Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

loquacius posted:

I would have guessed "a lot of people" since the situations in which one usually takes ecstasy and the situations in which one probably drinks booze overlap a lot (parties, nightclubs, etc, anywhere you go to dance really)

and also since the kind of people I think of when I imagine who does ecstasy are not the most responsible of users

but I'm not a nightclub-scene guy; are people actually conscientious about not mixing those two things?

It's more that you're really not thirsty when you're on MDMA and kinda have to consciously remind yourself to drink water so you don't suffer overheat and croak. Sure, you might drink a bottle of beer or something, but actually getting drunk sounds like a very conscious and misguided effort. The MDMA should be more than enough on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lastly, and I'm not sure it even matters now, but there's the issue of all the ways my wife broke my trust. It's not just the cheating, it's also how she always presented herself as someone ethically offended by teacher-student relationships.
She was always predatory upon students and finally got caught.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MrQwerty posted:

She was always predatory upon students and finally got caught.

Yeah, jus because the person is a part of the moral brigade doesn't mean they're innocent. One of my gf's former roommates was a high school teacher and she had an affair with a kid once he graduated. She was discovered and forced to relocate to a different district - different city in fact. When we called her on it she said (paraphrasing) "what's the big deal, he's 18 now?" and we were all "dude, you've known him since he was 14." That seemed to be a non-issue to her so most of her friends just bowed out of her life.

I thought that kind of thing would be the coffin lid on a teacher's career, but maybe some schools have a more Papal approach to incidents like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [42/F] with my Boyfriend [27M] thinks I am difficult with food

quote:

I do most of the cooking. He is a good cook but he has very different ideas about food safety from me which is unusual as he is very Type A in other aspects of his life. I don't want to eat week old bread or eggs that are miles out of date. He thinks I am being fussy and gets all bent out of shape when I refuse to. He made chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker Tuesday night. It sat there until this morning when he asked if I could put the one drumstick that was left and the 'stock' in the freezer. I was going to give it to the cat. It had been sitting out on the counter for 36 hours and the liquids it was cooked in is not stock by any definition.

He chucked a wobbly when I questioned if we would really use it again. I have no problem if he wants to eat it, but I sure as hell won't be. He puts a lot of pressure on me to eat things I don't feel comfortable with from a food safety perspective. I'm not backing down as I get to decide what goes in my mouth.

I'm not some food nazi. There is virtually zero food wastage when I cook. If there are leftovers I will happily eat them the next day or rechauff them into another meal. I just don't want to eat out of date food or things that haven't been stored correctly

I know it's minor but it makes him really upset and I don't feel he is respecting my choices. I would never try and make someone eat something they are not comfortable with.

TL/DR BF gets angry when I won't eat food I don't feel comfortable with eating from a food safety standpoint. I think it is gross. He thinks I am fussy.

Edit: Updatey thing. Thanks for all your replies. I've read them but 5 minutes after my last post I got a frantic phone call from my mother that my dad (83) was ill and need to go to A+E and I needed to haul my arse up there as she can't drive. Anywho it turns out he had food poisoning most likely from eating some roast chicken that must have been in the fridge for a week. Oh the irony.

quote:

[–]anthropomorphist 55 points 2 years ago

Take him to a basic food hygiene class? This is not you being fussy these are safety standards.

[–]coochers 11 points 2 years ago

This would definitely help! Probably would change his views on food safety.

[–]ChopsNZ [S] 28 points 2 years ago

He wouldn't go. He is an Engineer and thinks he know everything already ha ha ha

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Ugh, just let him get food poisoning and die then.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Just fix his tendies like he wants them, sex-mom.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Know-it-all engineers seem really loving stupid.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Haifisch posted:

Me [42/F] with my Boyfriend [27M]

You can just stop right there

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xenocides posted:

Hi main concern in the middle of a divorce precipitated by his wife trying to cheat on him is his personal reputation? Kudos for coolness in the midst of adversity I guess.

I mean, it seems less like his main concern, and more like the one concern he thinks he might be able to get some internet advice on.

