Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jeeves posted:

The post scarcity doesn't make any sense in Trek. Like in the Ensign Ro episode, Picard orders the crew to install some replicators for the Maquis-- but where do the materials for those come from? Couldn't you just replicate a whole ship? Why would you need ships then?

Something like Neil Stephenson's Diamond Age answers this a bit better than Trek-- they have matter reconstitution much like replicators, but you pay for the 'feed' of the matter coming in. Shittier/poorer people have tiny feeds that can just trickle base matter in, big replicators have huge feeds. The feed is what matters, not the replicator itself. And you can't just ask it to make you a gun without having permission, but cheaper poo poo is subsidized by having baked-in advertising on it as its being replicated or such.
Ah yes, because the advertising economy has been such a great and stable foundation for society.

I feel like people often mean different things by post-scarcity. You're defining it implicitly in a broad sense - which is that essentially everything is freely and abundantly available (yet we retain rich people because it is harder for us to imagine something outside of the confines of capitalist ideology than literally any grotesque torment inflicted on people). I think TNG-era trek presents a fairly narrow version where nobody in the Federation has material lack unless they voluntarily put them in that position, or due to temporary breakdowns in the technology.

Now you might fairly then ask "why did they get rid of money," and I could see "to get rid of the dire incubus of the worship of material wealth" as a reason in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Now you might fairly then ask "why did they get rid of money," and I could see "to get rid of the dire incubus of the worship of material wealth" as a reason in its own right.

Picard says this drat near verbatim to the stock broker in "The Neutral Zone".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That Brexit article is great. He either completely misses the point of Star Trek, or Brexit, or both, or all three.

Though man if I was on a game show and STAR TREK ON FILM came up my eyes would turn into dollar signs. Then little Enterprises. Then they'd warp away, and I'd collapse.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

By the time of TNG most humans are several generations into a post-scarcity world. The attitude towards people into material possessions beyond those with sentimental value seems to be how we view hoarders in the present day.

Another thing that Voyager would have explored in more depth if it didn't abandon a lot of its premises like replicator rations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ah yes, telling foreigners to gently caress off, the essence of Star Trek ideals.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Senor Tron posted:

Another thing that Voyager would have explored in more depth if it didn't abandon a lot of its premises like replicator rations.

The ideal version of Voyager would've really honed in on the idea of "Do Federation ideals really work when you take the actual Federation out of the picture?" Not unlike DS9, I guess, but that was a slightly different question, "do they work when you're at war." Both questions that are worth exploring and could bolster the core theme of Trek.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You can nitpick the money bullshit all you want, but I love the core message of Star Trek, that when money and amassing things is off the table, people work to better themselves and each other. That's such an important message, especially in this day and age Jesus. Also

marktheando posted:

Ah yes, telling foreigners to gently caress off, the essence of Star Trek ideals.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

The ideal version of Voyager would've really honed in on the idea of "Do Federation ideals really work when you take the actual Federation out of the picture?" Not unlike DS9, I guess, but that was a slightly different question, "do they work when you're at war." Both questions that are worth exploring and could bolster the core theme of Trek.

The ideal version of Voyager is BSG

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
New BSG is just Ron Moore working out his salt about Voyager’s continuity laziness while having an Enterprise-style Bush-era meltdown. Id say it is only superficially related to Voyager and follows far more naturally from DS9.

The ideal version of Voyager would have been TAS 2 or Farscape. They tried their damnedest to make it into a cartoon anyway, and it actually improved the show.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 10, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I've been watching Enterprise for the first time lately. I hate Trip and Malcolm so much. Everyone else is cool, especially Porthos and Phlox.

Was not expecting the Seven Samurai episode where they fight off a bunch of klingons using ewok-vs-stormtrooper tactics.

And is the episode with the automated repair station supposed to be the Borg origin story?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, just a cool mysterious one off

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
When Enterprise does a Borg episode, you’ll know

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Windows 98 posted:

Oh no the doctor is degrading :(

"This is a sick man. This is where sick people come."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ah yes, the United Federation of Planets, comprised of many worlds and races working together for a better future under shared rules and values set out by an overarching multinational government, is obviously an argument for Brexit.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Man, I totally never noticed (largely because this is only the second time I've seen it since it first aired, just now) that Marc Alaimo was one of the first two Romulans in the post-TOS era, the captain (commander?) of the warbird in The Neutral Zone, TNG's season 1 finale. I always think of Tomalak and thus Andreas Katsulas when I think of Romulans.

