Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember Cash For Clunkers? It kinda sucked but was really popular and easy to explain

How did that get past the Democrat brain trust that makes everything terrible?

it was a handout to the car industry, not a genuine attempt to help people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

hillary had a very large field operation with tons of offices and staff, it wasn't just a website

Unions offering to knock on doors got told to go home.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hillary had a very large field operation with tons of offices and staff, it wasn't just a website

I'm sure she opened a ton of offices and had a lot of staffers on the payroll, however when it came to basic campaigning and GOTV her offices actively turned away canvassers and refused to give out yard signs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the hillary campaign was the scam from the producers but they actually succeeded in failing

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Unions offering to knock on doors got told to go home.
If you think about it that might've been a smart move for the campaign as the unions might've discovered that she was dogshit more so than they knew

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I'm sure she opened a ton of offices and had a lot of staffers on the payroll, however when it came to basic campaigning and GOTV her offices actively turned away canvassers and refused to give out yard signs.

they knocked millions of doors, somehow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

trump is president and republicans control the senate and congress but yes, hillary clinton ran a good campaign

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the hillary field program was bad but it wasn't that bad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

found the fuckup

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember Cash For Clunkers? It kinda sucked but was really popular and easy to explain

How did that get past the Democrat brain trust that makes everything terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpc_3BWyCWs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
imagine knocking on someones door and trying to explain to them they had to vote for crooked hillary lmao, poor saps

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lol they targeted suburban republican households and all it did was motivate them to vote for trump

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
There was an article about the Hillary campaign shortly after the election and it was all about how the few latinos in their operation had pathetically few resources to work with. I guess all that money from billionaire donors went to the white consultants who never said no to khaleesi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
she made ed milibands campaign look downright competent and it did this

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol they targeted suburban republican households and all it did was motivate them to vote for trump

complete opposite. they refused to target anyone who might vote gop and only spoke to low-turnout democratic voters. they flat out did not believe it was possible for a canvasser to change someone's mind. that is a huge part of the reason why their models didn't see that those voters weren't breaking toward them - they lacked representative data.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
in fact they didn't even knock doors in some states until like september, preferring instead to focus on voter registration

of course, one comical impact of that is that staff based on the less democratic areas of state would have to hit the same voter registration quotas as everyone else. i had one senior staffer in their field program express frustration to me that brooklyn was essentially demanding they register huge numbers of republicans to vote in the reddest part of the state so they could hit an arbitrary goal. brooklyn only cared about the number of people they registered, they didn't care if they were turning out trump voters.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

In Michigan alone, a senior battleground state operative told HuffPost that the state party and local officials were running at roughly one-tenth the paid canvasser capacity that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) had when he ran for president in 2004. Desperate for more human capital, the state party and local officials ended up raising $300,000 themselves to pay 500 people to help canvass in the election’s closing weeks. By that point, however, they were operating in the dark. One organizer said that in a precinct in Flint, they were sent to a burned down trailer park. No one had taken it off the list of places to visit because no one had been there until the final weekend. Clinton lost the state by 12,000 votes.

Canvassing is labor intensive and runs low margins for consultants, unlike radio and television ads that are perfectly suited for the value added grift.

There's also this:

quote:

In politics, much like anything else, victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan. A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

Salami slicing your own election chances so the consultants can get paid, lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mila kunis posted:

the hillary campaign was the scam from the producers but they actually succeeded in failing

It was, if anything, the opposite of this.

It was meant to be a ceremonial victory over the Forces of the Patriarchy. It certainly wasn't a deliberate attempt to fail. (She may not have been able to answer why she wanted to be president, but that's only because her entire motivation was an image in her head of HILLARY = FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT, not because she didn't actually want to.)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
"If you like your insurance, you can keep it" has to go down as one of the dumbest, most self sabotaging political slogans ever. It told the tens of millions of middle class Americans with employer provided healthcare that the ACA wasn't for them, and if it wasn't for them, then who was it for? Must be the lazy brown poors, just like Fox News said. It told those people that the employer provided healthcare that they still have to spend 600 dollars a month on was good and right, since you would surely "like it" and want to "keep it". But most people don't like their insurance if they actually have to keep it. And what do you mean keep it, were you originally thinking about taking it away? DEATH PANELS.

The ACA was deeply flawed in many ways, but the marketing behind it was comically inept and managed to take an issue that affects 99% of Americans and divide, negate and obliterate any strong strands of support for it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I mean as much as we rag on this idea, it's true that wealthier suburbanites did swing toward Hillary compared to their voting patterns with Obama. a lot of this was driven by a big shift among college-educated women

just too bad it was more like for every one moderate suburban republican we gain, we'll lose two working-class people in the rust belt, instead of the other way around

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Canvassing is labor intensive and runs low margins for consultants, unlike radio and television ads that are perfectly suited for the value added grift.

There's also this:

obviously their approach to michigan was wrong, since they lost it. but 200 organizers is an enormous staff number. they shouldn't have even needed a paid canvass, but it isn't surprising they couldn't make do as michigan was where they stuck garbage staff they didn't trust with a tier 1 swing state like florida.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cheese posted:

The ACA was deeply flawed in many ways, but the marketing behind it was comically inept

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

There's also this:

the problem is that they see campaigning as a min-max game

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

the problem is that they see campaigning as a min-max game

shame they took charisma as a dump stat

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1025500826121453568

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i had one senior staffer in their field program express frustration to me that brooklyn was essentially demanding they register huge numbers of republicans to vote in the reddest part of the state so they could hit an arbitrary goal. brooklyn only cared about the number of people they registered, they didn't care if they were turning out trump voters.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

paranoid randroid posted:

shame they took charisma as a dump stat

constitution didn't look too good either

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The best about this is the smarmy looking hipster milleniall in full length PJs. You know, the way you resonate with most of America.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
Hilary campaign only did door to door based on wether or not there was Starbucks was within a 2 mile radius

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hey CC how did Hillary end up spending 1.4 billion dollars?

I guess having nerds staring at data analytics screens flashing things like "Don't visit WI" instead of actually talking with people?

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
also blowing your TV ad money in CA and NY is a brilliant move

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

means tested voter outreach lmao

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hey cc, how much did hillary pay for fight song, and how many times do you listen to it per day?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I remember when this ad became a conservative meme, and the consensus in D&D was that it was therefore Actually Good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

cheese posted:

The best about this is the smarmy looking hipster milleniall in full length PJs. You know, the way you resonate with most of America.

Hahah is this the first time you have seen Pajama Boy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I want to punch this nerd in the face.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

means tested voter outreach lmao

lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This Man Has No Penis

https://twitter.com/IPM_Prime/status/1026158724128358401

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

I remember when this ad became a conservative meme, and the consensus in D&D was that it was therefore Actually Good

"Talking about getting health insurance" is something I cozily look forward to doing and not a Kafkaesque nightmare with my life on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I mean I'm not glad trump won but man am I happy hillary lost