Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whitewashing Gundam seems especially stupid considering just how varied and multinational the shows often were with their characters. Ryu is a fat mexican man and I won't hear anything else.
Yeah there's some wiggle room but Lalah is explicitly Indian. Really Amuro could be any ethnicity, John Bodega could do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If I recall properly Amuro is supposed to be half Japanese, half Mexican(or Brazilian, can't remember which)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly Amuro is supposed to be half Japanese, half Mexican(or Brazilian, can't remember which)

Depends on the version. The show, the movie, and the Origin all go with different history.

He's half-American (as in USA), half Canadian, or half Mexican depending which one you look at.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on where his home is on the west coast.

Canadian or Mexican are the most likely options because of the placement of California Base in the plot. It takes up a huge majority of the west coast and North America got hit loving hard by Zeon. Amuro's home is near the border of the Zeon/Federation frontline, so it's either north or south of California Base, and he's therefore mexican or Canadian, or American depending on where exactly the line is being drawn.

It also depends on where you consider their battle with garma took place. Some places I've seen say it takes place in Seattle, which would reinforce the British Columbia idea, others say New York, which means they casually crossed the entire breadth of the USA in between episodes. Could even be Japan if we assume that instead of crossing the Pacific they cross the sea of Japan.

Personally I consider it to be British Columbia because that makes Garma dying in Seattle more fitting, as well as explaining why they don't just veer south and make a beeline for Jaburo. There's a giant zeon army base in the way, so they need to cross the Pacific and link up with the Federation in Asia to help with the counterattack at Odessa.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 2, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my personal bet: the movie will include a scene where (either as a setup to the setting, ala OG gundam, or during the climax) a space colony will drop on the statue of liberty or the whitehouse or some other recognizable american landmark

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does UC ever visit the site of the colony that dropped on australia? is there a sick shot (not of a map) of the impossibly huge crater as a mood piece to drive home the existential threat that another colony drop represents?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

does UC ever visit the site of the colony that dropped on australia? is there a sick shot (not of a map) of the impossibly huge crater as a mood piece to drive home the existential threat that another colony drop represents?

A few times. The depictions don't all match up, though.

First one that came to mind was The Plot to Assassinate Gihren chapter 21. It's smaller and less waterlogged than most, but it still has a nice narrative impact.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

my personal bet: the movie will include a scene where (either as a setup to the setting, ala OG gundam, or during the climax) a space colony will drop on the statue of liberty or the whitehouse or some other recognizable american landmark

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with the target of the Colony Drop changing for an adaptation. The Drop itself was what's important in the OYW story, the fact that Sydney and Canberra were erased is little more than a background detail. And most Australians would call it an improvement anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

It’s an entire plot point in Unicorn, IIRC.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ninjewtsu posted:

Early in 0083 they pass over Sydney Crater Bay.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

thanks for the answers guys!

Darth Walrus posted:

drat, i actually watched unicorn so i should probably remember that then, but i don't

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

A few times. The depictions don't all match up, though.

First one that came to mind was The Plot to Assassinate Gihren chapter 21. It's smaller and less waterlogged than most, but it still has a nice narrative impact.

Yeah, it's a nice page.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Ms Era has a father and son fishing in the now lake/bay that the crater formed after the war

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 2, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If I was in charge of the adaption I would do Ms era and frame the personal narrative around the journalists who bled and died to document the war.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Nessus posted:

Yeah there's some wiggle room but Lalah is explicitly Indian. Really Amuro could be any ethnicity, John Bodega could do fine.

I would actually love to see John Boyega in this, because I never bothered to see Pacific Rim 2 but I still want to see him smashing poo poo in a huge robot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no reason that the live-action Gundam couldn't be in the same universe as Pacific Rim

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no reason that the live-action Gundam couldn't be in the same universe as Pacific Rim

Well, I can think of a few but mainly it just feels completely unnecessary to combine two unrelated franchises.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Make an SRW with the Power Rangers movie, Pacific Rim, and American Gundam.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

Well, I can think of a few but mainly it just feels completely unnecessary to combine two unrelated franchises.

"So this new Gundam responds to the pilots intent?"

"yes, we call it the Psychic Communication system. It's actually based of an old technology that was used in the earliest Mobile Suits, in a much more primitive form, of course."

*partially disassembled Jaeger cockpit visible in the background.*

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's certainly possible

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Live Action Gundam should be G Gundam with no mech design changes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had another thought about why there's no chance in hell this is gonna be a straight up live-action adaptation. Look at how Legendary has treated their other big sci-fi franchises, Godzilla and Pacific Rim. Legendary doesn't want just movies, they want brands. They want spin-off comics and books and toys along with the movies. They aren't going to make "Mobile Suit Gundam episodes 1-10 The Movie" and if you want the rest of the story go buy some manga from Viz and some blurays from Right Stuf and some of the currently existing toys.

I guarantee you that Legendary wouldn't have signed up for this if they couldn't make their own little Gundam universe with unique spin-offs that they have control over. Presumably with some degree of approval and profit-sharing or whatever with Sunrise, but still. All comics in the same universe as the Legendary Gundam movie are gonna be giving money to Legendary and be approved by Legendary, or else Legendary wouldn't be doing this.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

"So this new Gundam responds to the pilots intent?"

"yes, we call it the Psychic Communication system. It's actually based of an old technology that was used in the earliest Mobile Suits, in a much more primitive form, of course."

*partially disassembled Jaeger cockpit visible in the background.*

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's certainly possible

Pacific Rim 2 had a Gundam easter egg in it, didn't it? I'd actually love to see a nod to Jaegers in Gundam, nothing major, like a background prop or something, just for shits.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

There's plenty of Gundam in the first one too. GDT explains the Zaku and Guncannon are the inspiration for Cherno Alpha and Coyote Tango, and geeks out over gunpla:

https://youtu.be/nYoAIgjlvL4

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Guillermo Del Toro just seems like the coolest, nicest, dude to hang out with. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pacific Rim and Godzilla didn't have a parent company as stringent as Sunrise or Bandai overseeing the project. Toho seemed more than happy to let Edwards do his own thing with Godzilla as long as he didn't repeat the Emmerich wreck. I don't know if sunrise is that lenient.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
PR2 has the unicorn Gundam statue and I think it's standing in front of Anaheim electronics building?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kingtheninja posted:

PR2 has the unicorn Gundam statue and I think it's standing in front of Anaheim electronics building?

Yeah Anaheim Electronics exists in Pacific Rim.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I think they pass it in the ship at one point in 0083

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

He sits down with kycellia and presents a completely different person from who he really is: a person who feels remorse and regret in murder.

Does he though? I think this is a pretty good example of what I mean, because if you look at that scene I'm not sure anything he says is a lie and I think a good argument can be made that nothing of note is a lie at the very least. During that scene in the TV show for instance he says that he knew that eventually something like this would happen (i.e. someone recognizing him), but he still finds it frightening all the same and then holds up a hand which he says he can't stop shaking. Now, this could actually be a lie since his hand isn't shaking as far as I can tell. It's a pretty inconsequential one though, all told. More importantly, when Kycilia asks why he's given up on killing the Zabis he says that he's found a new goal and that isn't a lie as far as I can determine because after he reappears on a Mad Angler in episode 26 he seems to be focused on killing Amuro above everything; including killing the Zabis. He only kills Kycilia because he came across a chance that Char himself admits he can't let go after his final fight with Amuro. Up till then, he seems completely focused on Amuro.

The movie changes it a little by having Kycilia ask about killing Garma, with Char replying that it made him feel empty; which is entirely plausible since the movie cuts out the episode with Icelina entirely so that the next time we see Char after Garma dies is drinking in a bar. A scene where he seems somewhat morose. It is entirely possible he was being honest in that moment and that he didn't get any kind of fulfillment out of killing Garma, since that doesn't stop him from wanting to press ahead with his revenge when given the chance.

