Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

people of every colour can be racist, but at the end of the day they're just an angry person who isn't white which means they're far more likely to get arrested than have any effect on society... which is to say, sadly, why give a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tsyni posted:

I mean, surely this is a reaction to white people saying things like, "those Mexicans hate whites!!" but... Still seems like a dumb thing to say.

The idea that you can't be racist against a non-minority group seems false just on definition. I'm always troubled when I hear it repeated. Maybe someone has a compelling argument?

I obviously don't think racism against whites is a pressing issue right now.

It's basically two separate things (which is why I've split your post into two quotes). The first is a semantic argument where going by definition, yes, obviously people can technically be "racist" against white people because racism is just about judging someone based on a superficial quality shared by a group rather than their actions as an individual.

The second is about privilege, where the argument is more that because white people are such a privileged group, racism against white people doesn't actually matter because it has no meaningful consequences for them. Meanwhile racism against minority groups absolutely DOES have significant consequences for a lot of people.

When people are making the semantic argument as a serious point, it's usually a disingenuous attempt to equate "some people said some mean things about white people on facebook" and "black people are being murdered by cops who then face no consequences" as being morally equivalent.

To add to The Cheshire Cat's post. I've heard, and think about it this way:

Anyone can be prejudiced against any other group. So, a member of any group can be prejudiced against white people. Racism is a specific form of prejudice that involves power-structures and broader systems of oppression. Thus, you can't be racist towards white people in places where white people hold the power.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Eej posted:

The only reason we're hearing about this now is that Chinese people stayed out of politics most of the time but now times are a changing and now white people get to hear what us kids have always heard for all of our lives around the dinner table

No, I remember hearing about extreme anti-immigration politics being used to pander to Chinese voters during the Harper years.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Anti-immigration policies to appease chinese voters have been a thing since the Mulroney days.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

berenzen posted:

Anti-immigration policies to appease chinese voters have been a thing since the Mulroney days.

I’m not old enough to remember that. What did he do?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

http://reappropriate.co/2018/05/reconnecting-heart-and-head-racism-immigration-policy-wechat-and-chinese-americans/

I mean, it's not Canada but it's be stupid to say this isn't happening here too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

He introduces a 'business-class' immigration policy, which preferred wealthy individuals. With the shift in immigration demographics from people of European descent to Asian descent that occurred in the 80s, it meant that it was mostly Chinese businessmen trying to escape from communist china instead of blue collar workers coming from Asian countries. It's a huge reason why there's a lot of conservative first-generation immigrants; you have a whole generation of immigrants that despise the concept of communism or anything that has even a slight leftist bent, because it's a huge reason why they immigrated here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The NYtimes had an article about immigration with some info and Canada has roughly 22% of its population as immigrants, which puts us near the top of the list. I wonder how much further we can go as a nation before resentment hits the point where reactionary sentiment can be drummed up and things go really south. It already seems to be happening with only the slightest uptick in pressure.

A lot of that has to do with the discourse around migrants, immigrants, and refugees these days, I get that. But I wonder if left-wingers need to take a long hard look at immigration policy and figure out how much any given nation can take on without diminishing social services for the people who already live in the country. I think it's our country's moral duty to take in those who have been displaced, but I'm skeptical - as Helsing posted a while ago - about justifying immigration and refugees as a form of economic stimulus. At the very least I don't think it should be thought in those terms because it seems like it could backfire.

Canada seems to have done a better job in having stricter requirements for immigration than in the US to some extent, actively recruiting people with skills and capital from other country so we shift the wealth and knowledge from to our own with obvious benefits. And historically Canada has brought in tons of immigrants - we had over a million immigrants to Canada in 1912 when the population was less than 8 million people. But then we had the slaughter of the First World War to temper that growth and there was quite a bit of social and political unrest in the process.

It seems fashionable on the liberal and left side of politics to advocate for open borders, where, admittedly, 'open borders' has a variety of definitions. I can't really get behind it. We accept the destructive power of free trade, but when we think about the free movement of people - labour - we gloss over it for moral reasons. I'm not a hardline Marxist or anything as to just think of human beings in those terms, but I do wonder how long our current system can sustain the uptick in immigration without a complete revolt from people who got here earlier or our institutions start to buckle under the strain. The obvious solution is to increase spending across the board, actually give institutions and ministries enough money that they can develop better systems to bring people in, but we're stuck in stasis when it comes to taxation and spending. No one wants to foot the bill.