The first TNG+ romulan was Gul Dukat. There's something perversely appropriate about that, given they might be the two closest cultures in terms of behavior in Trek's mono-quirk-culture Universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Marc Alaimo also buys Data's communicator for $4 in Time's Arrow so he can ante up in a poker game. He fuckin looks amazing as a mustachioed Western card shark.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I guess I never saw the post money sort of world as all that hard to get a general sense of. Seemed pretty much exactly as described, people have whatever they want replicated, and no one is for want, so no one has a use for money in a place like earth.

Even the stuff on screen, I always figured things like the Picard winery, well its something their family has been continuously running for generations and theres value in having that land worked for what amounts to artisan purposes. Private possessions are of course yours, but public scarce goods like land would be decided on a larger scale outside of the control of someone who just decides to amass it for no good reason.

It makes sense to let them keep using the land as long as they're dedicated to using it for something of value. Maybe thats even why PIcard's brother is so upset about the idea of Picard running off, and giving his son wild ideas about doing the same. If theres no one left of the picard family willing to work the land, it can then be put to better use by someone else whos interested and has a passion for it. Even the question of how do people get this scarce good, Picard Wine, would be pretty simply as explained by anyone interested being on a waiting list or lottery system of a sort.

The same thing works for Sisko's dad's place. If he decided to just board up the shop, its not like he could sell the property off to someone, there would probably be again a system of determining who can take over the space and if they have a solid plan and desire to use the space they can put that forward to a council of New Orleans. His customers as well probably have long waits to get in, lotteries, or maybe just not that many people are interested in hand cooked food so they aren't any more busy than a restaurant now even though its 'free'. I know I would go out less if I just had to tell a computer to make me any meal I wanted any night.

The only people who even would come in contact with money would be people who decide to gently caress off to the fringes and trade goods, settle a world outside the federation, or, starfleet officers traveling among those distant stars out of the federation. In that case I'm sure the federation has systems in place to allocate funds that can be used externally on these worlds by their officers. Starfleet after all is always shown as a very selective breed of people, and I'm sure they have no problem dealing with putting aside the limited funds starfleet officers on deep space assignments would need.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Marc Alaimo also buys Data's communicator for $4 in Time's Arrow so he can ante up in a poker game. He fuckin looks amazing as a mustachioed Western card shark.

He still looks amazingly terrifying today. I'd love to see him turn up in something like Westworld.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Marc looks amazing all the time in all things

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

Ah yes, the United Federation of Planets, comprised of many worlds and races working together for a better future under shared rules and values set out by an overarching multinational government, is obviously an argument for Brexit.

Um, I think you'll find that Star Trek is about the "United Earth Space Probe Agency"* and not some kind of "Federation". :smuggo:

* Before February 1967

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no :ohdear:

Nichelle Nichols Diagnosed With Dementia

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No, just a cool mysterious one off

Yeah that was cool. More of that sort of thing would be good, Enterprise. Oh what's that? You want to play around with action and politics? K but it better be good!

... Enterprise! What did I just say?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

drat you, Nomad.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

tarlibone posted:

"This is a sick man. This is where sick people come."

Kes: I’m sorry. He’s dead.
Doctor: This is a very sick man!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

drat you, Nomad.

:gowron:

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Payndz posted:

The values that ST has expressed since pretty much day one are the very antithesis of the isolationist, nationalist views of modern day right wing chuds.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Even the question of how do people get this scarce good, Picard Wine, would be pretty simply as explained by anyone interested being on a waiting list or lottery system of a sort.

