Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Not wanting to have kids is fine. But being confronted with the desperation of an elderly relative and young child who has no one else to turn to and not having your sense of empathy override your idealized plan for how your life was going to go is absolutely self-centered. The poster can ditch that situation, but for her boyfriend to do so is a moral failing barely more excusable than ducking out on your own child because it's not what you had planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Not wanting to have kids is fine. But being confronted with the desperation of an elderly relative and young child who has no one else to turn to and not having your sense of empathy override your idealized plan for how your life was going to go is absolutely self-centered. The poster can ditch that situation, but for her boyfriend to do so is a moral failing barely more excusable than ducking out on your own child because it's not what you had planned.

he posts, fatly, onto the internet

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Moon Atari posted:

No you are extremely wrong actually because adoption for a couple who WANTS her is guaranteed at that age. It's a tragedy that people think like you do, when third party adoption is such a beautiful solution. You just bummed me out, thanks.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

Ah, the "anyone who doesn't want kids is a loving monster" tack.

If you don't want kids don't engage in co-parenting with an elderly person

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Taima posted:

when third party adoption is such a beautiful solution.

lol what world do you live in

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

CheesyDog posted:

Polyamorous Married Couple Looking to get Divorced
u/Throw_Away31815
This woman is dying to let everybody know that she's a persecuted poly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

Is there any other kind?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

big trivia FAIL posted:

lol what world do you live in

i'm not going to argue with you about the merits of adoption because I've seen firsthand how beautiful the joining of a needy child, and a family who wants them, can be an incredible blessing.

Good luck with your ignorant worldview about adoption! Adoption is extremely expensive and extremely stressful. But again, I'm not here to explain to ignorants about how the world works.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Leon Einstein posted:

Please pay attention to me. I am poly! I am interesting!

The last thing they want is normalization. That would leave their only talking point dead: “Yeah, we have all been spitroasted by our boyfriends while our husband was in the other room crying because he still had not found a woman looking for a guy in an open marriage. Boring!”

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Taima posted:

But again, I'm not here to explain to ignorants about how the world works.

Good, then maybe stop trying.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Slim pickings tonight

My (27M) best friend (27M) retracted my plus one to his wedding after he heard who I was bringing.

quote:

u/ThrowawayGroomsman18
The groom and I have been best friends since we were kids and I'm in his wedding party (his brother is the best man). I was in a serious relationship when I was asked to be in the wedding party and it was assumed I'd be bringing her as my date to the wedding. We've since broken up and I've been seeing someone else, but it's too early to call it "serious." When I mentioned that I would be bringing this new girl to the wedding (which is in a few weeks), the groom asked if we were "serious" and when I said we hadn't been dating that long yet, he said I wouldn't be allowed to bring her unless it was a serious thing. Keep in mind, he has never met her before, so it isn't an issue of character.

This is pretty upsetting to me, so I'm wondering if I'm wrong to be extremely insulted by this. I could maybe understand if they were running out of space or something, but if I had told him we were in a serious relationship, it would have been fine. I haven't been to a ton of weddings, so maybe this is common? I've never heard of it happening, myself.

tl;dr - My best friend (the groom) took back my plus one after he found out that it wasn't a serious relationship.

You’re in the wedding party, so possibly some reward is merited, but numbers are always tight and you can’t have everyone you want as is, so someone bringing some random flavour of the month? Nah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Milotic posted:

Slim pickings tonight

My (27M) best friend (27M) retracted my plus one to his wedding after he heard who I was bringing.

You’re in the wedding party, so possibly some reward is merited, but numbers are always tight and you can’t have everyone you want as is, so someone bringing some random flavour of the month? Nah.

I let one of my groomsmen bring a girl I hadn't met yet, but only because he told me he was pretty serious about her (and they're still dating so he was telling the truth). For literally every other person at the wedding the rule was "SOs only allowed if we are also friends with them, or if you're cohabitating". It's a good rule and OP should stop whining.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh wow, your parents are trash:

Parents (50s M/F) want me (24M) to sue my old High School

quote:

u/PrizeNeighborhood0
Throwaway for obvious reasons. I randomly just got a call from my parents that they've been talking to an attorney and want me to sue my former school district. They've been inspired by recent cases with the Catholic Church, Larry Nasar, MeToo, ect.

