Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t worry they disciplined some workers!

Oh and if you were wondering why the politicians weren’t more involved....

Pelosi's nephew was also an executive in property acquisition at Lennar Urban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
What's the likelihood anything comes of this? I know the US has done far worse but won't these be expensive developments aimed at well-to-do white people? Hasn't that been a historical line rarely crossed and when it has happened, ala Enron/theranos/etc there has been consequences, eventually.

Any chance of this tarnishing Harris' rising star?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t worry they disciplined some workers!

This article just keeps getting worse

this loving article posted:

Tetra Tech is also a subcontractor on a $1.4 billion work arrangement with the Department of Energy to clean up pollution at Los Alamos in New Mexico—the historic home of the Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb (which was shipped in secret to Hunters Point, where it was loaded onto a ship for delivery to the Pacific). Critiques of that arrangement have fallen on deaf ears at the Department of Energy, which stated that Tetra Tech would remain involved.

Tetra Tech has yet to comment publicly on the findings. However, the company appears to be preparing for a leadership shift—and to compensate departing leaders.

According to SEC filings, in March, company shareholders approved a severance plan for Tetra Tech executives. For the next two years, executives “terminated by the company without ‘cause’” are eligible for “lump sum cash severance payments,” including salary, bonuses, and “full vesting of outstanding unvested stock options.”

It really is a new gilded age.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tetra Tech Wins $60M Deal From the County of Los Angeles

This was two days ago.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:doh: They can't ALL be thieves and liars, right?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:doh: They can't ALL be thieves and liars, right?

got some bad news,

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This seems like some Latin American tier grift going on. Which I suppose shouldn't surprise me given all the political dynasties in California.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What's funny is that the city specifically engineered this latest test so that it could be passed and building could continue. They're not testing for alpha radiation, which is the most likely kind of radioactive material they'd find given what we know about the site, and they're specifically doing a shallow surface test far from people's homes because they don't want to deal with what is likely buried deeper underneath them. They're also not testing for other contaminants, even though you'd expect a site that was an active shipyard for nearly 80 years to have all kinds of poo poo in the ground and there's no reason to trust that Tetra Tech did that remediation either.

And even with all that STILL they're finding chunks of radium just chilling on the ground there.

I expect heads are going to roll eventually, but it's going to take a fight to get us there because the entire city government and some of the biggest names in the Democratic Party are completely complicit in this. All the powers that be want it to just quietly go away.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unfortunately for them, you can't just wish away loving radioactive debris.

Unless you live in a Republican state.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

poopinmymouth posted:

Any chance of this tarnishing Harris' rising star?

Hard to see how Harris has much to do with this unless you are going to claim that every SF pol is automatically affected. She never voted on any of this, has no financial involvement, etc.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

predicto posted:

Hard to see how Harris has much to do with this unless you are going to claim that every SF pol is automatically affected. She never voted on any of this, has no financial involvement, etc.

Would she have been in a position to prosecute Tetra Tech?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

she declined to prosecute Steve Mnuchin and OneWest Bank and that hasn’t done poo poo to tarnish her #Resistance cred, so I can’t imagine something lower profile and local like this could do it

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Harris is far less implicated than most SF politicians. None of the really criminal poo poo was discovered while she was DA, and she was nearing the end of her term as Attorney General when the first inklings that the soil samples had been faked started to leak. The real definitive statement that 98 percent of the soil samples happened after she was already in the Senate. Arguably she has less to lose and she's trying to burnish her progressive bonafides at the moment so she would probably be a much better target for a pressure campaign than Feinstein, even if she is a product of the same machine.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Skyscraper posted:

Hard to say. The information that came out in 2014 was long after she was no longer SF Attorney General. The Feds are mostly responsible for the prosecution of contractors that lie to the navy. The feds put a couple of Tetra Tech people in prison for the coverup back in May, but she's a senator now, not a prosecutor.

I mean, I guess the State Attorney General could have gotten more involved in that window between 2014 and 2016, but usually the state will back off when the feds are taking the leading prosecutorial role.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

predicto posted:

I mean, I guess the State Attorney General could have gotten more involved in that window between 2014 and 2016, but usually the state will back off when the feds are taking the leading prosecutorial role.

For a billion dollars, it seems like she should've been more involved, as state AG.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

We're getting a satellite hell yeah

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In this week's episode of "eat poo poo feinstein":

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/9/14/17861350/dianne-feinstein-supreme-court-brett-kavanaugh-letter-sexual-assault-high-school

She cannot die soon enough.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

feinstein you worthless loving enabler retire and withdraw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ugh.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Alright so the paper I was referring to was a analysis put out by the Pacific Institute called California's Next Million Acre Feet. In which they argue that for substantially less than a new desalination plant or several new reservoirs California could implement statewide infrastructure,housing and agriucultural equipment changes that would save a metric fuckton of water.

For people who dont know an acre foot is the amount of water needed to cover an acre of land up to a depth of one foot. The unit of measurement is often used to discuss large volumes of water. One acre foot is 325,853 gallons or 1,233 cubic meters.

Anyways, Cooley, the primary author argues that just agricultural equipment and irrigation reform would save 699,000 acre-feet of water (they mention that some of this water cant be reallocated elsewhere but its saving is still benefical and list several reasons why). Their projected cost for this is $575 million with roughly $47 million of operation costs every year.

The Carlsbad desal plant does about 50 million gallons a day so 50 mil x 365 = 18.25 billion gallons of water per year. This is roughly 56,009 acre feet of water. So the proposed reforms would save something like 12 times the amount of water that the largest desalination plant in the northern hemisphere produces, for half the price as the construction cost for the plant is $1 billion.

I read through the report and there is a lot I agree with, particularly their introductory statement that water management is a complex problem that requires multiple strategies. Here is my critique-

Regarding urban conservation:

Their focus is on indoor urban water use rather than outdoor urban water which I don't like. Indoor water is not necessarily conserved at a 1:1 ratio. Low flow toilets and washers send concentrated poo and detergent solution to wastewater treatment plants, increasing treatment costs and carbon footprint per unit volume treated water produced. In areas like Sacramento where the treated wastewater is returned and used downstream, it is less important to conserve than coastal areas where the treated water is irretrievable. Landscape replacement is a much more direct if initially pricey water saver. It is also a lot more visible and therefore culturally influential. That's my 2 cents and would have liked them to run some numbers on that instead.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0043135417306425?via%3Dihub

Metering water use is of course extremely important and I agree with aggressive block pricing especially during scarcity.

Regarding ag conservation:

quote:

For this analysis, we chose among the simplest, proven agricultural water-use efficiency measures available, which include: (1) weather-based irrigation scheduling, (2) regulated deficit irrigation, and (3) efficient irrigation technologies, e.g., drip and sprinkler systems.

The first two ideas are great but there are some natural and behavioral consequences for subsidizing irrigation efficiency. For example when compensated for installing drip irrigation systems, farmers often use as much or more water to get better crop yields, increase their planting acreage, or plant more water intensive crops, rather than using less water. For this reason, additional measures including mandatory metering of well extractions and riparian water are needed, and should have been included in the analysis. They proposed metering residences, why not ag?

From last month:
The paradox of irrigation efficiency
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6404/748/tab-pdf

And depending on the site hydrogeology and the water source, inefficient irrigation can help refill aquifers with water that might otherwise be evaporating in a reservoir. As a matter of fact the new hotness right now is getting farmers to flood their land during peak river flows to provide flood attenuation and groundwater recharge.

https://water.ca.gov/Programs/All-Programs/Flood-MAR

predicto posted:

No. TBH, almonds and other nut trees are not a bad use of water, if you have it. The crop is valuable.

