Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Not "his quirk is villainous, so peoples' expectations push him toward villainy", as Shinso, but more that his quirk would make a good thematic fit for a villain (or at least antagonist/rival, which he already sort of is) given how the story's treated the idea of imitation up to now. Much the same way Toga's transformation powers are paired with an unhealthy obsession with becoming the people she "loves", or Twice's quirk leading to identity issues with whether he's the real him or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Raposa posted:

Deku unknowingly reaches a new level of power thanks to his dreams, resulting in his air bullet shattering Shinsou's pelvis. He will never walk again.

Shinsou the Wheelie hero rides into action!

If Shinsou is Wheels, Deku is clearly The Legman.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dolash posted:

Not "his quirk is villainous, so peoples' expectations push him toward villainy", as Shinso, but more that his quirk would make a good thematic fit for a villain (or at least antagonist/rival, which he already sort of is) given how the story's treated the idea of imitation up to now. Much the same way Toga's transformation powers are paired with an unhealthy obsession with becoming the people she "loves", or Twice's quirk leading to identity issues with whether he's the real him or not.

How has the series been treating imitation? I don't really recall imitation being a super strong theme, especially not as something villainous or evil.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

MS also has a translation up, by the way, and while the fonts they use aren't as pretty it looks like they're actually the more accurate translation this time around, at least at some points; among other things, they don't have Kaminari saying/thinking the exact opposite of what he means and what happens on page 7.

Edit: On the other hand some of their dialog sounds worse, and there's a typo or two, so, neither one's perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on this, this was a much clearer and IMO overall better translation. I found it interesting comparing the differences between the two translations.

The link, by the way: https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/197/5331/1

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How has the series been treating imitation? I don't really recall imitation being a super strong theme, especially not as something villainous or evil.

There was a Reddit (I think) effortpost, detailing the poster's interpretation of all that stuff. As with all art, interpretations can vary wildly.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not to over-invest in any one fan theory, but this post someone linked a while back made a pretty compelling case that unhealthy imitation is a recurring theme in the story, so a character whose power is copying other peoples' powers and obsesses over comparing classes would be an ideal candidate. Just idle speculation though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dolash posted:

Not to over-invest in any one fan theory, but this post someone linked a while back made a pretty compelling case that unhealthy imitation is a recurring theme in the story, so a character whose power is copying other peoples' powers and obsesses over comparing classes would be an ideal candidate. Just idle speculation though.

I feel like this is reading way too far into Uraraka's admiration of Deku and how she's dealing with it but it's a fair enough interpretation.

Anyway, my good friend Monoma is too cool to become a villain and nothing about him even really seems all that mean. Even his extreme pettiness and childish grudge just makes him come off as a loser rather than like a bully.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm not saying he's going to become a villain, but his obsessive hatred of 1a leading him to go too far in a training would fit, even if it's only to check his monomania.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine the big twist to this whole exercise is gonna be One For All not behaving how he expects when he finally uses it due to whatever happened in the dream. Hopefully it's no-one getting injured but who knows.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that essay's decent except for almost every part of it concerning ochako

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tsuyu seems to be the hero who is most competent with their power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Say Nothing posted:

Tsuyu seems to be the hero who is most competent with their power.
To be fair there's not much to her powers. Really the tongue is kind of a liability if used wrong though.

If I was a badguy and was fighting her and had an edged weapon on me I know what I'd be slashing at.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It’s actually kind of refreshing that Toga figured out that weakness almost immediately.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It’s actually kind of refreshing that Toga figured out that weakness almost immediately.

Toga's a real prodigy. A go getter.

Seriously, she might be a high schooler, but she's already killing people at a graduate level.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Toga's a real prodigy. A go getter.

Seriously, she might be a high schooler, but she's already killing people at a graduate level.

horikoshi needs to properly confirm/deny if her quirk copies other people's powers as well because that'd tip her over to being one of the biggest powerhouses in the comic

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

he needs to confirm whether or not shes using her quirk to transform into herself over and over again to stay a highschooler

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

horikoshi needs to properly confirm/deny if her quirk copies other people's powers as well because that'd tip her over to being one of the biggest powerhouses in the comic

She kind of is already.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dolash posted:

Monoma seems like the obvious candidate for getting bumped out of Heroics to make room for Shinso. The chip on his shoulder about 1-A is wearing kind of thin

Actually, it's hilarious every time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oxxidation posted:

I wonder if it's maybe the reverse of Eraserhead's situation? He can't suppress quirks that are just part of someone's nature (like being a big, strong monster man), just turn off ones with an activation component. Similarly, if Toga can't recreate an activation quirk like Uraraka's anti-grav, maybe she could still recreate someone else's power to fly with wings or gain strength from being muscular.

It'd make some peoples' blood more valuable to gain utility or combat powers instead of just using it for disguises. It might help her pose more of a combat threat later in the story apart from just her knife and needle.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 8, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

To be fair there's not much to her powers. Really the tongue is kind of a liability if used wrong though.

If I was a badguy and was fighting her and had an edged weapon on me I know what I'd be slashing at.

When you superpower is having the abilities of a frog, then you have to make the best of it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Where did the comic say that adding Shinsou means bumping another student out of the hero course? I don't remember anything like that, only somebody saying that if somebody really borked it at the Sports Festival that they might be moved to the generals

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thetoughestbean posted:

Where did the comic say that adding Shinsou means bumping another student out of the hero course? I don't remember anything like that, only somebody saying that if somebody really borked it at the Sports Festival that they might be moved to the generals

Shinsou said, during the time he was talking to 1-A before the sports festival, that mid-semester was when they would reconsider people for transfers and that they might get bumped for a general studies student.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Okay, I looked at my copy of volume 3 and nowhere does it say that Shinsou being moved to the hero course means that somebody will be replaced, just that somebody could be removed from the hero course if they gently caress up during the sports festival

proof:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He could just be speculating because he was being a dick at the time

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would be extremely weird for any of the current hero class kids to get transferred out at this point barring some super major fuckup, since it's an explicit thing in the story that officials want to increase the number of qualified heroes substantially which is why all the kids got provisional licenses and some of them took part in the Overhaul raid.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can't wait for Mineta to finally be written out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

It would be extremely weird for any of the current hero class kids to get transferred out at this point barring some super major fuckup, since it's an explicit thing in the story that officials want to increase the number of qualified heroes substantially which is why all the kids got provisional licenses and some of them took part in the Overhaul raid.

Oh yeah, I never thought about it that way. No-one who passed the provisional exam is getting transferred and Bakugo and Todoroki ain't going anywhere either. I think 1-B all passed as well so that pretty much quashes that idea imo. The only way anyone is getting replaced is if they're the traitor.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Can't wait for Mineta to finally be written out.

Horikoshi is Mineta. He will not write himself out of his own story.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

When you superpower is having the abilities of a frog, then you have to make the best of it.

She could potentially be an insanely good hero if she worked on one other aspect of her frogginess. Her mucous could potentially subdue villains with just a touch if she could learn to secrete muscle relaxants like what can be obtained from poison dart frogs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Deified Data posted:

Why Bakugo so eager to lose to Midoriya, if he admits his suspicions are true he has to acknowledge he stands no chance

God, I love the Anime thread, every post is amazing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

grieving for Gandalf posted:

actually it makes me think of that Marvel vs Capcom character (maybe they're from Darkstalkers?) who shoots knives and other weapons from her long sleeves and this dude essentially shoots little blades from his sleeves, so maybe there's some kind of allusion we're not aware of

Fwiw Hsien-ko is also a jiang shi

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hmm... The anime removed references to Stain being in prison again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

oh jay posted:

Hmm... The anime removed references to Stain being in prison again.

I guess since Stain hasn't been relevant in the manga for a long time, they didn't think it was important to add.

Watching the new episode and I just noticed that Deku is wearing a little sleeve over his big gross arm scar. How long has he been doing that?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Okay, I looked at my copy of volume 3 and nowhere does it say that Shinsou being moved to the hero course means that somebody will be replaced, just that somebody could be removed from the hero course if they gently caress up during the sports festival

proof:

Right. The way it's worded sounds nothing like "we can steal your spots" and more like "we can be moved up to the Hero Course if we do well enough, and if you guys do poorly, you can get bumped down to General". Makes sense.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Look, we only have 20 desks in each class, either someone has to leave or someone is standing for the semester!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
For the last time, he's going to replace The Traitor™, who will inevitably be a dude so that the class' male-female ratio isn't disrupted

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes

All Might and Tsukauchi are adorable.

Ingmur link

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes

All Might and Tsukauchi are adorable.

Ingmur link
Also some world-building for people who are interested in what the people who're giants or huge heteromorphs have to do to get by.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vengarr posted:

For the last time, he's going to replace The Traitor™, who will inevitably be a dude so that the class' male-female ratio isn't disrupted

kaminari_traitor_theory_totally_confirmed_real_proof.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
He legitimately does have the most sinister looking face. It totally caught me off guard on that hair swap thing.