I don't have any answers beyond advocating for a broader approach to immigration that begins with opposing any kind of imperialist interference in the affairs of other countries, as well as a comprehensive approach to tackle climate change as both are big causes of forced migration. Dunking on people who ought to know better than to suddenly develop an anti-immigrant approach to their politics (I mean seriously guys) is fun but there's bigger problems behind these extremely Canadian displays of anti-immigrant sentiment.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

most were from hong kong, so there was also a tradition of political involvement. not particularly on the organizational level, but definitely aware of what being a part of the 'donor class' meant and how to leverage that.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Extremely naive here, but just thinking of potential solutions to this “migrant crisis “. I’m thinking an international accord where first, the UN would be responsible for certifying a refugee claimant as someone genuinely requiring asylum. Then, every country in the world is required to accept a certain number corresponding to its population. Your percentage increases if you are actively involved in a war with said people, so the US would need to accept more migrants due to its involvement in Iraq, for example.

You could even have a system where the point of origin and country of destination are shuffled so no one is able to say “too many drat “x” people in our city!”. Families would get to move together though.

Again, it’s obvious that this could never happen, take it as speculative fiction. I need to take a break from the negative after reading the natpo comment section to the article Helsing posted.

Also, I ran into the leader of Quebec Solidaire , maybe the truest leftist political party in Canada right now. We had a nice conversation :).

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dreylad posted:

A lot of that has to do with the discourse around migrants, immigrants, and refugees these days, I get that. But I wonder if left-wingers need to take a long hard look at immigration policy and figure out how much any given nation can take on without diminishing social services for the people who already live in the country. I think it's our country's moral duty to take in those who have been displaced, but I'm skeptical - as Helsing posted a while ago - about justifying immigration and refugees as a form of economic stimulus. At the very least I don't think it should be thought in those terms because it seems like it could backfire.

Immigrants aren't diminishing social services. The wealthy are being taxed significantly less than they used to be, and that is diminishing social services. For a lot of social services, recent migrants aren't even entitled to them.

You've been sucked into that false discourse you yourself acknowledges exists, then and then talk as if it's true anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ARACHTION posted:

You could even have a system where the point of origin and country of destination are shuffled so no one is able to say “too many drat “x” people in our city!”. Families would get to move together though.

That sounds awful. Sure, shuffle everything around so that refugees feel even more isolated from their own culture and other people who understand what they've been through -- what could go wrong with that???

How 'bout we just tell butthurt nativists to suck it up and quit their bitching?

And immigrants are not draining our social services in any meaningful fashion -- most immigrants, regardless of why and how they've come to be here, want to be productive people who contribute to our country just like most people do not actually want to be a net drain on society.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 4, 2018

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

That sounds awful. Sure, shuffle everything around so that refugees feel even more isolated from their own culture and other people who understand what they've been through -- what could go wrong with that???

How 'bout we just tell butthurt nativists to suck it up and quit their bitching?

I agree, and saw this as a downside. Then how do we actually convince people that we can afford to accept more refugees than we currently are? We are currently accepting such a small amount and like 40% or more (i forgot the percentage in that horrifying study) of the country thinks we should stop altogether. How does the left win this battle?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm torn because on the one hand most immigrants are a net economic gain for the receiving country and pay more in taxes than they cost in social services just like most people in general and they grow the economy and they're young and support our aging population pyramid and that's a very compelling counterargument to the narrative that immigrants are leeches on the taxpayer but on the other hand I think it's morally wrong and insanely neoliberal to frame immigration in that way as if the only thing that should determine whether we allow something or not is if it is economically productive and maximally efficient in the market because some things are just the morally and socially right thing to do whether or not they're economically efficient like for example we should be able to make the moral case for allowing refugees even if they weren't economically efficient because we're an insanely wealthy civilization and we can afford to help out people who are suffering the consequences of our economic and environmental rape of the planet but that moral case is a lot harder to make than just agreeing to the economy-above-all framing and saying yeah well actually immigration is good for the economy.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

People who don't understand statistics are worried about immigration without understanding numbers. Remember, people are scared of formulas.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

Immigrants aren't diminishing social services. The wealthy are being taxed significantly less than they used to be, and that is diminishing social services. For a lot of social services, recent migrants aren't even entitled to them.

You've been sucked into that false discourse you yourself acknowledges exists, then and then talk as if it's true anyway.

The wealthy are being taxed significantly less than they used to be diminishing social services, and new immigrants strain what resources currently exist. It's not a false discourse, it's a series of statements we can all accept as true. The implication that I'm blaming the latter group here isn't needed.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I'm surprised that anyone thinks that conservatives care about math and statistics, much less facts at this point in the History of Mankind.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I'm surprised that anyone thinks that conservatives care about math and statistics, much less facts at this point in the History of Mankind.

