Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ekuNNN posted:

edit, Also:

So...he won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Love me some horse milk.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

So...he won?

dude deserves a better headline then, those things are big

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

So...he won?

'nearly lost' is understatement of the century if this dude just beat a 3/4 ton animal in a fight.

However, I think they meant 'nearly lost [his own dumbass life]'.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/jLwmlP1.mp4

Fireworks factory in Mexico exploded.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
man gently caress those lame 4th of july displays, lets set off one of those factories once a year instead

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dude alright?

Peak capitalism e-mailing HR while concussed.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jLwmlP1.mp4

Fireworks factory in Mexico exploded.

Now they'll NEVER get there!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Sagebrush posted:

ageism (against old people) isn't a real thing fyi, except in like silicon valley style bro startups

95% of the time when someone complains about being discriminated against because they're old, it's actually because they're incompetent

which sucks, especially if your brain has too many holes to retrain to the new ways of working, but like, well, too bad

Spoken like one of the kids I'm always cleaning up after

Counterpoint: For every actual awesome new kid, there are 19 who arrogantly charge ahead and produce an amazing amount of poo poo that has only partial relevance to the actual problem

They pat themselves on the back for being 'smarter' while basically just wasting a ton of time, lots of sound and fury signifying nothing

Ageism is a thing because of the cult of youth, and very expensive seniors who still kick rear end being unappreciated by bean counters who only see the dollar signs on the paycheck and not the consistently solid work

That's just as valid and true as your rant - amazing, the world is complex and more than one thing can be true at the same time

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

JB50 posted:

Toyota did something similar to this in their Toyota Team Europe Turbo Celica cheat of 1995., but it was infinitely mare clever.

The brilliant part of Toyota’s cheaty turbo was that when the part was removed and inspected, it appeared to be a completely normal, rules-compliant turbo with a restrictor plate. The difference was, though, that when the part was installed, the very act of installation changed the internal geometry of the part.

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-best-racing-cheat-of-all-time-worked-1792828060

This is highly interesting stuff, and probably partly why test cheating was kind of overlooked by everyone(with engineers and designs from racing to mass manufacturing, as well as cribbing racing innovation to make more out of assembly line vehicles)

Now if they could just implement all the actual innovations instead of just the rules circumvention, that would be great

ekuNNN posted:

edit, Also:

:suspense:

thoughts and prayers posted:

Ageism is a thing because of the cult of youth,

For every OSHA reason to not hire olds, including costs and lack of facilitating the aging workforce and their bad knees/osteoporosis/whatever, there's a half dozen non-OSHA reasons, and all of them involve "old people are expensive/not worth the investment/just going to cause problems" and "suckering a younger workforce into undervaluing their contribution".

There's factors to both sides--old people being senile or not tech-savvy enough to be part of a modern workforce, and young people being gung-ho self-destructive and not giving deference to safety practices that would contribute to them even being an old--but not blaming corporate management for loving over everyone below a certain line of executive elitism is why these arguments even exist today.

Oh, also, not letting old people explain to young people why they need to not let employers gently caress over the workforce based on their decades of firsthand experience is a very good reason to kick them all out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up and die already.

Take the capitalism with you.

E: old people refuse to accept they can become bad at a job, on the whole.

Young people make dumb mistakes that waste time and effort, on the whole.

Neither side's bitching and moaning invalidates the other's complaints. People from both subsets of workers can be loving wrong and right.

I doubt either wants to work with people from the opposite generation, especially when they're potentially considered peers.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 4, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
gently caress I'm sorry I got mad. It's just so frustrating because trade schools and labor unions figured out how to qualify a worker's skillset years ago, but businesses found it really useful to pit the working-class against itself, and we've been dealing with this toxic othering bullshit for decades.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Wasabi the J posted:

I doubt either wants to work with people from the opposite generation, especially when they're potentially considered peers.

I did say that other rant was valid

Just not the whole story

And some of my favorite teachers are way younger than me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Something tells me this wouldn't work very well in practice.

https://i.imgur.com/jSCWx9X.mp4

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
a lot of younger people also totally dismiss the social elements of doing business and still naively think business is/should be solely a capitalist meritocracy, while a 50 year old with bad knees or w/e will sit and jabber and make a customer feel good.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

-spend fifty years voting to destroy worker protections, unions, the New Deal, etc, etc
-get shitcanned for someone younger
-???
-AGEISM!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The pilots exploding into a fireball on the windows xp background is a nice touch

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thatguy posted:

a lot of younger people also totally dismiss the social elements of doing business and still naively think business is/should be solely a capitalist meritocracy, while a 50 year old with bad knees or w/e will sit and jabber and make a customer feel good.

I'm a 25 year old with bad knees and I do that :colbert:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress I'm sorry I got mad. It's just so frustrating because trade schools and labor unions figured out how to qualify a worker's skillset years ago, but businesses found it really useful to pit the working-class against itself, and we've been dealing with this toxic othering bullshit for decades.

I just did a new hire orientation for my union with a bunch of 20-something engineers and they were all stoked on the poo poo I was telling them. One even stayed after and asked how he could get more involved.

We also had a layoff callback dude pipe up and basically say “this is super important guys. I didn’t think so until I got laid off and the only reason I’m here now is because of priority callbacks that the union bargained for.”

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
One of the local unions just got through with a strike - lockout and voted to authorize another. Besides the usual pay and benefits issues, one of the big concerns is workplace safety -- security personnel and other staff are injured regularly and there's high turnover. The young workers are really active in the union, several were strike captains and more hold offices. Pretty cool. Wish my last workplace had been organized.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byzantine posted:

-spend fifty years voting to destroy worker protections, unions, the New Deal, etc, etc
-get shitcanned for someone younger
-???
-AGEISM!!

bad post. Old people didn't do that. Right-wing people did, bought by rich people's propaganda.
It's a class war, age has nothing to do with it and it's counter-productive to pretend it does.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ultimate in airframe parachutes that cut costs by saving only half the plane, none of the flight crew and sacrificing structural integrity.

How much Chinese money have they scammed so far?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I want to print this poster and hang them in random places.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

dog nougat posted:

Love me some horse milk.

it's unsafe to drink horse milk unless you ferment it into booze
I mean it's not toxic but it will make you poo poo yourself if you drink it straight off the mare

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSHA: No War but Class War

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I want to print this poster and hang them in random places.

:allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That one that caught fire and then started venting smoke out the turbine tip was very pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/Xiw9IHj.mp4

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh poor ol’ Willis, thought of flies and died.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Possibly dumb question: why didn't the industry squeal? Liability for being a whistleblower? THANKS OBAMA
At the time they didn’t know how they were cheating, just that they were. They also didn’t have proof, just hearsay and discrepancies.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Wasn't it the case that the first gen of clever cheating was doing thing like detecting when the hood was open during a drive cycle and putting the engine into 'pass the text mode' beCause that was how the teSt's were initially run?
Yeah hood open and accelerometers IIRC abut it’s been a while.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

the size of those parachutes haha

(whoops, missed the jets that appeared out of literally nowhere - how many passengers does this thing carry again?)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Isn't this one of those asinine Dahir Insaat "innovative design" videos? There's a shitload of these, each more impractical than the next.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Nah, whoever made that had a sense of humor, dahir insaat is dead serious.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What's the story behind this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

What's the story behind this?

Someone winched it up there for unknown reasons.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

like an MIT prank

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sagebrush posted:

"manager" is the baby boomer participation trophy, prove me wrong

i got my first manager title at 26 :catbert:

schmug
May 20, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i got my first manager title at 26 :catbert:

McDonald's doesn't count