His relationship with Garma is much the same. He holds back some information every now and again, but at no point does he really appear to be presenting a different personality from who we see in private or with people he's more forthright with (like Lalah and Sayla). At the very most, he only spends two or three episodes with Garma and a few minutes with Kycilia during which he adopts a more friendly stance with Garma and a more contrite one with Kycilia and with holds some information. And the friendliess with Garma appears genuine, since even when leading Garma to his death he calls him a friend while the more contrite attitude around Kycilia could just be a function of the fear he mentions. The other 20+ episodes he's on screen there's nothing indicating the mask he adopted isn't who he genuinely is at this point and whatever he was disguising wasn't left behind years ago and unimportant by this point.

ninjewtsu posted:

Amuro-lalah, on the other hand, is 100% a newtype connection, and both of them bemoan how the artifical nature of a relationship suddenly forced by newtype space magic just isn't practical at all: it's too late for lalah, as she already loves char, and it's too early for amuro, as he's a kid and isn't at all in a position to pursue any kind of relationship currently.

I'm curious why you call Amuro a kid, given he's only a year younger than Lalah? The reasons the relationship doesn't work for either is really the same on both sides; they've both already committed to one faction and know that they can't just step away from the war to be with each other because they both have things they value too much to walk away from.

ninjewtsu posted:

Other than maybe artesia, I don't believe casval ever shows genuine affection for another human being again, in his entire life.

There wasn't any real emotion involved, but I was surprised by how relatively open Char was with Dren when I finally watched the TV show. He lets Dren see parts of him that could be dangerous, like telling Dren to pretend his plane was damaged if questioned during the fight between Icelina in a Gaw and the White Base. I'd say Dren is about as close a friend as he has during 0079, but his death doesn't faze Char at all. I'm not even sure how Dren died off-hand.

ninjewtsu posted:

To be honest it's been like 5 years since I've seen zeta so I fully admit I might be forgetting some pretty major stuff about it, but I didn't really get the impression that casval's affection for kamille was genuine, rather than a product of quattro knowing what he SHOULD be doing but kind of being a mess at the whole "don't be a sociopath" thing.

It's been even longer since I've seen Zeta entirely, but I don't recall him ever doing anything that makes him come off as a sociopath loving up his intentions because of a fundamental misunderstanding of what he's trying to do. I think the idea he's a still a sociopath in Zeta, but trying to move away from it is just working backward from his character in Char's Counterattack; to rationalize that period in his life. Any fuckups he makes seem like just regular fuckups when considering Zeta only within it's own context or even when considering it purely as a sequel to 0079 and not viewing it in light of Char's Counterattack. The only things that might lean towards it that I recall are right at the end, like him wondering about whether cyber augmentation is necessary since nature takes too long and his scene with Haman and Paptimus in the theater in the last episode that seem to foreshadow his actions in Char's Counterattack, and even then they don't really have any kind of sinister tone on their own.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Lalah is the only person to whom he ever felt a genuine connection (in large part because of newtype empathy)

He never seems to have any Newtype relationship with Lalah to me, only a more "traditional" relationship based on shared history and mutual feelings rather than an innate connection and understanding like Amuro had with Lalah. When they're traveling through Texas Lalah starts giggling when she feels Amuro "touching" her mind and thinks it's Char, telling him like it's a new thing that he's never done and Char reacting in confusion to reinforce that he's never done anything like that. I'm pretty sure she tells Amuro that she will defend and fight for Char because he rescued her rather than because of any Newtype connection too. Char isn't even sure he's a Newtype when he gets in the Zeong an episode after she dies.