The real crime is the upriver assholes who literally flood their fields to grow alfalfa hay because their water is free, and then ship the hay to China. Virtually no value is created, and everyone downstream is screwed.

The problem with nut trees is twofold. One which has been addressed is they require a lot of water per nut. The other is, you need can't fallow the fields during droughts. Something like tomatoes you can just replant during good years and subsidize the farmer during scarcity (although this is subject to a lot of abuse). Basically once you plant a crop like almonds it gives you a foot in the door to complain about "MY INVESTMENT"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I apologize for any previous posts that gave Feinstein the benefit of the doubt re: holding the Kavanaugh Assault poo poo back for the benefit of the victim.

God, loving die already Dianne.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

I apologize for any previous posts that gave Feinstein the benefit of the doubt re: holding the Kavanaugh Assault poo poo back for the benefit of the victim.

God, loving die already Dianne.

Why? The victim’s statement I saw seemed to say that she had reported it confidentially and expected Feinstein to keep it confidential. It sounded like she only brought it public once it leaked. Am I missing something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sen. Dianne Feinstein didn’t tell fellow Democrats on the Judiciary Committee that she’d received a letter accusing Brett Kavanaugh of attempting to force himself on a woman while both were in high school because, as the New Yorkerreports, she didn’t want his confirmation hearings to be about his private life.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/steckel/status/942074310914490368

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I'm no Feinstein fan, but this is some dishonest bullshit right here. This happened in 1964, not 1984. John Shelly was the mayor, and Feinstein wasn't even on the board of supervisors yet.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/article/When-a-Confederate-battle-flag-flew-in-front-of-11956809.php#photo-13892623

edit - looks like I was wrong. My bad.

predicto fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

predicto posted:

I'm no Feinstein fan, but this is some dishonest bullshit right here. This happened in 1964, not 1984. John Shelly was the mayor, and Feinstein wasn't even on the board of supervisors yet.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/article/When-a-Confederate-battle-flag-flew-in-front-of-11956809.php#photo-13892623

Really? Idk this was all well before my time. I got that tweet from this article, which seemed well-sourced enough. https://splinternews.com/dianne-feinstein-has-always-been-bad-1821399794

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

predicto posted:

No, that was a different time. This picture is Richard Bradley taking down the flag on April 15, 1984.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

fermun posted:

No, that was a different time. This picture is Richard Bradley taking down the flag on April 15, 1984.

Are you sure? The story says the confederate flag was cut down in 1964. Was it cut down twice?

edit - I followed the links and now I get it

So it happened again in 1984, then that means the collection of flags was up for 20 years (some of it is still there btw, including the Lone Star Texas Flag and the Don't Tread on Me Flag). And at that time the Dukes of Hazzard was the top rated show on TV despite the same lovely flag on top of the car.

In 1984 consciousness about that flag was not very developed, and the Spartacus League Trotskyites were right about the flag but it's not surprising that they got some pushback when they unilaterally tore it down from what was supposedly a historical display of a couple dozen flags.

I guess what I'm saying is that people have enough reasons to hate DiFi without pretending that she's a racist who loves the Confederate Flag. But it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, so carry on.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

predicto posted:

Are you sure? The story says the confederate flag was cut down in 1964. Was it cut down twice?

So it happened again in 1984, then that means the collection of flags was up for 20 years (some of it is still there btw, including the Lone Star Texas Flag and the Don't Tread on Me Flag). And at that time the Dukes of Hazzard was the top rated show on TV despite the same lovely flag on top of the car.

In 1984 consciousness about that flag was not very developed, and the Spartacus League Trotskyites were right about the flag but it's not surprising that they got some pushback when they unilaterally tore it down from what was supposedly a historical display of a couple dozen flags.

