Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd forgotten how much I love the Dravanian Hinterlands / former Sharlayan area. So pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tashilicious posted:

You get one free month to get as many things you want to 35

No, the trial has an unlimited duration.

40-Degree Day posted:

I thought this game was free until level 35 now, why won't it let me play without paying?

SE Support Site posted:

One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brainamp posted:

No, the trial has an unlimited duration.

That's the only thing I can think of.

humm! I got a friend who told me it was only one month when they registered their trial

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tashilicious posted:

humm! I got a friend who told me it was only one month when they registered their trial

it's been like a year and a half since they made it unlimited.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really confused what you mean by 'not precise enough.' Unless you lagging super hard he has a giant safe spot on his left safe where you will take literally no damage except from adds and roar. In his second phase you'll only take damage from the stack mechanic if you just keep trying to stay on his side. It's probably a huge pain in the rear end for Black Mages but for anyone else it's probably one of the easier extremes in the game assuming you remember to your potion button and don't braindead all the mechanics.

I mean Warriorx3/Scholar works so well because there's extremely limited amounts of damage in the first half and in the second half having people who can tank the poo poo out of it just gives you more breathing room if someone eats a mechanic. I've seen four tanks do it because damage is pretty easy to avoid and they give you 10 free full heals you don't even need to use until the second half, and in the second half you can stun the boss repeatedly.

People in my group were constantly getting hit by poo poo when they were behind him and the game decided they weren't (and we've all had god kefka on farm for a good while now). I don't know what to tell you, the hitboxes suck. I've also done the thing you're talking about with standing on his left side, and that's great and all, but the part you're not hearing is where none of this is fun for pretty much anyone I know. You also don't need to be a blm for it to suck, if you don't start moving the instant he targets you for a charge you're gonna get hit with it.

It's great you MH fans got a fight, but all Rathalos in FFXIV made me think is maybe I shouldn't bother with MHW on thursday after all. What I've heard from my friends that do play MH is that this fight is pretty true to how rathalos is in MHW, and that just doesn't sound very fun at all.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

People in my group were constantly getting hit by poo poo when they were behind him and the game decided they weren't (and we've all had god kefka on farm for a good while now). I don't know what to tell you, the hitboxes suck.
His sorta flaming bite attack on the ground hits behind him on purpose. He kinda whips his tail at the same time.

I've also done the thing you're talking about with standing on his left side, and that's great and all, but the part you're not hearing is where none of this is fun for pretty much anyone I know.
You don't have to stand on his left; He turns his head to face the direction he's going to tailwhip a second or two before he swings. I spend most of my time just kinda wherever around him, though I do play melee so that might make a difference. Being close makes it fairly easy to react and get to the other side before he murders me.

all Rathalos in FFXIV made me think is maybe I shouldn't bother with MHW on thursday after all. What I've heard from my friends that do play MH is that this fight is pretty true to how rathalos is in MHW, and that just doesn't sound very fun at all.
Los has been a bastard in Monhun ever since they reworked him back in Gen 3 to be a constantly flying rear end in a top hat, but you also have a zillion more tools to deal with him in the proper games. Flashbomb him out of the air, he's fairly easy to stagger (and thus knock out of the air), have him step in a trap to give you tons of time to beat up on him, and two flavors of i-frame dodge (quick and risky or slow but ludicrously safe). He's really not that bad on that side of the crossover.

What's accurate about the fight is the feeling of being able to see what the boss is doing and react to that. Monhun is a bit different from the fight here in XIV in that there's no attack that is truly unavoidable, so you can take your time and play it safe if you don't mind going at that pace. Meanwhile, we're constantly losing a limited potion supply to forced damage in the form of stack markers and burn ticks, so people feel rushed. And when they rush, they get sloppay.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 8, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well it's kinda weird to see someone post my tweets in a SA thread. That's a new feeling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People in my group were constantly getting hit by poo poo when they were behind him and the game decided they weren't (and we've all had god kefka on farm for a good while now). I don't know what to tell you, the hitboxes suck. I've also done the thing you're talking about with standing on his left side, and that's great and all, but the part you're not hearing is where none of this is fun for pretty much anyone I know. You also don't need to be a blm for it to suck, if you don't start moving the instant he targets you for a charge you're gonna get hit with it.

It's great you MH fans got a fight, but all Rathalos in FFXIV made me think is maybe I shouldn't bother with MHW on thursday after all. What I've heard from my friends that do play MH is that this fight is pretty true to how rathalos is in MHW, and that just doesn't sound very fun at all.

I don't play MH so I don't really know what you mean by "you MH fans." I also don't get what you mean about the fight in general to be honest. As someone pointed out earlier this is basically just a savage version of the cyclops fight with a minor healing gimmick. It's fine to dislike the fight but it isn't a hard fight and aside from lag I haven't seen any of the hitbox stuff you're talking about. You are right that you need to move as soon as it targets you. That's kind of the point. You watch what it does and dodge based on its movements. There's plenty of attacks or fights in the game like that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Which raids are safe to jump into in the Duty Finder with no prior knowledge, and which are designed for organised groups?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
For the love of The Twelve, never pug A11 synced.

EVER.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 8, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Which raids are safe to jump into in the Duty Finder with no prior knowledge, and which are designed for organised groups?

Raids as in the actual raids? Alexander and Omega both are pretty trivial with maybe 1 or 2 fights in Alexander that can be a little annoying if people screw up. Bahamut veers from trivial to a few roadblocks. The Savage stuff requires a bit more thought but also is basically only run unsync'd these days except Omega where you probably at least want knowledge of the mechanics, though the 1st and 2nd tier of both Omega raids so fare are really easy.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Same, after spending a lockout chipping away at the Ex fight last night, I'm just thinking of canceling my MHW pre-order, because if this fight is an indicator for the MHW experience then I know I'm going to have a bad time, because I suck at games like this.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's as much an indicator as to how MHW plays as the Behemoth fight in MHW is an indicator to how FF14 plays. There are mechanical similarities, but overall the fights in their original games are very different.

Watch some videos of people fighting Rathalos in his game or just MH videos in general if yall are really not sure you'll like the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheHeadSage posted:

Same, after spending a lockout chipping away at the Ex fight last night, I'm just thinking of canceling my MHW pre-order, because if this fight is an indicator for the MHW experience then I know I'm going to have a bad time, because I suck at games like this.
Monster Hunter has been finely tuned over the course of generations of consoles. I haven't had the chance to fight Rathalos in this game yet but it sounds like they made a homage which still fundamentally uses the FFXIV interface.

erectoral collage
Jun 15, 2005

rhoga posted:

A second goon has handed me a pile of gil and the keys to his home, this time it was erectoral collage/Corin Valorend. He had set up an office on the ground level with a bedroom in the basement, but didn't know what to do with the rest of it.
Here's some Before pics:

I liked the idea of an adventurer's office, and ran with that as my inspiration.
Here's the After pics.
Let reception handle clients in the ground floor waiting area.

Downstairs is the adventurer's den, where they plan the next job and keep trophies of the last. The boss has his own area down here.

Complete album here, including the exterior renovation: https://imgur.com/a/6r7pgFg
Or visit the house at Excal Lavender Beds 15, Plot 56

:krad: Thank you again! A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rathalos ain't poo poo

Kirin a fucker tho

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FractalSandwich posted:

You only need an organized group for Coil and Savage raids. The rest is not too hard to brute force. You'll want an organized group for everything, because the general public can be very frustrating.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, Rathalos in FFXIV and Rathalos in MHW are not particularly similar.

He's a loving chump in MHW. Tripping him for days.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah the hitboxes are not as bullshit in MonHun (at least not anymore) and that's a huge amount of the problem i'm seeing. Also you don't get stunned nearly as fast as you do here.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So hey I got Sword Oath, woo.

Is there a guide to inexperienced tanks? The stuff I've found uses a lot of jargon, and makes a lot of assumptions that I've been playing the end game for a while. Talks about dancing between sword and shield oaths, Stormblood Dungeons and all that. After something a little less...experienced.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
This is the standard visual guide that gets shared around.

The basic idea is to keep all of the enemies attacking you, while making it easy for your party to attack the enemy.