Who is the solid Math and Statistics vote?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

I'm torn because on the one hand most immigrants are a net economic gain for the receiving country and pay more in taxes than they cost in social services just like most people in general and they grow the economy and they're young and support our aging population pyramid and that's a very compelling counterargument to the narrative that immigrants are leeches on the taxpayer but on the other hand I think it's morally wrong and insanely neoliberal to frame immigration in that way as if the only thing that should determine whether we allow something or not is if it is economically productive and maximally efficient in the market because some things are just the morally and socially right thing to do whether or not they're economically efficient like for example we should be able to make the moral case for allowing refugees even if they weren't economically efficient because we're an insanely wealthy civilization and we can afford to help out people who are suffering the consequences of our economic and environmental rape of the planet but that moral case is a lot harder to make than just agreeing to the economy-above-all framing and saying yeah well actually immigration is good for the economy.

I see your point, but I think we can frame it as a good thing from a lot of different points of view. It's both the morally correct thing to do, and the economically correct thing to do. It is such a good thing to do for so many reasons that it is abhorrent and stupid to oppose it, that's the point I think we should drive home.

ARACHTION posted:

We are currently accepting such a small amount and like 40% or more (i forgot the percentage in that horrifying study) of the country thinks we should stop altogether. How does the left win this battle?

hosed if I know. I'm sick of this idea that we need to coddle morons and slow-walk them to the process of not being an awful human being. Every time they spout bullshit, just say "no, you're wrong, that's not true." Do not allow them to lie, do not allow them to speak.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/1025455880236675072?s=19

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

CBC posted:

The government is hoping to get brewers on board by launching what it calls a "buck-a-beer challenge" with incentives for those who cut prices to $1, the source said.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

The Butcher posted:

That's noble but probably a little bit too utopian to be practical. We aren't post-scarcity yet in many different areas.

A 100% open door policy just doesn't make sense logistically.

i think it's arrogant to assume everyone would move to canada if we let them. did all of poland move to england when they joined the eu?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

:jebstare:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

People who don't understand statistics are worried about immigration without understanding numbers. Remember, people are scared of formulas.

MaryamMonsefElectoralReform.jpg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh gently caress Ontario Government is going to subsidize Molson. Even more than it already does.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hahaha "buck a beer"*

*the rest of the price comes from your taxes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

hahaha "buck a beer"*

*the rest of the price comes from your taxes

Lets give them credit for at least knowing how bad the average Ontario voter is at understanding taxes and subsidies.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Dreylad posted:

The NYtimes had an article about immigration with some info and Canada has roughly 22% of its population as immigrants, which puts us near the top of the list. I wonder how much further we can go as a nation before resentment hits the point where reactionary sentiment can be drummed up and things go really south. It already seems to be happening with only the slightest uptick in pressure.

it's not recent immigrants to canada 'diminishing social services'. in 2016 canada admitted 296000 temporary foreign workers, 156000 permanent residents on economic entrant visas (which means be definition they already had a decent to great job here), 78000 as family entrants and 68000 refugees. if you do the math the refugees were covered by the tfws alone

quote:

It seems fashionable on the liberal and left side of politics to advocate for open borders, where, admittedly, 'open borders' has a variety of definitions. I can't really get behind it. We accept the destructive power of free trade, but when we think about the free movement of people - labour - we gloss over it for moral reasons.

i mean this in the politest way but you're a loving moron. free trade is destructive BECAUSE we don't have free movement. when your job can go overseas but you can't follow you get hosed.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

hosed if I know. I'm sick of this idea that we need to coddle morons and slow-walk them to the process of not being an awful human being. Every time they spout bullshit, just say "no, you're wrong, that's not true." Do not allow them to lie, do not allow them to speak.

I agree with no platforming and also arguing for immigration as a net gain as well as a humanitarian one. That said, there seems to be a magic number where more immigration becomes unacceptable to most of the population. What worries me is that especially with American political discourse having the Overton window moved massively to the right, that magic number has dropped to something irrationally.

I think I saw this idea in this thread but I would 100% support giving people over 65 a large universal income with the condition that they lose the right to vote.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ARACHTION posted:

I think I saw this idea in this thread but I would 100% support giving people over 65 a large universal income with the condition that they lose the right to vote.

Seems pretty expensive compared to figuring out a way to get the other 4 out of 10 voters under age 44 to just show up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ARACHTION posted:

I agree with no platforming and also arguing for immigration as a net gain as well as a humanitarian one. That said, there seems to be a magic number where more immigration becomes unacceptable to most of the population. What worries me is that especially with American political discourse having the Overton window moved massively to the right, that magic number has dropped to something irrationally.

The magic number is a creation of brainworms and racism, there is no reason to treat it as anything worth discussing. Immigration* will always be too high for some segment of idiots even when they directly benefit from it, so why pretend there's some value in appeasing them?