Limited Backstory: I was part of a club/team during High School that was very close knit. I spent one class period there throughout all 4 years and everyday after school. There wasn't appropriate boundaries between adults and students. I had a flirtatious relationship with one of the teachers that involved groping and sexual talk from freshmen-senior year. Right when I graduated we had sex. I also had way too close of a relationship with another teacher in the same department, it was 100% non-sexual but we hung out way too much and she didn't report my self harm injuries (cry for help). I spent a couple nights in a mental health facility, got prescribed medication, and saw a therapist. My parents paid out of pocket for all of that.

When I was 17/18 I was having a really hard time with my family. They blame it all on this program and these teachers but I also think my parents are deflecting because they definitely made the situation worse. Right when I was leaving HS there were criminal sexual charges brought against the man I had sex with and he was found guilty.

Present situation: After all that ugliness, things have been great! I'm happy and healthy in a new city and my relationship with my parents is great. TBH I don't think about all that stuff often. I just got the call and am still shocked. It was nearly 8 years ago, I have peace of mind already but would I be foolish to not pursue this? The lawyer thinks the school would settle fast (they've faced a lot of bad PR this year) and I would be compensated around 100 K. I hate to say it but my Mom is definitely money obsessed and that may blur her intentions.

I really don't know what the right thing to do here is. I do believe the school is at fault, all of this (and plenty of stories from other students) was happening in plain light. But I don't feel that I need a lawsuit for my own healing, I already feel great and at peace with my past. But that amount of money would change my life.

TLDR: I was a victim of sexual grooming and other shady stuff in HS. After 6 years, they are urging me to sue the school for money.

quote:

He is no longer in jail. The suit would be against the school for negligence, I don't believe he would be involved.

I think my parents haven't been able to let this go themselves. I think it's less about a pay day for them personally and more about me 'punishing' my old school. It hurts me to say this, but I think deep down they know I was so vulnerable and desperate for adult friendship because they didn't accept when I came out as gay and this would relieve their guilt.

quote:

Yes, she called me today and said they already contacted a lawyer. Def made me uncomfortable because they went through their version of events and the lawyer got all the relevant papers from the trial 6 years ago. She said the lawyer would take 30% of the settlement. I hope they are not paying out of pocket for the consult. She called me to see if I was willing to talk to the lawyer and I said I do want to talk to him.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Milotic posted:

Slim pickings tonight

nah, if the wedding is not small and intimate and you've got an actual wedding party they should all get a plus one

rescinding the plus one after you've extended the offer is super-crass, and the groomsman is right to be offended- whether or not it's a "serious" relationship at the moment, it's real enough that he wanted to bring her to a wedding and expected she'd accept, so there's no real reason for the groom to take an action that might drive a wedge/not further a relationship that could become serious

(this is under normal circumstances with reasonable people, obviously if, say, the groomsman has a history of quick flings with unstable alcoholics the groom is far more justified in the exclusion)

e: obviously it's ultimately the bride and groom's wedding and they can do what they want, but I always viewed a wedding as ideally being more about throwing a good party for friends and family to mark a life-transition, and when planning I wanted everyone I invited to be comfortable bringing their romantic partners/feeling included - if you were invited at all you had the option to RVSP with a +1

but I also have a massive extended family and I actually like/trust pretty much all of them (even the crazy ones aren't going to gently caress up a wedding), so I can see how others would have a different view

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 29, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Milotic posted:

Not content with depriving their daughter of her childhood, they move on to deprive other children of their education.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Milotic posted:

If only there were some way the school and the parents could both get screwed

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lift those loving 3 pound weights like your life depends on them grandma, because it does. I'm gonna turn you from a wrinkled, diabetic Butterball turkey into Jack LaLanne.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LGD posted:

nah, if the wedding is not small and intimate and you've got an actual wedding party they should all get a plus one

rescinding the plus one after you've extended the offer is super-crass, and the groomsman is right to be offended- whether or not it's a "serious" relationship at the moment, it's real enough that he wanted to bring her to a wedding and expected she'd accept, so there's no real reason for the groom to take an action that might drive a wedge/not further a relationship that could become serious

(this is under normal circumstances with reasonable people, obviously if, say, the groomsman has a history of quick flings with unstable alcoholics the groom is far more justified in the exclusion)

No way. Regardless of size. It’s the Bride and Groom’s day. They might not want some random there, that not only do they have to pay for, but also takes away a space from someone else who is on the border that they did want. Guest lists are a giant pain in the rear end at the best of times, you don’t need people taking it up you’ve never met and even the guest says isn’t serious. Also they might have a criteria of serious partners only, and if you revisit it for one, you need to revisit it for others, and it kicks off a whole thing. The plus one was clearly intended for his former partner. I had a biggish wedding (for a white British person) and I am on the Groom’s side.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

phasmid posted:

Not content with depriving their daughter of her childhood, they move on to deprive other children of their education.

Son :eng101:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bored posted:

Who the gently caress drinks alcohol on ecstasy?

literally everyone lol. There's no particular danger there as they affect your bodily processes in opposite ways

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Molly is MDMA. Well known to make straight guys all start sucking each others' dicks.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious but that can totally happen especially when someone fucks up the dosage. This one time I supplied the molly to a bunch of friends of mine, I told them clearly how much to take but two of them didn't listen. One of the guys got kicked out of the bar (well really I removed him from the bar because he was about to get arrested) and on the way home he couldn't stop feeling up my chest and stomach. He was so hosed up he could barely talk or walk and he clearly wanted to gently caress me. That night he pissed on my friend's laptop and made out w/ heavy petting with the other guy that took too much molly. Neither one are gay which is a fact I know for sure

Smirking_Serpent posted:

23m with 22f, wife went psycho tonight.

We've been together for 3 years married for one

Tonight my wife acted like a crazy person. It started when my phone buzzed with a text (from a male friend) she started demanding out of no where to see my phone. I don't have anything to hide , but, I didn't understand why she was so insistent.

She got more and more agitated as I tried to ask what was going on. She threw a glass at the wall. To get her to calm down I gave her my phone, saying I wasn't hiding anything, see for yourself? I didn't know what else to do. She was scaring me I just wanted her to stop yelling.

She interrogated me about EVERY woman on my contacts. These included my sister who she's met plenty of times.

When I said wtf that's my sister, she said I was lying. She accused me of arranging for another woman to pose as a sister so that I could hide my cheating in plain sight! WTF

I didn't know what to do. I calmly tried to reason with her. I asked What would I gain from doing that. Then, she said if it really is my sister (IT IS!) then I'm will be constantly "tempted" to cheat with her because the kid would be immortal???

I am "driven to preserve my genes" my wife said. She accused me of loving incest.

A half hour later I learned she thinks babies don't exist. People are born as small children and women actually give birth to an insectoid species who camoflauges itself to look like people.Then is swapped out with human children once they no longer need womens milk and that's why no one remembers being a baby????

She thinks I'm one of the "insects" trying to get her pregnant with an alien. And cheating on her with a bunch of other women including my own sister to do the same thing!

I've never been so scared in my life I didn't recognize my wife at all in this hysterical version of herself, sje was hitting the wall over and over again making her hand bloody. I couldn't stop her.

I had to leave the house because she tried to attack me.

I didn't have my phone and I wrnt to a friends house. He's letting me stay for now. I know I shouldn't be scared of my own wife but you couldn't pay me to go back there.

What do you do if someone you love has went completely insane? Where did this come from? What do I do now

tl;dr- My wife went nuts tonight included accusing me of cheating, incest with my sister, and believes in aliens. She came at me with a rolling pin. I'm staying with a friend tonight and need help facing her now.

This reminds me very much of a mental breakdown I experienced with a girlfriend of mine during college. It was one of the more strange, disturbing and disappointing things I've experienced because she was a gorgeous east african lady in med school and I was insanely into her but I could never look at her the same way again after the temporarily lost her mind

Play fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 29, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ah, right. I missed the part where he said he was with a guy.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Didn't Dan Savage have a guy on who had a fetish for hiding on bike trails and pissing into bike riders water bottles when they'd stop to piss or whatever and his reaction was just, "well be careful not getting caught," or something equally disturbing?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

dick wizard posted:

Didn't Dan Savage have a guy on who had a fetish for hiding on bike trails and pissing into bike riders water bottles when they'd stop to piss or whatever and his reaction was just, "well be careful not getting caught," or something equally disturbing?

I mean... technically that's still advice

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JaneError posted:

Photographer not posting a single one if our photos on social media.

