Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hommando posted:

Just spent an hour in an O1S farm party that couldn't clear a single time, joined a clear party and one shot it.

:shrug:

That doesn't seem uncommon. A lot of farm parties have people who are basically half-assing it because they expect others to pick up slack while clear parties are folks who are genuinely trying their best to clear and at bare minimum attempt to do mechanics instead of getting lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

brainwrinkle posted:

Going from a max height Roe lady to an Au Ra is a bit disorienting. I’ll probably go back to Roe eventually.

My main is a near-max height Duskwight and my alt is a near-minimum height Keeper Miqo'te.

The two foot height difference is disorienting, or at least that's my excuse for standing in the bad sometimes.

Hommando posted:

Just spent an hour in an O1S farm party that couldn't clear a single time, joined a clear party and one shot it.

O1S as in Alte Roite? I'm surprised groups could fail that in current gear, it's probably the easiest Savage fight in the game even going back through Coils and Alexander. If you're talking about Phantom Train, that sounds like The Phantom Train Experience.

That said, I've found that clear parties are about as likely to clear as farm parties are, and usually a lot less salty. Between trap parties, people taking a clear for granted and playing sloppy as a result, and the ever-wonderful people who will ragequit after one wipe, I'm surprised that anything gets done in Party Finder sometimes. Statics looking for a sub or two are more consistent sometimes, but crappy static leaders will always, always, always blame the pubbie if things go wrong, and even good statics will usually have one or two odd ways of dealing with mechanics that they don't always explain to fill-ins.

The solution, of course, is to make your own static. :toot:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i am the best at this video game :frogc00l:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

O5S as in Alte Roite? I

I'm bad, I meant O5S.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I officially did my 100th Ridorana run tonight and have still never rolled above 50 on the stupid minion.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

Hello I have Fantasia’d into a Xaela because the Azim Steppe content was fun as hell

Going from a max height Roe lady to an Au Ra is a bit disorienting. I’ll probably go back to Roe eventually.

Heh, you basically did the opposite of me. I even used the same horns and hairstyle (on a Raen):

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the Bad Healer problem is that the kind of healer who refuses to touch stone iv is also the kind of healer that isn't very good at healing even if they devote 100% of their being to making bars go up

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's also part of the goad paradox where the times you need more tp is when party dps is poo poo and people aren't pressing their aoe buttons, but those same players are the ones who are never going to goad you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm at that neat point in Heavensward where I just get to tick off the hard and extreme versions of dungeons. No one seems to queue for the HW raids and the party finder is all Bahamut, all the time. Am I missing something?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Weird scheduling? Alexander and the Sky Pirates are both in the roulettes, at least.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_4/

4.4. site is starting to fill, looks like the next dungeon gear is a Filibuster set recolor.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not a fan of dungeon set recolors, but the filibuster stuff was great. On the other hand I hope it's dyeable this time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My original thing wasn't so much amazement that Honest Healers exist, but that there's people who are so poo poo at honest healing they only use Medica. Like, c'mon son, you've got like six or seven different heals you can use more efficiently if you're honest healing.

But then if they used their heals efficiently they would have so much downtime of just sitting there doing nothing they'd get bored, so they spam medica to feel like they're doing something.

I don't mind honest healers in 8 man content because it means I can spent less than a quarter of my time worrying about heals for the most part and just nuking things, which is okay. But then, half the time, this ends poorly because HH don't heal good at all and I gotta then compensate for their poo poo heals and their no DPS and just gently caress off and play a goddamn dragoon if you wanna be useless scrub.

ugh.

As for comms: I find people incredibly picky for comms, but being someone who talks a bit in chat, makes a joke (even if terrible), and doesn't get salty openly gives me an average of one per dungeon. Sometimes I get none because people just don't comm (or I mess up the dance on a boss and die leading to a wipe and everyone gets frothy and goes "WHY YOU DIE loving MORON" and I just /shrug and do it again), sometimes three because I rock. I also usually give out a comm, because I'm nice. Split 50/50 between the tank as long as they do a good job, or one of the DPS that doesn't act like a moron. Or whoever bantered with me in chat because then they are a Person and not a faceless robot there to soak up XP during fights.

I like the comm system. I got a baby chocobo with a pope hat, and my own pope hat, from it, so it's the best.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Asimo posted:

I'm not a fan of dungeon set recolors, but the filibuster stuff was great. On the other hand I hope it's dyeable this time.

