Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What’s the word on RDR2 and microtransactions/DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What’s the word on RDR2 and microtransactions/DLC?

https://www.rdr2.com/news/zelnick-assures-monetization-not-priority-in-red-dead-redemption-2/

quote:

In fact, the concern has became so prevalent that Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick touched upon the topic in a recent interview with GamerDaily.biz. Zelnick was speaking about Take-Two's goal of keeping Red Dead Redemption 2 players engaged after release.

What we haven't talked about is any path to monetization because it's just not our primary concern. Our primary concern is keeping consumers engaged.

I want to believe this. Yeah sure, shark cards paid for all the DLC GTA online got, but:

$700USD real money to buy everything in one of the DLCs. Of course this'd be dumb as most of the vehicles were junk and that includes dumb poo poo like a $GTA 100k helmet with night vision goggles (that didn't work) for your character, but good lord.

Bonus: The average cost of a vehicle from each in-game manufacturer. Keep in mind that if you're not doing the big heist missions because you can't afford an apartment/bunker with the heist planning room or don't have a friend to host them for you, the average pay per mission is around $11k.

I really, really hope that Take-Two is sincere and they don't want to go down this road again. Of course if they did it'd probably mean something like Cactus Cards like Greenhorn, Cowpoke, Ranch Hand, and Rio Grande, which would be kinda funny if it wasn't so gross and predatory.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not sure which mountains of negative reviews you're referring to, I asked whether the Steam reviews were like CD on SA, because I'd heard a lot of good things about NMS from friends, and was surprised the Steam reviews weren't good.
I'll take a bunch of referrals from friends any day :shrug:

And NMS is fun, with some odd types of experiences. Item progression has been a bit weird for me, because I apparently rolled some insanely good multitool spawns in the station stores of my first two stations and the space anomaly that I can't afford, so it appeared I was stuck with my lovely 5-slot C-class tool. Working up my way to a million and a bit credits while hopping around the planets in this system.

poo poo's purdy, too. Color scale is a bit red-heavy, though, but I spent 3 years in Arizona, so whatevs

i was gonna write up a big thing but i think this vid sums up the issues of nms at release nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.rdr2.com/news/zelnick-assures-monetization-not-priority-in-red-dead-redemption-2/

I want to believe this. Yeah sure, shark cards paid for all the DLC GTA online got, but:

$700USD real money to buy everything in one of the DLCs. Of course this'd be dumb as most of the vehicles were junk and that includes dumb poo poo like a $GTA 100k helmet with night vision goggles (that didn't work) for your character, but good lord.

Bonus: The average cost of a vehicle from each in-game manufacturer. Keep in mind that if you're not doing the big heist missions because you can't afford an apartment/bunker with the heist planning room or don't have a friend to host them for you, the average pay per mission is around $11k.

I really, really hope that Take-Two is sincere and they don't want to go down this road again. Of course if they did it'd probably mean something like Cactus Cards like Greenhorn, Cowpoke, Ranch Hand, and Rio Grande, which would be kinda funny if it wasn't so gross and predatory.

The thing that really ruins GTA online for me is how loving lovely the load times and lobby system are. It really ruins the flow of the entire thing and they didn't even bother fixing it for the PS4/XBO release.

I loved the idea of it on paper but in reality it feels like all they do is pump DLC into it and don't bother with any QOL patches or anything. Haven't bothered with it since the heists came out a few years ago.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i might have made my fallout game too hard :ohdear:

i have like no ammo, and i need that ammo to go loot more things to make more ammo

i've looted every area around me that is cleared of monsters and/or safe

i'm flat broke and things sell for total dogshit unless it's an actual good item

my settlements don't produce extra water

it's a good problem and i'll figure it out but dang, leaning pretty hard on ole' piper and the automatic rifle i gave her

edit: if i do another playthrough with these mods i'm going to absolutely be melee to start, fuuuuuuuuck

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 10, 2018

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
So somehow I managed to not only screw up true storms, but I also hosed up the darker nights install.

My daytime hours look like vanilla darkness with a reddish-orange blob. Nights are decided darker, however the sky is crystal clear with a full moon and stars.

e Vas did you ever post your mod list?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I did that quest to fix the leaking pipes in the quarry and had like 75% rad dmg from it.