These people need to realise that for them their wedding day was the most important day of their lives, but for him it was Tuesday.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

dick wizard posted:

This is crazy and bad if true, but I've been reading Savage Love for a little while now and don't get all the goon hate. Like recently there was a man saying how into his girlfriend's teenage niece he was and basically looking for an all clear, but Dan shut that poo poo right down.

Did he used to be a lot weirder, or something? Yeah he's cool with odd poly relationships and strange fetishes, but only if everyone involved is on board.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've never heard about the bike piss thing, but he's said various gross poo poo about bi people and about vaginas. There's also a lot of pressure to be GGG, past what some people would consider reasonable, that ends up with people being pressured to do things they don't like and/or greenlights the fetishist's cheating.

Being against ~ephebophilia~ is uhh good, definitely good, but maybe not the highest bar to clear

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (33F) needs to tell my (38F) ex-bestie that I can no longer attend her birthday celebration but I’m scared of her.

I’ve been friends with this woman since April and she recently “broke it off” with me because I’m “selfish” and “boy crazy”. I’ve noticed a pattern of abuse from her so I was relieved to finally be cut loose.

It’s been about three weeks since the “break up” and she recently reached out to tell me she still considers me a friend and wanted me to attend her birthday celebration in another city for a weekend. She mentioned before that she did not want couples attending for God knows why. Anyway, I recently started seeing this guy and it’s going well. She told me I could bring anyone that I wanted so naturally, I said the guy I was dating. She said okay.

At 3am the next morning, I get a wall of text that basically says she was cool with him going but she’s not anymore. She says it’s her birthday and that it’s not a “romantic getaway” for me and the guy I’m seeing.

The funny thing is, she told me earlier that night that she invited another couple to go. I didn’t know what to say except he was excited to go so it’s disappointing but it’s her day and she can do what she wants.

Clearly, I don’t want to go at all. She bullies me and continuously puts me down for being “selfish” when in actuality I have an anxiety disorder so I tend to worry a lot about my behavior. She also says I’m “boy crazy” because I like to have male attention. That part might be true but I don’t see how my dating life effected the friendship.

I’m nervous because she’s very vindictive and I’m worried she’ll retaliate somehow. Either by not giving me the money is has borrowed or by ruining my reputation somehow.

Anyway, my question is, how do I tell her I’m no longer going? And when? The event isn’t until the first week of October.

TL;DR How do I tell ex-bestie I’m not going to her birthday event? I’m worried she’ll get mad when I tell her and retaliate.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [24f] best friend [25f] got incredibly drunk at my coworker's wedding and blamed it on me.

Back in May, I went to a coworker's wedding, and as it was the same day as my college graduation, I asked my best friend (who would already be visiting) to go with me. I made it clear when I asked her that it was a coworker's wedding, with lots of other coworkers invited, and that we should keep drinking to a minimum. I believe I specified "one or two drinks". We both work in high schools, so I was fairly confident my best friend would understand and behave appropriately.

The story actually starts earlier in the day, when we were driving home after my graduation. I was driving, with my older brother in the passenger seat and my best friend and her boyfriend in the back. My best friend was apparently bothered by the open window, but rather than rolling it up she took off her seatbelt to slide into the middle seat, and didn't put her seatbelt back on. I happened to glance into the rearview mirror and saw her in the middle back seat without a seatbelt on, and had a panic response. (Some background: around 4 1/2 years ago, I was in an extremely traumatic rollover car accident during which my spine and both my hands were broken and significant damage was done to my face and head from the windshield glass. I was in the middle back seat of the car when the accident happened. My best friend knows about all this; she visited me in the hospital during the accident). I told her to "put her loving seatbelt on" with what I hoped was a joking tone. She did not take it that way. The car ride was spent in silence until we got to our destination, and I immediately apologized once we were alone. She forgave me eventually, but it took some groveling on my part and a lecture from her about respect.

Later that night was the wedding. It was in a tent outdoors in the pouring rain, and unfortunately was pretty cold. The bride was about an hour late (understandably), and my friend used this as an excuse to have three drinks on an empty stomach in the span of that hour. (I don't know how many drinks she had after that). I should mention that we were sitting at a table with one of my students and her mother, and that my friend knew this. She spilled 2 different drinks, one on me and one on another person. She could barely stand up at points in the night. She was dancing and talking inappropriately in front of my student. I didn't say anything during the wedding because I didn't want to cause a scene at my coworker's wedding. I got her out of the wedding as quickly as possible, which was difficult since we had been shuttled to the location.

