Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Converting a potential serial killer into a social serf is a tricky maneuver, but well worth it depending on the size of your garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

yep, everybody has this friend (except most of us aren't Pick so usually that friend just conveniently never has cigarettes despite being a half-pack-a-day smoker but oh look, TK the Cigarette Fairy always has an emergency pack, I'm sure she won't mind)

I went to college with a guy, Tim, who could absolutely be counted on to show up one minute after I lit up a smoke, asking if I needed company.

He was up to a pretty steady 6 or 7 a day habit when I suggested he might consider buying his own goddamned cigarettes. Later that day he shows up in the pit and proudly offers me a cigarette which I accept and he says, great! Now we're square!

No Tim, we are not square you loving mooch :argh:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

caterpillaropera posted:

From r/relationship_advice:

I [24f] told my partner [22M] of 2 years that I was struggling and felt like a low priority and he called me manipulative. Am I?

Should have never let him experience that intoxicating freedom of not being your live-in caretaker, lady.

I'm not reading all this but a crippling board game addiction is certainly interesting

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

zakharov posted:

I'd ask why Pick continues to blatantly troll this thread but people keep biting so

Maybe because Pick is a thread treasure and makes people laugh? :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I'm not reading all this but a crippling board game addiction is certainly interesting

You ever get thwacked in the knees by a boxed copy of “A Feast for Odin”? Thatll do it

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Haiiiii guuuurl Wow you are such a good gardener, my roses have all these aphids, and I just don’t know what to do about it. Do you know how to get rid of aphids? Can you help me? *watches her do it for 3 seconds before going inside* thaaaaaanks!!! :h: you’re such a good friend!!!

And yeah hey if you could do that every Tuesday oh my gosh that would be so cool, I would be so super grateful. Also please walk my dog

Problem with this strategy:
1. They'll "misunderstand" and chop off all the roses
2. They'll cry about how dumb they are how could you ever forgive me please make me feel better

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Generic Monk posted:

Sounds like the exact opposite of interesting to me

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It's probably Warhammer and she just called it a boardgame. If this forum has taught me anything it's that you can drop mad cash on miniatures.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Prepare to hate this world and this parent:

quote:

My [15M] mum [47F] was going to be allowed to see me if she stayed out of trouble. She was caught with Meth in her system yesterday and I just don't know anymore.

My life before I turned 9 was not easy. I grew up in a very low income area. My dad is in jail and is not getting out until I'm 30, That's if they decide to have mercy on him. I haven't seen him and I really don't want to see him, My mum got addicted to drugs after dad was arrested. I was taken away by the government from them. I've lived with Danny and Jordan for 6 or 7 years now. Danny and Jordan in terms of relation are my guardians. As to who they are, Jordan is a distant cousin with his wife, Danny. They're 39 and 36, I think. Danny looks like she's in her early twenties, so I always think she's younger than she is. I've been living with them for 6 or 7 years. I live in a nice house, nice school. Way better than what I had it.

The story with my mum is that she would have been allowed to see me with a Jordan and government worker there. The government and Jordan don't want me being alone with her. It was something we worked out a while ago. I've heard things about her. I heard at one point she was high in park somewhere. I hate using dad as an excuse, but that's the excuse people like to peddle out for her, She was always into this poo poo. Just not this bad. Anyway, uesterday, Danny was being super nice. She always is, but more than usual. She broke the news to me that they've had to call off the lunch with my mum.

The government wanted to do a test with her to see if she was sober. It's also to do with the police thing she has to go to. I think it's probation or something. I really don't know. I don't really know what's been going on with her since I was put into other people's care. She broke the agreement they had. They government won't let her anywhere near me because of it.

I was suppose to see her this weekend. And I don't just loving know anymore. Thank god I had to go to the doctor at lunch time today. There's this one kid that just annoys the gently caress out of me, He's not a bully, he's just annoying. He hisses at you to be quiet if you make the slightest noise in class. I was so close today he was pissing me off that much before I left. I am in a very annoyed mood, but I'm mostly sad. I don't know I wanted to see her, I just did.