As a PLD, you'll be using your Rage of Halone combo to generate threat on single targets and Flash on groups. Flash has a blind element to it as well, and when the blind debuff falls off, that's usually a good sign to Flash a second time.

There's not a lot of dancing between shield and sword. Stay in shield for groups of trash. With bosses, you can switch to sword after you have done a couple of Rage of Halone combos in shield oath to establish a threat lead, but it's not mandatory. Obviously, you'll do more damage in sword oath and that's ideal, but no one will fault you for playing it safe in shield for an entire roulette dungeon.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Safeword posted:

Is there a guide to inexperienced tanks? The stuff I've found uses a lot of jargon, and makes a lot of assumptions that I've been playing the end game for a while. Talks about dancing between sword and shield oaths, Stormblood Dungeons and all that. After something a little less...experienced.

What’s the jargon? It’ll probably be more useful for you to understand it in the long run.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Probably just acronyms for abilities he doesn't have yet if he's just gotten Shield Oath :v:

As stated above though PLD doesn't have a whole lot of stance dancing to do for the most part. You've got ability that gives you gauge if you use it in shield oath but that's about it and nobody ever uses it for that.

Vincie
Oct 31, 2012

Hogama posted:

Looking into some rumors for 5.0, I saw that the source is just a random poster... who correctly called out, before the main 4.3 features were even officially announced, let alone the patch releasing, that Yotsuyu would become Tsukuyomi, Alphinaud would be saved by Gaius, and that you'd even play as Alphinaud. and then again, before it was announced, that there would be an official crossover with Monster Hunter World. Little fanfare, no corroboration, just "This is going to happen." It's suggested perhaps that they just guess from datamining, but no one else had those solo duty points guessed a month in advance.

So... take with plenty of salt, because the latest scuttlebutt for 5.0 from this person is Viera race, Blue Mage, Dancer, and Gunblade/Soldier - and Viera not being the only new race, and Blue Mage apparently as... melee support in the Ninja vein...? With the Gunblade as tank. Also suggests that Alphascape's fights will draw earlier rather than later in the series timeline. However, they're also pretty adamant that Blue Mage will drop in a patch before the expansion.

He said that the Alphascape bosses will be FF1 Chaos, Midgardsormr, Omega, Adam and Eve which is wildly out of left field but if we get relevant outfits for Savage I would come out of raid retirement for those alone.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Vincie posted:

He said that the Alphascape bosses will be FF1 Chaos, Midgardsormr, Omega, Adam and Eve which is wildly out of left field but if we get relevant outfits for Savage I would come out of raid retirement for those alone.

What is that last one a reference to? I can't imagine it'd be Nier Automata.

Vincie
Oct 31, 2012

Solitair posted:

What is that last one a reference to? I can't imagine it'd be Nier Automata.

They didn't specify but the Omega/machine connection sort of makes for Nier and the overarching craziness of Yoko Taro's mythos would certainly allow for it. Middy (who is an alien to Hydaelyn) and Omega have a mysterious history we don't know the details of yet which could link to Drakengard/dragons being the rivals of the flower and yeah, it's crazy as gently caress, but it's just the kind of thing that's in Taro's wheelhouse.

If the leaker guy didn't have a few significant confirmations already under his belt I'd just laugh and call bullshit but I find the lore possibilities fascinating.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Probably just acronyms for abilities he doesn't have yet if he's just gotten Shield Oath :v:

As stated above though PLD doesn't have a whole lot of stance dancing to do for the most part. You've got ability that gives you gauge if you use it in shield oath but that's about it and nobody ever uses it for that.

Yeah, it was mostly acronyms and stuff. :v:

I've not had any real issues with tanking yet, now I'm used to the control scheme, but can already feel mechanics and difficulty starting to ramp up. Figured it be a good idea to understand the more advanced stuff.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The most advanced you'll get it "get threat lead with Shield Oath on, Drop/change to Sword Oath, throw on defensive cooldown[s], do damage".

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Rathalos ain't poo poo

Kirin a fucker tho
Aside from the huge sacks of hp elder dragons I think Rajang is the hardest. Kirin you can still power through with consumables, stagger it easily, wait for it to just stand around, and get it to bomb itself, Rajang can kick your rear end while blind from flashbombs.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly dungeon difficulty mostly ramps up linearly so if you're doing your story dungeons and the occasional roulette, you'll get the hang on if just through practice. Read the tooltips, understand your abilities and cooldowns, and it's seriously just practice until you get the hang of it, and a knowledge of the dungeon layouts and enemy abilities so you know what to expect and when to use your abilities to maximize usefulness.

The only time you might need a special class/teacher is for endgame raid content. And you're pretty far from that. Don't sweat it, just keep on playing. A lot of FFXIV is basically "Babies first MMO" in the first 40odd levels, and even past that it's not going to require spreadsheets to master tanking. Paladin especially is pretty much e-z-mode.

EDIT: If you're not in the discord yet you should consider it, there's plenty of people who can give specific advice and tips for things you may be wondering. Even if you're not on Excal to join the FC.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Safeword posted:

You don't really need to be concerned about Sword Oath until you're comfortable holding aggro. It's good for soloing, off-tanking (which won't even be a thing until 50) and when you're confident about your aggro lead. Always keep Shield up for trash mobs that are too numerous and won't live long enough for you to get a decent lead on them.

Tanking doesn't really get more complex, but you'll get more fun toys to play with. Flash will always be amazing, your basic combo will always be the easy way to keep up enmity, though eventually (literally not until HW) you'll get two DPS combos and some new uses for your MP bar. If I recall, the next couple dungeons will introduce you to more possible mechanics, like interactables, wandering mobs, watching the bosses' animations and cast bars, and eventually attacks that make you remember your defensive cooldowns. This game is really good about easing you into new things gradually, so don't worry, be nice to your party and everything will work out.

I've only been tanking for a couple of months, so someone more experienced correct me if I'm wrong on anything. :sweatdrop:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vincie posted:

I would've guessed we'd get 7 bosses followed by Omega since we had 5 then 6.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

super sweet best pal posted:

I would've guessed we'd get 7 bosses followed by Omega since we had 5 then 6.

The Garlemald army magitek looks Shinra as hell whenever it's not literally stuff from FF6, so I'd expect FF7 stuff to make it to the main plot.

Hell, there's even a Weapon. Even if FFXIV's Ultima Weapon is kind of a different thing, it wouldn't be difficult to write in others.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aithon posted:

The Garlemald army magitek looks Shinra as hell whenever it's not literally stuff from FF6, so I'd expect FF7 stuff to make it to the main plot.

Hell, there's even a Weapon. Even if FFXIV's Ultima Weapon is kind of a different thing, it wouldn't be difficult to write in others.

There are already two weapons though not just Ultima

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks guys. I'll just keep punching stuff and getting kicked in the face for now then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aithon posted:

Love 2 see the Shinra executives as Garlemald regional bosses.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Tanking really only gets complex in savage when you have to start thinking about cooldowns for tankbusters, prior to this point if a tank buster kills you it can safely be blamed on a healer. Past this point if a tb crits and you didn’t mitigate you are a greasy stain on the floor.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If you don't lose aggro, dont spin the monsters all over the place, and hit each of your defensive cooldowns once a dungeon at some point you're already a better tank than most people

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vincie posted:

If this isn't completely bullshit, the most important thing would be which music track they use for the fight.

Rathalos is different in a kind of fun way but was also pretty frustrating. Standing behind his left leg *mostly* works, but sometimes I'd get swatted away by what looked to me like just a regular standing animation so I couldn't parse what telegraph I was supposed to be watching out for. Then I tried coming in as rdm so I could stand back a ways, and that mostly worked, but if I blinked and didn't avoid a charge in time he'd one shot me. Also there were several times he'd knock me down and then charge back and forth over me while I was supposed stun locked. :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The absolute worst thing, from a healer perspective, is tanks who do big pulls and pop all their defensive cooldowns at the same time. When I was going through leveling and under-geared, tanks that did long double-pulls and didn't worry about what happens after the first 20 seconds were the most difficult. They added a short-cd shield for WHM that helps now, though.