The next day was my graduation party, so I didn't say anything to her at all about it, but after she left I texted her saying "we need to talk about what happened at the wedding." Nothing else. She texted back after leaving me on read for a full week with a paragraphs-long diatribe that simultaneously excused her behavior and pinned it on me for "not telling her not to drink", as well as pinning it on the bride for being late to her own wedding. I attempted to be calm and factual, but she began to fling really hurtful statements about my personality. I ended the conversation by saying we shouldn't talk for a while.

It took 2 weeks for her to text me again, and because of that I had a lot of time to think about our relationship over the past 7 years. I started to realize how miserable I've been for the past 3 of them. She was incredibly supportive after my car accident, during my rehabilitation, and during the year or so afterward that I struggled with depression and had to leave college. Once I started to piece my life back together, however, things have changed. Over the past 2 or 3 years, every time I've visited her, we've ended up fighting. I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells, watching what I say around her, afraid I'm going to make her angry. No matter how careful I am, I make her angry anyway. I refuse to be a passenger in a car with her anymore because of how dangerously she drives, even though she knows about my history. One time she pulled out her phone and started texting while driving, and when I told her I could take care of that for her, she yelled at me. When she calls me on the phone, she gives me perhaps five or ten minutes to talk about what's going on in my life, and then the rest of the one to two hour conversation is about her. Even when I am talking, she constantly interrupts me with her own anecdotes. This is also not the only time she has become inebriated to the point of sloppiness at "my" events. On my 21st birthday, she got so stoned that I had to spend the whole night taking care of her, and then said it was my fault since I gave her the brownie, although others also had the same batch and they all were able to function.

She's only ever known abusive relationships with people, which is why I think I've excused a lot of those things. She's NC with her emotionally abusive family, and has during our friendship had 2 extremely lovely boyfriends. Her current boyfriend is absolutely wonderful - I adore him - and she talks a lot about "unlearning abusive behaviors". She's in therapy. I think she doesn't realize that abusive behaviors don't just affect romantic and familial relationships. She has lost quite a few friendships in the past few years, but it is always the other person's fault, and I believed her about that. She has made it clear to me several times that other than her boyfriend, I am the only person she has.

TLDR: My best friend got very drunk at the wedding of one of my coworkers, behaved inappropriately in front of a student of mine who was there, and blamed it on me. In the weeks of radio silence I've realized she has been treating me poorly for years.

My question is: can these behaviors be addressed? Can she change? She was once a really excellent friend to me, and I'm not quite sure what happened. I hate to throw away a 7-year friendship over her getting sloppy at a wedding. I'm still angry, don't get me wrong, I just want to know: is this person actually toxic/abusive, or is she just totally un-selfaware?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anne Whateley posted:

I've never heard about the bike piss thing, but he's said various gross poo poo about bi people and about vaginas.

That's disappointing. I guess I just liked him better when he was telling off republicans. Now that his bread and butter seems to be his advice column, well.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moon Atari posted:

wait for the kid to enter the system, take them in as a foster kid, profit?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

phasmid posted:

That's disappointing. I guess I just liked him better when he was telling off republicans. Now that his bread and butter seems to be his advice column, well.
Afaik his advice column has literally always been his bread and butter? It was a thing since before the internet was even a thing, I started reading it in like middle school.

e: the "santorum" thing that grew out of his column was in 2003, holy poo poo I'm old

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anne Whateley posted:

Afaik his advice column has literally always been his bread and butter? It was a thing since before the internet was even a thing, I started reading it in like middle school.

e: the "santorum" thing that grew out of his column was in 2003, holy poo poo I'm old

My first exposure to him was in the mid-aughts, watching him weigh in on panel shows and the like. He grew up in the evangelical right and had a lot of keen observations. I only became familiar with his column much later and I'm afraid I'm unacquainted with the "Santorum thing". Although knowing Santorum, it's most likely as embarrassing as it is vile.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (33F) needs to tell my (38F) ex-bestie that I can no longer attend her birthday celebration but I’m scared of her.

I’ve been friends with this woman since April and she recently “broke it off” with me because I’m “selfish” and “boy crazy”. I’ve noticed a pattern of abuse from her so I was relieved to finally be cut loose.

It’s been about three weeks since the “break up” and she recently reached out to tell me she still considers me a friend and wanted me to attend her birthday celebration in another city for a weekend. She mentioned before that she did not want couples attending for God knows why. Anyway, I recently started seeing this guy and it’s going well. She told me I could bring anyone that I wanted so naturally, I said the guy I was dating. She said okay.

At 3am the next morning, I get a wall of text that basically says she was cool with him going but she’s not anymore. She says it’s her birthday and that it’s not a “romantic getaway” for me and the guy I’m seeing.

The funny thing is, she told me earlier that night that she invited another couple to go. I didn’t know what to say except he was excited to go so it’s disappointing but it’s her day and she can do what she wants.

Clearly, I don’t want to go at all. She bullies me and continuously puts me down for being “selfish” when in actuality I have an anxiety disorder so I tend to worry a lot about my behavior. She also says I’m “boy crazy” because I like to have male attention. That part might be true but I don’t see how my dating life effected the friendship.

I’m nervous because she’s very vindictive and I’m worried she’ll retaliate somehow. Either by not giving me the money is has borrowed or by ruining my reputation somehow.

Anyway, my question is, how do I tell her I’m no longer going? And when? The event isn’t until the first week of October.

TL;DR How do I tell ex-bestie I’m not going to her birthday event? I’m worried she’ll get mad when I tell her and retaliate.

This was the perfect time to spoiler tag out the ages, cause holy poo poo, this lady is mentally at the age of 14. Why is it so hard for people to just not be friends with assholes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Why is it so hard for people to just not be friends with assholes?

Who would be left?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

My Imaginary GF posted:

wait for the kid to enter the system, take them in as a foster kid, profit?

What is wrong with you

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

This was the perfect time to spoiler tag out the ages, cause holy poo poo, this lady is mentally at the age of 14. Why is it so hard for people to just not be friends with assholes?

Considering a woman she’s know for five months is considered her ‘ex-bestie’ I’m assuming she is desperate for any kind of ‘friend’.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

andrew smash posted:

What is wrong with you

MIGF has always been awful.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

What is wrong with you

This was a pretty good joke, imo

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

phasmid posted:

My first exposure to him was in the mid-aughts, watching him weigh in on panel shows and the like. He grew up in the evangelical right and had a lot of keen observations. I only became familiar with his column much later and I'm afraid I'm unacquainted with the "Santorum thing". Although knowing Santorum, it's most likely as embarrassing as it is vile.

Wikipedia has a write-up of the Santorum thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Milotic posted:

No way. Regardless of size. It’s the Bride and Groom’s day. They might not want some random there, that not only do they have to pay for, but also takes away a space from someone else who is on the border that they did want. Guest lists are a giant pain in the rear end at the best of times, you don’t need people taking it up you’ve never met and even the guest says isn’t serious. Also they might have a criteria of serious partners only, and if you revisit it for one, you need to revisit it for others, and it kicks off a whole thing. The plus one was clearly intended for his former partner. I had a biggish wedding (for a white British person) and I am on the Groom’s side.

Nah fuckem they could easily have not made the offer plus-one if they had not in fact budgeted for plus ones instead of playing stupid games, and given they were clearly open to inviting this person they didn't actually know making the invitation conditional on some probationary period or some poo poo other than the OP wanting them there and them wanting the OP to have a good time is petty and lovely as hell. Like, what, you're inviting this dude to be your groomsman but you can't trust him to independently vet that his lay of the week won't gently caress a horse on your reception table

artsy fartsy posted:

This is crazy and bad if true, but I've been reading Savage Love for a little while now and don't get all the goon hate. Like recently there was a man saying how into his girlfriend's teenage niece he was and basically looking for an all clear, but Dan shut that poo poo right down.

Did he used to be a lot weirder, or something? Yeah he's cool with odd poly relationships and strange fetishes, but only if everyone involved is on board.

He writes a sex column, which is an open invitation to every extremely online person to get absolutely splenetic at you for being one percent too for/against their obscure personal hangup. I'm not a huge fan of his writing but every time someone starts making some vague innuendo about him being a pervo or a Klansman or something it winds up being them coyly referencing some poo poo even Your Fave Is Problematic would be embarrassed to get too het up about

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2018