disadvantage in certain circumstances. I think we can all agree that Thancred is a dweeb though.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
All of the scions are huge dweebs. And Alphinaud definitely has a creepy deviantart account.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Nope! When he and Krile infiltrate an enemy castrum, he disguises himself as an imperial soldier. At this point, he doesn't wear his patch and neither eye has any discernible alterations. Earlier, right after he rejoins the Scions, talking to him between quests he mentions ladies dig scars, so this makes it even more confusing. It is true that his aether is compromised though, so he is at a disadvantage in certain circumstances. I think we can all agree that Thancred is a dweeb though.

The fact that he can’t use aether is definitely going to be a plot point in the Garlemald expansion

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Schneider Heim posted:

By the way, are there any cool tracks you guys like? I've been listening to some of the Heavensward music on Youtube and my favorites are Night in the Brume and the first dungeon boss theme. It seems like Soken gets even better with Stormblood music, too.

There's a music ranking thing going on right now that lets you vote on your ten favorite tracks from across all the cds. It sucks because choosing just ten is really freaking hard.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
The correct choice is obviously Exponential Entropy ten times.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Thancred is the best dweeb because it seems like his prime contribution to the cast is to show up every expansion to remind everyone he exists and then gently caress off for the rest of it. This includes ARR.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Glagha posted:

Thancred is the best dweeb because it seems like his prime contribution to the cast is to show up every expansion to remind everyone he exists and then gently caress off for the rest of it. This includes ARR.

Uh also I'm a ninja now. Okay bye!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FactsAreUseless posted:

What are Alphinaud's hobbies? Where does he live? Which other characters does he like? Dislike? He's a weirdly blank slate for someone we spend so much time with. He's just loving bland. Not as bland as Minfilia, but we also see a lot less of Minfilia. He's more a plot point than a person.

Drawing. This comes up in Heavensward and Stormblood, actually.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where does he live?

Normally? I want to say Sharlyan territory or something, but I can't recall. For now, he probably has temporary or permanent residence in The Rising Stones, being the backing of the Scions and all.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which other characters does he like?

Y'shtola, Ysayle, and Estinien spring to mind most immediately.

Ilberd. Seemingly Varis as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Uh also I'm a ninja now. Okay bye!

/

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
bring back horny thancred

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sometimes I regret not paying attention to the story until just barely pre-HW. Then I read stuff like the last couple pages and remain happy with my spark notes versions. In my world, Alphinaud started existing right after his massive slice of humble pie and he's been a solid character since then.

Also I'd like it to be noted that the post-HW patch content was spectacular and I have been listening to Dragonsong a whole loving lot lately

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I had a friend accidentally spoil the Alexander music. I'm slightly disappointed it won't be a genuine surprise, but also now driven to get to the end game as a result. Heh.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Schneider Heim posted:

A song I really like that goes criminally unnoticed is The Maker's Ruin. The set piece where it debuts (Hydaelyn shielding you from Ultima Weapon) is really cool and it's generally reserved for the best climactic fights in the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Safeword posted:

I had a friend accidentally spoil the Alexander music. I'm slightly disappointed it won't be a genuine surprise, but also now driven to get to the end game as a result. Heh.

Alex isn’t endgame anymore.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maker's Ruin is awesome but unfortunately the track itself is pretty short.

The three main expansion end boss themes are all fantastic in their own right, but the use of Heroes in Thordan Ex edges into the lead for me just because when it starts up Thordan is saying "it's ON now, fuckers".

I actually am a bit down on SB's music since it leans too heavily on the Rhalgr's Reach and Kugane themes as leitmotifs, and the primal music is still good but doesn't stick in my head the way the older songs so. Except Beauty's Wicked Wiles. That one I'll put on the list.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 1, 2018

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
any suggestions for a PLD sword and shield to pair with Halone's Mail dyed regal purple? I've been rocking Burtgang for ages but it doesn't fit at all :(

also I finally hit the point where there's no more MSQ to do and it only took just over 800 hours. I may have gotten slightly sidetracked a few times.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

pupuru posted:

any suggestions for a PLD sword and shield to pair with Halone's Mail dyed regal purple? I've been rocking Burtgang for ages but it doesn't fit at all :(

Besides the Sword/Shield of the Fury, which is paired with that already? There's always Curtana. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:emptyquote:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I do it.

Garlemald is still shrouded in clouds on the world map, but Radz-et-Han is not.

Thundarr posted:

Except Beauty's Wicked Wiles. That one I'll put on the list.

:yeah:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

I'm excited for the glams and goofy mounts I'll get from destroying my soul in Eureka 2: Reek Harder.

Oh dear, is that happening in a couple of weeks?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Playing on my main again, catching up on the MSQ. I'm at 4.3? I think I can predict how this story is gonna work out Tsuyu is going to either become a primal or will summon a primal. The chests that Asahi keeps around are full of crystals. I can see this coming just because Hein emphasizes "the writing of the contract is that we have no primals". Asahi is going to make Tsuyu summon one to nullify the contract

I swear if I'm right...

I was right

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leal posted:

I was right

In fairness his plan didn't work out quite how he wanted it to since Asahi came down with a terminal case of the Teledjis and it turns out Maxima isn't interested in continuing the psycho stuff even a second longer now that his crazy boss is gone.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Brainamp posted:

There's a music ranking thing going on right now that lets you vote on your ten favorite tracks from across all the cds. It sucks because choosing just ten is really freaking hard.

I'm amazed that even with all the songs to choose from, it still doesn't have every song in the game. Canticle, the piano theme that usually plays around Alphinaud and Alisae, is missing for some reason. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

If dragonsong isn't on your list your list is bad and wrong.