I couldn't find rad away anywhere, I had to very carefully loot the super duper mart because a few hits would kill me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any good games that will run on MacOS on a MacBook Air?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

What're you looking to play?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i was gonna write up a big thing but i think this vid sums up the issues of nms at release nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

loving :lol:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bugfixes, Tweaks, Cheats
----------
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
TruBy9 - 21:9 support (I run 3440x1400)
Achievements Enabled
No More Cash Register Sound
Crafting Highlights Fix
Molerats Stay Topside - Also works on Radscorpions
VATS Freeze Fix
Easy Hacking - I hate this minigame
Easy Lockpicking - I have picked 5,000 locks manually I am done
Survival Options

Graphics
----------
ENB w/ Vogue ENB - Depth of Field Disabled
Vivid Fallout 4k
True Storms - Set to 8x radiation damage
FTO Stars
Darker Nights - Set on second to darkest
Immersive Map 4k Blueprint Edition
Carbon Fiber Pipboy w/ White Accents
Wasteland Creatures Redone
Terrifyer

Combat and Gameplay
----------
Unbogus Fallout Overhaul***
More Spawns - Medium
Pack Attack NPC Edition
Boss Chests Contain Legendaries
Fallout Loot Overhaul
Another Life - quickstart mod

Crafting
----------
Special Ammo
Craftable Armor Size
Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource
VIG-G Legendary Crafting - I like this one more than other legendary crafting, it's brand new though so it's a bit barebones
Valdacil's Item Sorting

Companions
----------
Better Companions
Everyone's Best Friend
Companion Infinite Ammo and Unbreakable Power Armor

New Weapons - Every one of these had to be hand tuned to be compatible with Unbogus
----------
CROSS Break Action Laser
5mm Bastard Carbine
12.7mm Pistol
Plasma Accelerator - Endgame plasma weapon
10mm SMG
DOOM Weapons Merged
Laser Carbine
Caravan Shotgun
Bozar Rifle
Fullisade - 40mm grenade launcher w/ craftable
Fusion Gun
FACTOR - really cool 5.56/50cal/2mm EC rifle, OP as poo poo without tweaks though
CROSS Cryolance
CROSS PlasRail
Officer's Revolver
PPC
RU556

New Armor - Like the weapons, these had to be hand tuned
----------
Eli's Armour Compendium
Wearable Backpacks and Pouches
West Tek Tactical Optics
CROSS Cybernetics
CROSS Jetpack
Modular Military Backpack - Creation Club mod
Nano Armor - endgame combat armor
BoS Battle Medic Suit
CROSS Institute Expeditionary Suit
CROSS Brotherhood Recon Armor
Classic Combat Armor
Preydiation Suit - Requires Morgan's Space Suit from the Creation Club, turns into a more advanced Hazmat Suit

Power Armor
----------
Some Assembly Required
Power Armor Materials and Paints
CPAO
BPAO

Settlements
----------
Sim Settlements
Recruitable Settlers
Increased Settler Population
Manufacturing Extended
Move That Workbench
Better Settlers
Furniture Owner
Longer Power Lines
Enhanced Build Limit
Settlement Menu Manager
Settlement Keywords Expanded
All Settlements Expanded
More Attackers
Workshop Rearranged
Scrap Everything
Settler Sandbox Overhaul
Salvage Beacons

I'm running a lot more total mods but they're mostly compatibility fixes and such, I just didn't bother to list them.

So after spending a week dicking around with the various survival overhauls I settled on Unbogus. It's really good, but if you add any sort of modded armor you absolutely have to tweak the values in FO4Edit, as Unbogus radically changes armor values. A full suit of unmodded heavy combat armor is barely 30DR, for example. In many cases I had to cut armor values of modded equipment by 50 to 75% or more. Weapons are a bit different, as Unbogus largely keeps values the same for good weapons and boosts lovely ones. I had to tweak some damage values for certain weapons (Plasma Accelerator and FACTOR, mostly) because they were way broken - a fully upgraded FACTOR configured as a rail gun does 180 damage w/ a 30 round mag, whereas the vanilla Gauss Rifle does 130 damage with a considerably smaller mag. So I made the various FACTOR modes (5.56, 12.7mm, 2mm EC) roughly 30% better than the vanilla weapons they compete against. Likewise with the Plasma Accelerator, fully upgrade it's roughly 30% better than a fully upgraded Plasma Rifle from vanilla. Both of these require Gun Nut 4 or Science 4 to tinker with so it's a fair enough thing. Everything else was largely ok, might have tweaked a few damage values here or there.

A few neat things about Unbogus:

1) Nerfs the gently caress out of the weapon-specific perks. They go from 25/50/75/100% damage to 5/10/15/20, so you're not really locked in to any particular weapon type at all. I'm level 15 and I haven't picked up a single weapon-specific perk yet, as all the other perks are too good to pass up.
2) Completely removes health scaling and bonus health, period. Things are never bullet spongy but neither are you.
3) Changes around limb damage - enemies can have their arms and legs shot off completely and it's a good idea to do so unless you're really equipped

The only thing that's keeping me alive right now is my West-Tek optics that I crafted, as I'm so dangerously outgunned at the moment I really can't get into any sort of real fight so I travel at night with thermal vision on. I ran to Concord with my 5mm Bastard Carbine and got 1300 5mm rounds from the Minigun event and that kept me going for a long while - except I burned about 800 rounds fighting about 60-65 Super Mutants that were hanging around Medford Hospital, which took me about two hours to fully clear. I needed the Fiber Optics and other materials and I paid for them dearly. I have a T-45 chestpiece and right arm right now, nothing else, as power armor is incredibly rare and 100% hand placed thanks to Some Assembly Required.

I think I'm going to try and head over to General Atomics Galleria and steal all the lead they have in the gym, and use that to craft ammo at my settlement. If I can get a handy enough amount of 5.56 crafted I can go do Paladin Danse's mission at ArcJet, which should get me a shitload of Fusion Cells to run with some kind of energy weapon. Then eventually turn those fusion cells into plasma rounds.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I currently have a dual monitor setup with two 24 inch screens. I'm debating just getting a really nice 32 inch or larger monitor. I think the only caveat is when I work from home, having a second monitor really helps me out since I can put two excel files up on each monitor with little issue.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

I currently have a dual monitor setup with two 24 inch screens. I'm debating just getting a really nice 32 inch or larger monitor. I think the only caveat is when I work from home, having a second monitor really helps me out since I can put two excel files up on each monitor with little issue.

Get a 34" curved. Just trust me on this, way better than two screens and Windows natively lets you organize your windows on the screen in a way that works for you.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
Gameplay reveal for Doom Eternal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnOezNIjQg

Edit:

Here's the 3rd gameplay segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Bx4G3bOu4

Here's the entire presentation from quakecon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJsaFpGUde4

subterfudge fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 10, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

Get a 34" curved. Just trust me on this, way better than two screens and Windows natively lets you organize your windows on the screen in a way that works for you.

Any model you recommend in particular?

Looking at these three right now.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/502867/ed347ckr-34-uw-qhd-100hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-freesync-curved-gaming-led-monitor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/472722/c34f791-34-uw-qhd-100hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-curved-gaming-led-monitor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460907/34uc88-b-34-uw-qhd-75hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-curved-led-monitor

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's your budget?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

500ish.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Get the Samsung. I've never had a bad Samsung monitor/TV before.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

subterfudge posted:

Edit:

I'm not sure I like all the movement mechanics they added, but God drat that arm blade rules.

Love the execution where he just pounds the dude's head in between his shoulders

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think my only worry is if my 980 can handle it?

Then again all I do is play Overwatch and strategy games.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The other Doom was really well optimized, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

E:

:hellyeah:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 10, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think my only worry is if my 980 can handle it?

Then again all I do is play Overwatch and strategy games.

I've got a 980TI and my graphics card can handle 3440x1440 just fine. I've got the LG monitor though. You won't be able to utilize FreeSync adjustable refresh with an Nvidia card though. You can manually force the refresh to 100hz or whatever the monitor's max refresh rate is, but it requires loving with your monitor settings and creating custom resolutions in the nvidia controls, not hard to do but it's an extra step. Pick up a DisplayPort cable while you're at Microcenter, your monitor will not come with it, and DVI can't push 1440p.

I will also caution against the Samsung. Apparently the DisplayPort connection just black screens when you attempt to push anything more than 60hz, and the HDMI flickers like hell if you try to do more than 60hz as higher refresh is not supported by HDMI at those resolutions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CF791+free+sync+issues

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 11, 2018

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Are there any good games that will run on MacOS on a MacBook Air?

I ran XCOM2 on a 2013 MacBook Air. This was pre-optimisation so it ran like dogshit but I wasn’t fussed. Also, it ate so much CPU time that the game literally didn’t have the ability to give the aliens orders sometimes, so they just sat there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

orange juche posted:

I've got a 980TI and my graphics card can handle 3440x1440 just fine. I've got the LG monitor though. You won't be able to utilize FreeSync adjustable refresh with an Nvidia card though. You can manually force the refresh to 100hz or whatever the monitor's max refresh rate is, but it requires loving with your monitor settings and creating custom resolutions in the nvidia controls, not hard to do but it's an extra step. Pick up a DisplayPort cable while you're at Microcenter, your monitor will not come with it, and DVI can't push 1440p.