Same, it's a great set and needs to be dyeable.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So, I've taken to the caster classes a bit quicker than I thought - do healers have the usual MMO issue of being really, really slow when questing? Or isn't that really an issue here?

I'm still wrapping my head around the game expecting me to contribute damage in between heals, but that's more down to a slightly clumsy controller than being against the idea.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Safeword posted:

So, I've taken to the caster classes a bit quicker than I thought - do healers have the usual MMO issue of being really, really slow when questing? Or isn't that really an issue here?

I'm still wrapping my head around the game expecting me to contribute damage in between heals, but that's more down to a slightly clumsy controller than being against the idea.

Not as slow as in some other games, but noticeably slower than DPS and tanks. You're also nigh unkillable though, if that's any consolation.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Fair do, just making sure. Looks like I'll focus on Arcanist over conjurer for a while then. I understand the former has a healing, and DPS crystal to switch between.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Safeword posted:

Fair do, just making sure. Looks like I'll focus on Arcanist over conjurer for a while then. I understand the former has a healing, and DPS crystal to switch between.

Yeah, leveling up arcanist gets you both scholar and summoner. Its really nice because it means you can get healer queues while leveling up a dps class.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hogama posted:

Weird scheduling? Alexander and the Sky Pirates are both in the roulettes, at least.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_4/

4.4. site is starting to fill, looks like the next dungeon gear is a Filibuster set recolor.

I am very down for a dyeable Filibuster set. And it looks like Alphy got himself a new family. :stare:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Chakan posted:

As an aside: how do non-healers do hard pve stuff, like for quests? There's a few fights in Stormblood that were miserable slogs because it was a boss with 750k hp and each stone iv dealt 5k so I was just applying dots & stoning till I felt the need to heal back up, but most dps classes have only 1-2 heals.
There's always an npc there to heal if you're going to need it. I did most of Stormblood as machinist with no healing, and Alphinaud or whoever was always plenty.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
And they changed it so now you always have Brilliance or whatever the buff is called so you basically can't die short of like, Those Chocobos.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Thundarr posted:

I am very down for a dyeable Filibuster set. And it looks like Alphy got himself a new family. :stare:

he has a daddy now

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

And they changed it so now you always have Brilliance or whatever the buff is called so you basically can't die short of like, Those Chocobos.

It's possible to die in some fights, but those are specifically fights where the goal isn't to murder the enemy but to dodge poo poo.

Most of the failed solo instances I've had was from NPCs dying because I didn't grok the order I was supposed to kill the trash in properly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Those sets look like a parody of Cable from X-Men. My kingdom for an armor set in this expansion to wow me. Except the AF3s that were good I suppose.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I spent an absurd amount of time running Sohm Al Hard and Baelsars' trying to complete the tank Filibuster set and never got the chest piece to drop. Glad to get another opportunity for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hommando posted:

Just spent an hour in an O5S farm party that couldn't clear a single time, joined a clear party and one shot it.

This is why pugging Savage is the worst!

Sion posted:

I'm at that neat point in Heavensward where I just get to tick off the hard and extreme versions of dungeons. No one seems to queue for the HW raids and the party finder is all Bahamut, all the time. Am I missing something?

Alexander should be able to be queued for, unless you're trying for Savage. Heavensward EX Primals still pop up semi-regularly in Party Finder.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This game just forgot literally all of my settings, I even had to recalibrate my controller and re-select my world. Luckily my character seems to still exist. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Somehow it remembered my keybinds, so that's good.

I'm betting the game just updated and asked for admin privileges right? Sometimes this results in the game using the admin accounts settings instead of the account you normally play with. Just restart the client and it'll swap back.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

pupuru posted:

he has a daddy now
Pretty sure this new guy who's totally not Gaius in a without his mask has a good track record of raising adoptive childen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I should probably actually do Alexander someday

e: oh wait poo poo encyclopedia eorzea 2 is happening? Is this one actually going to have more than fifty copies ready to go at launch?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 30, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Samurai is finally getting close to 60, at which point I will resume the MSQ stuff, since I wanted to use Samurai through Stormblood later. I've also been leveling Summoner/Scholar on the side (just using the daily Leveling Duty Finder thing for it).