Danny and Jordan got into a fight last night over this. Danny was angry that Jordan even suggested it because she knew this would happen. Jordan actually had to sleep in the guest room she was that angry. I tried to help, but she told me to say out of it because they're suppose to be looking after me. This whole thing has caused so much tension and headache.

TL;DR: I was suppose to see my mum this weekend, but she was caught with Meth in system. The government wants her no where near me because of it. My guardians are fighting because one of them didn't want it to begin with. I'm just sad because I was this close to seeing her after all these years, but I just don't know anymore.

I am involved in CASA and this could have been one of my kids. Poor guy. :(

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Barudak posted:

You ever get thwacked in the knees by a boxed copy of “A Feast for Odin”? Thatll do it

The Twilight Imperium box also makes a good weapon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
That story just hurts to read :(

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Just another day in the ol' Pedoph Isles

Where's the paedophile

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I don't see why this prank went poorly at all...

Dumb Prank went too far (Ohio) (self.legaladvice)

quote:

Asking for my little sister, who isn’t on reddit:

My sister was the victim of a dumb prank that went too far. Some of her buddies watched the movie Scream. They got one of those spooky masks and went to our house when she was home alone. One of them tapped on the window, and another rattled the door knobs. My sister didn’t know who they were, so she locked herself in a room and called 911.

Anyway, the guys were still there when the police got there, and they ended up being charged with “Aggravated Menacing” and since one of them had a real knife, there was an accelerated charge for that. Also, because my sister was 16 and all the guys were 18, it was considered child abuse??

My sister didn’t want to press charges once she realized it was just her friends, but a magistrate (?) is pressing charges now. She doesn’t want to testify, but they are making her. Even worse, this wound up on local social media, and she is being accused of “ruining their lives” and getting harassment for that. What should she do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe she should send the guy to jail.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Barudak posted:

I believe she should send the guy to jail.

:same:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Skutter posted:

The good news is that she won't have to testify because the US doesn't really do trials anymore.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just keep telling them it's a prank and they aren't actually going to prison.

Prank judge, prank prosecutor, prank sentencing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Skutter posted:

quote:

If they ask if she was harmed, or if anything was broken, and she can truthfully answer no to those then it's unlikely the boys in question will be charged with anything serious. It depends on the lawyers they get and how the judge is feeling that day.

You boys better hope the judge doesn't have indigestion or wet rear end that day or you're getting the book thrown at you.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Admiral Ray posted:

You boys better hope the judge doesn't have indigestion or wet rear end that day or you're getting the book thrown at you.

I was gonna let you two off the hook but this swamp rear end says you get 1 year probation and 200 hours of community service

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Milotic posted:

Lmao.

Father of bride speech. Would this offend?

No, no, it’s really perfect as it is.

Yes, give this speech, but also film it and the aftermath and upload it to WorldStar.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Posting before this gets deleted

I'm [24F] preparing for my sister [17F] to move in with me when she turns 18. Parents are accusing us of "breaking up the family"

quote:

u/SeaBaby5
The reason my sister wants to move out ASAP is the 31 year old step sister that lives with them at home ever since our mom married her dad. She doesn't have a job and I don't know why she doesn't work or why she still lives there. She's quite difficult to deal with. Ever since she met my little sister she was all about how she's her big sister and she's now the boss and demanded respect and authority.

My sister is not that kind of girl. Our brother [26m] and I always treated her as an equal despite the age difference and always encouraged her to be her own person. We never expected her to listen to us just because we happen to be older. This whole "big sister" thing that the step sister keeps doing is so stupid and pointless. If you want your younger sibling to respect you and listen to you then be the kind of person who they can trust and respect. It takes time and effort build that sort of relationship. It doesn't just happen because your dad marries someone's mom when you're almost 30 years old.

We really couldn't find a way to deal with her or to get her to back off. It's like she doesn't even understand. Even when I had a serious talk with her her response was "why do you talk to me like that? I'm your big sister too show me some respect!"

