Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh boy are you in for a treat.

Every sitcom star you loved as a kid is a piece of poo poo, especially Tim Allen.

Oh I knew the former, knew Tim Allen was a cokehead, but the whole government bootlicker part is a new one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Geoffrey Owens was in the Cosby Show and he's fondly regarded for his teaching of Shakespeare

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't think anyone is surprised that Tim Allen sucks

Tom Hanks is one of the small handful of celebrities who are good folk though!

GrandpaPants posted:

He was on this small show called Full House, although admittedly it's a stretch to call him a big celebrity. Aladdin also had Gilbert Gottfried, who wasn't Robin Williams big, but was pretty well known.

DJ dated both Aladdin AND Max Goof

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BatB '91 is a film that couldn't be made today, because its good

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Macaluso posted:

I don't think anyone is surprised that Tim Allen sucks

Tom Hanks is one of the small handful of celebrities who are good folk though!

DJ dated both Aladdin AND Max Goof

Scott Weinger is his name

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Batman and Robin would be a live-action example of casting celebrities over the right talent with Schwarzenegger as Fries. The later Batman movies would opt for casting actors who can sustain a movie while not being tabloid-fodder like Bale, Oldman, Ledger, Hardy. We got some good ice puns out of Arnie-Fries but we missed the man who could summon emotion despite his clinical monotone:

"I failed you. I wish there were another way for me to say it. I cannot. I can only beg for your forgiveness, and pray you can hear me somehow, someplace... someplace where a warm hand waits for mine"
I mean I can still kinda see see Schwarzenegger doing a serious Fries. He'd hardly be ideal (like, I can't think of too many Schwarzenegger drama roles honestly; what comes to mind are things like Junior and Jingle All The Way which are hardly flattering examples), but at the same time, most of the hamminess of B&R Mr. Freeze is the god-awful script that the character, no matter the actor, has to work with.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh I knew the former, knew Tim Allen was a cokehead, but the whole government bootlicker part is a new one for me.
I know he's a staunch Republican at any rate, and complained a decent amount about how hard it is to be one in Hollywood these days. I've deliberately not paid attention to his opinion on politics since the election, but given what party controls all three branches of the federal government, he's probably at least content. (And that's about all I want to say about this subject.)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's also how they tried to explain Mr. Fries being Huge McSwole because he's an 'Olympic Gymnast', Schneider, have you ever seen a loving Gymnast in your entire life?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robindaybird posted:

There's also how they tried to explain Mr. Fries being Huge McSwole because he's an 'Olympic Gymnast', Schneider, have you ever seen a loving Gymnast in your entire life?

Dalton and Whittenburg, Olympic Gymnasts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Male gymnasts have huge muscles but they're also all like 5 feet tall

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Barudak posted:

I started the film agreeing with this but everything is so structuraly and thematically hosed in that film down to screwing up the entire premise of the beasts curse that her casting is like, 5th place or lower

I never saw the movie, what's all of that?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Beauty and the Beast '17 has a million things wrong with it, but it's real fault was casting Emma Watson as the lead instead of an unknown actress who could actually sing.

On a sidenote, it's interesting how animated films seem to have moved away from casting voice actors for a specific character and then have a different actor provide that character's singing voice, something which was fairly prevalent in the 90s.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Male gymnasts have huge muscles but they're also all like 5 feet tall

Yeah, the two above are 5'5" and 5'4", respectively.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a sidenote, it's interesting how animated films seem to have moved away from casting voice actors for a specific character and then have a different actor provide that character's singing voice, something which was fairly prevalent in the 90s.

This is a pretty common thing with musicals that goes way back, usually noted for animated films and TV shows but in live action too. Especially for series where the characters don't usually sing. (though also sometimes for ones where they sing every episode)

Steven Universe comes to mind as one where they avoid this at every opportunity, casting trained singers in even minor rules just in case.

On the other hand, Sonic Underground has the main three triplets (including the girl) all voiced by the same guy (Urkel) while their singing voices are three different people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Steven universe is pretty lucky in that many of the people they selected, with a couple notable exceptions and I’m sure somebody will bring up, are famous more in the sense that they are well-established older Broadway singers. That doesn’t mean that they actually make that much money or that theyd be particularly difficult to get a hold of. Not like Dwayne Johnson or whatever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the one time I can think of where they stunt casted SU was Nicki Minaj (which is who I assume you're referring to), who was IMHO a perfect choice for the Amethyst/Garnet fusion. They haven't been able to get her back, but the handful of times that the fusion has happened since the character not being voiced hasn't been an issue.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't get Jeanelle Monae for the Pearl/Garnet fusion but oh well.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like Patti Lupone is a loving phenomenal get for any show with a lot of singing, and she's a powerhouse in her discipline, but the average person would be like "who"

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
A relevant video in regards to the Tim Allen thing:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yb4pnHS97SU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andorra posted:

I never saw the movie, what's all of that?

True love or accepting beast or any of that has no bearing on the curse, only the person who cursed beast can release him from the curse and it is so soley at her discretion so the rose therefore is also a fake timer that means absolutely nothing.

Beast has a magic book that can teleport him and other people with him anywhere in time and space from his castle so he has 0 incentive to actually give a poo poo about being trapped in the castle

There are multiple new songs that only exist to drag down the pacing

Gastons character is a loving mess

Belle gets a bonus tragic backstory that bogs down the film every scene it appears in and has no bearing on the story or narrative and actually makes her father seem like a jerk for no reason

Beast doesnt do anything to earn Belle’s affection; hes just an rear end in a top hat who has valuable trinkets Belle likes and does nothing concilatory towards her until the let her go scene*

*Due to several changes such as Belle knowing that the curse will straight up kill everyone in the castle, her leaving to help her dad this instant when again she again has a magic travel through time and space portal is less noble and more “gently caress all ya’ll”

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember one part in the original Beauty and the Beast that always stayed with me was how, after letting Belle go, the Beast just unleashes this howl of pain and rage and despair. It sent chills down my spine as a kid.

So I was looking forward to that moment in the remake, and we get to that part and the Beast...starts singing?

:sigh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So glad I refused to watch that poo poo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Live action remake suck, make a time machine back to when they painted cels by hand, god drat it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The added scene where the staff of the castle all "die" was messed up, and not in a good way.

Lindsay Ellis has an excellent video on the subject.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The added scene where the staff of the castle all "die" was messed up, and not in a good way.

She doesnt make my favorite point when she talks about editing, which is also a loving mess as she points out, which is that Ewan McGregor had to redub all of his lines which is fine when hes a candlestick CGI monstrosity, but when he becomes human again every single shot where he talks hes either off screen or has his face obscured. Its so bizzare and distracting you notice it immediately and that scene is like a minute and a half long.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I agree with her about 70% of the time on things, which is relatively high for me agreeing with anyone including myself, but there are a couple cases where she nails it and that's one. Yes I watch breakdowns of films I haven't seen, sometimes that's plenty for me.

BatB 91 is like ground zero for people who love loving ~hot takes~ about cartoons but it's one of the best films ever made and I stand by that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Additional hot take ^2: a film doesn't have to perfectly adhere to every currently espoused political or cultural ideology anyway, and in fact, presenting narratives that attempt to do so often falls into the unrelatable morality play trap where you're basically watching alien beings interact in ways unfamiliar to you.

e: E.g. one of the million things that made Coco better than Toy Story 3 is that sometimes people in Coco are unreasonable, unfair, and/or did crappy things and that's what makes them come across as human. I was really surprised they even let the grandmother character throw a shoe.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 3, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

e: E.g. one of the million things that made Coco better than Toy Story 3 is that sometimes people in Coco are unreasonable, unfair, and/or did crappy things and that's what makes them come across as human. I was really surprised they even let the grandmother character throw a shoe.

like Abuelita is very much everyone's high-strung stubborn great aunt who's just following tradition, and Imelda - she just mad, and kind of understandably held a pretty long grudge (try being essentially a single mother in 30s/40s Mexico).

God drat every sing in the movie is amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

like Abuelita is very much everyone's high-strung stubborn great aunt who's just following tradition, and Imelda - she just mad, and kind of understandably held a pretty long grudge (try being essentially a single mother in 30s/40s Mexico).

God drat every sing in the movie is amazing.

No but that's what I mean, they let her be a real person even if that means throwing a shoe and getting mad and going too far wrt: the generations-long music ban.

I'll contrast to my extremely hated Inside Out, where no one in the family does anything interesting or even slightly outside the "safe zone" of TV-family behavior.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Since we're talking about B&TB, my favorite scene in the whole movie is when Belle is taking care of Beast after the wolf attack, and they have their little argument that is right out of an old married couple playbook. It's so good, it's one of the most human parts of the movie for Beast and it shows Belle isn't scared of all the huffing and puffing and roaring Beast does because of his arm stinging

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is mine:

Everything about how this moment is animated is perfect. Look at him even gently push the mirror back towards her. Then he even pulls back a little, then a more submissive posture. Keane did other work that was even more technically impressive in Treasure Planet and etc. but I don't think he ever did movement better than with Beast, although his work on the Fox in the Hound bear and particularly Ratigan gave him a lot of the experience he'd need moving forward.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Phylodox posted:

I remember one part in the original Beauty and the Beast that always stayed with me was how, after letting Belle go, the Beast just unleashes this howl of pain and rage and despair. It sent chills down my spine as a kid.

So I was looking forward to that moment in the remake, and we get to that part and the Beast...starts singing?

:sigh:

It's one of the few good additions imo. I mean, maybe they could have just kept it in the credits but still, of all the stupid music things Menken decided to do this one actually sort of worked.

It, and the wardrobe for Gaston, are the only positive points I have about the movie

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't think the Mulan live action film is a musical, is it?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't think the Mulan live action film is a musical, is it?

Nope. Because China doesn't like musicals and Disney gotta corner that foreign market.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VolticSurge posted:

Nope. Because China doesn't like musicals and Disney gotta corner that foreign market.

I don't know, Coco was the most popular Pixar movie there's ever been in China and it was more or less a musical, wasn't it?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, Coco was the most popular Pixar movie there's ever been in China and it was more or less a musical, wasn't it?

Well, it's more that according to Disney's "market analysts" China doesn't like musicals so they're not currently planning on the remake being a musical.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
someone in a focus group yawned and now there will be 4 scenes in bullet time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing I think Chinese audiences at large definitely, absolutely, empirically dislike is Star Wars. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only thing I think Chinese audiences at large definitely, absolutely, empirically dislike is Star Wars. :v:

I might have to move there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like, Marvel movies? Huge. Star Wars? El zilcho. For the most part, audiences in China are not even overly keen on the original movies either. But I suppose it makes sense, doesn't it? You're trying to sell the authoritarian government that does loads of massive public works projects as the villains? In China? Good luck!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't even dislike the new movies I'm just loving sick of seeing star wars poo poo everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It doesnt help they have no exposure to the previous films and the new ones are extremely dependent on that cultural cache. Before The Last Jedi they went all out in the market and it was obvious they had no idea how to pitch the concept to China at all because they couldnt rely on “its your childhood!”