Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry to go back a while, but is the contempt for "fake gamer girls, just pretending to like video games so that real gamer boys will like them" still a thing? I know "gamers" have contempt for women in general, I am talking more the straw-woman "hey guys, I play video games too, I'm not like those bimbos who only like the Kardassians etc."

Because, who wants attention from "gamers"? What self respecting woman is prepared to pretend to like a thing so they can hook up with an unemployed neckbeard living in his mums basement that screams racial, homophobic and misogynist slurs at children because they lost at something that is supposed to be fun?
I was like that as a teen. I was already full of internalized misogyny, and I wanted acceptance from the other people who enjoyed what I did. I was also too weird for non-nerds, so I also felt like it was the one place I could get a boyfriend. Those were more just stupid teenaged boys though, not gamergaters.

e: terrible snipe

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1037419376817987589?s=20
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1037419929870450688?s=20

Araenna has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also turbo nerds tend to have a decent amount of disposable income and poor impulse control so I understand why someone who makes their living as a cam girl or streamer might reach out to that demographic.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

What self respecting woman is prepared to pretend to like a thing so they can hook up with an unemployed neckbeard living in his mums basement that screams racial, homophobic and misogynist slurs at children because they lost at something that is supposed to be fun?

Fixed that for you.

I've known a couple of women like this and its almost invariably the result of internalized misogyny, profound self-loathing and also having had the sad revelation that, metaphorically speaking, if you have no standards whatsoever, even a dumpster becomes a free all-you-can-eat buffet.

(probably also unmedicated mental illness)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Because, who wants attention from "gamers"? What self respecting woman is prepared to pretend to like a thing so they can hook up with an unemployed neckbeard living in his mums basement that screams racial, homophobic and misogynist slurs at children because they lost at something that is supposed to be fun?

But they would never treat a woman like that, it would be all elegantly tipped fedoras and "m'lady"s. Unless they got turned down over IMs.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1037480748037689347?s=19

"Eva Braun didn't have tattoos, therfore a woman with a swastika on her breast isn't necessarily a Nazi." Is certainly a new one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry to go back a while, but is the contempt for "fake gamer girls, just pretending to like video games so that real gamer boys will like them" still a thing? I know "gamers" have contempt for women in general, I am talking more the straw-woman "hey guys, I play video games too, I'm not like those bimbos who only like the Kardassians etc."

"This woman engages in my hobby because she wants male attention and no other reason" is going to be a part of the culture as long as sexism in general is, along with the cool girls who play along with it out of their own internalized misogyny. If you want a current gamer-specific example look up the arguments over boobie streamers on twitch and how they're not real gamers because they're just selling their sex appeal. I'll let you fill in the blanks on what makes someone a boobie streamer as opposed to a real gamer; the hint is in the name.

YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE A BABY AND GO GET SOME MCDONALDS YOU CHEAP gently caress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

My God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?!

Pulitzer material.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm a gamer because I play games.

Don't let assholes redefine a term to mean something it doesn't.

Ularg posted:

Have you tried brushing you teeth with one of those electric song toothbrushes playing Through the Fire and Flames? I think not!

I'm a Brusher now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

For any kind of research you still can't beat the UI of a big-rear end desk and books with bookmarks; for speed, comfort, or reliability.
A good digital version with proper table of contents, formatting, etc. is way better than a physical book. A physical book does beat the standard poorly-scanned PDF though.

Whoever took this photo deserves an award.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tiggum posted:

A good digital version with proper table of contents, formatting, etc. is way better than a physical book. A physical book does beat the standard poorly-scanned PDF though.

Whoever took this photo deserves an award.

Could someone summarise what's going on in the picture for someone who isn't American and doesn't recognise any of the people in it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Breetai posted:

Could someone summarise what's going on in the picture for someone who isn't American and doesn't recognise any of the people in it?

Black-haired beard guy on the left is the guy in charge of Twitter. Pleading round-faced beard guy being held back on the right is Alex Jones, a popular garbage conspiracy theoriest who has just been banned from Twitter.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

Also turbo nerds tend to have a decent amount of disposable income and poor impulse control so I understand why someone who makes their living as a cam girl or streamer might reach out to that demographic.

Oh, I understand the cam-girl phenomenon of milking cash from the sad and lonely.

I was instead wondering more about the phenomenon of a man who plays video games because he enjoys them looking across and seeing a woman playing video games, and instead of thinking, "I play video games because I enjoy them, therefore she must play video games because she enjoys them", thinks "She is only playing video games to get into my hot sweaty cheeto stained trackpants."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Midnight Voyager posted:

this is like, some renaissance-era painting.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh, I understand the cam-girl phenomenon of milking cash from the sad and lonely.

