Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Van Dis posted:

Hmm. What hardshells do you recommend?

Delsey Helium Aero Hardside Spinner. My wife travels for work at least once a month with either the 21" carry on or the 25" and loves them and hasn't had any complaints in three years and they're a favorite with her consultant buddies. I got a 21" a year or two ago and have really liked it the dozen or so times I've used it. Sturdy handle, sturdy shell, expandable, rolls well in any direction, doubles as a stool in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What's the general cutoff size for carry-on vs must be checked in?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bamhand posted:

What's the general cutoff size for carry-on vs must be checked in?

From a 2-second google search I found this

The universally accepted carry-on luggage size for a domestic flights (within the U.S.) is 22" x 14" x 9"

But I've taken larger bags in the past so YMMV

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Most of my flights end up being on small shuttles and they make people check in their larger carry on items when they board (no additional fee but still holds you up at the airport). I guess I'm mainly worried about that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm taking care of my mom's house here in central Florida & I need to replace the refrigerator and over-the-stove microwave here. Labor Day sales are abundant & I'm trying to figure out what would be best with these criteria:

-Budget is ~$1000 for the refrigerator, ~$120 for the microwave.
-Color needs to be white.
-Want the refrigerator to be bottom freezer/French doors. Ice maker good but water dispenser unnecessary.

What say you, goons?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm taking care of my mom's house here in central Florida & I need to replace the refrigerator and over-the-stove microwave here. Labor Day sales are abundant & I'm trying to figure out what would be best with these criteria:

-Budget is ~$1000 for the refrigerator, ~$120 for the microwave.
-Color needs to be white.
-Want the refrigerator to be bottom freezer/French doors. Ice maker good but water dispenser unnecessary.

What say you, goons?

What wacky shenanigans did you get into that caused the refrigerator and microwave to be destroyed?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Iron Crowned posted:

What wacky shenanigans did you get into that caused the refrigerator and microwave to be destroyed?

the microwave stopped working a while ago. The refrigerator recently started leaking.

I don't live here & the house has been empty on & off for the last year, so getting these things fixed weren't priorities.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Are you sure you want bottom freezer? We kind of hate ours and we can no longer freeze jugs of apple cider.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's what my sister suggested, mainly because this house is in a neighborhood of old people & when we do rent it out, it's easier for the elderly to get frozen stuff out of bottom shelves than a side-by-side or a top freezer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's what my sister suggested, mainly because this house is in a neighborhood of old people & when we do rent it out, it's easier for the elderly to get frozen stuff out of bottom shelves than a side-by-side or a top freezer.

Because elderly people are well known for being able to bend down and pick things up much better than things at higher levels?

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
What are some good non-American based candies? Amazon available helps, though I'd likely seek anything out. Prefer individually wrapped hard candy, though I'm open to anything that looks interesting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FakePoet posted:

What are some good non-American based candies? Amazon available helps, though I'd likely seek anything out. Prefer individually wrapped hard candy, though I'm open to anything that looks interesting.

Mikakuto Milk Candy is absolutely delicious.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

FakePoet posted:

I asked this a while back (minus the non-American requirement) and got some suggestions that I either never tried or weren't my thing:
* Chinese Guava hard candy
* Milkita Honeydew Melon Milk Candy
* Sakuma Drops
* Amira Tamarind Candy

I ordered a bunch of other stuff and these are the ones I liked best, minus the American ones:
* Cavendish & Harvey (German) - The best hard candy IMO. The pear and blackberry are especially good.
* Bassetts Sherbert Lemons (UK) - super lemony with fizzy lemony insides
* Kopiko Coffee Candy (Indonesia) - both the coffee and cappuccino are good, the cappuccino is a lot sweeter

A couple US favorites, JIC:
* Raley's Confectionary is a goon who makes really good hard candy.
* Key Lime discs

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rock candy is the best candy and doesn't seem very popular or well-known in the US outside of Raley's shop linked above, so you should get some of that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rock candy looks great but is a slobbery mess to eat and you might as well just suck on a sugar cube as far as flavor goes.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Snowy posted:

Rock candy looks great but is a slobbery mess to eat and you might as well just suck on a sugar cube as far as flavor goes.

Raley's is this kind of rock candy

Not the crystals on a stick stuff.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

FakePoet posted:

Perugina Rossana: Italian hard candy with cream/almond filling

Gallito Guayabita: Costa Rican chocolate with guava filling

Pulparindo: Mexican spicy tamarind candy

Gallito also make Copetines which are chocolate with liquor filling and are pretty good too, but they were relaunched just recently and are not yet available in amazon

Simone Poodoin has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Sep 5, 2018

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Lots of good suggestions, my cart is filling up pretty quickly. Thanks.

I actually have some of the guava candy, likely from the last time it came up. I like it, though it's hit and miss with co-workers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need to get a new type cover for my Surface.
There are some knock-offs/third party brands with good reviews and about half the price.

Anyone have experience with them?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FakePoet posted:

If you like a solid blast of citric acid, I absolutely gently caress with Nobel Super Cola/Lemon.

It looks like they also have ginger/ramune flavors that are harder to track down but the local place I get it from never carries them.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Power of Pecota posted:

If you like a solid blast of citric acid, I absolutely gently caress with Nobel Super Cola/Lemon.

It looks like they also have ginger/ramune flavors that are harder to track down but the local place I get it from never carries them.

Japanese Super Zotz? Sign me up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a place were you can search for furniture by dimensions?

I need a cabinet that is kinda squat; wide but short to use as a mouse cage platform/food and toy cabinet.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I need a cabinet that is kinda squat; wide but short to use as a mouse cage platform/food and toy cabinet.

What kind of dimensions are you looking for and what kind of storage? Maybe just posting here someone can help point you towards something similar.

Otherwise I've had pretty decent luck just literally typing the dimensions into google and using helpful keywords. You're going to get a lot of garbage of course but sometimes you'll find exactly what you're looking for. Just simple stuff like "18in tall bedstand" or "33in long table" and then filtering through the results. Think about types of furniture that might already be similar to the size you're looking for even if it's not typically used for the same purpose. Like if you wanted a thin, wide cabinet for your bedroom you might look for simple bathroom cabinets for instance, since those are typically thin and then filter though those to find one of a suitable height/width. Even though you don't plan to use it in your bathroom of course.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Wayfair has a thing if you click "show all filters" you can set minimum and maximum width/height/depth for each. I used it when I was getting a desk for a weirdly shaped nook in my goon cave home office and it worked well, but it doesn't look like every category has that so YMMV.

e: Furniture > Accent Furniture > Cabinets & Chests has the sliders to play with dimensions and it seems like the category you need.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Welp, pretty sure my headphones fell out of my pocket at the store and now they're gone. Please give me your best/favorite headphones that meet the following:

Wired
Ear buds (in-ear is fine)
Have an in-line mic and start/stop button
$35-40 price point

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

if you want something basic, you could get it made to measure.

There are loads of places online that will do it, office furniture can usually also be made to measure.

And if you want something nice, and are willing to spend, a carpenter/cabinet maker can do pretty much anything.

Or, just search for sideboards.

Horse Clocks has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Sep 26, 2018

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Welp, pretty sure my headphones fell out of my pocket at the store and now they're gone. Please give me your best/favorite headphones that meet the following:

Wired
Ear buds (in-ear is fine)
Have an in-line mic and start/stop button
$35-40 price point

There's a thread in IYG for that:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

We have plaster walls in our new, very tiny (500 sq. ft.) apartment. We have picture rail molding, however, and I'm trying to find a shelving system or at least a clothes rack/bar that could hang from the picture rail. Any ideas?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there a considered best water repellent for car windows? Need to apply a treatment and get new wipers

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there a considered best water repellent for car windows? Need to apply a treatment and get new wipers

I always suggest PPG Aquapel for this application.

Similar effect to Rain-X but lasts about 6 months instead of a few weeks between applications. Some chain parts stores carry them individually but they're prohibitively expensive, I'd suggest buying in volume on Amazon. I typically use two per car per application, one for the windshield and another for the front door glass and mirrors but YMMV depending on the size of your vehicle and how large the windows being treated are.

e: also when applying the cleaner you get your glass the longer the treatment will last. I usually give my windshield a thorough cleaning with a good commercial glass cleaner and microfiber, then follow that up with clay bar, a highly-refined clay that picks up dirt and other contaminants off of glossy paint and glass.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Oct 23, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Only problem I’ve found with aquapel right now is that there are tons of fakes floating around.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I accidentally posted this in wrong thread but gently caress it here it is here as well.

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good zippered hoodie? I have an enclothe one that I love the design for but it's getting ragged and their new designs I'm not a huge fan of. Figured I'd ask here if any fashion minded people would have advice

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

I accidentally posted this in wrong thread but gently caress it here it is here as well.

I hear American Giant has some really good hoodies. Although they’re pretty heavy.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'll take a look though I'll admit to wanting to find something with a design on it

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

American Giant is excellent and my favorite. Their Classic standard weight is pretty heavy but they also make a Lightweight and a Summer weight. All of their stuff is pretty expensive though.

I have a couple hoodies with graphics that I got from threadless.com years ago that I’m still wearing and like; I can’t vouch for if their current stuff is the same quality but if you catch them running a sale you could give them a shot.

E: threadless doing a 50% off sale right now, it’s serendipity

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ZeusCannon posted:

I'll take a look though I'll admit to wanting to find something with a design on it

My favorite hoodie is the Patagonia polycycle hoody. It's a little expensive and not incredibly warm, but I love the way it feels and the cut. Patagonia's websitr has semi-annual sales that typically cut the price >50%, if you can wait.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
American Giant makes nice hoodies, but both of my last two have had the ends of the sleeves shred and separate, an issue I've not had with any other brand. They also happily sent me a brand-new one for free last time I asked whether I could have them fix mine, so.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've gotten some pretty solid and cheap zip up hoodies from Uniqlo. Watch for sales

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nur_Neerg posted:

American Giant makes nice hoodies, but both of my last two have had the ends of the sleeves shred and separate, an issue I've not had with any other brand. They also happily sent me a brand-new one for free last time I asked whether I could have them fix mine, so.

I've had the sleeves fray and separate as well but as I am in Canada I didn't bother with the return as I got a good 5 years out of them.

They also have nice sweatpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

Do children’s building blocks (wooden shapes, suitable for an infant, not Lego) with tight tolerances exist?

I’ve got a set from ikea, and while they’re fine everything has different sizes and not cut entirely square. making anything taller than a few blocks wonky.

It’s a bit more money than sense, but it’d be nice to have something accurate to build some cool towers for my kid to knock down.

I also recommend these: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1002949/melissa-doug-deluxe-jumbo-cardboard-blocks.jsp?skuid=92504469

They're cardboard (much larger than what you're asking for). My daughter loved creating structures and then running into them to knock them down.