So a few months ago I suggested to my sister that she should move in with me. Our brother lives far away but he also offered to help out financially. But our mom didn't allow it saying it will cause problems in the family and in her marriage. So we decided that we'll do this once she turns 18 and we've been working towards that. She will now be 18 in 3 weeks and I've just moved into a larger 2 bed apartment. She just transferred her savings (from a joint account with our mom) into her own account. And she was able to get a part time job too which she'll start next month. This is all so that we wouldn't need any financial help from our mom. Between me, our brother and sister's part time job we'll manage.

Now our mom is noticing that this is serious she's promising things to change and quite honestly we don't really care anymore. My sister told her that the only way she'll stay is if step sister moves out which isn't happening because she has no job, experience or skills. So at the end of the day, we're doing this.

Our mom came to me yesterday saying this has caused a big fight between her and her husband and making peace with the step sister is key in making sure her marriage remains stable. It looks like step sister is angry at us for "excluding" her even though she's actually done it herself with her attitude. Her husband is resentful that we're not treating her daughter as "one of us" which is absurd because she's not acting like she's one of us. We (brother, me, sister) have a group chat and that's where we do most of our texting and this step sister wanted in and demanded our sister for an invite which she refused and then this 31 year old woman threw a tantrum like a child.

Next month my sister and I are planning to fly to visit our brother and then the three of us are going on a one week vacation. Our mom wants to "invite" step sister to come with us (translation: step sister had thrown a tantrum that she wants to come) and we're really not keen on bringing her because she's going to make this miserable. If it's just the three of us we're gonna have fun and will be comfortable with each other, step sister will cause drama and it's going to be frustrating.

So how do we deal with our mom who's unloading the burden of fixing her marriage onto us? When I think my focus should be on my sister who's turning into an adult and needs help and guidance. We're all just tired of dealing with this step sister and we want nothing to do with her. Would it make me a horrible person if I said we really can't help her and she's on her own?

tl;dr: Mom married a man with a 31 year old jobless stay at home daughter who wants to be respected and given authority over my 17 year old sister. After many failed attempts to get it through to her that she needs to back off, my sister is moving in with me. Our mom is saying the drama around this is affecting her marriage and wants us to make peace with this step sister, keep her involved and help her keep her marriage stable. Is it right for us to tell her that she's on her own?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Milotic posted:

I'm [24F] preparing for my sister [17F] to move in with me when she turns 18. Parents are accusing us of "breaking up the family"

If y'all didn't grow up with that woman she's your sister only by technicality and she sounds insufferable so gently caress that poo poo. If they were all kids in the 4-16 age range, sure, but sorry dumbfuck parents, the adults don't want to participate in your wannabe Brady Bunch cosplay.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Milotic posted:

Say no, then continuously insult retard goon sister so she throws tantrums all the time

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Milotic posted:

I'm of the opinion that step-siblings aren't really a thing unless you actually grew up with them. My mom married a guy when my sister and I were both adults, and we certainly didn't consider his kids relatives of ours at all. Or him for that matter. Luckily she divorced him and I don't have to think about that clusterfuck of idiocy ever again. The one kid is in prison for a few decades and the other one keeps knocking up his obese as gently caress girlfriend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

State that the only terms of peace you will consider is absolute surrender and then begin firebombing the sister.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TheSoulian posted:

Our [26f, 26m] neighbor [30s f] of 1 month is VERY extroverted and VERY clingy. We feel trapped in our apartment. She is being clingy even after talking to her about it. Help!

she'll hear our keys jingling

They live nextdoor to a cocker spaniel with separation anxiety. I would say that they need to start mixing up the cues that they are leaving, but apparently they are already doing that, so I guess it's time to put her down.*

*I don't think an actual dog with separation anxiety should be put down, just creepy neighbors.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Admiral Ray posted:

quote:

If they ask if she was harmed, or if anything was broken, and she can truthfully answer no to those then it's unlikely the boys in question will be charged with anything serious.

Yes, because when I see a charge called "Aggravated Menacing" I think, yes, that sounds like something which requires physical harm to the person or damage to property.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Skutter posted:

From what I hear from the states this seems like a good way to get shot, like even from a neighbor. Such a dumb prank, I always liked the pranks on 'Just For Laughs Gags', such as filming peoples reactions to funny situations. Rather then just terrify and harass a kid, then say "Its just a prank bro!" when things don't work out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shnag posted:

From what I hear from the states this seems like a good way to get shot, like even from a neighbor. Such a dumb prank, I always liked the pranks on 'Just For Laughs Gags', such as filming peoples reactions to funny situations. Rather then just terrify and harass a kid, then say "Its just a prank bro!" when things don't work out.

Its not a good way, its a great way.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shnag posted:

https://twitter.com/Well_Regulated_/status/1030235103547613184

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
This woman is an entitled mess

Me [F30] and my husband [M34] are trying to renovate our house with my father as our contractor [M55] and I am stuck in the middle.

quote:

u/WestMeasurement
Throw away. I'm going to try to keep this as brief as I can.

My husband and I have bought our home and we are starting to do renovations.

My father is a contractor and is finishing up on a full renovation for his sister. He does a wonderful job....but he is slow.

Even for his own home renovation it took him 3 years to finish because he wouldn't just put the time aside and work on our house instead of taking day jobs too. At least during our house renovation he didnt need the money he just can't really say no to clients.

He is very pushy about the things he likes and his opinions. He is stubborn. His first reaction to most things is a no. He is not a supporter. What I mean by this is that he is mostly negetive when you bring up new things to him he doesn't know about. I have had to argue and fight with him throughout my childhood in order for him to be supportive of things. To him, as long as we we're fed and had a roof that was enough. When I was a kid I got this because I saw how hard he worked and understood money was tight...but we don't have that issue anymore. I know all of this about him, but he also has some wonderful qualities. After his initial wave of no it can't be done he has supported me in life in the things that I have done. He has helped me pay for college and buy a car etc etc. I have come to expect a first glance of disappointment from him when I ask him to support me through something.

So now to the issue. When we bought the house we were initially depending on my dad to help us through the renovation. When it came time for it though he became very wishy washy saying yeah when I have time after finishing my sister's house and his other projects...

My husband is the complete opposite of him. He is more do it now and be done type of guy. So the fact that our renovation is in my dad's hands and up to the gods who will know when we will finish he is very frustrated. And I am stuck in the middle.

He keeps prompting that we take a loan and hire contractors just so we don't deal with my dad but that doesn't sit well with me. I feel that my dad should take care of me and I shouldn't have to go to someone else because I am his daughter. If he is going to do anything for anyone it should be me. Furthermore, I think it's understanding that he needs to take other jobs and finish with his sister's house without having to commit to our house. After all, he is doing us a favor. My husband however thinks very differently, to him if someone says they will do something they should just do it fast and if they can't say that they can't. He will make comments here and there about how other people can do it better or will give me looks when my dad is being pushy about something ....and I just can't handle it.

I am now stuck in the middle trying to be respectful of my father but also trying to please my husband. I can see both of their views and understand but I just don't know what to do.

I feel that because my husband is younger and my father is litterly doing all of this for free we should be thankful and put our heads down and deal with it. I just don't know if me telling him this is too cruel and I don't want him to resent me for it.

Before we moved in to the house there were talks of his sister moving in with us and I would make remarks about not wanting her too and he sat me down and told me he understood how I felt and didn't like the idea either but it was his family and he couldn't turn his back on that and I need to understand that and just shut up and trust that he would do whatever he could. And I did. I spoke no other words...if there were arguments about it I would not say anything. I feel that this is kind of the same....I am dealt with curtain cards and him as my partner needs to understand that my father is my father and just deal with it for me. If I was expected to deal with a potential third party moving into our home when we we're newly married and not say a word about it because it was the right thing to do I feel like he needs to do the same in this situation.

Am I wrong in saying that? I want to make sure how I really feel about it before having this conversation with him...

Tl;dr: I am stuck in the middle of my husband and my father during our house renovation and feel like I need to choose a side.

Never get family or family of friends or friends to do any sort of work or repairs. Give some money to some nice strangers you looked up on checkatrade and make a note of them for next time. Also your Dad should be there for you for things like bereavements and poo poo. Not free partition walls.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Dang, I guess in a way, those prank kids got off pretty lucky overall. I don't understand the push back the poor girl received for calling the cops, considering people being on the news for calling the cops over black people using coupons, just for existing etc, calling the police for masked intruders would seem to be a no brainer. Should she have psychically have known they were actually just pranksters, and that her life wasn't actually in danger?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shnag posted:

Dang, I guess in a way, those prank kids got off pretty lucky overall. I don't understand the push back the poor girl received for calling the cops, considering people being on the news for calling the cops over black people using coupons, just for existing etc, calling the police for masked intruders would seem to be a no brainer. Should she have psychically have known they were actually just pranksters, and that her life wasn't actually in danger?

Theyre teenagers facing possible real consequences so theyre lashing out at the only victim they can. Its why she should absolutely destroy this dudes life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Theyre teenagers facing possible real consequences so theyre lashing out at the only victim they can. Its why she should absolutely destroy this dudes life.

Yeah this.

It was incredibly reckless to not only break into the house but to bring a real knife? Jesus they are lucky they really didn't get shot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

QuarkJets posted:

"in situations where more than one kid had the same first name we'd usually use their last name or last initial to help differentiate them" - a mindblowingly dumb sentiment

I grew up in the military and kids would use their friends’ last names half the time. I guess the military formality rubbed off on us? I spent just as much time being called [name] as I did being called Mr. [surname]. DoDDS (Department of Defense Dependent Schools) teachers addressed us by our surnames more often than not.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

They did it because they were aware that they were attacking a young girl who would be scared and they were unlikely to be hurt or attacked in return

They're miserable garbage people and they deserve jail

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I have no idea what this word means, but all these people exhaust me. Probably skim read, I can’t be bothered to bold it

My friend (30F) says I'm (26F) being racist; am I?

quote:

u/RemarkableDress
Hey guys! I know this will probably sound somewhat petty because it happened on Facebook, but I am a white woman and I want to be more cognizant of how I affect other people of other cultures.

Over the weekend I put up a photo on my Facebook. It was the first thing I've posted in about two months.

The photo was of me standing next to a bunch of pillows in a store that someone had rearranged to spell "thot." I thought it was funny, but I am white and all I knew was that it was another word for "slut." I didn't know at the time that "thot" is from AAVE and that I was appropriating the language of the black community by posting it.

I had the photo up for about 24 hours before someone pointed it out to me. My male friend, also white, sent me an article or two explaining why it's offensive. I took the photo down and replaced it with something else. No harm, no foul, I thought. I made a mistake, I fixed it.

However, after I took the photo down, someone told me, "Hey, did you do that because of Diana's Facebook post?" (fake name btw)

I was like, "I didn't know Diana made a Facebook post..."

Apparently one hour after the photo went up, my friend Diana (who is black) posted a public Facebook status which read something to the effect of:

Thot is not a word for white women. This is a word from the black community. It is certainly not a word for white feminists to use to empower themselves and their friends. Get our words out of your mouth.

It had some likes from people that I knew. It hadn't shown up in my news feed, and after a whole day, if someone hadn't told me about it, I probably never would have seen it.

I felt conflicted. I agreed with Diana's message, that the word was from the black community and, now that I knew that, I knew I shouldn't be using the word. On the other hand, I felt hurt that there was a huge public step to make a Facebook status about how wrong what I did was, but nobody had taken the step to tell me that I was wrong first. There have been incidents in my community where people get into huge drawn-out Facebook battles, and I specifically stay away from most social media to avoid this.

I sent my friend a direct message instead of putting something on her status:

Hey, I want to say I'm really sorry for the picture. I didn't see your status until after I took it down.Diana, we've been friends for a long time. If I ever do or say something that offends you, hurts your feelings, or that you disagree with strongly, I would rather you tell me first and see how I respond before you make a public Facebook status about it. I know I'm a white woman, but I'm also your friend.I'm really sorry for ever having it up; you're right, that's not my word to use.

She responded:

It's great that you've changed the photo and recognize it's not your word, but I still have no problem making a Facebook post regarding it. I think you knew "thot" was wrong to use. As a friend to me and other black folks you should think about the effect you've had on the black community instead of dictating to me how to properly address you; your instinct to criticize my method of expressing myself is rooted in a racist judgment of how black women should behave.

I just said, "Fair enough," because I no longer had anything diplomatic to say, honestly, and I don't like saying too much on the internet because everyone I know screen shots things.

I feel really hurt. I wanted to tell her, "Diana, I swear, I didn't know it was wrong to use," but I don't think she would believe me. I know I hurt her feelings by not thinking through what I was posting and putting up something that made her feel like I was trying to take part of her culture, but I still feel like it's a breach of a friendship between two people to skip the step where you tell your friend they made a mistake, and immediately tell everyone on the internet how you feel.

Part of me feels like this is her saying, "We're not friends." My 'instinct to criticize' didn't come from a racist place, it came from a place of, "Hey friend, what gives?" If our racial identities supercede our identities as friends, that means that she doesn't see a problem going to extreme lengths if she sees something I've done as racist, right?

I also have a little bit of fear because Diana's friends are very into the "let's fight about politics on the internet" culture and have apparently "meme'd" people who we know in real life that they perceive to be bigots. Like, people in their 20s and 30s making memes of one another about political differences. I haven't seen any of these memes but it strikes me as very immature and I don't want to talk about this topic online with any of them because I don't want to be meme'd for being a racist when I really don't feel like I am.

Am I in the wrong here? I very well might be, and I can't tell if my hurt feelings are legitimate or just white girl tears. To be fair, I don't spend a lot of time on the internet having political conversations, and this friend of mine does, so I think we're coming from two different levels of knowledge entirely.

TL;DR - I (a white lady) made an offensive mistake, and then corrected it. My black female friend made a Facebook post about it before telling me. She is saying my reaction to her post is rooted in racism. Is she right?

I used to hang out in an IRC room with a thotbot, about a decade or so ago.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
^^
This is really stupid. Black people have plenty of legitimate reasons to get upset with society; this isn't one of them in my opinion.

Milotic posted:

This woman is an entitled mess

Me [F30] and my husband [M34] are trying to renovate our house with my father as our contractor [M55] and I am stuck in the middle.

Never get family or family of friends or friends to do any sort of work or repairs. Give some money to some nice strangers you looked up on checkatrade and make a note of them for next time. Also your Dad should be there for you for things like bereavements and poo poo. Not free partition walls.
When I was a kid, I helped my dad finish his basement. As an adult, I wanted to finish my basement as well. I thought my dad would help me as he said he would. Turns out that people don't really like committing to a huge project for free. I did everything myself over a few years. I hold no resentment at all because I wouldn't want to do all that poo poo for someone else either. Plus, now I get the satisfaction of doing everything myself.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Converting a potential serial killer into a social serf is a tricky maneuver, but well worth it depending on the size of your garden

social serf is an incredibly good term for it

their power is predicated almost entirely on how hard it is for a lot of people to say "no". I was always baffled how it worked, in fact I'm still kind of baffled, but a lot of people really do default to the path of least resistance to an extraordinary extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Milotic posted:

I have no idea what this word means, but all these people exhaust me. Probably skim read, I can’t be bothered to bold it

My friend (30F) says I'm (26F) being racist; am I?

I used to hang out in an IRC room with a thotbot, about a decade or so ago.

Sometimes callout-culture people have a legitimate point, sometimes they're just garbage people who jump at the opportunity to put someone else down in public and feel righteous while doing it

At any rate this person certainly does not consider herself to be OP's friend and OP should probably do likewise