Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

drunkill posted:

Its happening.

Dutton has the numbers is being spread via various sources.

Cormann, Cash and Fifield are in the PMO delivering the news to Turnbull.

Oh jeeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

drunkill posted:

Its happening.

Sources. Now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

drunkill posted:

Its happening.

this cant be true, if Cash is delivering the news the police would be there second and the media would be waiting for the police

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

asio posted:

It's not that they don't all have things in the past which are common, but the conclusions reached today are different, and are so different, that to try and make them the same for the sake of (???) runs into religious discrimination. It's like saying Australia is the same as the UK because once upon a time we shared the same national objectives.

Climate change isn't real because I found a dissenting opinion that agrees with me. Or another way: I have a medical illness, so I went to see a plumber for a cure. Please don't fall under the assumption that this is a new argument. There have been many attempts to reconcile the different ideas of how God has been revealed to humans. The differences between the religions is the result and are also the sources available that support my argument. However, since you were so good as to ask:

First council of Nicaea (specifically, "homousias" to describe the relationship between Father and Son) : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

Islam's rejection of the death and resurrection and the absence of Pentecost (and therefore the Trinity) : https://www.islam-guide.com/ch3-10.htm

Yes, there are different religions that share primary sources. No, this does not mean it is the same God.

I am also concerned that this attempt to make all religions the same comes from a place counter to the ideals of a cooperative society. Much has been made of the benefits of allowing people to define themselves. If one is to argue against one type of discrimination against Muslims (in this case, using it as a vehicle for racist dog-whistling), it seems counterproductive to discriminate against Islam in another way (that their religion is for naught). To say Islam is the same as Christianity seems to me another way of telling new Australians to "integrate" (whatever that means).

If this is not the case then all I am left with is the impression that your (and others) argument is coming from an ideological position, evangelising a religion (or none at all) other than Islam, Christianity or Judaism, which is a different discussion entirely.

Literally nothing you wrote there contradicts the original assertion that all three religions have the same original sources and God but have just interpreted things differently and come to seperate conclusions. You are arguing against a strawman - nobody said that the current religions are literally the same, only that their God is originally and essentially the same (viewed through the prism of their later documents, dogma and interpretations).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

this cant be true, if Cash is delivering the news the police would be there second and the media would be waiting for the police

Hah

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Literally nothing you wrote there contradicts the original assertion that all three religions have the same original sources and God but have just interpreted things differently and come to seperate conclusions. You are arguing against a strawman - nobody said that the current religions are literally the same, only that their God is originally and essentially the same (viewed through the prism of their later documents, dogma and interpretations).

whatever man, this poo poo’s boring who cares

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Dutton just released full legal advice that he is eligible anyone got a copy?

Remember when Joyce had legal advice that made both him and Turnbull confident he was safe.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Don Dongington posted:

If Dutton gets thwarted by s44 I think they will just call a snap election.

Won't they practically have to? If Dutton is ineligible they've lost their majority.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

:golfclap:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

Did the press have to search behind a couple of whiteboards to find her? Feasibly the police could have beaten them in this scenario.

Also, they're probably ghosting her already :smug:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

asio posted:

It's not that they don't all have things in the past which are common, but the conclusions reached today are different, and are so different, that to try and make them the same for the sake of (???) runs into religious discrimination. It's like saying Australia is the same as the UK because once upon a time we shared the same national objectives.

No, it's more like saying Australia and the UK are both Constitutional Monarchies, with different governments and legal systems but ultimately the same head of state, but others are right, this is boring when we've got a lot more interesting stuff going on in actual political discussion.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

iajanus posted:

My point is that someone attacked a racist who was using religion as the excuse and then that same religion was discriminated against directly using this line of argument. I'm drawing a comparison between the two types of discrimination and arguing against them both. The response to this argument has been to continue one type of discrimination. Australian society needs to deal with Islam because it's being used as an excuse for racism.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

Won't they practically have to? If Dutton is ineligible they've lost their majority.

They could just go to a byelection. Although in that scenario if Dutton was party leader I can see a vote of no confidence getting up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
ABC reports cash corman and fifield met with pm but this doesn't nessicarly mean anything

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Come on :auspol:, I demand satisfaction

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks belljar

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1032370586083680256?s=19

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

They could just go to a byelection. Although in that scenario if Dutton was party leader I can see a vote of no confidence getting up.

Dutton would lose. They would fare better by calling a snap general election.

If they lost majority then went to the polls, the media circus would hurt them even more than it presently has.

Also getup has a fighting fund specifically allocated to toppling Dutton I believe.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Chris Uhlmann, Nine’s political correspondent, has launched an extraordinary broadside against elements of News Corp and 2GB for their role in fomenting the current crisis. He says the Turnbull camp believes News Corp and 2GB are waging a war against the prime minister.

Uhlmann labels elements within those media companies as “bullies”.

Apparently, if you say that to them now, they get their knickers into a huge twist. Now if they want to be players in this game... if they are making phone calls to people, trying to push people over the line, they are part of this story. All I’m saying is, if they want to dish it out, they should be prepared to take it. They are among the biggest bullies in the land, and it’s about time people called them out for what they are. And if they don’t like that, they can come after me.

Ouch.

Forget longbows, its loving Agincourt

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Senor Tron posted:

Without the numbers in the house (including speaker) it doesn't matter if he's party leader.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If Dutton becomes leader but they no longer have the numbers to govern resulting in a dissolutipon of parliament I am going to laugh til I cry.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

If Dutton becomes leader but they no longer have the numbers to govern resulting in a dissolutipon of parliament I am going to laugh til I cry.

I think this is the exact best case scenario that Shorten has tried to engineer

It will deliver the biggest Labor majority in recent history.

They may even have a senate majority.

Probably not though, those things are dead and gone.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

Without the numbers in the house (including speaker) it doesn't matter if he's party leader.

Exactly.

Under normal circumstances you might see parties not try it during a byelection because they would worry about the public backlash. In a situation like this though, they would almost certainly go for it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Gahahahahahaahahahaha

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Cormann and Cash saying they went to 🎩 yesterday to say they didn't think he had the support of the Party. Met with him this morning to confirm they believe there should be a Party room meeting to resolve the leadership issue. They all tended their resignations. It's Cormann, Cash and someone else I don't recognise.

Edit: Fifield is the third harbinger.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

drunkill posted:

Its happening.

Blow me down this guys a true blood insider

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:auspol:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:tviv:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cash just wants whatever life raft that isn't attached to a ball and chain.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
ITS HAPPENING

:auspol:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

Cash just wants whatever life raft that isn't attached to a ball and chain.

dutton promised he'd speak to his friends in the afp to get the raid case swept under the rug

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

Forget longbows, its loving Agincourt

Nice historical reference

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Exactly.

Under normal circumstances you might see parties not try it during a byelection because they would worry about the public backlash. In a situation like this though, they would almost certainly go for it.

Further to this, when Joyce was out, Katter and McGowan guaranteed supply and support against any no confidence votes.

Katter thinks he can get another senator or maybe even a rep out of this so he'll want to go to an election under the most chaotic circumstances possible, where there's a higher chance of picking up disaffected liberal/national voters.

McGowan apparently doesn't support Peter Dutton.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Merry Spillmas every one

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
:auspol: this is so good.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
strong and stable

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

strong and stable

C O N T I N U I T Y

W I T H

C H A N G E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked