Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

zelah posted:

Tweet thread went private. Screenshots?

From someone in a different thread:

burial posted:

Original story:

Partial update by the person that originally shared this:

If there’s more after that, I couldn’t find it.

e: Should those be TIMG? I’m on a phone. They look fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

canyoneer posted:

The wedding shaming facebook group is a reliable source of grade A content. Your wedding may have been expensive, but was it helicopter rappelling horse archery expensive?

Nah this is actually kinda cool, at least its an interesting waste of money instead of "$500 jars of colored sand" for tables waste of money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Actually

ANY wedding is a waste of money

Because you can just do it at the courthouse

And love is not real

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Helicopters are extremely BWM.

Like a horse that flies and is loud.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sparkmaster posted:

Helicopters are extremely BWM.

Like a horse that flies and is loud.

Pegasi are even worse with money.

Jury's out on unicorns.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pegasi are even worse with money.

Jury's out on unicorns.

Pfft if you don't have pegacorns at your wedding.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Something something lol if you don't have Enrique riding in on a pegacorse.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Moneyball posted:

This is more Bad With Luck or Bad With Due Diligence, but

Bought a meth-contaminated house, now facing foreclosure

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9a1o8q/bought_a_methcontaminated_house_now_facing/?st=jl9q6lm4&sh=7f90b328

I'm confused. Why do they need to do anything? The neighbor said the tenants smoked meth, not that it was a meth lab. A house becomes contaminated due to all the toxic fumes from the manufacture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elephanthead posted:

Pfft if you don't have pegacorns at your wedding.

Pls don't spoil the My Little Pony season finale.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Something something lol if you don't have Enrique riding in on a pegacorse.

Poor Sparkles, thought of paratroopers and became a pegacorpse

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just lost my longest running card that had been opened when I was 18 because I didn’t use it for a year. It hurts a bit yea.

I have two credit cards. One of them I use sometimes for the Amazon points but usually pay it off every month. The other I never use - I opened it so I could do a low-interest balance transfer many years ago and it's sat with a zero balance for years. It's also a credit card through my local credit union.

I was informed that if I didn't use it within the month, they'd close the account.

I used it to buy a $2 candy bar. I've been waiting for the charge to show up for a week now so I could pay it off and it still isn't there.

edit: AWWW YEAH FINALLY

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 26, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm confused. Why do they need to do anything? The neighbor said the tenants smoked meth, not that it was a meth lab. A house becomes contaminated due to all the toxic fumes from the manufacture.

In the US (and other countries), many states have laws or regulations in place dictating what happens if a house is certified as being contaminated with meth. When this happens, the house is basically hosed - it goes on a statewide registry that any basic property search will turn up, and even if it is gutted down to the concrete and rebuilt it's not removed, only listed as "cleaned". You can probably imagine what stating "former meth house, fine now!" does for property values.

The problem is, like so many well intentioned rules, it's over-broad and vague. There's a legal responsibility for owners to disclose before selling if meth was consumed on the property, but you can imagine the self-compliance rate on that. Or the legal fun you'll have trying to sue them later. So there's no real way to know without getting it tested, which is where the second problem starts.

There's disagreement over what constitutes a problem. There's very little disagreement that a house used for full blown meth manufacture is likely contaminated as hell due to all the extremely toxic chemicals used to make it. There's less evidence that someone smoking meth, in a garage for example, is a problem. Testing will reveal both scenarios, and when it does if you are in a state/country that requires it the results of that test are reported and then (like this couple) you are hosed.

If you are thinking, "huh, I wonder if the companies that do meth tests have any connection to companies that charge to clean up meth contaminated houses? And if so, could they perhaps be prevalent in states that have mandatory disclosure laws?" then you are on the right track here.

The lovely thing for the couple dealing with the house in question, aside from the fact they bought a house from a methhead, is that out of an abundance of concern they paid for their own test and now they are jacked.

Only solution is to do the test before closing in this kind of situation. Which isn't yet very common because for the majority of sellers who aren't selling houses meth was consumed/manufactured in, telling them "hey, in addition to the home, termite, and foundation inspection, I want to get this tested for meth" puts a strain on negotiations. Easy to say "well, don't buy poo poo houses in poo poo areas" but not so simple, meth is all over the place and even folks who don't use it can have a lovely cousin or kid who does. It's not that common overall but this couple won the reverse lottery.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

fewer boring with money candy bar stories

"I get a new job every 6 months and financed a Rolex"

quote:

Mid 20's, how do you transition from college/wolf of wall street mindset to reality.

The title may be over-exaggerated, but kind of not really. I am a 25 year old male, residing in Southern California. After 6 jobs post college, I have been able to settle in a position that I am truly happy and passionate about. My income is ~85k and I have no debts; however, I barely have any money to my name. I party a lot, buy rounds for everyone, take spontaneous trips, give the same homeless guy $10, etc. - I like money but can't hold onto it.

​My rent is 1.5k
BMW is $400 for another 3 years
Rolex is $200 for another 2 years
Gym is $35 for forever
Music subscription $25 for forever

​Growing up scares the S out of me, but after writing this, I know what I need to do. Other than this, are there any tips or apps that helped YOU overcome this new life? I hate to be boring, being the person that "changed", as I believe that life is a party.

​This post is dumb and has no direction. I need to slap myself and grow up, while knowing that life can still be a spontaneous, fun adventure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Inept posted:

Link please

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TraderStav posted:

Link please
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9adauf/mid_20s_how_do_you_transition_from_collegewolf_of/

From the same guy:

Hiring a "tax professional" to help with my 1099 deductions and loopholes (self.Accounting)

quote:

[–]on_an_island 14 points 1 month ago

quote:

loopholes

You gotta lay off that cringe word. Six years in the biz + school and I’ve never heard it once..except from the media or whoever talking about tax and accounting concepts they don’t understand...