I will also caution against the Samsung. Apparently the DisplayPort connection just black screens when you attempt to push anything more than 60hz, and the HDMI flickers like hell if you try to do more than 60hz as higher refresh is not supported by HDMI at those resolutions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CF791+free+sync+issues

Yeah I was reading that the Samsung one has some issues. Right now leading towards either the LG or the Acer. My fiance's Acer monitors are pretty solid so they seem like a safe bet.

Thanks for the input guys!

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 11, 2018

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm not sure I like all the movement mechanics they added, but God drat that arm blade rules.

Love the execution where he just pounds the dude's head in between his shoulders

Yeah those movement mechanics make it feel very not Doom.

The chain grapple thing is extremely not Doom.

Maybe it's because I'm not playing but the glory kills seemed to not flow in with the action either.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I'm running a lot more total mods but they're mostly compatibility fixes and such, I just didn't bother to list them.

aka "im not gonna list my titty mods"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i also didn't list all the creation club stuff that i have because :filez:

don't forget the realistic horse buttholes

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 11, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
High Sheen HQ Super Mutant Cock (large veins ver 2.11) requires that you have PipeBoi3000s All Mutant Cock Mesh Super Pack installed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mods changed my name posted:

High Sheen HQ Super Mutant Cock (large veins ver 2.11) requires that you have PipeBoi3000s All Mutant Cock Mesh Super Pack installed

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
new update for rome 2 is cool and good. started a campaign as the lusitani in iberia. couple dozen turns in i managed to get my son and heir killed while leading an ambush of the remnants of another tribe. game asked me who would take command of his army, i picked his newly wed wife. a few years later i placed her at a river crossing which ended up getting attacked by the queen of the turdetani tribe. sons widow turned out to be a total badass

helped out by the fact the turds just funneled themselves into the meat grinder

this dude gonna need a huge eyepatch

enemy queen was content to sit back while her turds got flushed

with the rest of her army routing she finally decided to commit her bodyguard to the fray

realizing she hosed up big time

the biggest gently caress ups! no one does it better! :yooge:

daughter in law and friends celebrating over their slain foes

of which there were a lot

and that was the final gasp for the turdetani. that was their last army between daughter in law and their last village. fuckers shouldve never declared war on me :twisted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y6pAxxecRc

L4D2 discord remains a lot of fun

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Was that a whole team wipe from a single charge? Holy loving poo poo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Was that a whole team wipe from a single charge? Holy loving poo poo

Yes. It was incredible.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

subterfudge posted:

Edit:

ownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsownsowns

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Yeah those movement mechanics make it feel very not Doom.

The chain grapple thing is extremely not Doom.

Maybe it's because I'm not playing but the glory kills seemed to not flow in with the action either.

I’m assuming you didn’t play Doom 4/2016, but you don’t have to do gory kills, and there is a rune in game to speed them up. It flows extremely well. I used to be a purist, but giving Doom 4 a chance made me realize it’s the only way a single player game like that would work in modern time. It’s a small price to play to rip and tear.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Glory kills flow well and take up barely any time. Chain grappling is gonna make me feel like I'm in titanfall

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Made it to level 25, finally getting Gun Nut 3. Made a bunch of 5.56 and fully upgraded a combat shotgun so now I've got combat options. Got a FACTOR kitted with .50HE for long range, with its goddamn expensive rear end ammo (1 adhesive, 1 copper, 1 acid, 2 lead, 2 steel...for 12 rounds) and a full set of medium combat armor. Also finally assembled my first set of power armor (t-45) so I can do the Revere Satellite Array mission for Danse.

The game certainly is different this way, that's for sure. I'm still encountering plenty of fights where I'm yelling oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo or just flat out avoiding. Rescuing Valentine for example was a motherfucker.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

Glory kills flow well and take up barely any time. Chain grappling is gonna make me feel like I'm in titanfall

I played the poo poo out of 2016 and what I'm saying is the demo kills didn't look as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fiance bought me a 35 inch curved ultra-widescreen for my birthday. Oh my god, this poo poo owns.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/506954/agon-ag352ucg6-35-uw-qhd-120hz-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor