Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dual wielding for me lives or dies based on the reload animation. i am willing to accept revolver ocelot spinning as a magical reload method, but if the guns just lower off-screen then it is much less fun to me than using one gun and getting a proper reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Max Payne 3 you can dual wield any two one-handed guns and Max will reload them individually. Revolver and an uzi? You bet he'll do two different animations. Two of the same gun? Special animation just for dual wielding that weapon type. Yet another reason Max Payne 3 is the best third person shooter ever made. :blastu:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The only good dualwielding in fps games are from mechwarrior :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ularg posted:

Dual wielding weapons is boring. There I said it. Most people don't know how to design a good dual wield weapon, and most of the time you get one and you lose out on other fun parts of the game, like losing the ability to melee and throw grenades in Halo 2.

It's boring when the dual-wielding is just "this is a normal gun but the sprite has two guns in it" or "your gun can fire two shots instead of one when you pull the trigger," but extremely god when you're dual-wielding SMGs one-handed or if you can dual-wield two separate weapons. :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

In Max Payne 3 you can dual wield any two one-handed guns and Max will reload them individually. Revolver and an uzi? You bet he'll do two different animations. Two of the same gun? Special animation just for dual wielding that weapon type. Yet another reason Max Payne 3 is the best third person shooter ever made. :blastu:

Best third person shooter ever is Max Payne 2 sorry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The M2/Infinity shotgun isn't sawn off. It's just...like that.

Ularg posted:

Halo 1 Assault Rifle is oddly the most satisfying automatic weapon I've ever used. Something about its inaccuracies and it's incredible sound design makes it so satisfying to use.

(I need to buy/play max payne)

The rear end rifle has great sound effects and its being a miss-happy piece of poo poo certainly does make it feel powerful. If only it had some actual power to go with the feeling. But its successors in the later games are definitely way less fun.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Magical reload? Are there really people who haven't seen Terminator 2?

edit: yes i know that it's originally from ancient western movies

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 19, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Those might be the best 3D model versions of doom monsters I've seen so far. They don't suck.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does anyone have an example of those fake screenshots?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sininu posted:

Does anyone have an example of those fake screenshots?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Im the rolling pin gun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Intel P666

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My god. Doomguy's real name was Sergeant Joe Doe all along.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GUI posted:

I think I'm going to be sick.

Dual Weapons in Wolfenstein don't feel good to use though imo. Something about them seems...off. I can't put my finger on it, but it's almost like the way the feedback works in the newer Wolf games with dual wielding makes me feel LESS powerful, even though I've got two guns!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I kind of agree. It doesn't feel like dual wielding kills things any faster than single guns in the new Wolfenstein games. Maybe the big badass dudes who take a full magazine to put down, or the enemies with shields, but you have to pump tons of bullets into them anyway so really it's just expediting the process.

edit: With the exception of the shotgun flechette rounds. Being able to poo poo those out of every orifice around corners and stuff is very valuable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I never not dual-wielded so I wouldn't know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CJacobs posted:

I kind of agree. It doesn't feel like dual wielding kills things any faster than single guns in the new Wolfenstein games. Maybe the big badass dudes who take a full magazine to put down, or the enemies with shields, but you have to pump tons of bullets into them anyway so really it's just expediting the process.

edit: With the exception of the shotgun flechette rounds. Being able to poo poo those out of every orifice around corners and stuff is very valuable.

Yeah, taking dual shotguns to the big dudes feels good. Other than that...eh.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Some of that gore in those screenshots looks totally ripped from Carmageddon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you want pinpoint accuracy while dual wielding just use the laser guns

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I think the problem with dual wielding guns is a lot of games that give you the option do so only based on the surface aspect of what makes it cool i.e. double your fun with double the gun, without particularly making any effort to make this particular instance of doubled guns fun or interesting or even any sort of real upgrade over just using a single gun. Max Payne and FEAR did it right because they knew their influence and worked the mechanics of it around that - I can't speak as much about Max Payne despite owning all three but FEAR had the pistol's already decent mag capacity doubled with two guns and the fact that going into slow-motion also increased the fire rate of semi-auto guns, which made twin pistols one of the more devastating options for a slow-mo gunfight in turn for slightly less ammo across the game (each pickup gives like half your total ammo back but you're lucky to find more than three per Interval).