Ex-Boyfriend claims I owe him money for simply dating him. USA, Virginia

quote:

I recently broke up with my boyfriend and now he claims I owe him $15K.

We were together for 2 years. During this time I was a college student with very limited income. When we first started dating I explained this to him and he was OK with paying for pretty much everything. This mostly consisted of Friday nights out/food/drinks. Maybe 3 or 4 small vacations (we always drove, not super expensive hotels etc). I would stay at his house most weekends and I stayed for winter and summer breaks while still paying rent for my own apartment that I didn't really use during those times.

We had verbal agreements that I would pay rent when capable, like during the summer when I had an internship. I graduated recently and had been paying for all our outings and 50% of all rent and utilities for the past 3 months. I had made verbal statements that I would "pay back what's owed" or "pay for all our outings etc". I'm 99% sure I've never made any specific statements in writing that I have to pay him anything.

His $15k number is a long vague list by month with categories like "Groceries, Restaurants, Liquor, and Misc". It almost looks like he just dumped his CC bill into a spreadsheet.

I'm considering paying him about $2k for leftover rent and a vacation that I did promise to help pay for even if I have no obligation to do so.

My real question is does he have any kind of case against me if he tries to take me to court?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Araenna posted:

Ex-Boyfriend claims I owe him money for simply dating him. USA, Virginia

You've made repeated verbal agreements, OP. You admit to them, in this very post! So he has a case, but I'm pretty sure you will both be out more on lawyers than any recompense he'll ever get.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The best part is the ex might have hosed himself out of the 2k OP actually agreed to help pay for:

quote:

[–]WakeAndTake 157 points 6 hours ago

OP should not pay the $2k as it creates a precedent than non-written 'debts' could be considered collectable. He'll see the $2k and clamor for the $13k remaining.

Best bet is to sit tight and respond to any legal filing

[–]1z1z2x2x3c3c4v4v 34 points 4 hours ago

I agree with this. OP should not pay the ex anything at this point.

With a documented agreement on what this payment is for, it can only hurt the OP going forwards.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I think six months back the thread agreed it’s ok to roundhouse kick dogs if they’re coming for your suit. What about this?

I [26M] Killed My Girlfriend's [25F] Parents Dog In Self Defense And We're On The Verge Of Breaking Up

quote:

u/SignificantParsley
My girlfriend's parents, who I'll call Jane and John, have a notoriously vicious doberman, who I'll call Satan, they refuse to train. It killed a cat in their neighborhood a few years back and has aggressively gone after visitors and neighbors when it gets off the leash. I've refused to go over to their house since meeting her for this reason, and as a result any visits we've had her parents came to us.

My girlfriend had a falling out with her closest friend recently and it's been a rough few weeks on her. Her parents asked her (and me, they always extend an invite despite me never going) over for dinner and family time to cheer her up. I agreed to go as I figured it might make her happy to actually have me attend, but I told her I would only go if Satan was kept in the basement (finished basement with a door) while I was there. She agreed, and we both spoke to her parents on the phone and they agreed.

We showed up and I had her go in to ensure Satan was in the basement, which it was. Everything was going great, John gave me a little tour and showed me their backyard and some bags of sand he needed moved, and the four of us started to cook dinner together. Jane realized she was missing vegetables and asked if my girlfriend would run to the store with her, so they left. John asked me if I'd help him move the sand since neither of us are great cooks, and led me to the backyard, leaving the sliding door open.

About 5 minutes in I hear John yelling to "watch out" from inside the house. Satan comes barreling out the patio door, down the steps and immediately lunges for me. I start trying to back up calmly while telling Satan to gently caress off, and he keeps making lunges for me. John (mid 60's with mobility issues) comes out of the house and helpfully decides to start screaming at the dog which only makes things worse. I kick at Satan when he lunges for me, and he grabs my leg. I'm on the ground while John comes over and tries to pull Satan by the collar and I try to push my finger into its eye and hit it in the snout and end up getting bitten badly and held by my left arm. At this point I yell at John to move back and use my pocket knife (again, rural area, not abnormal to carry) to free myself.

