Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean it seems like she's a pretty green candidate making a lot of unforced errors, sure, but it's also a state senate primary. I suspect AoC spooked incumbent bad Dems enough that the smear oppo research machine is having some sort of extreme antigen response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also throwing accusations of antisemitism and fake Jews at anyone who doesn't lick the taint of the Israeli right wing has been a standby of racist shitheads of either party for a looooong time now, especially in NY.

See also, the gov primary race.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mrmcd posted:

I mean it seems like she's a pretty green candidate making a lot of unforced errors, sure, but it's also a state senate primary. I suspect AoC spooked incumbent bad Dems enough that the smear oppo research machine is having some sort of extreme antigen response.

Except that there’s a solid dozen state senate primary challenges from the left around the state and none of them are imploding like Salazar. At some point the level of scrutiny stops being the problem.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CaptainPsyko posted:

Except that there’s a solid dozen state senate primary challenges from the left around the state and none of them are imploding like Salazar. At some point the level of scrutiny stops being the problem.

How would you say salazar is imploding beyond what's prompted by the level of scrutiny

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1039971718952050692

:negative:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cardi B did nothing wrong.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

it’s good that all the replies I scrolled through are on the Nixon train I guess...

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Gonna go vote for Nixon/Williams/Teachout tomorrow even if my hopes aren’t high. Glad to at least run up the score a bit and try to push things left. I think I convinced my parents on Williams and Teachout at least, so that’s something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

update on the Brooklyn County Committee meeting: it's on the 27th. it's also at Kingsborough Community College, far away from the trains. it's also starting at 6pm, when many people are in the process of commuting from work, to say nothing of parents who need childcare. i already hate Brooklyn party politics and i've only been in the nitty gritty for about a week

mrmcd posted:

I mean it seems like she's a pretty green candidate making a lot of unforced errors
making up an entire story about your class background to get more leftie cred is a deliberate error. actions speak louder than words, and she's been active in housing and policing issues for a few years, but some people aren't going to look past the scandals and see that
a celebrity designated as woke by twitter liberals ends up having lovely politics. who would've guessed? at least TI's on the Nixon train :unsmith:

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.
my biggest concern about salazar is that she should've known this stuff was going to come out and didn't seem to have any contingency plans in place in case it did.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rubber Tucky posted:

my biggest concern about salazar is that she should've known this stuff was going to come out and didn't seem to have any contingency plans in place in case it did.
i'll give her credit for continuing to run in the face of scandal, as much as she's been flailing around lately. the last challenger to Dilan gave up at the first sign of trouble, but she still pulled in 40% of the vote anyway. given that fact, i'd give salazar a puncher's chance

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'll give her credit for continuing to run in the face of scandal, as much as she's been flailing around lately. the last challenger to Dilan gave up at the first sign of trouble, but she still pulled in 40% of the vote anyway. given that fact, i'd give salazar a puncher's chance

yeah, i mean, it's still just a state senate primary race. my hope is that if and when her next election comes, she'll be more prepared to shape her narrative

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it only occurred to me a couple hours ago how few good democrats there are in the state senate. Gustavo Rivera and Liz Krueger definitely... maybe Luis Sepulveda since he supported Bernie in the primaries? that's really about all i can think of. more than taking out ex-IDC scumbags, we have a chance to make a better state senate. hopefully we don't gently caress it up tomorrow

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

soooo civil court judges? how do I choose?

I’m pumped to vote for Nixon/Williams/Teachout/Salazar tomorrow but I don’t know where to find a good guide on civil court judges

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

All my votes are basically handed to me. I’m in Harlem so my vote in the primary is just “most left person”.

We’re voting absentee and my girlfriend just was like “fill in mine the same as yours, you can google politicians as well as I can and we agree”.

Like it was good to vote for something not Cuomo but I feel hella useless compared to when I was upstate voting against Faso and the like in generals.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I voted

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Voting only starts at noon here, so it'll be after work for me.

This is going to be my last link about Salazar, seems like a good summary with yet more contradictory information.

Whether she wins or loses I can't wait to see how her diehard supporters contort themselves when the next round of bullshit comes up.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

soooo civil court judges? how do I choose?

I’m pumped to vote for Nixon/Williams/Teachout/Salazar tomorrow but I don’t know where to find a good guide on civil court judges

There's basically no way to get any information because the who judicial election system in ny is a huge shady scam.

Anyway, as far as I can tell your best bet is to just follow the Approved/No Approved from the NY Bar Association: https://www.nycbar.org/media-listin...n-new-york-city

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Whether she wins or loses I can't wait to see how her diehard supporters contort themselves when the next round of bullshit comes up.

If someone supports your political program you should stop being a pussy and hand-wringing about their personal narrative like a moralizing liberal

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

If someone supports your political program you should stop being a pussy and hand-wringing about their personal narrative like a moralizing liberal

If someone's constantly running on their background while repeatedly lying and misleading about that background, why should you trust them with public office? Why do you think they're not going to jump to entirely different positions as soon as they gain power?

===

Also, more developments in the BDS-baiting mailer the NY Dems sent out: Cuomo effectively confirms that one of his top aides approved it, "in an ad hoc fashion, but he only saw the positive section of the mailer and never saw the negative section" :fuckoff:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Grifters who switch political identities like socks are great when they are currently leftist, bad when they are liberal

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

LinYutang posted:

Grifters who switch political identities like socks are great when they are currently leftist, bad when they are liberal

That's correct

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

just voted :cool:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

That's correct

You're just banking on her next grift being consistent with your goals for some reason. Good luck with that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
basically im just tired of the whining pissbaby posts about her. namaste

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If someone's constantly running on their background while repeatedly lying and misleading about that background, why should you trust them with public office? Why do you think they're not going to jump to entirely different positions as soon as they gain power?

I know a few people in that district who were initially enthusiastic about Salazar but were weirded out when it turned out she grew up in a mansion with a maid after claiming she grew up poor

wtf was the campaign strategy there lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

There's actually several lines at my polling place in Park Slope. This is literally the most busy I've seen it outside of the 2016 general.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I was voter number 8 at 7 AM lol

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

zakharov posted:

I think I was 14 around 7:15 or so?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

zakharov posted:

High turnout!

Also: Voted!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

#44 in Bushwick, Salazar’s district. saw one canvasser for her, two for Dilan. I voted for her because he’s a huge entrenched slimeball who’s not even putting up a single positive policy decision, just attacks. I would much rather a politician misconstrue their upbringing than actively conceal campaign contributions

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I voted really early and now that I think about it I don't remember filling in a bubble for Jumaane Williams

I don't remember for sure but the ballots aren't really well-designed and I might have missed that section

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

I voted really early and now that I think about it I don't remember filling in a bubble for Jumaane Williams

I don't remember for sure but the ballots aren't really well-designed and I might have missed that section

Blaming you when he loses by one vote.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
You registered Dems and your..."voting in primaries." :mad:

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
I had the same reaction a couple of blocks from my polling place, where I thought maybe I had absent-mindedly bubbled in for Cuomo because I had been thinking about how much I dislike him while I was marking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

Taintrunner posted:

You're little more than a white supremacist who cares more about decorum than defending poor people. gently caress off.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think the guy whose take on ethnic cleansing is "well all those Palestinians just need to find another place to live already" opposes Salazar because he's concerned about decorum.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
#26 in Pelham, Biaggi's hometown. I think Biaggi has a chance against Klein, but I'm not really sure. Even here Klein had a lot Facebook support from "prominent" people (real estate & finance folks), a lot of talk about how ACTUALLY IDC was good because <talking points>, though also a lot of those people going to bat were very-truly-concerned-about-Dems Republicans who can't vote.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yes. The knock on the woman who grew up next door to baseball superstar Keith Hernandez is that she is not a rich gated community dickhead.

Listen. I like Salazar’s politics. I hope she wins. I don’t live in her district and won’t be voting for her as a result. But oh my god was she the worst possible candidate to run with those politics it seems like.

Presumably it's okay for rich dickheads to have "gently caress the poor" politics, but if they care about the poor even a little they're a hypocrite and a bad candidate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VitalSigns posted:

Presumably it's okay for rich dickheads to have "gently caress the poor" politics, but if they care about the poor even a little they're a hypocrite and a bad candidate.

Presumably you’re wrong. I just don’t want to vote for a character from a loving Pulp song either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I gotta say, it’s hilarious how much the folks who can’t handle nuanced criticism of Salazar sound like the same people they would tear the gently caress into at the drop of a hat for doing the same for Hillary Clinton.