Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

even iphone is questionable these days with the aging stebe edition being the only decent one to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
as a former android user the 6s and the x are good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

anthonypants posted:

as a former android user the 6s and the x are good

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
honestly, these days you're probably better off buying the most tricked out flip phone you can find, android phones (whether made by apple or anyone else) aren't worth either the price or the hassle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

get an iphone lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Stymie posted:

honestly, these days you're probably better off buying the most tricked out flip phone you can find, android phones (whether made by apple or anyone else) aren't worth either the price or the hassle

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

agreed, im still rocking a goddamn rugby. as a freelance android developer i kinda need one though and if im gonna do that i want a good one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HoboMan posted:

agreed, im still rocking a goddamn rugby. as a freelance android developer i kinda need one though and if im gonna do that i want a good one
so your choices are to get a pixel, which will receive support and updates, or get a popular sarnsung, where you'll have to deal with third-party garbage bloatware

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

this is actually fully sick

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when you flip it totally opened out of clamshell mode can you make the outward-then-facing display a giant middle finger

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HoboMan posted:

freelance android developer

why

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

same reason artists make furry art: idiots with money

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
just popping in to say how much i loved my razr v3

well bye now. 👋

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Boiled Water posted:

same reason artists make furry art: idiots with money

someone needs to combine the two: Android Fursona edition

would make bank.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android 9 pies broke charging somehow

wandler20 posted:

I thought it was a fluke thing but my Pixel 2 XL won't charge with the factory charger\cable. When I plug it in it says rapidly charging and does the normal charging process but the phone doesn't actually charge. If I use a different cable\charger it works. This started the day I updated to Android 9. Any idea what might be going on here?
op get a oneplus 6, the phone with the most specs

then throw it in the garbage and get an iphone x the best phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

android 9 pies broke charging somehow

ars or gizmodo or someone noticed this the other day, although initially it was reported to only effect fast charging

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is so bad at consumer electronics

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

ars or gizmodo or someone noticed this the other day, although initially it was reported to only effect fast charging

lol
it was initially reported to their bug tracker on july 27, during the beta. last thursday they noticed the ticket, and closed it with the status "Won't Fix (Infeasible)"

a second ticket was opened and this issue got a ton of press so they reopened the ticket yesterday

HoboMan posted:

now do you understand why this thread doesn't want to suggest an android phone to you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tl;dr: the pixel phone, ostensibly made to google's spec doesn't work with googles os due to a problem with the phone itself.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the "best" android phone btw.

the previous generation was busted as poo poo too, and had bootloop issues.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

google is so bad at consumer electronics
:agreed: but with the weird exception of the chromecast

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FMguru posted:

:agreed: but with the weird exception of the chromecast
i'm sure they're trying very hard

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is the "best" android phone btw.

the previous generation was busted as poo poo too, and had bootloop issues.

no that was two generations ago. last generation had microphones that stop working on 100% of phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, my bad.

too bad no one out of all the android hardware manufacturers is capable of making phone that don't have massive hardware issues.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well considering my Pixel 2XL's charging completely broke in the PP3 beta and I had to use Flash Kernel to fix it, (Literally did an OTA install, and flashed the Factory Image and it still wouldn't charge at more than a tiny trickle), it might be worth trying Flash or ElementalX's kernel for the Pixel XL to see if one of those fixes the charging issue until Google Maybe releases a fix for it.

I skipped PP4 but PP5 and Official both charge fine for my 2XL so yea, Beta software and apparently, for Pixel XL owners, it still is.

Par for the new OS course I guess. Android 8.0 was a freaking dumpster fire.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when googe basically bought motorola's phone division, then did dick all with them and continued outsourcing their premium google-branded handset designs to 3rd parties?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

remember when googe basically bought motorola's phone division, then did dick all with them and continued outsourcing their premium google-branded handset designs to 3rd parties?
and then sold it to lenovo when they were done

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

didn't they just clean out the patents and sell the remaining husk

then they spent a zillion dollars buying some employees from htc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

didn't they just clean out the patents and sell the remaining husk

then they spent a zillion dollars buying some employees from htc
they didn't keep all the patents

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

anthonypants posted:

and then sold it to lenovo when they were done
lmao at the idea, the very idea of a lenovo phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
posting from a moto rn

it is fine except it doesn't have ois, is a year out of date, and the fingerprint reader doesn't work sometimes #justandroidthings

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i had a moto x, which i literally bought because google had bought motorola. it was supposed to be the google phone, and i thought it was a good phone until it died in my pocket after a few months. its replacement lasted through its warranty and then the battery started expanding, and so i decided to just get an iphone instead.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Am I going to learn lenovo is a chinese spy machine today

Please no :smithicide:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they used to come with spyware installed, but idk if it was Chinese or if its still happening.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

they used to come with spyware installed, but idk if it was Chinese or if its still happening.

i'm going with yes to the first and probably to the second.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Furia posted:

Am I going to learn lenovo is a chinese spy machine today

Please no :smithicide:

the Superfish poo poo was really serious a couple years ago and they didn’t really get punished for it so I don’t know why you’d have faith in them. they’re supposed to ask now before bundling crapware, at least?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HoboMan posted:

agreed, im still rocking a

what the gently caress is with dweebs and insisting on continuing to use this term

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

what the gently caress is with dweebs and insisting on continuing to use this term

nate dogg said he was going to rock it until the wheels fell off.:colbert:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Midjack posted:

nate dogg said he was going to rock it until the wheels fell off.:colbert:

dweebs sharing their anroid models are very far away from nate dogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

he’s loving his telephone?