Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The Grimace posted:

Could you tell me the names of all of the bottle items on the shelving units? I eventually want to make a bar-like room and a lot of those items would be really helpful!

Elixir bottle and Spirits Collection. You might also want to check Chilled Red if you're doing a bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Kuvo posted:

Elixir bottle and Spirits Collection. You might also want to check Chilled Red if you're doing a bar

Yes!! Thank you!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wish that there was a version of that job jump potion that didn't also complete all the job quests. It'd be nice to not have to grind but still get to enjoy the quests.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

The Grimace posted:

At the same time, I guess Yoko Taro is a fan of XIV? I remember earlier in the thread when he posted on twitter about going to E3, the image was specifically of the XIV booth for Stormblood. And given the way dragons work in XIV, it feels like it could fit. I'm cautiously optimistic here because I don't know what to expect, if it turns out to be true.

Yeah my point is moreso "why not make it an entire event instead of at the very end of a raid tier" and have some real fun with it. There's a ton of stuff you could easily pull into FF14 without it feeling weird.

Maybe Byakko was just a dry run and next time we're going to get ending-E level bullet hell.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

The Grimace posted:

Yes!! Thank you!

There's also wine glasses made by alchemists and a sake set from the doman donation shop. The chirugeon's essentials is a bunch of vials and bottles and fits pretty well in a bar, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

I wish that there was a version of that job jump potion that didn't also complete all the job quests. It'd be nice to not have to grind but still get to enjoy the quests.

This has been my biggest deterrent in buying a skip potion.

I suppose Summoner/Scholar has a work around, though, since you could just buy a skip potion for the class you have no intention of playing and get all of the levels on the one you do want.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Algid posted:

Aside from the huge sacks of hp elder dragons I think Rajang is the hardest. Kirin you can still power through with consumables, stagger it easily, wait for it to just stand around, and get it to bomb itself, Rajang can kick your rear end while blind from flashbombs.

If a Rajang update were released in World I don't know if I would go back to fight him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now, while some people are saying the Rathalos fight in FFXIV is hard enough and counter-intuitive enough to FFXIV gameplay that they're cancelling their preorders for MHW. In the MH thread, you'll find some people complaining about the Behemoth fight because simple raid mechanics are counter-intuitive to MH gameplay, and also the raid wipe move will oneshot you no matter where you are on the area map which is weird to MH players. These games are very different and the crossover event mechanics are designed to emulate an experience that doesn't really translate 1-to-1.

I'll say one thing, EX primal fights are shorter than most endgame MH elder dragon fights but a lot more demanding, in my opinion. In a Monster Hunter fight, there's downtime for you to catch your breath, craft more consumables, and engage the monster on your own terms. In a game like FFXIV, though, when the fight starts it's on till either the boss or the party are dead.

Rathalos is not difficult in MHW because in his proper game you have a wide toolset available to you to shut him down. When he's flying, flashbang him to send him crashing to the ground stunned for six seconds. You can knock him out with sleep bullets/arrows/hitting him repeatedly with a pair of knives with a label on its stat screen that says "Sleep 150" on it. Then pull out barrel bombs larger than your own body to blow up his face. You can let someone with a hammer or hunting horn whale on his head 'till he's knocked out. You can plant a trap on the ground and lure him into running into it. In a monster hunter game, you can fight dirty. And are encouraged to do so. A speedrunner can probably kill a hyper-aggressive endgame elder dragon, normally a 30-40 minute fight for new players, in like 4 minutes tops by exploiting all the different ways you can utterly, completely shut a monster down. And then beat up its face. Literally.

So don't use the Rathalos fight to gauge whether or not you'll like MHW. I find the first-time player experience is rather neatly summed up by one dunkey video, which in 7ish minutes explores a personal character arc that, I think, just about everybody experiences if they play World as their first MH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxv9AM397Y8

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Hilda just showed up in the MSQ. I think I heard she's also in the Mechanist quests?

edit: lol at this inquisitor guy backflipping like 50 feet high onto the top of this building.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 9, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So Hilda just showed up in the MSQ. I think I heard she's also in the Mechanist quests?

edit: lol at this inquisitor guy backflipping like 50 feet high onto the top of this building.

She shows up in MCH 60-70.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Man, that Level 70 Monk quest was basically "ADDS: The Musical".

Is it worse than the level 68 quest? Because I was honestly surprised I cleared that first time with the constant waves of adds.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only complaint I have about the Rathalos fight is that he's a bit too quick for how slow the combat in the game is. You've only got about a second to dodge his moves and that's often just not enough time.

The only thing I've had trouble with him so far is the Foothold, mainly because one time an entire group derped on getting on it. I didn't even know it spawned before then :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Is it worse than the level 68 quest? Because I was honestly surprised I cleared that first time with the constant waves of adds.

68 felt slightly worse, but they're pretty much comparable. Both probably would've walled me if I didn't have 360 gear.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ytlaya posted:

Hilda is great I want to see more of her (but MCH scares me)

Also Ser Charizard is bad news. I also just learned that my friend who plays FFXIV adopted his surname for her online handle and is one of those Heaven's Ward apologists (i.e. they did nothing wrong), I didn't know people like that existed?? I'm still mad at The Vault.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, were it not for Thordan deciding to rough up Aymeric for no reason, I could buy them as anti-heroes who are going about saving Ishgard in a violent and paranoid but well-meaning way. The thing at The Vault wasn't even on purpose.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

68 felt slightly worse, but they're pretty much comparable. Both probably would've walled me if I didn't have 360 gear.

I managed to clear 68 using just HQ leveling gear, so I'm hoping that a mish-mash of 310, 330 and 360 gear gets me through the level 70 quest.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Honestly, were it not for Thordan deciding to rough up Aymeric for no reason, I could buy them as anti-heroes who are going about saving Ishgard in a violent and paranoid but well-meaning way. The thing at The Vault wasn't even on purpose.

They're not really characterized very much I guess, so I'm wondering why my friend got so obssessed she made an account in another server, made her character to be exactly like Charizard (and bought the boosts while she was at it), and RPed in Ul'dah with 11 like-minded people holding their own dance concert during the Songbird event. It's... strange. (Their bios are kinda cool though)

I also have a few more 3.5 questions: so the Archon marks/tattoos are just cosmetic, and Lyse had hers magically added to pass off as her sister? That's just it, right? Does she or Yda even have the Echo in the first place?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Haurchefant was just always a good dude who liked the Warrior of Light a lot. Years of crappy stories in things in WoW have primed me to always expect betrayals from overly friendly characters as a cheap way to create drama, so it's nice for him to turn out to have just always been a genuine staunch ally of yours.

edit: Same really goes for House Fortemps in general. I feel like most "nerd media" stories would have there be some cynical reason for them taking you in at the beginning of Heavensward.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

They're not really characterized very much I guess, so I'm wondering why my friend got so obssessed she made an account in another server, made her character to be exactly like Charizard (and bought the boosts while she was at it), and RPed in Ul'dah with 11 like-minded people holding their own dance concert during the Songbird event. It's... strange. (Their bios are kinda cool though)

I also have a few more 3.5 questions: so the Archon marks/tattoos are just cosmetic, and Lyse had hers magically added to pass off as her sister? That's just it, right? Does she or Yda even have the Echo in the first place?

Yda did, Lyse did not.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Schneider Heim posted:

Correct. You don't need to have the Echo to be a scion. It's only You, Krile, and Arenvald left in terms of echo user's, I think. There might be a few other random NPC's as well, that I can't think of. If you don't know that last name, he has zero importance up till now, but does get some more screen time with Stormblood.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

quote:

Sharlayan does not bestow the title of Archon upon each and every wise man. Indeed, it is said that only those who have demonstrated an exceptional knowledge of their respective subjects and made a great contribution to their fields are selected and certified. Those who rise to Archon have an arcane pattern etched upon their skin, thus distinguishing them from normal folk with a single glance. Apparently, there are more benefits attached to the position than one might suspect, not the least of which being free access to forbidden tomes.
The tattoos are marks of the Archons who were part of Louisoix's Circle of Knowing. In 1.0, they were one of the two non-aligned good guy factions that combined to become The Scions of the Seventh Dawn in A Realm Reborn. Most of the current Scions were part of his group, which Louisoix founded hoping to intervene in the prophecy of the Seventh Umbral Era outlined in the Divine Chronicles. Minfilia's original group was the Path of the Twelve - an organization dedicated to researching the nature and origin of the Echo, and finding and assisting people who had it.

None of the Circle of Knowing were/are known to have the Echo, as far as I know; Minfilia has it, but she's not an Archon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Rathalos is just quicker than I want any encounter to be when I'm a melee and he doesn't really do normal aggro tables. The fight was just me running around trying to catch the bastard while he's throwing out mechanics as fast as the game can process. None of these mechanics are super bad, but it's pretty frustrating to get smacked and stunned because I was trying to catch up with him and now he's tail slapped me 100 feet away.

Seriously though, there isn't ANY time to figure out that you're meant to hide behind the garula. You either know already or you're eating that poo poo.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

Rathalos is just quicker than I want any encounter to be when I'm a melee and he doesn't really do normal aggro tables. The fight was just me running around trying to catch the bastard while he's throwing out mechanics as fast as the game can process. None of these mechanics are super bad, but it's pretty frustrating to get smacked and stunned because I was trying to catch up with him and now he's tail slapped me 100 feet away.

Seriously though, there isn't ANY time to figure out that you're meant to hide behind the garula. You either know already or you're eating that poo poo.

Wipes and deaths are meant to teach your mechanics and tactics. That so many players react as if a wipe or a death means the game has failed is redic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There's no tactics or fun in dying to a raidwide because suddenly it's an Ecliptic Meteor mechanic without any of the fanfare that the actual Ecliptic Meteor gets. In O5S the ghost that pushes everyone off is something you need to see to get. It's also like the first mechanic the train does. Rathalos' is at the half way mark or so. When a fight resets and there's nothing intuitive about the reason why you died, it's not a fun experience.

And all the rest of the mechanics don't kill you. I ended it with like 5 potions left. They're just really irritating. Oh hey, got 1 and 2 though my combo and now he's over there. Well thread said to stand by the left leg and now he's charging someone behind me so I'm getting smacked and stunned. It felt like Aimless Wandering: The Fight.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

My group got extremely lucky in that we gathered in the center to shield and heal, and ended up behind the garula. It still took several more wipes to work out that standing behind the corpse shielded us. We thought it was an enrage mechanic because our DPS was poo poo.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Same really goes for House Fortemps in general. I feel like most "nerd media" stories would have there be some cynical reason for them taking you in at the beginning of Heavensward.

I expected some Game of Thrones stuff from the High Houses but they were just criminally underused. Last they were kind of relevant was when someone told you that this Heaven's Ward guy was from a House that Fortemps wasn't BFFs with.

Oh and thanks for the lore answers everyone!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Did my five MH Ex runs for the 3 orchestrion rolls. May do five more for the minion, but no way am I going to grind out the mount. Maybe if it was 10 instead of 50. I feel like I get the fight now but I just don't find it fun. Usually Extreme/Savage fights feel like a dance once I've got them down but not this fight.

Of course FFXIV has always snapshotted your position to resolve AoEs but getting hit by the charge when your now-corpse is way out of it feels even worse than usual.

This fight also brings out the shitters. My first lockout we got to 4% and then people had to leave. Took like 6 PUG clear parties to get the clear, even on Tuesday afternoon. Ran into several healers with no Esuna and one who straight up refused to heal in phase one then yelled at people when they died after getting targeted by their second firball. I PUG O8S and that can get pretty painful but this was much worse.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 9, 2018

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They are presumably tempered by Thordan

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you are running into shitters and are either 1) a Warrior, or 2) a healer, may I suggest to you the 3 WAR/1 Healer strat?

You know how they say, "If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid"? Well, this is stupid, it works, and it's still stupid. Either way, I am 4/4 with pubs using this method.

3 Warriors provides:

* You can afford to flush all your cooldowns to Shake It Off, and get along by just going into Defiance + Rampart.
* IR Burst phases that line up pretty well with when Rathalos gets knocked out of the sky.
* A big-rear end sack of HP with which to pad out and cover for mistakes
* Cooldowns to make potions go farther
* An absolute disregard for the need for healing
* SCH can DPS, has Chain Strategem, can fish for Critadlo on fairy and Deployment Tactics it.
* AST can DPS and bring cards
* WHM can gently caress right off.

Though all my clears have been with all-WAR groups, I also don't reasonably see why other tanks wouldn't work. PLD can Cover and Intervention people targetted for stack fireballs, making potions go farther. DRK should be able to do the same with spamming TBN.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 9, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

They are presumably tempered by Thordan

Primal avatars like Shiva and Thordan haven't shown the capacity (or maybe willingness) to temper. I think the Knights Twelve are just a bunch of dicks that Thordan intentionally cultivated because he needed minions as dedicated and ruthless as him.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

Primal avatars like Shiva and Thordan haven't shown the capacity (or maybe willingness) to temper. I think the Knights Twelve are just a bunch of dicks that Thordan intentionally cultivated because he needed minions as dedicated and ruthless as him.

It’s not been quite clear if tempering is a conscious decision on the primals part, Ramuh probably says something about it but I can’t remember everything he says. I am erring on the side of purposeful action as the Pomsguard with mogglemog don’t appear to have been tempered as we let them live (repeated summoning not withstanding)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

oh no blimp issue posted:

It’s not been quite clear if tempering is a conscious decision on the primals part, Ramuh probably says something about it but I can’t remember everything he says. I am erring on the side of purposeful action as the Pomsguard with mogglemog don’t appear to have been tempered as we let them live (repeated summoning not withstanding)

He's talking about Primals who are actually echo users coated in a crunchy Primal shell. So far, none of the three Primals like that we've seen (Shiva, Thordan, Shinryu) have been shown to directly temper anybody, Archbishop Thordan only ever interacted with Ascians (untemperable), the Warrior of Light (untemperable) and the current incarnation of the Heaven's Ward (who were also primalized along with Archbishop Thordan to become the original King Thordan and the Knights of the Round.) Zenos has less then zero interest in doing anything but courting his battle lust and continuing to fight the WoL while showing off his cool new Shinryu toy to his murderfriend. Ysale did have a gaggle of followers before we ever ran across her, but she was also capable of becoming Shiva for an unknown period of time before that encounter, so it's not impossible for her to have tempered some/most of them but we only ever really meet a handful and they're much more interested in becoming dragons to follow the heretic's beliefs and kill the WoL/protect Ysale then do anything blatantly temper-y.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

He's talking about Primals who are actually echo users coated in a crunchy Primal shell. So far, none of the three Primals like that we've seen (Shiva, Thordan, Shinryu) have been shown to directly temper anybody, Archbishop Thordan only ever interacted with Ascians (untemperable), the Warrior of Light (untemperable) and the current incarnation of the Heaven's Ward (who were also primalized along with Archbishop Thordan to become the original King Thordan and the Knights of the Round.) Zenos has less then zero interest in doing anything but courting his battle lust and continuing to fight the WoL while showing off his cool new Shinryu toy to his murderfriend. Ysale did have a gaggle of followers before we ever ran across her, but she was also capable of becoming Shiva for an unknown period of time before that encounter, so it's not impossible for her to have tempered some/most of them but we only ever really meet a handful and they're much more interested in becoming dragons to follow the heretic's beliefs and kill the WoL/protect Ysale then do anything blatantly temper-y.

Yes I get that, but I’m curious as to wether it’s a conscious action on the primals part, if it is that implies that avatar primals might have the ability but they just haven’t used it, conversely if it’s not then that implies that avatar primals just can’t temper for whatever reason.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheHeadSage posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

TheHeadSage posted:

I managed to clear 68 using just HQ leveling gear, so I'm hoping that a mish-mash of 310, 330 and 360 gear gets me through the level 70 quest.

Uh what? You are wearing gear miles ahead of what the quest rewards (and what people at launch of SB wore) :confused:

They're perfectly doable in up-to-date leveling/dungeon gear (eg. Doma Castle/Castrum Abania dungeon drops or HQ quest rewards in a similar level range). Your friendly NPCs call out enemies you actually have to focus on ASAP, so pay attention to that, and stay out of AoE.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Does the game tell the truth when it tells you the chance of gathering an HQ item? I've been getting very improbably lucky since I got to the Heavensward zones, specifically.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I have a feeling it doesn't. I've missed far too many 99% gathering chances in a short amount of time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

Does the game tell the truth when it tells you the chance of gathering an HQ item? I've been getting very improbably lucky since I got to the Heavensward zones, specifically.

I doubt it's lying intentionally, but I do suspect their RNG implementation is broken or bad in some ways, especially for crafting and gathering. It's surreal how often I get "lucky" with failure streaks on 90%+ success actions. Can't say the same when the odds are reversed (ie. actually getting lucky on some <5% chance thing, ever).

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Looking at the glamour stuff I've noticed there's an "invisible" set of armour I can buy from Vesper Bay. The NPC doesn't seem to have them available for me to buy, do I have to be a higher level?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Safeword posted:

Looking at the glamour stuff I've noticed there's an "invisible" set of armour I can buy from Vesper Bay. The NPC doesn't seem to have them available for me to buy, do I have to be a higher level?

You'll need a level 15 crafter and do a quest in vesper bay to open up that part of the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Leal posted:

You'll need a level 15 crafter and do a quest in vesper bay to open up that part of the shop.

Oh cool, thank you. Time to do a bit of woodwork.