Yinlock posted:

he kiiinda tries to connect with Amuro, but it ends up a twisted mess that destroys everyone involved much like every other time he's done anything

I like the idea that after what happened in Zeta, that Amuro was about the only person left that Char considered a friend and his actions in Char's Counterattack kind of reflect that. He never seems entirely antagonistic toward Amuro and instead seems to be trying to convince Amuro to join him near the end of the film despite the fact that they're fighting a duel over an asteroid he's pushing towards Earth. He still can't get over the fact that Amuro beat him and wants to prove himself the better pilot as well as forcibly push Contolism but despite that difference in ideals he seems to want Amuro to share those ideals rather than kill him.

Darth Walrus posted:

The helmet is a perfectly normal Zeon officer’s helmet. The mask is the only unusual part.

Do we ever see another Zeon officer wearing something similar?

ninjewtsu posted:

Did char ever talk to kycillia personally, before he murdered garma and kycillia figured out he was casval anyway?

No; the first scene they have together is Kycilia confronting him with knowledge of his identity. He's never even in the same vicinity as her before that to have had some meetings off screen. He starts off the show working under Dozle and infiltrating Side 7 on his way back to Side 3 to find out more information on the secret Federation project so he can impress Dozle and have a better chance of meeting the Zabis (other than Garma) in person, then chases the White Base to Earth; before being demoted for letting Garma die and disappearing for 15 or so episodes. After which he reappears in (or at least, near) Ireland on a Mad Angler, again chasing the White Base. He follows it to Jaburo, then up in to space and docks at Side 6 before heading towards Side 3. He finally meets Kycilia there, who seems to have only recently figured out his identity anyway, since she says it was the fact he sent Lalah to the Flanagan Institute for study that tipped her off.

Omnicrom posted:

I seem to recall in the original Gundam one of the Zeonic mooks implied that everyone just assumed that Char was horribly scarred under his mask and decided not to ask about it.

This happens in the TV show and movie too to my knowledge. Once he's had his sword fight with Amuro and talk with Sayla he meets a dying Zeon soldier in a hallway, who asks him to protect Kycilia and then comments on how they all thought Char had a scar or something when he sees Char's face before dying.

Caros posted:

Your suggestion does the same sort of thing, but four times. If you look at most trilogies, you'll notice that each film is more or less self contained in terms of its main plot, even poo poo like twilight has a beginning, middle and end, a central conflict for the individual work that gets resolved by the end of the story, even though sequel hooks exist. A four part Gundam series played mostly straight would be a loving mess because it isn't a story designed to be chopped into four individual entries.

I think you could, theoretically, split the story of 0079 up in to 4 movies with each having some growth on Amuro's part while also providing a narrative of it's own and some kind of closure.

Movie I: As suggested you could basically do the first 10 episodes, up to Garma's death with the basic narrative focusing more on procuring safety for the random citizens so that the death of Garma and the defeat of the California Base could be painted as clearing the way for all the civilians to safely depart the White Base. That would be the narrative win and climax of the story, while Amuro's development would focus on him committing to becoming a pilot and developing enough skill to help procure a win in the finale.

Movie II: Do the Ramba Ral arc with Amuro deserting during the first half of the film, while the back half concentrates on Odessa with that battle being the narrative climax of the White Base finally winning a battle that gives them some reprieve after being on the run and barely able to pause for a second the whole movie; while Amuro's story is about his conflict with Bright and how that divides the crew, finally reuniting over Ryu's death in time for Odessa.

Movie III: Start it with Jaburo, then move on to finish with Solomon. If you wanted to get a little fancy you could do like Marvel did with Infinity War and have this story be told more from Char's point of view as he invades Jaburo, then recruits Lalah to defeat the increasingly skilled and overwhelming Amuro; with Lalah dying in the climax at Solomon instead of a few episodes later. It's also during this part of the show that we learn about Char's history, which would lend extra weight if the story was focusing on him. If you wanted a more traditional focus on Amuro, he has some conflict with the EF during Jaburo, angry at how they dismissed Ryu's death and you could play up the independence of Side 6 to focus more on how this reflects on the Federation and have it be about him coming to terms with fighting for them. Which Lalah is good for really, since one of her points with Amuro was that he had nothing to fight for. You could have this come up with him eventually deciding he's fighting for his friends and okay with the Federation despite their faults because they're better than Zeon or whatever.