* Notice, specifically, how often you hear about the problems created by immigration from Europe and the US. It's "never" and the reason is that no one is actually concerned about immigration, they are concerned about having to deal with people who aren't white. They can all gently caress straight off to some sun-baked desert shithole in the States run as a fiefdom by some fat racist wankstain like Joe Arpaio, for all I give a poo poo at this point.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Gonna go and give a somewhat hot take and blame communism. The fuckers ended up giving us a generation of immigrants who are naturally predisposed to hate any form of social governance because they have an ancestral memory of the Red Guard stealing their farm 70 years ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

The magic number is a creation of brainworms and racism, there is no reason to treat it as anything worth discussing. Immigration* will always be too high for some segment of idiots even when they directly benefit from it, so why pretend there's some value in appeasing them?

* Notice, specifically, how often you hear about the problems created by immigration from Europe and the US. It's "never" and the reason is that no one is actually concerned about immigration, they are concerned about having to deal with people who aren't white. They can all gently caress straight off to some sun-baked desert shithole in the States run as a fiefdom by some fat racist wankstain like Joe Arpaio, for all I give a poo poo at this point.

No, back in 2012(?) there were a lot of people complaining about the Roma diaspora and we had a large influx of refugees being settled within the span of a few months.

I mean, obviously for the same reasons, but they were whiteish Europeans

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

Lets give them credit for at least knowing how bad the average Ontario voter is at understanding taxes and subsidies.

Can we finally have pharmacare if we roll it into straight out Ralphbucks handouts?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.thestar.com/amp/opinion/star-columnists/2018/08/03/donald-trump-should-sue-doug-ford-for-royalties.html

Fangs out at the Toronto Star today

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Irregular border crossers aren't doing it because they're dastardly people flouting the law. It's because we have to process an asylum claim if it's made on our territory. The Safe Third Party agreement is a treaty between the US and Canada that agrees that neither party will allow people to cross the border from the other country to claim asylum except in specific situations. Basically, people have to claim asylum in whichever of the two countries they land in first, and we stop them from doing it by denying them entry into the second country.

Weirdly, people are a bit terrified of seeking asylum in the US right now, so legitimate asylum seekers are trying to get around this. If they can cross the border, they're entitled to make a claim, so they understandably do that.

People are crossing the border irregularly and then immediately reporting to the border services. The thing that's being broken is a US/Canada treat, not some criminal law. There's no crime here.

One of the exceptions to the agreement is in relation to family members. They can cross from one country to the other to make a claim so that you don't have a situation where half a family lands in Canada and has to claim there and the other half lands in the US and has to claim there. It's to avoid splitting families of these vulnerable groups.

The real lesson is that we should suspend the Safe Third Party agreement for as many situations as possible until the US relaxes on the human rights abuses a little bit. It makes us complicit.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 4, 2018

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Also, putting up barriers to helping refugees in the face of increasing human rights abuses basically always puts you on the wrong side of history.

If we don't change course on this, it could easily become another thing that the Canadian government ends up giving a weak, insincere apology for long after all the victims are deal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I used to like Heather Mallick but somewhen she just slid down the hole of liberal handwringing and started writing about feminism going too far. Just gross.

And yeah TC. I completely agree but suspending Safe Third Country would be an incredible shitshow, both here and abroad. It’s the kind of thing a real leader would do though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

T.C. posted:

The total number of asylum seekers in Canada last year made up 8/10ths of 1 percent of total immigrants. That's not accepted asylum seekers, that's everyone processed including irregular border crossers.

Irregular border crossers aren't doing it because they're dastardly people flouting the law. It's because we have to process an asylum claim if it's made on our territory. The Safe Third Party agreement is a treaty between the US and Canada that agrees that neither party will allow people to cross the border from the other country to claim asylum except in specific situations. Basically, people have to claim asylum in whichever of the two countries they land in first, and we stop them from doing it by denying them entry into the second country.

Weirdly, people are a bit terrified of seeking asylum in the US right now, so legitimate asylum seekers are trying to get around this. If they can cross the border, they're entitled to make a claim, so they understandably do that.

People are crossing the border irregularly and then immediately reporting to the border services. The thing that's being broken is a US/Canada treat, not some criminal law. There's no crime here.

One of the exceptions to the agreement is in relation to family members. They can cross from one country to the other to make a claim so that you don't have a situation where half a family lands in Canada and has to claim there and the other half lands in the US and has to claim there. It's to avoid splitting families of these vulnerable groups.

The real lesson is that we should suspend the Safe Third Party agreement for as many situations as possible until the US relaxes on the human rights abuses a little bit. It makes us complicit.

Have you heard how the Canadian Navy is complicit in torture of drug mules in the Caribbean by US CBP? Or those times we'd hand over POWs knowing they explicitly be renditioned by the US?

Not exactly a new phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011