I was instead wondering more about the phenomenon of a man who plays video games because he enjoys them looking across and seeing a woman playing video games, and instead of thinking, "I play video games because I enjoy them, therefore she must play video games because she enjoys them", thinks "She is only playing video games to get into my hot sweaty cheeto stained trackpants."

That would require him to understand that women are fully formed independent human beings and not simply objects to be used to fulfil his needs and desires.

Many of them genuinely seem to struggle with this very basic concept.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Midnight Voyager posted:

This needs to be turned into a painting, and also stretched out a bit to fit in Laura Loomer.

It's... it's perfect.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Misogynists assume everything women do is to get men's attention.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Breetai posted:

With images - sadly Loomer doesn't have a logo so I had to make do.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Bahahaha
Glorious. Cheers for that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By the by was it ever established whether the song is "see lying woman" or "sea lion woman"?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ularg posted:

This needs to be turned into a painting, and also stretched out a bit to fit in Laura Loomer.

It's... it's perfect.

I feel like the amount of Loomer in this photo perfectly represents her life.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

By the by was it ever established whether the song is "see lying woman" or "sea lion woman"?

"Ceiling woman", clearly.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can never have too little Loomer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Admiral Joeslop posted:

She is a perfect illustration of nominative determinism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Ceiling woman", clearly.

Does... does your ceiling rhyme with pee frying?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does... does your ceiling rhyme with pee frying?

Yeah, I need to talk to my landlord about the upstairs neighbor.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I wonder what word you could replace “sea lion” with, to clear up this analogy a bit???

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

I wonder what word you could replace “sea lion” with, to clear up this analogy a bit???

"You"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Cryptocurrency fanatics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Calico Heart posted:

The ethnic or sexual minority of your choice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The sea lion could easily be replaced by gun owning 2nd amendment types.

It's not meant to be something racist or bad like "I could do without Black people". It's warning against saying something aloud because you'll now get zerg rushed by stupid loving arguments like, "did you know the AR-15's bullet is very small" or "I bet you think AR stands for Assault Rifle."

Could also apply to Bitcoin and Gamergate.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Perestroika posted:

Black-haired beard guy on the left is the guy in charge of Twitter. Pleading round-faced beard guy being held back on the right is Alex Jones, a popular garbage conspiracy theoriest who has just been banned from Twitter.
Cop on the left is taking no poo poo from anyone.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

It absolutely is. This was just posted by one of the Korean players who was a part of the Overwatch League just the other day about having girls in his twitch chat:

https://twitter.com/gatamchun/status/1037402146466082817

She goes into details about the comment in a few other tweets

quote:

Not to harp on this, and I’m sure many of you know - but the reason what Gambler said upset so many fans is because there is already an overwhelming perception of women fans in KR gaming communities as “vocal fangirls who don’t even really know/play the game.”

Which is of course patently untrue. I’ve seen my fangirl mutuals do some great analysis, make great fanvids, and also raise their voice on important player issues. But the fact remains that having “a predominantly female fandom” is, apparently, something to be embarrassed about.

And for the female fans hearing Gambler say “I don’t want my stream to seem like one of those [majority-female fandoms]” speaks to them deeply about how ultimately, no matter how much they support him, it’s male approval he craves.

It doesn't have the same connotations you were asking about but the essence is the same: girls are bad for business.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol Twitch chat is literally the lowest form of online discourse

https://twitter.com/COINCELPRO/status/1037879955106017280

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zoux posted:

Someone is very enthusiastic about that sweet, sweet D.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

zoux posted:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

zoux posted:

He's not very good at Tinder, is he?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

He's not very good at Tinder, is he?

Yeah he left out all the asterisk-enclosed bits about tipping hats and nervous coughs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/palebirdy/status/1037833865392545793?s=21

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

El Classico

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1037848695272824832?s=21

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Why the gently caress would you spend your bio description ranting about other people's bios on a dating site? I mean maybe you'd have a bit more luck if you didn't swim around in your own chunky poo poo no matter where you were, even places where you get to tailor your image for complete strangers.

Also, hiking and outdoors activities are boring? What is he looking for, "videogames and taking fatty microdicks up the rear end"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

What is he looking for, "videogames and taking fatty microdicks up the rear end"?

Absolutely not. No fake gamer girls.