I'm quickly running out of buttons for Samurai. Is Third Eye and its accompanying Cure skill mostly optional/unnecessary in dungeon content? That would clear up a few slots. Currently all my reachable number keys are taken up with the main combos, ctrl-number keys taken up with the AoE skills + a couple cooldowns and shift-number taken up with the weapon skill and kenki moves. I'm just barely fitting everything after putting Third Eye and the cure thing on ctrl-Q and ctrl-E, and I guess I could maybe reserve shift-Q/shift-E for something as well.

Speaking of Summoner, is Tri-bind only really useful for AoE situations with 4 or more mobs?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I totally dropped Third Eye and its skills but I'm not really what you would call a "top tier" player so I don't know if that's a big sub-optimal move or not

I've managed to fit all the main class abilities on my first crossbar and put the cross-class actions and AoE stuff on my second bar

Tri-Bind is for AoE spam when you're in Dreadwyrm basically. It's pretty useless outside of that specific situation.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you are doing top tier DPS, even with Diversion on cooldown you will slowly creep up on the tank in aggro and the threat drop of Merciful Eyes is very helpful. But if you are just playing casually Third Eye will make no noticeable difference if you use it or not.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Third eye lets you use seigan, which is basically parry counter from metal gear rising and also an efficient kenki spender.

Your duty is to kill hard. The only thing you should trade dps increases away for is hissatsu: seppuku.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
but my button space!!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SettingSun posted:

I spent an absurd amount of time running Sohm Al Hard and Baelsars' trying to complete the tank Filibuster set and never got the chest piece to drop. Glad to get another opportunity for it.

On one hand, yes, but if it's anything like the Farlander set, which was a recolour of the Castrum Abania stuff, the roles will be switched around.

The big poofy tanking coat is probably striking now. I'm going to guess they've flipped the healer and caster sets around (unless casting gets the sick as hell aiming set which would be amazing, but they've probably flipped aiming and scouting for this). The old maiming set is probably fending, which is okay, because I like the helmet, and DRGs probably get the old striking set.

So, L to R, my guess is Striking, Aiming, Healing, Fending, Scouting, Casting, Maiming.

I just want it all to be dyeable. I was so let down, given all of the resistance stuff in SB and the gear practically everyone in Rhalgr's is wearing, that we never got a craftable, dyeable recolour of those sets like we did with some of the other HW dungeon sets.

That having been said, I know your pain on the tank chest. In all my runs of Baelsar's and Sohm Al Hard, I only ever saw it twice, both times as a non-tank when leveling another class in duty roulette. To compare, I saw the dog three times.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 30, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda like that green version of the Sohm Al (Hard) caster gear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

but my button space!!

One day the scales will fall from my eyes and I will realize that I'm actually the only person alive who does not have a third arm growing out of their chest with which to use the 6-0 keys.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

One day the scales will fall from my eyes and I will realize that I'm actually the only person alive who does not have a third arm growing out of their chest with which to use the 6-0 keys.

I play on controller so don't even talk to me about that you live in the loving promised land as far as I'm concerned

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

I click everything except 1-5 on my bars and I do perfectly fine :shrug:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

My Samurai is finally getting close to 60, at which point I will resume the MSQ stuff, since I wanted to use Samurai through Stormblood later. I've also been leveling Summoner/Scholar on the side (just using the daily Leveling Duty Finder thing for it).

I'm quickly running out of buttons for Samurai. Is Third Eye and its accompanying Cure skill mostly optional/unnecessary in dungeon content? That would clear up a few slots. Currently all my reachable number keys are taken up with the main combos, ctrl-number keys taken up with the AoE skills + a couple cooldowns and shift-number taken up with the weapon skill and kenki moves. I'm just barely fitting everything after putting Third Eye and the cure thing on ctrl-Q and ctrl-E, and I guess I could maybe reserve shift-Q/shift-E for something as well.

Speaking of Summoner, is Tri-bind only really useful for AoE situations with 4 or more mobs?

If you got additional buttons on your mouse, use em. Also don't be afraid to replace keybinds you never use.

I'm not quite cap but have gone into HoH so I have my bars all set up and clean, this is what I use:

The bar to the right is a 2x6 hotbar where I only have stuff in the bottom 2x3.

I've been considering moving up Yukikaze to shift-4, but otherwise I'm probably gonna keep using this setting for the foreseeable future.

E: I think I forgot to slot Hagakure, which I'd stick in ctrl-3

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can use a mouse that comes with most computing devices to click keys.