Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DapperDuck posted:

Maybe it’s the D&D in me speaking, but that is definitely a slashing sword which equates to a STR build as opposed to a piercing sword (like RDM’s Rapier) which would be DEX-based.

A reminder that in DnD literally every weapon is a STR weapon until you spend a feat to make it a dex weapon.

Unless they got rid of that in 4/5.o :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

A reminder that in DnD literally every weapon is a STR weapon until you spend a feat to make it a dex weapon.

They did; some weapons are now “finesse” weapons that can use either the dex or str stat

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't you loving dare badmouth hussars, that outfit is peak final fantasy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every character in 4E has a basic attack that uses either your STR or DEX for the roll. The differences between weapons are generally damage die, special properties (like extra crit damage), and the unique enchantments they can have.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Blue Mage should have a whip and a new design, because it has a new design in every mainline title it's in. People are weirdly married to the FFXI incarnation for this game even though that's not the most famous version! I'd prefer seeing a reinterpretation of the FFV cape and domino mask if we get a repeat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the ffxi version is stylish as hell, and also fits the thavnir aesthetic bits they've teased us with

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Please no more ff11 inspired content. We've already suffered enough with eureka

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
BLU is gonna be based off of Kimahri and one of the new races is going to be Ronso :unsmigghh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Blue Mage should have a whip and a new design, because it has a new design in every mainline title it's in. People are weirdly married to the FFXI incarnation for this game even though that's not the most famous version! I'd prefer seeing a reinterpretation of the FFV cape and domino mask if we get a repeat.

If any class is going to get a whip, it should be Beastmaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of weird to me the wolfmen aren't a beast Tribe and don't seem to be becoming one. I almost wonder if they're going to be one of the two rumored new races (the other obviously is Viera.)

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Thats because the FFXI incarnation hit a home run in lore, aesthetic and (within the confines of the FFXI system) job implementation. There's a reason people fell in love with it and keep bringing it up over the other two FFXI jobs released at the same time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird to me the wolfmen aren't a beast Tribe and don't seem to be becoming one. I almost wonder if they're going to be one of the two rumored new races (the other obviously is Viera.)

They were equally ignored in V and VI, so it's at least consistent!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FFXI was a loving awful poo poo game but its aesthetics were rad and blue mages even radder

also the whole thing about all blue mages being doomed to eventually lose control and become soulflayers

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Alris posted:

Thats because the FFXI incarnation hit a home run in lore, aesthetic and (within the confines of the FFXI system) job implementation. There's a reason people fell in love with it and keep bringing it up over the other two FFXI jobs released at the same time.

I'm pretty sure the 3rd class released at that time was Dancer and it is just as in demand. Nobody cares about puppeteer though.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm pretty sure the 3rd class released at that time was Dancer and it is just as in demand. Nobody cares about puppeteer though.

Wrong! :yarr:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Dang, now I am reminded it's a real shame Machinist ate basically all of corsairs lunch in this game because corsair would have been a lot cooler.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Philonius posted:

My dearest wish is that class restrictions are removed for glamouring, so I can wear the Asuran tank gear on my samurai.

There's so much of the job-specific crafting gear I'd love to glamour onto combat classes.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Dang, now I am reminded it's a real shame Machinist ate basically all of corsairs lunch in this game because corsair would have been a lot cooler.

A straight up gambler class taking bits from XI Corsair and other iterations throughout the FF history (looking at you Setzer) would be baller af and hilariously nightmarish to balance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So there's a new FFXIV theory
Let's just pretend that Blue Mage leak is real.
Alphinaud is in the burn
an area with little to no aether
he may need to start pulling aether from the local wildlife
and learn their abilities
Just as Alisaie became a red mage
Alphinaud becomes a blue mage
4.4 sets up Alphinaud as a blue mage allowing for blue mage release in 4.5/5.0
Also note - from the very beginning Alisaie had a red hair tie and Alphinaud had a blue
:tinfoil:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mordiceius posted:

So there's a new FFXIV theory
Let's just pretend that Blue Mage leak is real.
Alphinaud is in the burn
an area with little to no aether
he may need to start pulling aether from the local wildlife
and learn their abilities
Just as Alisaie became a red mage
Alphinaud becomes a blue mage
4.4 sets up Alphinaud as a blue mage allowing for blue mage release in 4.5/5.0
Also note - from the very beginning Alisaie had a red hair tie and Alphinaud had a blue
:tinfoil:

Damnit now I want this to happen

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
"This is definitely going to impress girls" alphinaud thinks to himself as he gets hit by his 10th Bad Breath of the day in an attempt to master the technique

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...damnit, Alphy.