Movie IV: A Baoa Qu and Amuro finally realizing focusing on Char is fruitless before being forced to confront him regardless.

That doesn't really address your point about how the movies would be drawn out over at least half a decade despite the story being intended to be told over one year though, so if they did want to recreate 0079 in some fashion I think they'd do better to have it play out over a longer time frame; maybe even have the story start with the start of the war and play out over one year instead of just three months. Doing that would allow you to start the story off with the colony drop too; which is a pretty spectacular set piece. Plus, if you have Amuro and the White Base be survivors of Island Iffish it makes them much more immediately sympathetic. Additionally, the re-entry battle takes on much higher stakes if it's fought over a falling colony which drops despite them. It's a much more dour note to end your first film on, but man it'd be memorable and gives the story a hell of a sequel hook.

Midjack posted:

lol if you think there's going to be more than one of these.

As long as it breaks roughly equal I imagine they'll at least make two, and my understanding on a quick look is that some bigger Hollywood films make $100 million - $200 million in Japan alone looking at the Japanese box office numbers. I can't imagine the movie won't make at least that much in Japan alone, so I think it'll break even on budget at the very least with a somewhat cheaper sequel to make a second effort a la Pacific Rim: Uprising if it doesn't hit big.

Nessus posted:

I wonder if they'll whitewash Lalah.

It's kind of funny that some more conservative leaning places seem to be worried they'll make a lot of the cast multicultural and diverse (despite that being part of 0079), while others are worried there'll be whitewashing of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Lalah wasn't Indian, or if Ryu wasn't Mexican; but I would be surprised if there wasn't a good bit of diversity even assuming they keep the 0079 cast. Their exact ethnicities and genders don't really matter; Lalah could be Latin or Inuit or something and it'd be fine really. Her being Indian has no impact, beyond being visually distinct.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it? What plot point is that then, cause I don't recall anything about the colony drop beyond Banagher mentioning it when debating that one guy during the dinner scene at Palau.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pacific Rim and Godzilla didn't have a parent company as stringent as Sunrise or Bandai overseeing the project. Toho seemed more than happy to let Edwards do his own thing with Godzilla as long as he didn't repeat the Emmerich wreck. I don't know if sunrise is that lenient.

Yea, Sunrise seems like they're a lot more protective of their brand and stringent on the exact path they envision for it. Back in the mid 90s for instance, they apparently insisted that Toonami air 0079 after Wing because they wanted to push UC as fast as possible since UC had the most merchandise and was the most profitable and they wanted to recreate that market in America. Now, maybe they've changed in the two decades since; but I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Is it? What plot point is that then, cause I don't recall anything about the colony drop beyond Banagher mentioning it when debating that one guy during the dinner scene at Palau.

They had to take the Unicorn there to unlock the location of the Box. Remember the attack on Torrington Base? That's what that was about

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was Torrington at Australia? I honestly don't even remember that coming up. I assume they at least have a pan over the crater then in that case, but it's completely slipped my mind if they did. I'll have to see if I can find it on the TV episodes on YouTube or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Laplace program was meant to be a tour of all the atrocities committed in the universal century. Torrington was built around the ruins of Sydney as a training facility for Mobile suit pilots, hence why it was chosen for the coordinates.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Char’s helmet is a midpoint between Dren’s and Kycilia’s, so it seems reasonable to assume that the design is an indicator of rank rather than something unique to him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kai Shuden, despite his name, is Puerto Rican.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Michael Cera as Amuro

Stephen Fry as Bright

Lalah will be a random Chinese actress to ensure theater release in China.

Andy Serkis mocaps and voices a Haro

Danny DeVito as Char

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zhang Ziyi as Lalah you uncultured swine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Comedy option: Priyanka Chopra as Lalah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

John Goodman as Degwin Zabi.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017