I guess what I'm saying is that people have enough reasons to hate DiFi without pretending that she's a racist who loves the Confederate Flag. But it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, so carry on.

she kept putting it up to win over dixiecrats

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

predicto posted:

I guess what I'm saying is

I was wrong.

there finished it for you. np.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

So I read that article from two days ago and was upset as well. But the WaPo article from today interviewing the woman who accused Kavanaugh seems to make it pretty clear that the person who wrote the letter expected it to be kept confidential: https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...m=.e0e697a6da9b

Relevant quote:

quote:

By late August, Ford had decided not to come forward, calculating that doing so would upend her life and probably would not affect Kavanaugh’s confirmation. “Why suffer through the annihilation if it’s not going to matter?” she said.

Her story leaked anyway. On Wednesday, The Intercept reported that Feinstein had a letter describing an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school, and that Feinstein was refusing to share it with her Democratic colleagues.

This makes it sound like Feinstein was respecting the woman’s decision. Maybe I’m missing smth still.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It sounds like she took the worst possible course of action for what she wanted to happen. She should have gone to the police or the FBI with it if she wanted him to be quietly prosecuted, not send it to her federal representatives.

It also sounds like Feinstein isn't at fault here. She respected the victim's wishes at the time. Now the victim feels it's her duty to come forward now that the cat is out of the bag.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 17, 2018

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

predicto posted:

Best I can figure out the timeline from those articles, after it had been cut down in 1964 a new Confederate flag was put up and was there for 20 years. That was replaced with a new one that was donated and put up to mark the 119th anniversary of the surrender of the Confederacy, the 119th anniversary was April 9th, 1984. Richard Bradley tore it down on April 15, 1984 and it was burned. A new Confederate flag was put up on April 18, 1984 (this date is based off of it saying it was put back up the day after the acquittal for the KKK 1979 Greensboro massacre trial, the acquittal happened April 17, 1984). Richard Bradley tore it down again on April 18, 1984 about 4 hours after it was put up. The flagpole remained empty until June, a new Confederate flag was put back up around June 25, 1984 then the longshoreman's union cut down the flagpole with an acetylene torch on June 29, 1984. After the flag pole was cut down, a Confederate flag was never put up again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fermun posted:

then the longshoreman's union cut down the flagpole with an acetylene torch on June 29, 1984
Fuckin' badass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fermun posted:

The flagpole remained empty until June, a new Confederate flag was put back up around June 25, 1984 then the longshoreman's union cut down the flagpole with an acetylene torch on June 29, 1984. After the flag pole was cut down, a Confederate flag was never put up again.

Direct action.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It sounds like she took the worst possible course of action for what she wanted to happen. She should have gone to the police or the FBI with it if she wanted him to be quietly prosecuted, not send it to her federal representatives.

It also sounds like Feinstein isn't at fault here. She respected the victim's wishes at the time. Now the victim feels it's her duty to come forward now that the cat is out of the bag.

I dunno about worst possible way. It does sound like if the leak hadn't occurred Eshoo and Feinstein were actually doing a good job not folding to pressure to release it, and just using clout as a Senator to get the FBI to investigate. Granted, the "if the leak hadn't occurred" part is a realllllly big if, but I can see how going to the FBI directly would seem intimidating.

e: Also why was the confederate flag up in the first place? Seems super odd.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fermun posted:

The flagpole remained empty until June, a new Confederate flag was put back up around June 25, 1984 then the longshoreman's union cut down the flagpole with an acetylene torch on June 29, 1984. After the flag pole was cut down, a Confederate flag was never put up again.

gently caress, I can only hope to be this cool and good one day.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If anyone wants more detail, a friend linked me this podcast: https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/330-feinstein-and-the-flag
Actual discussion starts around ~15 - 20 minutes and goes into good detail about how terrible Feinstein has been/is/continues to be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Fienstein wanted to look good to Dixiecrats which would make her look good to Mondale which would increase the odds of her getting the VP nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RandomPauI posted:

Fienstein wanted to look good to Dixiecrats which would make her look good to Mondale which would increase the odds of her getting the VP nomination.

That's some stable genius thinking on her part right there.