These sound like ripe conditions for a healthy black market. One that would be facilitated by using some sort of physical, durable, and untraceable means of exchange. Perhaps a small disk for easy handling, made out of an uncommon metal cast or machined in some way to ensure that it is is a legitimate exchange device.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Everyone who wants to do money on Earth either died in WW3 or left to go be an idiot rape gang colony later on, deal with it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love imagining most of humanity on Earth wearing diaphonous robes, gathered in sunny fields together and eating fruits and making love. Whenever anyone approaches them about anything, they spend hours trying to get them undressed. "We just want you to vote on a policy bill about enforcement of the Klingon neutral zone," says the representative, unnerved. Moon-like eyes look back on them, comprehending but disinterested. "It will mean an allocation of materials--"

"Is this for the good of the Universe, sibling human?"

"Yeah. Yeah, definitely."

Everyone gathers to kiss the offered PADD, then skips off to dance by the shore.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DS9 doesn't "unravel" the Federation utopia, it just shows that this utopia must survive in a dangerous universe and sometimes Bad Things Must Be Done on the fringes to protect it. The Federation is not a suicide pact for its members.

As for money, I think it's clear that Picard's "money doesn't exist in the 24th century" statement is hyperbole, but it's also clear that the Federation itself doesn't have a government-issued currency. It's more accurate to say that there is no legal tender for trade in the Federation because there is no debt (and no taxation) in the Federation.

Federation citizens can obtain and use money if they want, but you're not going to the local Magistrate with a dispute over money because it's officially not the government's problem. And a Fed citizen cannot legally owe another Fed citizen anything, ever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

I love imagining most of humanity on Earth wearing diaphonous robes, gathered in sunny fields together and eating fruits and making love. Whenever anyone approaches them about anything, they spend hours trying to get them undressed. "We just want you to vote on a policy bill about enforcement of the Klingon neutral zone," says the representative, unnerved. Moon-like eyes look back on them, comprehending but disinterested. "It will mean an allocation of materials--"

Everyone gathers to kiss the offered PADD, then skips off to dance by the shore.

"Forgive me, brother. I appear to have stained thy knife-end with my blood. A thousand apologies."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I imagine this is what Walter Koenig was referring to either late last year or early this year (I forget when) when he said that Nichols was in trouble. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

I imagine this is what Walter Koenig was referring to either late last year or early this year (I forget when) when he said that Nichols was in trouble. :smith:

I saw someone on Reddit earlier say they saw her at a con a couple of years telling an anecdote on stage, and then a few minutes later told the same anecdote again as though for the first time. :smith:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Brawnfire posted:

That's pretty much what the non Starfleet citizens were supposed to be in the novelization of TMP. It was one of Gene's whacked out ideas that was rightfully cut out of the movie.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Evek posted:

That's pretty much what the non Starfleet citizens were supposed to be in the novelization of TMP. It was one of Gene's whacked out ideas that was rightfully cut out of the movie.

I think they should run with it.

"We have billions of people, how can we not mount a simple resistance against invasion?"

"Well, we tried to form some partisan groups... We had to explain what war was to them. They said it sounded like a bad idea."

"Ooo... Kay. Well, they know they'll be wiped out if Earth is taken, right?"

"Oh yeah, they just said all is ephemeral and then kept hitting a gong."

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The_Doctor posted:

He still looks amazingly terrifying today. I'd love to see him turn up in something like Westworld.

Isn't he more or less deaf these days?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

DS9 doesn't "unravel" the Federation utopia, it just shows that this utopia must survive in a dangerous universe and sometimes Bad Things Must Be Done on the fringes to protect it. The Federation is not a suicide pact for its members.

As for money, I think it's clear that Picard's "money doesn't exist in the 24th century" statement is hyperbole, but it's also clear that the Federation itself doesn't have a government-issued currency. It's more accurate to say that there is no legal tender for trade in the Federation because there is no debt (and no taxation) in the Federation.

Federation citizens can obtain and use money if they want, but you're not going to the local Magistrate with a dispute over money because it's officially not the government's problem. And a Fed citizen cannot legally owe another Fed citizen anything, ever.

Without any incentive to commit financial crimes or commit crimes to make money it must mean that prisons on 24th century Earth are on average filled with much worse people than ours.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Forgive me, brother. I appear to have stained thy knife-end with my blood. A thousand apologies."

An excellent episode resulting from a show staying true to its limited resources premise a few years in.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

Hating memes is a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

[/quote]

You know where this needs to be crossposted to.