John is apologizing profusely, and said Satan was whining in the basement so he went down to comfort him and he slipped out. He offers an ambulance which I decline, so we put polysporin on my arm and leg and we get ready to leave in his car to the hospital. My girlfriend and Jane get home and start panicking and I tell them what happened as I get into John's car. Both of them immediately rush to the backyard, my girlfriend not even asking if I'm ok, to tend to the dog.

John waited with me until I was evaluated and released and Jane came in the meantime to tell us Satan died at the shelter and to apologize. I asked why my girlfriend wasn't there and Jane said I'd have to talk to her myself. When I got home, I asked her where she was. She told me with Satan, and asked me "how I could kill a dog." No question about how I am, no comfort for what I had to do, nothing. I tell her I'm sorry, that I tried to back away, tried kicking it but it bit me. She keeps asking "why" I had to kill it, why I couldn't have tried other things, then accused me of killing it right away "because I was always afraid of it." This eventually made me blow up, tell her that her parents cared more about my well-being than she does and that I wasn't going to let myself get mauled to protect a loving dog. She left and we haven't spoken since sunday, she's at her parents house and John called to check on me and told me they're talking to her.

So here we are. Neither of us willing to budge. She believes I should have done more to get Satan off me non-lethally and seems to think I killed it because I wanted to. I believe I did my best, had very little time or opportunity to react to a dog that had severely aggressive tendencies for years and while I didn't want to kill it I'd rather it die than leave me disfigured. I've grown up in a small town around free roaming dogs my whole life, I know when they just want to scare you and when they plan to rip you to shreds and this dog had murderous intent. I don't know how to communicate with her or make her see my side, and I feel betrayed and hurt she isn't even attempting to view this from my point of view. I understand she's going through a lot, but I feel like she's taking it out on me. How do we fix this?

TL;DR Girlfriend's parents vicious dog attacked me, I killed it to protect myself. Girlfriend seems completely indifferent to my experience and blames me for my actions, left home and refuses to speak to me. I feel hurt and betrayed. What do we do?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Milotic posted:

I think six months back the thread agreed it’s ok to roundhouse kick dogs if they’re coming for your suit. What about this?

I [26M] Killed My Girlfriend's [25F] Parents Dog In Self Defense And We're On The Verge Of Breaking Up

It was a good kill, Brent. Drop her like she dropped you to worry about that badly trained murderbeast.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Milotic posted:

Jesus Christ. Do people just not know what dogs are capable of? If your pet kills somebody, you still gotta put it down. Maybe try training it next time, idiots.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

phasmid posted:

Jesus Christ. Do people just not know what dogs are capable of?
"But he's so cuuuuute! This is just how dogs are! It's just a little roughhousing! Why do you want me to be mean to him?" -Every lovely dog owner on the planet.

People who actually understand what dogs are capable of either don't have dogs or train them properly.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I've seen a lot of gnarly dog maulings of children at work and it's really changed how I view dogs.

Most are fine, but some are untrained murderbeasts that need to be put down (and so do their owners).

I would never let my kid around a strnage dog unless I was right there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My (21F) friend (20F) told me I'm not allowed to use a saying to describe my mental illness. How do I respectfully tell her that she hurt me and I'm going to keep using it?

quote:

(Preferably in a way that I can do without crying, so concise I guess).

I have suffered from depression for the last ten years of my life. I got diagnosed at twelve, three years after my mom died because my "grieving" wasn't progressing the way it should have been (I personally know I felt that way before and after my mom died). It's affected my life in a lot of different ways, but because of stigma from family members I always felt weak and would usually cry if I talked about its effects/my emotions/needs.

Recently, I heard about the "spoons" theory. I love it! It gives me a concise way to say that I can't do something, or that the day is going to be hard, without me feeling like I have to brush up on my emotions too close to it. My friend (Eliza) asked me if something was wrong a couple of days ago, to which I just replied that I was low on spoons. I had work the day before and I had borrowed spoons to also be able to clean, so the day I talked to Eliza it was hard to even focus on conversation.

She replied, "Spoons are only for those with chronic illnesses. I don't think you can use it." I was floored.

I hesitantly brought up that I felt like mental illnesses (since a lot go through life with you) should also allow someone to use the spoon theory. She was insistent. "No, spoons are only for those who have a chronic illness. It's for those that physically don't have the energy for something. Like my partner, who has Lupus and is a spoonie."

I just replied "Yeah, okay." Because I couldn't have that argument then. I spent the rest of the day in bed, crying and feeling lovely for using terminology not meant for me. But I spent some time later looking up who should use it and a lot of people agree that mental illness is a valid reason to use spoons.

She and I hang with the same crowds a lot, and I want to keep using it. However, I don't want Eliza to call me on it anymore, especially around other friends. I also want to mend the rift, but am unsure how.

tl;dr: I use spoon theory to describe my issues. My friend says since its for mental illness, and not chronic illness, that I can't use the terminology. How can I tell her that I'm going to keep using it?

Just start a rumor about how she disrespected mental illness and bask in the glory of being the top dog in your lovely tumblr-conceived social circle. :shrug:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

La Brea Carpet posted:

I've seen a lot of gnarly dog maulings of children at work and it's really changed how I view dogs.

Most are fine, but some are untrained murderbeasts that need to be put down (and so do their owners).

Conversely, I don't think my older dog would attack a kid and I know my younger dog wouldn't, but my older dog has a lot of anxiety and tends to do a lot of aggressive posturing around strangers so we just would never let him around small kids. Even if he's just bluffing it's not good.

He's never bitten anyone or attacked another dog but part of that is us not putting him in those situations where that could happen.

EDIT: Good on you for not letting your kids around strange dogs. There's a reason I was taught to always ask before going to pet or approach a dog... unfortunately not all pet owners acknowledge when their pets are not safe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dog maulings are loving grody. It’s like raptor slashes, birds don’t gently caress around

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
From the comments of helldog story:

quote:

My aunt used to have an out of control German Shepherd. It wasn’t vicious, but it was big, completely out of control, and dangerous. My aunt has never been able to control any of her animals, but this was the first one that was legitimately dangerous.

When I was 10 or so, I was laying on the couch and the dog grabbed me by the leg, dragged me off the couch, and started shaking me like a chew toy. Even though my aunt was nearby, I screamed at the top of my lungs for my mom to come help because even in my panicked state, I knew my aunt wasn’t going to be able to get this dog off of me.

My aunt stood there yelling at the dog but didn’t even approach it. I kept screaming for my mom until she came running in the room, tackled the dog, and threw it in the basement. I sincerely believe that if my mom hadn’t been in the house, I would’ve ended up in the hospital. My mom took me out of the house and promised me I’d never be back there unless the dog was locked in the basement.

My aunt had no understanding of what happened to me, even after she saw it with her own eyes. As the other parents in the family all decided not to let their kids around the dog, my aunt continued to insist that the dog was a sweetheart and what had happened wasn’t a big deal. My aunt completely deluded herself.

At this point, the dog has been dead for about 5 years, and my aunt loves to talk about what a great dog it was and how everyone loved it (everyone was terrified of it). She has completely rewritten history.

The reason I’m telling you this story is because every time I hear my aunt talk about how great that dog was, I’m filled with rage. I want to slap her and tell her that that drat dog almost ripped my leg off and nobody liked it. There’s no point because she’s deluded herself about it, but I still get SO ANGRY.

Even if your girlfriend decides to stay with you, she’s always going to talk about that dog like it was a sweet angel and you killed it just because you wanted to. You don’t deserve to have to deal with that. Don’t keep dating someone who’s deluded themselves into thinking their monster was a sweet dog, and that you’re a horrible person because you didn’t just lay there and get mauled.
Dogs will absolutely rip you apart if bad training and temperament lead them to. lovely owners won't care even after there's an injury/body count. Their dog is always a sweet angel in their mind and you're unfair if you think otherwise.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Haifisch posted:

From the comments of helldog story:

Dogs will absolutely rip you apart if bad training and temperament lead them to. lovely owners won't care even after there's an injury/body count. Their dog is always a sweet angel in their mind and you're unfair if you think otherwise.

Daily sight in Seattle: techdouches and basic bitches walking shittily-trained giant dogs, dogs who spend almost every waking weekday hour cooped up alone in 600 square foot apartments.

Putting aside the danger and safety issues (I learned very quickly to make sure I keep my 10 pound mutt well away from any big dog while waiting for a crosswalk), it’s just cruel to keep a dog that size in such small housing.

But the people who keep dogs as accessories are also usually using them as ersatz personalities (lacking any interesting features themselves) so what can you expect?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On a lighter note:

Me [M19] and my girlfriend [F21] got into a fight over eggs.

quote:

I'm living with a friend for the summer between semesters of college. My girlfriend was over. I let her know I was going to make a fried egg and peanut butter sandwich, and asked her if she wanted one. She said no and commented on how gross that sounded.

We didn't have any bread, so I ended up making a fried egg and putting some peanut butter on it. After sitting down to eat she asked if she could try some. I told her no, but offered to make some just for her. I was a little upset she'd called the food I was making "She said no, and that she didn't want her own, just wanted to try mine. I refused and this sparked a huge fight.

Obviously I'm going to try to work things out, but am I in the wrong?

EDIT: The reasons I didn't want to share were because I was a little upset she'd called my food gross and also because she'd originally declined my offer to make some for her.

EDIT 2: Seriously eggs and peanut butter is delicious.

TL;DR Girlfriend and I are in a huge fight over fried eggs and peanut butter.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Haifisch posted:

On a lighter note:

god drat fuckin savage

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Darn it, now I want to try peanut butter on my fried egg.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

On a lighter note:

Your girlfriend is right you wretch

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Milotic posted:

Should have put her down also IMO.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

La Brea Carpet posted:

This is why I hate pitbull owners. I know someone who's dog literally ate someone's face, yet she still posts stuff on Facebook about how pitbulls are sweet, loving dogs.

And I'm not misusing the word literally, the person needed extensive reconstructive surgery.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Haifisch posted:

On a lighter note:

Eggs and peanut butter are great, I didn't know it was weird to like that combo.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Haifisch posted:

On a lighter note:

I used to think the old Homestarrunner cartoon where Strong Bad forms a new nation to escape those mocking him for putting ketchup on eggs was hyperbole. Guess not.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Why put the peanut butter on eggs when I can just eat twice as much peanut butter with a spoon straight out of the jar.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Eggs and peanut butter own, especially on top of a waffle.

I would have given her a bite, but I kinda respect the "no" here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Eggs and peanut butter own, especially on top of a waffle.

I would have given her a bite, but I kinda respect the "no" here.

I respect that he does not compromise, even in the face of oblivion.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Barudak posted:

I respect that he does not compromise, even in the face of oblivion.

It's very righteous, like Jesus flipping the money table, or Austin stunnering McMahon.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
You want the real poo poo? A toasted bacon and over-hard egg sandwich, with lots of peanut butter. It's unreal how many of the flavor boxes it ticks.

E: if you have access to a panini-press, it makes it even better.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 29, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He is Roland, knowing he is betrayed but not blowing the horn.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

tactlessbastard posted:

Your girlfriend is right you wretch

Let the man eat his drat pb eggs. Nothing worse than someone harping on you telling you how to eat things.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I hate my parents! I hate 'em!!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dannywilson posted:

You want the real poo poo? A toasted bacon and over-hard egg sandwich, with lots of peanut butter. It's unreal how many of the flavor boxes it ticks.

E: if you have access to a panini-press, it makes it even better.

I have all those ingredients, so hello tomorrow’s breakfast!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I [26M] Killed My Girlfriend's [25F] Parents in a Fight Over Eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have all those ingredients, so hello tomorrow’s breakfast!

So if you do it, butter the outside of the bread and fry it like a grilled cheese instead of toasting if you really wanna go whole hog.