Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not sure that poo poo is reciprocal. The UK is probably just running off old Empire rules, which never got changed because half their political class isn't even aware that Ireland is an independent state.

Troubles 2: Electric bogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PostNouveau posted:

If the UK government collapses without a Brexit deal, the next PM just needs to go "hey, I'm actually going to be a leader here and put a stop to this nonsense, gently caress the referendum."

We do it all the time here in the states. Free health care polls at like 60% approval, and the government doesn't give it to us, and no one's running around on fire screaming about "ignoring the will of the people." It'll be OK, just rip that bandaid off and move on with your lives.

its already too late at that point

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Jose posted:

its already too late

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Putting the final nail in my world-spanning, centuries-long empire's coffin to trigger the libs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hobbesmaster posted:

Troubles 2: Electric bogaloo
The more informed Tories of course know that Ireland is an independent state, which is why they threaten to invade it post-Brexit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Couldn’t you move to Canada or some other old dominion? I know Canadians can work in he UK without having to jump through many hoops, so the reverse must be true.
Don't be a settler.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jose posted:

but what if the next pm nationalized everything

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Putting the final nail in my world-spanning, centuries-long empire's coffin to trigger the libs

Its still world spanning, theres even people living on some of these islands!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Putting the final nail in my world-spanning, centuries-long empire's coffin to trigger the libs because some guy named Benewski moved in down the street and somehow that's perfectly legal!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Don't be a settler.

Listen I'm more than willing to give up my apartment in Minneapolis to some native americans if Norway will extend their jus sanguinis laws back a couple generations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its still world spanning, theres even people living on some of these islands!

well, for the next 20 years or so maybe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

If the UK government collapses without a Brexit deal, the next PM just needs to go "hey, I'm actually going to be a leader here and put a stop to this nonsense, gently caress the referendum."

We do it all the time here in the states. Free health care polls at like 60% approval, and the government doesn't give it to us, and no one's running around on fire screaming about "ignoring the will of the people." It'll be OK, just rip that bandaid off and move on with your lives.

You can't just reneg once Brexit has already happened, and it's not certain that the EU would let them reneg even if they did it today.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Makes me wonder why coverage in the US only talks about keeping Muslims out when afaict brexit was about keeping out other whites

(it doesn't make me wonder at all)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can't just reneg once Brexit has already happened, and it's not certain that the EU would let them reneg even if they did it today.

I didn't realize they'd already crossed the Rubicon on it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the EU would let Britain back in but they'd have to use the euro :getin:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

PostNouveau posted:

They carved out a bunch of special exceptions for themselves during the initial EU negotiations. You cant say "gently caress you, we don't want these" and then take it back lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

it’s disappointing the EU didn’t manage to work a literal crossing of the rubicon in to article 50

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Business Gorillas posted:

They carved out a bunch of special exceptions for themselves during the initial EU negotiations. You cant say "gently caress you, we don't want these" and then take it back lmao

Margaret Thatcher's legacy beingg burnt down by her own party is extremely lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The EU can only hold itself together through economic terrorism.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/TPMLiveWire/status/1026846022021120000

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

loving lol at that "I take offence" smoothbrain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1026915039612203009

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

“We’re just hoping this doesn’t last a long time,” she said, “and that we can get to a point where we end up in a better place.”

This sounds like some kinda death cult stuff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wish these reporters would talk to literally anybody but rural white chuds about how much they love trump, it's not like they're getting screwed especially hard or enthusiastically by Trump compared to a lot of people in this country

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

“We’re just hoping this doesn’t last a long time,” she said, “and that we can get to a point where we end up in a better place.”

This sounds like some kinda death cult stuff.

they will literally kill themselves before they blame trump and many already have

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

Al! posted:

they will literally kill themselves before they blame trump and many already have

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Al! posted:

that cheers me up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

sgtm

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The EU can only hold itself together through economic terrorism.

that's basically every country for the last 4000+ years

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

that's basically every country for the last 4000+ years

Babylonians were pretty leftist though

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Babylonians were pretty leftist though

so were the perisans under Cyrus l.

Cyrahax the great, the nice conqueror.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

so were the perisans under Cyrus l.

Cyrahax the great, the nice conqueror.

Xerxes I led a diverse coalition of like minded people to utterly destroy and turn into a theme park a society of slaver pederasts

also had a body of water whipped for what I can only assume was rent seeking behavior

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Thoughts and prayers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Poor farmers, all they'll have is the taxpayer money Trump is sending their way.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Al! posted:

hnnnng

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Poor farmers, all they'll have is the taxpayer money Trump is sending their way.

Average income was 30k something, and they are getting 6k from Tump. They are hosed come selling time.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

Average income was 30k something, and they are getting 6k from Tump. They are hosed come selling time.

Good. I know it is fashionable to suggest that these people will never blame trump for this but that can't be true. Of course the most zealous of them won't, but hopefully a lot of these people who have been voting against their best interests with a straight republican ticket for a really long time may come around.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BONE DOG posted:

Good. I know it is fashionable to suggest that these people will never blame trump for this but that can't be true. Of course the most zealous of them won't, but hopefully a lot of these people who have been voting against their best interests with a straight republican ticket for a really long time may come around.

well, it's also the fact that the entire broad media apparatus in the US is dedicated wholly to normalizing popular support for Trump

so the farmers who DO blame Trump and ARE furious are the ones you never hear about

look at stuff like MSNBC, NPR, or Fox chud safaris versus Sacha Baron Cohen's ones. Do you think they're talking to different people who are telling them different things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Republican policies are only a net positive for, at the very most, 5% of this country, and if you throw 10 bricks into a crowd you're only gonna hit 3 or 4 people who support Trump. Ever since the tax cut got passed, and more importantly since people started figuring out that they got hosed by it, it's been nonstop glowing reviews of how great Trump has been doing and how poo poo isn't his fault (usually after Trump has made a tweet claiming sole responsibility for it) and how the white house has finally settled down and is doing good for the country because unfortunately the 5% of the country that benefits from Republican rule are also in charge of all the institutions that are able to maintain it against the popular will