Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

I'd really love to see it, but apparently none of the streaming services I have offer it in my country. :/
Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Here are the movies I've watched and enjoyed these last weeks to give you an idea:
Baby Driver
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Enemy
Prisoners
Blade Runner 2049
Zodiac
Mad Max: Fury Road
Get Out

In Order of Disappearance
The Bad Batch
Spring Breakers
RAW
her
Anamolisa
Moon
The Ritual
The Game
mother!
Amelie
Creep 1 & 2
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Santa Sangre
In Bruges
Boogie Nights
Streets of Fire (starz)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frog Act posted:

What are the best first contact with aliens type movies? I've watched Arrival, Contact, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Thing, Aliens, and some other major ones (first three recently) and I'm still sorta left wanting a better one. Arrival was probably my favorite for its relative thoughtfulness.

Anyone got any recommendations for standouts similar to those?

You have Aliens up there, have you seen the original Alien as well? If you haven't then it should be the first film you seek out.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Netflix just quietly added Black Panther.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Spermando posted:

I'd really love to see it, but apparently none of the streaming services I have offer it in my country. :/
Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Here are the movies I've watched and enjoyed these last weeks to give you an idea:
Baby Driver
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Enemy
Prisoners
Blade Runner 2049
Zodiac
Mad Max: Fury Road
Get Out

Gotta finish that Denis V quartet and watch Arrival

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sarchasm posted:

Netflix's algorithms are weird as gently caress, because I had absolutely no luck finding this under recently added or trending, until I specifically searched for it. Which is notable in this case, considering how big of a get it is for them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s a part of the old Disney deal they got years ago before streaming was a real thing. They’ve gotten all their Disney movies via this old deal.

It’s also why Disney’s streaming service didn’t launch last year or the year before and has to wait until 2019 or 2020. They’re running out the terms of their agreement with Netflix.

And for their part, Netflix doesn’t promote it like they normally would because they don’t want to set expectations for Disney content on their platform. Yes, it’s there but they aren’t interested in paying Disney levels of money to re-up their contract (not that Disney would take it to begin with).

So low key on all sides.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Fart City posted:

Netflix's algorithms are weird as gently caress, because I had absolutely no luck finding this under recently added or trending, until I specifically searched for it. Which is notable in this case, considering how big of a get it is for them.

They do this every time they add a Marvel movie, presumably to avoid crushing their servers. It'll be promoted in the usual channels in a few days.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I hope if you watch this, Netflix will recommend you all movies, series and documentaries that has the CIA in it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the algorithms that stare at goats

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tim Whatley posted:

Jack Ryan is really good, drat

I liked it, but it has a long way to go to reach the level of quality of something season 1 or 4 of Homeland. Jack Ryan at times just felt like a typical network CIA show that was allowed to flash some skin and that had Bunk from The Wire. Certain story lines were way too convenient (especially how his Ebola girlfriend found out he was in the CIA, and that she ended up taking care of the president), and the final showdown was pretty anti-climatic.

Still despite all that I liked it a lot. It was a fun ride, and I hope season 2 they do something different (please not another Muslim terrorist). Someone mentioned going after domestic terrorist like Neo-Nazis, and I think that would be great.

Also I finally figured what where I've seen that Tony guy before that shows up in episode 6 of Jack Ryan. He is the reason I started thinking about season 4 of Homeland.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations. Y tu mamá también is the only one of these I've watched. I also need to track down Arrival. How good is Incendies, by the way?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I liked it, but it has a long way to go to reach the level of quality of something season 1 or 4 of Homeland. Jack Ryan at times just felt like a typical network CIA show that was allowed to flash some skin and that had Bunk from The Wire. Certain story lines were way too convenient (especially how his Ebola girlfriend found out he was in the CIA, and that she ended up taking care of the president), and the final showdown was pretty anti-climatic.

Still despite all that I liked it a lot. It was a fun ride, and I hope season 2 they do something different (please not another Muslim terrorist). Someone mentioned going after domestic terrorist like Neo-Nazis, and I think that would be great.

Also I finally figured what where I've seen that Tony guy before that shows up in episode 6 of Jack Ryan. He is the reason I started thinking about season 4 of Homeland.

How would you say it stacks up against whatever you consider the best season of 24 to be?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Y tu mamá también is the only one of these I've watched. I also need to track down Arrival. How good is Incendies, by the way?

Arrival is on Amazon Prime, in HD and 4k.

I haven't seen Incendies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

feedmyleg posted:

How would you say it stacks up against whatever you consider the best season of 24 to be?

What if Jack Ryan just doesn't stack up at all against Homeland any season I've watched, but I was trying to avoid the whole bad seasons argument that always come with Homeland. I think I stopped watching 24 before it got bad, so you know the answer to that.

Also if anyone wants to watch cold war/spy type stuff, Counterpart is amazing (best show I've watched this year). I know not officially streaming for free, but it is easy to get a Starz trial and binge the show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 5, 2018

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I watched The Gift on Netflix last night and it was great. I love Jason Bateman and anytime he's playing a swarmy bullying rear end in a top hat I'm on board as he has the perfect face for that sort of character. By the end of the movie you'll heavily empathize with the guy Joel Edgerton plays and understand a lot of why he does the creepy poo poo he does.

Due to the excellent amount of tension this movie builds up, I was expecting heads to roll pretty early on. But instead nobody died at all and that was a really neat subversion. You don't have to kill anyone for a movie to be creepy and scary. All you gotta do is have the "villain" drug Jason Bateman's wife and maybe rape her :aaa:.

I recommend this to people that always wonder why a man can't be the protagonist of a Lifetime movie. I also recommend Lifetime movies when you're sitting at home really drunk on a Saturday.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Spermando posted:

I think Incendies is incredible. Definitely queue up something a bit more lighthearted afterwards though. My fiance refers to it as the best movie she never wants to watch again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I watched The Gift on Netflix last night and it was great. I love Jason Bateman and anytime he's playing a swarmy bullying rear end in a top hat I'm on board as he has the perfect face for that sort of character. By the end of the movie you'll heavily empathize with the guy Joel Edgerton plays and understand a lot of why he does the creepy poo poo he does

yeah that movie is insanely good

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Full Metal Jacket is on Netflix as of this month. I’m finally going to watch this drat movie!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Full Metal Jacket is on Netflix as of this month. I’m finally going to watch this drat movie!

Whoa, anyone else who hasn't seen this should probably rectify that asap.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I watched The Gift on Netflix last night and it was great. I love Jason Bateman and anytime he's playing a swarmy bullying rear end in a top hat I'm on board as he has the perfect face for that sort of character. By the end of the movie you'll heavily empathize with the guy Joel Edgerton plays and understand a lot of why he does the creepy poo poo he does.

Due to the excellent amount of tension this movie builds up, I was expecting heads to roll pretty early on. But instead nobody died at all and that was a really neat subversion. You don't have to kill anyone for a movie to be creepy and scary. All you gotta do is have the "villain" drug Jason Bateman's wife and maybe rape her :aaa:.

I recommend this to people that always wonder why a man can't be the protagonist of a Lifetime movie. I also recommend Lifetime movies when you're sitting at home really drunk on a Saturday.

The Gift is a really good movie where, by the end, the only person I had an ounce of sympathy for was the wife.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

The Gift is a really good movie where, by the end, the only person I had an ounce of sympathy for was the wife.

I was really confused until I realized you all weren't talking about the 2000 Raimi movie (which was excellent I thought but haven't revisited since then)

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

enigmahfc posted:

In truth, the wife is the only person in that movie that deserves even an ounce of respect. The way the Jason Bateman character treats her had me wishing for his death about 25 minutes into the movie. The way he talks over her all the time and treats her like some kinda special needs kid was infuriating.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I really dig Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Very funny. I hear there is a season 3/4 coming as well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PaganGoatPants posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I really dig Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Very funny. I hear there is a season 3/4 coming as well.

I said something about it when I checked it out a while back and it’s a genuinely funny, charming show. Been watching a few episodes a night.

Kinda reminds me of Little Mosque on the Prairie (dunno if that’s up on any streaming). The CBC puts out good sitcoms.

E:

Enos Cabell posted:

Whoa, anyone else who hasn't seen this should probably rectify that asap.

Seriously. I asked here if it was streaming anywhere a few months ago, because I’d never seen it and had no clue why I’ve never seen it.

drat good movie!

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2018

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I first watched Full Metal Jacket in a tenth grade film history class and that scene where Pyle blows his brains out in that bathroom still ranks among my top five movie moments almost a decade later. If you've never seen Full Metal Jacket you need to drop whatever you're doing and watch it right now. It's your patriotic duty.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I first watched Full Metal Jacket in a tenth grade film history class and that scene where Pyle blows his brains out in that bathroom still ranks among my top five movie moments almost a decade later. If you've never seen Full Metal Jacket you need to drop whatever you're doing and watch it right now. It's your patriotic duty.

It's an amazing movie followed immediately by a pretty good movie.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DangerDummy! posted:

It's an amazing movie followed immediately by a pretty good movie.

This is a very good description of it for sure

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Full Metal Jacket is perfect and anyone who talks trash about the third act can go suck a golfball through a water hose.

Seriously, the third act ties up all the thematic arcs while bringing up new ideas during one of the most tense stand-offs ever, especially in a theater. The horror thread did a debate about how gun-horror isn't very common, and the sniper climax is terrifying example of doing it right.

Enos Cabell posted:

I was really confused until I realized you all weren't talking about the 2000 Raimi movie (which was excellent I thought but haven't revisited since then)

Rewatch it. It's good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Children of Men is apparently on Prime Streaming now.

If you haven’t seen it, watch it. It’s one of the best movies of the 2000’s. I watch it every December with a different friend and they’re always shocked afterwards.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

children of men is in my top 5 favorite movies ever. watch it now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Children of Men was kinda weird for me in that my immediate reaction was that it was just okay, but my thoughts kept returning to it for months and I realized I liked it more than I thought.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hellboy is more fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Children of Men was kinda weird for me in that my immediate reaction was that it was just okay, but my thoughts kept returning to it for months and I realized I liked it more than I thought.

Same. I thought it was decent back when it came out, but upon rewatch a while back it immediately became one of my favorite movies.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Children of Men is an incredible movie to watch with people who have never seen it. The shift from yeah this is solid to oh poo poo this is great, and then the tension of the entire end. It's a fun ride to relive with people.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Timotheous Venture posted:

I think Incendies is incredible. Definitely queue up something a bit more lighthearted afterwards though. My fiance refers to it as the best movie she never wants to watch again.

Polytechnique is on prime right now and it's both better and more devastating

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Children of Men is apparently on Prime Streaming now.

If you haven’t seen it, watch it. It’s one of the best movies of the 2000’s. I watch it every December with a different friend and they’re always shocked afterwards.

Yeah, the ceasefire still easily ranks in my overall best movie scenes of all time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

Full Metal Jacket is perfect and anyone who talks trash about the third act can go suck a golfball through a water hose.

The intensity of the training camp portion leads most people to think it's far superior after a first viewing. Every time I watch the movie I like the third act more. It's a fantastic movie from beginning to end.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People exist who only remember the training camp part and think it's pro-war. They're real.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As a Marine I've watched the boot camp segment of FMJ so many times I've lost count. I bet I've watched the opening at least 100 times. As you can imagine the movie is big in the Marines (along with Generation Kill, which came out long after I left the service), and you have people who can recite the boot camp part word by word. Still overall I thought the movie as a whole was great.

FMJ is close as you can get to a factual experience at Parris Island (yes I was hit several times and had even crazier things happen to me during my 13 weeks there, but this was back in the 90's). At the same time I found Generation Kill to be as close as you can get to the actual experience of being a Marine in the fleet. It captured the sense of humor and language of Marines perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People exist who only remember the training camp part and think it's pro-war. They're real.

And this is why I don't like FMJ. Everyone around me always masturbated to the first half of the film and we never had time to finish watching it (because free time is a precious commodity in the military). I just can't bring myself to watch it again.