Fine, it thematically works too well. I will try to not be as disappointed if BLU turns out to be a DPS if this also becomes the case. Still hoping for BLU tank, though.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
In an alternate timeline, this would be the fourth job for arcanist.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

That feels extremely "right", especially since the storyline's been hinting at his skills of observance through his artwork

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

"This is definitely going to impress girls" alphinaud thinks to himself as he gets hit by his 10th Bad Breath of the day in an attempt to master the technique

:discourse:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

FFXI was a loving awful poo poo game but its aesthetics were rad and blue mages even radder

also the whole thing about all blue mages being doomed to eventually lose control and become soulflayers

Most, not all. :argh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think it was only the original blue mages who were destined to become monsters since part of the early process of learning blue magic was literally grafting monster appendages like tentacles onto your body instead of absorbing the much more nebulous soul/essence. i might be mistaken though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Countblanc posted:

i think it was only the original blue mages who were destined to become monsters since part of the early process of learning blue magic was literally grafting monster appendages like tentacles onto your body instead of absorbing the much more nebulous soul/essence. i might be mistaken though

The BLU unlock quest has you getting your body modified and almost dying, so there's still all of that going on

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Blue Mages will be combat chefs wielding forks in the ancient Quan style.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Blue Mages will be pokemon lords and you'll only be able to use an attack if you can pull out a minion you own that knows it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/q3tlJVx.jpg

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DizzyBum posted:

If any class is going to get a whip, it should be Beastmaster.

Beastmaster class should be a pet class where the player character is the pet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Looking at a collection of all the leaks posted on the FFXIV reddit BLU is specifically "melee support DPS" so I think it's a safe bet that they're going to go with the FFXI middle eastern-esque style and they'll share gear with ninjas

This kinda pisses me off because the whole loving conceit of BLU is that they get hit to power up

It should've been BLU tank, DNC melee support (and sharing NIN gear), and CHM healer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just found the opposite of the "but I don't want to dps" healer person. We died a few times in the first few pulls of Aurum Vale, and the healer started whining about the DRK tank having bad gear, and I look at his gear and it's a little low but not "excuse for wiping" low; like mostly level ~40 stuff, not ideal but good enough for a 47 dungeon. Healer then blames me for letting him run out of mana and not using the MP transfer skill (which was partly my fault, but only in the sense that I didn't react quickly enough to the healer dropping the ball). Someone then pointed out that if people are dying they should probably focus on just healing until things are safe again (since they were also DPSing), and they said "but I want to dps."

edit: I think that's actually the first time I've encountered anyone combative in this game. My experience otherwise has generally been very positive, with people being very friendly even if you gently caress up, as long as you acknowledge it and are trying to do better.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 6, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Someone then pointed out that if people are dying they should probably focus on just healing until things are safe again (since they were also DPSing), and they said "but I want to dps."

Well, uh... that's so uncommon that I don't even have a snappy comeback.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you need to find that healer and tell them that you love them and that you need them

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I just found the opposite of the "but I don't want to dps" healer person. We died a few times in the first few pulls of Aurum Vale, and the healer started whining about the DRK tank having bad gear, and I look at his gear and it's a little low but not "excuse for wiping" low; like mostly level ~40 stuff, not ideal but good enough for a 47 dungeon. Healer then blames me for letting him run out of mana and not using the MP transfer skill (which was partly my fault, but only in the sense that I didn't react quickly enough to the healer dropping the ball). Someone then pointed out that if people are dying they should probably focus on just healing until things are safe again (since they were also DPSing), and they said "but I want to dps."

edit: I think that's actually the first time I've encountered anyone combative in this game. My experience otherwise has generally been very positive, with people being very friendly even if you gently caress up, as long as you acknowledge it and are trying to do better.
Lol at blaming people for not giving MP to the DRK.

Philonius posted:

My dearest wish is that class restrictions are removed for glamouring, so I can wear the Asuran tank gear on my samurai.
Use high allagan striking instead, its just as spikey.

Some things I wish they would change about glamours (aside from more item slots and plates) is adding an option that let you mirror gear, hairstyles being tied to plates, and different dyes for different parts of a single piece of gear.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 6, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Algid posted:

Lol at blaming people for not giving MP to the DRK.

lol no, sorry I wasn't clear, but I meant that they blamed me, a SMN, for not giving them, a WHM, MP. Which is somewhat true in the sense that if I were really good I would have been keeping track of that and siphoned them MP (or picked up the slack on healing before things got too dangerous), but the pull never should have ended up in those dire circumstances to begin with.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
He just got Holy at 45. You probably should have tried harder to fuel the most important spell in the game, you were really killing his HPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm personally hoping for the long shot introduction of Corsair to XIV as a dual-pistol gunmage-style pirate.

I just want to raid Garlean ships :negative: