Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Box of Bunnies posted:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1039960197291098112

The gist is "I know he's done a lot of heinous poo poo that's entirely counter to the teachings of Jesus while immigration minister and treasurer but surely he'll do a complete 180 now that he's prime minister!"

Is this person naive or just trying to stir poo poo? Especially going with this kind of take the week after Morrison used his religion as the basis for some rancid anti-LGBT poo poo
"Simon Smart is a Director of the Centre for Public Christianity and the co-author with Jane Caro, Antony Loewenstein and Rachel Woodlock of For God's Sake - An Atheist, a Jew, a Christian and a Muslim Debate Religion. A former history and English teacher, he studied theology at Regent College, Vancouver. He is the author of a number of books including Bright Lights Dark Nights - the Enduring Faith of 13 Remarkable Australians."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who injected Aunty with Howard Battler blood

Anidav fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 12, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

~balance~

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
"Malcolm is hurting, I understand that," said a Dutton supporter. "But this is desperate nonsense. He has no regard for the prime minister and no regard for the Liberal Party."

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Guarantee the unreleased report says something like it doesn't really happen in Australia except for minorities like judaism and Islam where it's up like 700%, otherwise they'd release it all over the joint

fiery_valkyrie posted:

It seems like the Liberal Party don’t like it when their female MP’s start speaking up.

Shame Gichuhi backed down. Not like she has anything to lose.

This just confirms it's all of them right? If it was only Dutton crew or Morrisons crew then they'd say

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanos was right

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Anidav posted:

What's with the women of the LNP why are they so spineless as to let ScoMo deny it all and not name names. Surely it would be better to give scomo a trigger to purge the Duttonistas rather than hiding it.

Page back, but I wanted to effortpost and add to the other responses because I've heard this sentiment from more than one person, there are a few factors at play. (Not having a go at you Anidav, just using your comment as the discussion starting point.)

One is an undeniable lack of feminist allyship from LNP men. This probably isn't that surprising, but it is important to bear in mind. It's a lot harder to stand up against a widespread institutional dynamic if it's you and two other people doing it. Especially if you want to run for your seat again next year, and those people you're complaining about are in positions of direct authority over you, or good mates with the people who are.

It's hard enough for totes woke leftist guys to show genuine feminist, or hell, even just female allyship, let alone a bunch of old white guys who don't care and don't even believe in it in the first place.

I think it's also important to note how parliament is different from other workplaces. Anywhere else, three women complaining about institutional bullying and abuse would likely at least warrant some kind of investigation, possibly even culminating in the offender/s being terminated. The problem is, if MPs are committing the abuse, you can't fire them. Election makes you untouchable in that regard.

I'd also point out the issue in the phrasing of the question - why are the Liberal men so spineless that they won't stand up against it either? I know the real answer is "because they are spineless, they don't want to rock the boat, they'd rather sacrifice women MPs than themselves or their friends" and so on, but the question that was asked was "why haven't the women done more?" The question we should be asking, just as if it was an abusive personal relationship and not an abusive professional relationship, is why aren't the men who know it's going on (and I guarantee you, everyone knows who's doing it) doing more to stop it and support the women?

Tldr parliament is weird and men are poo poo, especially LNP men.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nobody asks why the men who know about it not doing anything because those men are liberals and they support it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Guarantee the unreleased report says something like it doesn't really happen in Australia except for minorities like judaism and Islam where it's up like 700%, otherwise they'd release it all over the joint

Not necessarily; it could be a bunch of heinous reactionary poo poo they don’t want to put out to public before the byelection, in case any of the green tories get nervous

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The funnest part about the Libs' outlook on women's issues and systemic feminism is that even though there's probably a handful of men that appreciate the problem and may even be sympathetic, they'd never openly say so, because it might upset THE BASE!! THE BASE!!! CAN'T UPSET THE BASE!!!*

*can piss off the entire rest of the country but the 15% of self-identifying conservative News readers MUST BE APPEASED

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Then how do you explain every sixth post in this threads history?
Fruit so low hanging it is technically a tuber.

Birdstrike posted:

shut up. shut up

we all know it should be tithin singing slutty gay beet

tithin posted:

I'm not sure I have that anymore.
Or want it. Sucks to be you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEmnTuaJ6I

I humbly submit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjNKbOFPnOc

or :nsfw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I Hey God Save the Queen is British!

Anidav posted:

What's with the women of the LNP why are they so spineless as to let ScoMo deny it all and not name names. Surely it would be better to give scomo a trigger to purge the Duttonistas rather than hiding it.
The irony is that the complaints of bullying only stopped because the complainers were bullied into stopping. Federal parliament is :allears: atm.

lua posted:

Couple of pages late but
The figures are a little misleading because of the not insignificant number of mega 'farms' with assets in the billions. Unfortunately at the lower end you have a wicked problem. No general legislation (Shh full communism isn't legislation per se) will simultaneously eject the worst environmental offenders while still allowing the smaller eco-friendly players to compete. At the lower margins farmers tend to over stock despite knowing it is a shitful idea and then hold off selling stock until they are unable to support the welfare of that stock. And now there are fuckheads actively campaigning for more rural slave labour visas. Guest workers are a loving terrible idea. gently caress the farmers federation for simultaneously supporting STOP THE BOATS and claiming migrants don't integrate and advocating for increased access to guest workers. gently caress those clowns to death.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/new-visa-for-foreign-farm-workers/10240522

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1040023032171917313

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Starshark posted:

No you loving idiot it should be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajeL87l3prM

:hmmyes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/1040033224062316544

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Hm yes imagine someone continuing to work in a destructive organisation while refusing to stand up for what’s right despite what professional cost it may carry.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maybe she will turn him into less of a dickhead
Does that actually happen?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EoinCannon posted:

Maybe she will turn him into less of a dickhead
Does that actually happen?
In cheap romance novels? All the time.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hm yes imagine someone continuing to work in a destructive organisation while refusing to stand up for what’s right despite what professional cost it may carry.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

IIRC, 18C already covers anti-semitism. Not sure if that also extends to other federal anti discrimination laws, but I assume it is.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WA Today posted:

The state government is investigating after a jarrah tree estimated to be about 300-400 years old was felled just south of Bunbury in an apparent act of environmental vandalism.
-snip-
The incident follows one in 2016 in which a Main Roads subcontractor felled a 500-year-old jarrah containing nesting hollows, one of only a handful left in Perth, on the proposed Roe 8 pathway in Coolbellup, because of a beehive in it.

Sustainable!

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/mystery-vandal-chops-down-massive-400-year-old-king-jarrah-tree-20180911-p5034c.html

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/09/12/morrison-get-over-it/

quote:

Fewer attacks were directed at embattled Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton.

uh-oh, someone update the potato chart

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
FYI, Morrison has no desire to purge the duttonistas, and I doubt that most of them are going to agitate that much against Morrison.

Abbott will still flail and piss and moan because of Relevance Deprivation Syndrome; but I think most of the CHUDs responsible for ousting Malcolm are going to be pleasantly surprised by their new leader.

I'm seeing more and more evidence that "Moderate ScoMo" was in fact a bullshit facade to gain power in the Turnbull govt. I mean, look at his behaviour under Abbott. Look at some of the poo poo he's spouted since becoming PM.

He's on their team.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

i <3 beet

i'm amazed it still exists

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
So when is the housing market set to crash and burn? I'm looking for a house atm- But would love to snap me a loving bargain.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Cpt Soban posted:

So when is the housing market set to crash and burn? I'm looking for a house atm- But would love to snap me a loving bargain.

IMO it won't crash and burn, but it's very complex and difficult to predict.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Current accepted timeline is a 12-15% slide over 4 years, but the fact that it's accepted means little since the accepted truth has been there is no bubble (meaning it could get a lot worse). However, the top of the market is falling faster than the bottom of the market and there are buyer incentives (e.g. VIC stamp duty waived for properties up to ??600k?? for first home buyers) propping up the bottom to some extent.

In the numbers I'm looking at for rent vs mortgage the amount you'd pay in rent is equivalent to the projected 12-15% decline in value, so there's literally no harm in waiting.

However, personal circumstances and stability are also important. So ... Don't buy it unless you're happy to live in it for the long haul. Because you might not have a choice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/quaedvliegs/status/1040051979874066435

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Yep! they can get a reply published in Hansard.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I would blow Roman Quaedvlieg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chadzok posted:

I would blow Roman Quaedvlieg

Anidav please change my name

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Liberal Party: "we are the party for individual freedom and liberty, and free speech"

Also the Liberal Party: "HOW DARE YOU ATTACK OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM" *screaming at 9 year old*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The best part about the Dutton V Quidgebow spat is that either way, a giant pissbaby fascist loses.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1039960197291098112

The gist is "I know he's done a lot of heinous poo poo that's entirely counter to the teachings of Jesus while immigration minister and treasurer but surely he'll do a complete 180 now that he's prime minister!"

Is this person naive or just trying to stir poo poo? Especially going with this kind of take the week after Morrison used his religion as the basis for some rancid anti-LGBT poo poo

There was an identical article for Tony Abbott when he first became PM. It may even be partially plagiarized. I wonder if it was by the same author or if there is something about being a deeply conservative christian that produces extreme intellectual conformity.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This almost killed me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Just a bit more information about Roman Quaedvlieg’s tweet about his right of reply.
Quaedvlieg submitted to the speaker of the house Tony Smith that he wanted a right of reply over Peter Dutton’s comment that he had “groomed” a young (but adult) woman.

The process for these complaints is that they are referred to the privileges committee, which I understand met last night.

Given Quaedvlieg has said that the process is “wonderfully efficient”, it seems safe to assume that the committee has given the green light for him to give a right of reply. This is in the form of a statement - usually given the next day - which is presented to the house and incorporated into hansard.

So we should see Quaedvlieg’s reply very soon - and because it will be in hansard it has the same status and protection as Dutton’s original statement, said under parliamentary privilege.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/sep/13/coalition-labor-morrison-shorten-dutton-women

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

This almost killed me

Wait until the continuing probe into Dutton's impropriety leads to her having overstayed her visa or something.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/ginarush/status/1039659010197057536

This government should be burned to the ground and salted

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s really cool that MPs can make libellous statements against you and literally the only recourse you have is having “nuh uh” read into Hansard

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

It’s really cool that MPs can make libellous statements against you and literally the only recourse you have is having “nuh uh” read into Hansard

That reply has parliamentary privilege so you could say all kinds of wild things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Yeah but you can make libellous statements back because you have the same privilege

• Locked thread