[–]LiveFutura[S] 0 points 1 month ago
Wolf of Wall Street is my favorite movie

quote:

I am seeking for help. I am currently a 1099 employee; however, my nature of work as a "Project Manager" is exactly what a W2 worker would be (I had 5+ W2 jobs before this one).

This is a startup company, which is saying that we are will become W2 employees within a year; however, I am preparing for the upcoming tax year. As a project manager, I currently deal with 100+ "clients". We have an official PO box address; however, I commute to my boss's house everyday in order to conduct work, which is different than the official "work address".

I am truly scared for taxes. Currently, I bring up 3600 per month, untaxed (which is a 45k salary), untaxed. I have been/need to save up for taxes, but I am looking for any loopholes or deductions that I could take advantage of.

I recently bought a 25k car - can I deduct this in anyway? If so, how?

What else is tax deductible?

Please help - I am so lost in the dark and need to adequately prepare.
Dude's probably going to get hosed over by trying to be clever on his taxes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm the "(untaxed)" income.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I like all the posts in that reddit thread are focusing on the music sub and the rent when like 3k of post tax money apparently evaporates without any comment.

* no budget for food
* no budget for utilities
* no budget for gas, insurance and the incidental costs of car ownership
* no budget for entertainment

it's like a portrait of zuarg as a young man

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Inept posted:

A Rolex Submariner or Daytona will be worth what you paid for it for a long time. Financing a BMW was actually the worse decision here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

A Rolex Submariner or Daytona will be worth what you paid for it for a long time. Financing a BMW was actually the worse decision here.

It's still dumb as hell to tie up income in a watch in that situation even if you can unload it on someone else, because a watch is relatively easy to lose or damage.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
watch equity

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dude has no savings, bad spending habits, and is sinking tons of money into a watch that will "hold its value" (lose value based on inflation)

At least the BMW gets him to work!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the schadenfreude thread or this thread, but since we're on a tax tangent again...

CRA's tax evasion snitch line raked in 32,000 leads last year

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude has no savings, bad spending habits, and is sinking tons of money into a watch that will "hold its value" (lose value based on inflation)

At least the BMW gets him to work!

The Rolex gets him to work on time*.

*may not actually keep accurate time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
College-aged guy at my local library was sitting with his laptop. The laptop had a big bumper-sticker on the lid with text made out of Matrix-green 1's and 0's. The text spelled out "HODL."

loving idiot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always got a cash payout from the register at the end of the night equal to my CC tips. I'm pretty sure my boss was dodging a lot of taxes though.

You normally would, then they would withhold the taxes out of your pittance of hourly wages.

Or not, and leave your rear end on the hook to have it when the IRS comes knocking.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Midjack posted:

It's still dumb as hell to tie up income in a watch in that situation even if you can unload it on someone else, because a watch is relatively easy to lose or damage.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to finance a Rolex if you are an entry level striver, I'm saying that many BWM things this thread loves to hate make money disappear faster than Rolex watches, such as luxury cars, horses, weddings, and takeout lunches. Just as a point of fact you can sell a new Submariner or GMT for over MSRP if you are willing to wait like 18 months to get one from a dealer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 26, 2018

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just as a point of fact you can sell a new Submariner or GMT for over MSRP if you are willing to wait like 18 months to get one from a dealer

Patience and self-restraint are not the usual domain of this kind of spender. Maybe if Rolex made marshmallows...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sundae posted:

College-aged guy at my local library was sitting with his laptop. The laptop had a big bumper-sticker on the lid with text made out of Matrix-green 1's and 0's. The text spelled out "HODL."

loving idiot.

Wtf is HODL?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Rolex's because it's an easy way to identify those you should never trust

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Wtf is HODL?

A rather stupid cryptocurrency meme based off a typo from a lunatic bitcoiner that crypto-fans decided should become their slogan.

Edit:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2018

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's also been bacronymed to "Hold On for Dear Life" which is perfect for cryptocurrency markets

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
To be fair, BTC is up from 1200 December 2013 peak to whatever it's at now. So I guess that guy is still a winner.

That said, he probably lost his USB stick or had it all in MtGox or something so it's probably gone anyway.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jack2142 posted:

Wtf is HODL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYZoQQ6LJQ

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus, weddings are an endless source of BWM. GF's sister recently had a wedding which by BWM thread standards wasn't too outrageous (I guesstimated it to $8-9k), but man they can't afford it at all. The sister also took for granted that my GF and some friend would organize a hen party as well. It took so much time and planning even if it was simple. But with different work schedules and stuff it was a nightmare.
At the same time the sister owes money to multiple family members, including her widowed grandmother on a pension.

At least we've gotten our money back (took years though), and haven't been lending any more money for years.

This is also the same couple that go and buy a cheap rear end lovely car without even test driving it. They then lied to her dad about having tested it when it broke down on the way home. Oh and of course they expected her dad to come and fix it for them for free.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Loaning money to relatives is BWM, if you can't or won't gift it, don't do it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Heck, you'd be a fool NOT to finance a $5,000 watch at age 25! The interest fees practically pay for themselves.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What if... I mean, I know this is crazy and all, but bear with me...

What if we don't take out a loan for a BMW OR a watch? :tviv:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Sundae posted:

What if... I mean, I know this is crazy and all, but bear with me...

What if we don't take out a loan for a BMW OR a watch? :tviv:

But then my peers might look more successful than me

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What do you spend your money on then?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Expensive and under-performing financial advisors.