Sometimes the guns themselves just aren't satisfying even paired up, too. I never so much as remember Serious Sam's dual revolvers once I have literally anything else (and this is a series where you can traditionally find a rocket launcher and three other weapons in the first level, so...) while in C&C Renegade I would stick with its pistol as much as possible until I started getting outranged by snipers halfway through the game, and even then it took me several deaths at their hands before I took the hint and started sniping back because its pistol was just that good.

site posted:

If you want pinpoint accuracy while dual wielding just use the laser guns

this is a point against it too, when they add more bullet spread to compensate for more bullet. I get the reason why but when the random deviation seems to gently caress me over more than anybody else that's when I lose interest and just look for a bigger gun.

e: :words:

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 19, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My perspective on dual wielding is that the more impractical the weapon, the more fun it becomes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

My perspective on dual wielding is that the more impractical the weapon, the more fun it becomes.
If you're not dual-wielding sniper rifles, are you even trying? I mean, come on. You have two hands and two eyes*. You know it makes sense.

(* if you have less than the regularly prescribed amount of limbs or ocular organs than I'm sorry and I guess it doesn't make much sense for you specifically at all)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I love akimbos because, when done right, they have that scrappy, kinetic feel I crave in my shooters. I can't stand akimbo weapons bigger than a sidearm, though. I think part of it is that it's way easier to provide good player feedback from smaller guns. You can have your pistol or Uzi muzzles flip around like crazy and it feels good in a game, if you did the same for heavier weapons it might have more verisimilitude but would look ridiculous - which I suspect is why Wolfenstein's akimbo feels so anemic / bad /Goldeneye-ish.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

Wielding two flare guns in Blood is both fun and practical.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Mierenneuker posted:

Wielding two flare guns in Blood is both fun and practical.

Dual sawed-off shotguns was the best.

That was one of the few things Blood II got right, if a gun could be dual-wielded you could just do so by picking up a second one. And ironically, the inability to use secondary fire with dual weapons was its greatest strength, because it forced you to use the guns how they were designed to be used rather than whatever other role the secondary fire tried to ineptly shoehorn onto it. Two pistols were objectively better than one because primary fire still fired faster than secondary without the wider spread or the weird insistence on pointing it at the ground, and two SMGs were objectively better than one because it doubled the amount of lead you sprayed in the general direction of close-range enemies and the pistol(s) or assault rifle were still more accurate and faster than its secondary fire for enemies beyond spitting distance. The shotgun, surprisingly, was the only mixed bag, since you "upgraded" to the equivalent of secondary fire with every shot but the devs forgot to put more than three boxes of shells in the game so you never got to use it anyway. I don't think it's even guaranteed you'll get two shotguns in a single playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a mod for the original Max Payne that lets you dual wield any weapon and it is glorious diving around with twin grenade launchers. Max can't die while you're bullet time diving in any of the games, so you can dive directly into the center of a group of enemies and fire two grenades at the poor schmuck that's closest and just explode everybody including yourself.

edit: Dual Jackhammers was a lot of fun too. Max also threw two molotovs when you hit the throw button which often resulted in one going toward the crosshair and the other hitting the ceiling right above it which would then fall down and set you on fire.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 19, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best dual wield is whatever quirk allowed Duke Nukem to run around while kicking with both feet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

The best dual wield is whatever quirk allowed Duke Nukem to run around while kicking with both feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjGZg_XikYM

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i've been messing around with a mod that adds a poo poo ton more characters to samsara and boy is it nice to play with the redneck rampage weapons outside of the terrible redneck rampage levels.

What mod is this? I really like Samsara but I played it a whole lot a few months ago and got burnt out on it so I wouldn't mind some new characters.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

If you're not dual-wielding sniper rifles, are you even trying? I mean, come on. You have two hands and two eyes*. You know it makes sense.

(* if you have less than the regularly prescribed amount of limbs or ocular organs than I'm sorry and I guess it doesn't make much sense for you specifically at all)

Pathetic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked using the tank shells with the all weapons cheat because it looked like Bond was exploding dudes with his mind.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Grenade launcher/rcp90

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
I really loved Half-Life: Echoes, what are some similar quality SP mods for HL1? So far I found Poke646 and USS Darkstar they look good, haven't tried them yet.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Uhh Nope posted:

I really loved Half-Life: Echoes, what are some similar quality SP mods for HL1? So far I found Poke646 and USS Darkstar they look good, haven't tried them yet.
I don't know how well they hold up but I remember liking Edge of Darkness, Case Closed and Someplace Else at the time. Also I found this on Google, which seems to have most of the big ones.

I tried Half-Life C.A.G.E.D. recently and didn't like it at all. The music was great, but the gameplay consisted of 90% trial end error bullshit and 9% hitscan bullet spread RNG.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Akimbo guns is always cool, if John Woo said it was cool, it's cool. I even read a fluffy book about John Woo for a middle school assignment.(Ten Thousand Bullets: The Cinematic Journey of John Woo) I even asked the 3DR team about adding it to DNF back in the early 2000s in a DNF chatroom thing, and they said it was not the style they were looking for, thinking more like Schwarzenneger with one big gun etc. But I was like, the dude has two guns on the cover of Duke 3D, I mean think about it folks. Plus he dual wields in the N64 and PSX games, which were made in the 90s by Chow Yun Fat himself.

Somebody knocks on my door, the door of my mostly subterranean hobbit hovel. They say sir, is dual pistols aka akimbo guns still cool? I start breakdancing, and well yeah it's cool.

Now, mixing and matching every gun, like some maniac? That feels more like a novelty, and usually ends up feeling less unique. But it can be fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In The Darkness 2 you had a gun in each hand and a tentacle demon on each shoulder, effectively meaning you had four arms and it was good. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Akimbo guns is always cool, if John Woo said it was cool, it's cool. I even read a fluffy book about John Woo for a middle school assignment.(Ten Thousand Bullets: The Cinematic Journey of John Woo) I even asked the 3DR team about adding it to DNF back in the early 2000s in a DNF chatroom thing, and they said it was not the style they were looking for, thinking more like Schwarzenneger with one big gun etc. But I was like, the dude has two guns on the cover of Duke 3D, I mean think about it folks. Plus he dual wields in the N64 and PSX games, which were made in the 90s by Chow Yun Fat himself.

Somebody knocks on my door, the door of my mostly subterranean hobbit hovel. They say sir, is dual pistols aka akimbo guns still cool? I start breakdancing, and well yeah it's cool.

Now, mixing and matching every gun, like some maniac? That feels more like a novelty, and usually ends up feeling less unique. But it can be fun.

Akimbo guns are pretty lame. John Woo had an obsession with it, but he also has a fetish for bird wings (birds, gull-wing doors on sports cars, doves, et cetera) so make of that what you will. When I was a kid, I saw Lara Croft on the October 1996 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly; she was wielding dual pistols (as is her wont) and for some reason that image was indelibly associated with something awful in my adolescent mind.

I wrote to the editors of EGM for an entirely different reason--I was actually receiving my copies of the magazine about two weeks after they were available on store shelves--so they ended up sending me four issues I had already received as a sort of apology, including a second copy of the Tomb Raider issue. I wrote them back a second time so that I could confront the absurdity of this, and they ended up extending my subscription by another year, gratis.

I still think about that October 1996 issue of EGM, though: Lara Croft, with crude polygon-pistols aimed at the viewer. Everything changed after that.

Akimbo guns are a garbage mechanic and you might as well call yourself "heavy trash" if you disagree.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Googling that cover now, it could be the Mona Lisa of gaming related imagery. I did not expect that level of artistry when I typed it into google. I want them to bring dual pistols back to the Tomb Raider games like at the end of the 2013 game. They pranked us, and I do not do business with prankers. Except the Impractical Jokers on TruTV. And Borat. Okay also Bad Grandpa.

I may not agree with your take on akimbo guns, but goddamn it do I respect it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Heavy Metal posted:

I even read a fluffy book about John Woo for a middle school assignment.(Ten Thousand Bullets: The Cinematic Journey of John Woo)

Was it any good? I loooove the many works of Woo :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoombatINC posted:

Was it any good? I loooove the many works of Woo :D

It was okay! It had stuff like pointing out how neither Van Damme or John Woo had a great grasp of English at the time, and they felt they almost connected psychically or something like that. But overall it was pretty fluffy, pre-Wikipedia, but pretty much the author running through his career and a few personal details here and there. Having it on your shelf is probably worthwhile just on principle though.